Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

The club won't do anything bold or visionary.

It will appoint JVS as interim coach, and he will cost a petty penny knowing how much in the shit we're in.

Then he will try for a two year deal similar to what he had, and probably get it.

THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE.

JVS did not set the A-League on fire and took the top team in Mexico to mid-table mediocrity.   He is not the Messiah.  In fact he nothing more than an ordinary coach who got poor-average results in a developing league, playing ineffective possession-based football for one season, and long ball direct football for another.  Mirabella was right: look local.

JVS wants a youth development job, this is where he will perform best. He may be a stop gap for now although I'd prefer a permanent coach if available. He'd probably also be good in JD's job although we'd then need someone to do the legal side. He's not a bold choice or even a wise choice for the permanent senior job

I don't mind JVS as caretaker for the rest of the season. That would give the club (whomever may own it) time to be thorough with their search. FWIW They need to look at the youth development program in conjunction with the snior coaching position. So if JVS wants tobe the youth development coach/manager I would be happy. As for Bielsa his going rate is about $3M per season. he is also known as the "Madman" because he is simply mad. So when Gombau had a spat with the local media a few weeks back that would be an entree. If Sir Alec Ferguson threw a boot at Beckham that would be an hors d'oeuvre. And Bela you don't need to learn Spanish as I would quit my job and do it for a basic living wage to be the interpreter (I am already trilingual and will learn insanity on the job).

After the sacking of JA it's understandable that all of us now won't success or at least a stunning improvement in our football. Unfortunately for us Football doesn't work like that. The appointment of JVS is an interesting one, he will be good for us at this point (far better than JA) but it showed me that the board really does not have any football knowledge and are playing it safe JVS.

I don't mind JVS as interim because I think he can do something with our current playing squad, as for a future manager I think Bielsa is completely out and the club isn't ambitious enough to contemplate such a move..

I do also believe it must be an international with a proven record who can successfully develop our players and above all bring some much needed success to our club. Our overall goal must be to become the first A-League club to win the ACL. That must be our aim..

The club won't do anything bold or visionary.

It will appoint JVS as interim coach, and he will cost a petty penny knowing how much in the shit we're in.

Then he will try for a two year deal similar to what he had, and probably get it.

THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE.

JVS did not set the A-League on fire and took the top team in Mexico to mid-table mediocrity.   He is not the Messiah.  In fact he nothing more than an ordinary coach who got poor-average results in a developing league, playing ineffective possession-based football for one season, and long ball direct football for another.  Mirabella was right: look local.

JVS will not coach the Melbourne heart next season and i say this with confidence.

We haven't even guarenteed that he will coach the game this week! If he was so keen to coach the heart he would've been at the press conference or at least been in Melbourne when they announced the sacking of JA. He is happy with the arrangement of being in Melbourne for a couple of months of the year, his heart is just not in another long term stint overseas.

He will be a fine caretaker coach for the rest of the season, because he will blood some youth and we will be competitive. He will give us a reason to go to heart games for a long time

JvS will be nothing more than a caretaker coach for the remainder of this season. He is there to try to stabilise what was spiralling downwards out of control, and to try and give the club some respectable results, and I'm sure as someone who will have input into who is appointed to lead the club next season and beyond, and input into the changes to the squad at the end of this season.

Edited by jw1739

After the sacking of JA it's understandable that all of us now won't success or at least a stunning improvement in our football. Unfortunately for us Football doesn't work like that. The appointment of JVS is an interesting one, he will be good for us at this point (far better than JA) but it showed me that the board really does not have any football knowledge and are playing it safe JVS.

I don't mind JVS as interim because I think he can do something with our current playing squad, as for a future manager I think Bielsa is completely out and the club isn't ambitious enough to contemplate such a move..

I do also believe it must be an international with a proven record who can successfully develop our players and above all bring some much needed success to our club. Our overall goal must be to become the first A-League club to win the ACL. That must be our aim..

I don't for one minute think that our owners are bold or ambitious enough to even approach Bielsa yet alone hire him and commit the funds, but I think that an appointment like that would be required to leap frog the other clubs and place us at the forefront of Australian club football, it all depends on our ambition.

