Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

I'm sorry, but how on earth could we possibly fit Kennedy in under the cap? 

"seriously Josh. You can afford to live on peanuts because the cost of living is so cheap in Melbourne!"

"OK sounds great. I might jump onto realestate.com and start looking for apartments in the inner East."

"The cat is out of the bag- repeat, the cat is out of the bag!"

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Over the moon with Josh apparently signing. Good player and it would be useful to have someone who can finish off some crosses. It seems that so often we have the ball out wide only for our players to be hesitant to put the ball in given the height of Willo/ Villa. Doubt we'll just ping the balls in all day (ala Aloisi's game plan to make the most of Mifsud), but just use him to add an extra dimension to our play (ala Janko at Sydney). 

As for Cahill, I'll believe it when I see it, but were it to happen it would pretty massive. Would be very surprised if he didn't end up at a Sydney team though.

Cahill has a contract with NYRB, he'd have to have it paid out to leave before it runs its course

Think there's some bad blood there, Tim choosing national team over NYRB and issues with the coach and being played out of position.

With Henry leaving, NYC coming in they might want to cut him loose too to bring in a couple of new designated players.

That said Tim seems to love living there, is as loyal as they come and will probably end up at a Sydney based club eventually.

Edited by billyheart

I guess we could always try and get him in as a guest player for the second half of this year. I know he is with the Red Bulls this year which means the relationship wouldn't be all that good, but theoretically we could bring him in on a guest stint for the second half of the season (with Kennedy as the aussie marquee) and then buy him outright for next season as the Aussie marquee with Kennedy going under the cap when Duff leaves. 

Alternatively, as mentioned before it could just be a back-end loaded contract with Kennedy, get him under the cap this season on a low wage and then bump it up next year when Duff finishes up. Would allow Timmy to come in as the Aussie marquee.

That being said, I highly doubt we will get Tim. Would be fantastic if it could happen though. 

“We have still have that spot left for the Australian marquee,’’ City coach John van’t Schip said.

Quoted in the following article seems to me that Jesus is under the cap!!

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/josh-kennedy-to-melbourne-city-socceroos-hero-to-join-as-david-villa-exits-aleague/story-e6frf4ju-1227101865571

I'm sorry, but how on earth could we possibly fit Kennedy in under the cap? I'm sure his wage demands aren't astronomically high but we already have the likes of Duff, Mooy and Williams squeezed in so I find it a little hard to believe we have enough room left.

Nate probably the same way New York declared Villas wage as 60k per year!!

Very pleased to hear that the Kennedy deal is reportedly agreed. He's just the sort of classic striker that the team has needed up front IMO, and I'm sure he'll go real well in the A-League. Good to hear that he'll be around for at least this season and next season as well (losing useful players after 1 season shouldn't be happening at the club nowadays).

I'm inclined to think that Kennedy has been signed as the Australian marquee.

However, to speculate at how Kennedy could be signed under the cap, I'd say that Melbourne City have signed the fewest players out of any A-League club (the club have only signed 20 senior players and have 1 youth-senior spot left, more free spots than any other club), so there could conceivably be a pretty decent amount of money left under the cap for one single player. Also, the club could conceivably offer an attractive multi-year deal, where there's the security of a multi-year contract and perhaps a fairly large sum of money when all the years of salary are added together (I think this is how the club signed Paartalu, by offering an attractive mult-year deal that gazumped Newcastle). And finally, circumstances maybe don't leave Kennedy in a great negotiating position, with him coming out of contract in December (not during the summer transfer window, so maybe not too many clubs would be looking to sign a player like Kennedy then), Kennedy has an injury history that might make clubs think twice (although I think his back injury is deceptive. He played 27 games last year, and he got over his back injury and played at the end of September, and with Nagoya signing a new striker it looks like they are transitioning Kennedy out of the team) and Kennedy's family have settled in Melbourne, and are living, going to school and working here.

So it's not far-fetched, and I have been surprised that the club haven't pulled a rabbit out of the hat with more signings (that there haven't been more truly surprising positive signings. There has only really been Paartalu, and maybe Duff). But still, I'll believe the story about Cahill when I see it, and until things are announced I will be assuming that Kennedy will be the Aus marquee.

• Like 1

“We have still have that spot left for the Australian marquee,’’ City coach John van’t Schip said.

Quoted in the following article seems to me that Jesus is under the cap!!

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/josh-kennedy-to-melbourne-city-socceroos-hero-to-join-as-david-villa-exits-aleague/story-e6frf4ju-1227101865571

I definitely didn't get "we will sign Kennedy under the cap" from JVS's comments.  All he really said is we haven't signed an Oz marquee or the last visa spot yet.  These blindingly obvious statements were then repeated in an article about Kennedy.

I can't see how we would have the room under the cap to sign Kennedy.  In addition I would think NY Bulls would be very reluctant to release a contracted talented player to their cross town rivals franchise and in addition, I'm not sure Kennedy, Koren and Cahill fit well into a team together.  Not getting too excited about this yet.

If anyone is possibly believing those saying both Cahill and Kennedy are coming are far too gullible.

This. If there was a substantial amount left in our salary cap I don't think Hoffman and Ramsay would be our full backs.

Or Redmayne our goalkeeper.

Actually, wouldn't the club Need to sign so-so cheap players (like Hoffman, Ramsay, Redmayne) To Still have ample money left under the cap? Also, the fact that there's still 3 full seniors spots left under the cap makes me think there's a decent amount of money left, for 1 player at least.

Whether it is enough money for Kennedy is another matter. It is just all very unclear whether there is moderate amount of money left under the cap, or a more significant amount.

Someone with in the club. Cahill is fed up in America and wants to come home.

I can kinda believe that given what happened recently with the club v country issue. He stood his ground departed

Thought provoker.....

On the back of the club v country issue,

City make Cahill our Aussie marquee.... Then once a-league season finishes, we loan him back to NYCFC to build some theatre and rivalry with the red Bulls in the MLS. Lastly, what's stopping Cahill then heading over as a squad member at Man city.

Of all the Aussie players still going round, he's the only one who could have some pull at all three City teams still.... His World Cup goal alone has kept him on the map!

Don't be surprised if it's a play to help others Melb and NY.

Someone with in the club. Cahill is fed up in America and wants to come home.

I can kinda believe that given what happened recently with the club v country issue. He stood his ground departed Thought provoker.....

On the back of the club v country issue,

City make Cahill our Aussie marquee.... Then once a-league season finishes, we loan him back to NYCFC to build some theatre and rivalry with the red Bulls in the MLS. Lastly, what's stopping Cahill then heading over as a squad member at Man city.

Of all the Aussie players still going round, he's the only one who could have some pull at all three City teams still.... His World Cup goal alone has kept him on the map!

Don't be surprised if it's a play to help both Melb and NY.

Edited by ChopperHeart

I'm trying to see how both would fit into the team structure. Kennedy can only play as a 9, Cahill is not a creative 10 besides we have Koren for that and is too old/slow to play upfield. 

purely on the theory that we do actually sign both, then maybe they can play a 4-4-2.

Redmayne

Kisnorbo                             Wielaart

Hoffman                                                                           Ramsey

Paartalu

Mooy                                             Duff

Koren

Cahill

Kennedy

Edited by mattyh001