Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

Kennedy can't wait for Melbourne derby final

03/05/2015 

The experienced centre-forward is looking forward to locking horns with his team's cross-city rivals on the biggest stage yet

Josh Kennedy says the A-League semi-final between Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory on Friday will be the highlight of the season to date for both clubs.

John van 't Schip's men booked a showdown with the Premiers' Plate winners courtesy of an upset 2-0 triumph away to Wellington Phoenix on Sunday night.

City's first win in a playoff game has earned them the right to play in front of what is likely to be a packed Etihad Stadium this weekend, with a spot in the grand final up for grabs.

“It’ll be the highlight of both teams' seasons so far,” goal-scorer Kennedy said.

“It’s unfortunate it’s not the grand final – Victory v City – but I think the boys will be looking forward to it.”

Veteran Socceroo Kennedy opened the scoring a minute past the hour mark at Westpac Stadium, stretching out a leg to turn in Aaron Mooy's shot.

“I was just in the right place at the right time,” he said.

“Before that I had a few good chances, so it was sort of building and obviously I was happy and excited to poke one in.”

“I thought I was getting closer and closer and those two crosses … were brilliant. I was just where I was meant to be.”

Despite patchy form leading into the finals, including a 4-1 hiding at the hands of Adelaide United last weekend, Kennedy claimed his side never lost confidence.

“It was completely different circumstances to the Adelaide game and when we came down to it, I think we were confident that we could get a result.

“The boys dug deep to come away and get the result like we did today, especially after the last couple of weeks that were pretty rubbish.

“Overall I think it was our best game (of the season)”.

City need to quickly regroup with just five days to prepare for Friday’s blockbuster against Victory at Etihad Stadium.

“It could be a good thing that we don’t have too long to think about it,” said Kennedy.

“We’ll no doubt have a small run on Tuesday, then Wednesday, Thursday, that’s it.”

“I don’t think we’re too fussed about the short week or the short turnaround.”

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2015/05/03/11369172/kennedy-cant-wait-for-melbourne-derby-final

Can't get them all in. He was ok to be honest.

He is paid to score goals from the chance he got at about the 65min mark. I don't care what others say, that goes in its "game on".

When you are close to a 1 trick pony, you've got to do your trick. Very Disappointing

• Like 1

He'd be a handy squad player to sometimes bring off the bench and then bomb the ball into the penalty area.

As a marquee striker compare his output yesterday with Berisha.

It was embarrassing.

Edited by Parrot

He'd be a handy squad player to sometimes bring off the bench and then bomb the ball into the penalty area.

As a marquee striker compare his output yesterday with Berisha.

It was embarrassing.

Absolutely. Can anyone else think of a player in our squad that would have made the run that resulted in their first goal, let alone finish like that?

Get rid of this guy, yesterday's game put everyone in the spotlight...

It was clear to me and a lot of City supporters were I was sitting.. that Kennedy's best football and athletic ability is well and truly past him. Not even a full pre-season will help him next season.. Definitely not worth the Marquee tag or wages and as far as being a squad player his to quite as a player and doesn't have the leadership quality required to lead a young up coming striker..

Our attendances won't go up with Kennedy and can't see him being a fan favourite either.. All of this = Not a Marquee Player.

• Like 2

Useless. Supply to him was also useless tonight.

What?

What do you mean 'What'...?

How many of our crosses or corners failed to clear the first defender? How many crosses were landing on the penalty spot. None. He had 1 chance and scuffed it wide. Apart from that Kennedy was virtually unsighted and didn't trouble Del Pierre who bossed him all night. Poor performance by our midfielders and Kennedy did nothing to help himself.

What?

What do you mean 'What'...?

How many of our crosses or corners failed to clear the first defender? How many crosses were landing on the penalty spot. None. He had 1 chance and scuffed it wide. Apart from that Kennedy was virtually unsighted and didn't trouble Del Pierre who bossed him all night. Poor performance by our midfielders and Kennedy did nothing to help himself.

Your post was a bit contradictory initially, he cant really be useless if the supply to him was useless. But you've cleared up what you meant now and I agree. Supply to him was useless, as always, but he should have done better with the couple of good chances he had (he had 2 good chances from what I remember, not 1).

Missing 2 chances is hardly the end of the world though, Novillo misses 20 a match and everyone thinks he is brilliant.

I also noticed some good work from Kennedy on a couple of occasions bringing other players into play. Again, despite getting no service, as always.

Edited by Tesla

Not a Kennedy fan. Speed is everything, how many times has he been run down this year? Doesn't offer enough for me.

His lack of speed as a forward is not acceptable. Can't see it improving next season as he isn't getting any younger.

Not even going to mention injury prone body.

Wouldn't miss him tbh

What?What do you mean 'What'...?How many of our crosses or corners failed to clear the first defender? How many crosses were landing on the penalty spot. None. He had 1 chance and scuffed it wide. Apart from that Kennedy was virtually unsighted and didn't trouble Del Pierre who bossed him all night. Poor performance by our midfielders and Kennedy did nothing to help himself.Your post was a bit contradictory initially, he cant really be useless if the supply to him was useless. But you've cleared up what you meant now and I agree. Supply to him was useless, as always, but he should have done better with the couple of good chances he had (he had 2 good chances from what I remember, not 1).Missing 2 chances is hardly the end of the world though, Novillo misses 20 a match and everyone thinks he is brilliant.I also noticed some good work from Kennedy on a couple of occasions bringing other players into play. Again, despite getting no service, as always.

Kennedy specialty is scoring goals with his head. When the only two chances he has come from headers and he doesn't score he has failed miserably. Especially when he doesn't offer anything else at all.

This guy flew business class while the others flew economy from Wellington.

If that's true, that's how to bring in divisions within the squad. Give a player more elite treatment than another player. 

There's no way a quality person manager like Graham Arnold would accept that at Sydney FC.

Edited by Parrot

This guy flew business class while the others flew economy from Wellington.

If that's true, that's how to bring in divisions within the squad. Give a player more elite treatment than another player. 

There's no way a quality person manager like Graham Arnold would accept that at Sydney FC.

The reason he flew business class was to protect his back given the long flight and short turn around. Even Arnold would have done that given the situation

Edited by Dylan

Saw him at Bunnings Box Hill today with his kid, gave him the best service he's received all year

Put his stuff right into his bag and not over his head? I bet he got last to the register line

• Like 2

Typical, season is over and he has already switched his focus to unfinished projects around the house..

When I get to work tomorrow morning I will have to hear more victory supporters talking about how they smashed us in a Semi..

It's easy being a footballer for City.. Seasons over, get your pay packet and who gives a shit.. Us supporters have constantly defend our performances and justify the players... For next 4 months..

Typical, season is over and he has already switched his focus to unfinished projects around the house..

When I get to work tomorrow morning I will have to hear more victory supporters talking about how they smashed us in a Semi..

It's easy being a footballer for City.. Seasons over, get your pay packet and who gives a shit.. Us supporters have constantly defend our performances and justify the players... For next 4 months..

what do you want him to do, cut his wrists and hand write a letter of apology to every member? 

Season's already over, why dwell.

• Like 1

You'd think the players were war criminals or something the way some of you act on here. You do know Jesus is just a nickname.

Poor guy can't even do some work round the house on his time off without copping abuse.