• Like 1

I don't for one minute think that our owners are bold or ambitious enough to even approach Bielsa yet alone hire him and commit the funds, but I think that an appointment like that would be required to leap frog the other clubs and place us at the forefront of Australian club football, it all depends on our ambition.

There is one other thing to consider as well with people like Bielsa and other O/S coaches. They are used to bringing in players within a budget. South American leagues do not have salary or player caps - just budgets. What we are actually saying to prospective coaches is that these are the caps and you have to work within these constraints. I am not sure how well they could cope with that. In my rather short affiliation with the A League I note that most O/S coaches have not won the either trophy (Sydney FC are the only team to have won honours with O/S coaches). This leads me to wonder whether they can work within such a constrained system. I also note that G Nus was quite surprised by these constraints.

Bielsa, a very strict disciplinarian, likes to demote/promote players based on the fact that he does have other options. In a capped system he would be constrained. Having said that he has a very keen eye for spotting talented youth and the ability to develop them quickly. OTOH our players may not be hungry/desperate enough to meet his demands.

• Like 1

Agreed we should go for an overseas coach for the experience and playing style they would bring. We should also try to go for someone who has a recognised name for the publicity that will generate. Yes, the money is a problem but just imagine how much attention we would get from having an Alex Ferguson etc etc - we believe so we should dream.

Sasho Cirovski

Proven youth development

Proven at building teams with a small budget

Rediculous record with like 3 or 4 times more wins than losses.

Would be managing a MLS team and be out of our reach if it wasn't for him wanting more control of the team than he would get at a MLS club (don't know how this will conflict with JD's role)

Probably will only cost like 300k so that should be within our budget.

Not a tanned charming well dressed western European pretty boy

Grew up eating dirt and drinking goat's milk.

Edited by Tesla

Sasho Cirovski

Proven youth development

Would be managing a MLS team and be out of our reach if it wasn't for him wanting more control of the team than he would get at a MLS club (don't know how this will conflict with JD's role)

Welcome to the forums Mr. Cirovski

Sasho Cirovski

Proven youth development

Welcome to the forums Mr. Cirovski

1. My name is Mr. Tesla

2. Unless you're offering my client a 300k a year contract, don't mention his name.

3. If you further try to disrupt the dealings of Tesla Sports Management, you will be hearing from our lawyers.

• Like 2

I believe there might be a misconception that O/S coaches only take jobs were they can spend big. The global football landscape has change considerably, there are not many clubs in the world that can spend large amounts on players and squads apart from the usual suspects.

We have a salary cap, 1 marquee spot and 1 Australian Marquee spot plus we are able to have 5 visa players. Any coach worth his salt can form a descent strong side with that. My opinion has always been that the key to a successful team is the visa players.. They must always be available and they must provide the point of difference...

I believe there might be a misconception that O/S coaches only take jobs were they can spend big. The global football landscape has change considerably, there are not many clubs in the world that can spend large amounts on players and squads apart from the usual suspects.

We have a salary cap, 1 marquee spot and 1 Australian Marquee spot plus we are able to have 5 visa players. Any coach worth his salt can form a descent strong side with that. My opinion has always been that the key to a successful team is the visa players.. They must always be available and they must provide the point of difference...

Agree that O/S players need to be on the pitch every week and be a point of difference. Where I draw the distinction is the size/depth of the playing list. Basically the 23 player limit means that you get two sides + 1 extra in the A-League. The South American sides have anywhere from about 34 through to about 50. In effect three players for each position - even more if you consider that a player can play in more than one position. Hence non-performers can be dropped very easily. Also youth can be brought in cheaply. Here we can only promote players from the NYL if there is a vacancy in the seniors due to injuries/international duties. So although a coach may be able to assemble a quality side, players that are low in confidence can't be readily shunted aside. Mate Dugandzic was a much better player before the injury, so how does he get back to that good form? When Bielsa took over Athletic Bilbao they did not have the budget that the big clubs did but he did promote youth from within and had them playing as a cohesive unit very quickly. I am not sure whether he would be allowed to do that her in the A League.

We can all forget bielsa as no club in A league will pay 2mil+ per year for a coach.

Look at potential candidates that have been successful in the current or very recent position and fit our Club's cultural and strategic needs.

If their remuneration package currently doesn't exceed 400k per year, we could be in with a chance.

We can all forget bielsa as no club in A league will pay 2mil+ per year for a coach.

Look at potential candidates that have been successful in the current or very recent position and fit our Club's cultural and strategic needs.

If their remuneration package currently doesn't exceed 400k per year, we could be in with a chance.

This is the crux of the issue we face. All clubs operate under the same salary cap for players, there are 2 exceptions that are the points of difference, the marquee and the coach. SFC would be so much more shit without ADP, their place on the ladder really reflects his influence on the games that he plays in. Given that football is a weakest link game though the evidence is clear that you have more to gain by improving the weakest link. Imagine what SFC would be like with a $2m coach - likely much better than the team that they are now. If we want to leap frog the other 9 teams then this is exactly the type of direction we need to go.

• Like 3

There is one other thing to consider as well with people like Bielsa and other O/S coaches. They are used to bringing in players within a budget. South American leagues do not have salary or player caps - just budgets. What we are actually saying to prospective coaches is that these are the caps and you have to work within these constraints. I am not sure how well they could cope with that. In my rather short affiliation with the A League I note that most O/S coaches have not won the either trophy (Sydney FC are the only team to have won honours with O/S coaches). This leads me to wonder whether they can work within such a constrained system. I also note that G Nus was quite surprised by these constraints.

Bielsa, a very strict disciplinarian, likes to demote/promote players based on the fact that he does have other options. In a capped system he would be constrained. Having said that he has a very keen eye for spotting talented youth and the ability to develop them quickly. OTOH our players may not be hungry/desperate enough to meet his demands.

Yes that's true, no overseas coach will just walk in and instantly develop a team that will dominate the league. A 'Bielsa type' coach will demand excellence, drive the Board crazy with demands for funds and resources but he's a very shrewd football thinker with a proven methodology that has produced success at both club and international level. The skill would be in selling him (or equivalent l;evel coach) the challenge of success with our local restrictions

• Like 1

Alistair Edwards is interested.

Says he wants to make us the biggest team in Melbourne.....

This may be news to most outsiders but we don't want to measure ourselves against the other mob in town.

I don't only want to be the best and biggest team in Melbourne, or Australia. I want to be the biggest team in Asia.

If we are aiming for winning ACL titles then the rest takes care of itself. I want to outgrow AAMI Park. Not be like them and want to fill it.

This is what has been wrong with our club and the people in it. The ambition is flawed.

The best. Don't rest till we are the absolute best in our world. Which is Asia.

Fuck Melbourne Victory. They don't even register on the Asian map. Let's rule it.

• Like 6

If we are going to go local, apart from Ange, Popa and Arnie there's only one other coach that won't give you bullshit long balls and that's Edwards. Please bring him as JVS's assistant then give him next seasons job! Otherwise just look for an international coach because the rest in Australian arnt proven and are rubbish.

I would have been very surprised if he wasn't. It's a bit like the "new owners" issue - there's so much upside at Heart and almost no downside.

We are bandying a few names around, but it is important as Melburnian says to set some ambitious objectives for MHFC, set the bar high, and then put in place the processes and personnel to get us there.

I wasn't very convinced last time that there really was ever a proper search for a new coach, because if there was it would have been possible to find several people far more qualified than Milicic and Aloisi put together. So what we need this time is a proper process.

Of course, if new owners do eventuate, the whole process will be overtaken...

Just an aside - how pleasant it is to again be discussing positive things on this Forum.

Edited by jw1739

If we are going to go local, apart from Ange, Popa and Arnie there's only one other coach that won't give you bullshit long balls and that's Edwards. Please bring him as JVS's assistant then give him next seasons job! Otherwise just look for an international coach because the rest in Australian arnt proven and are rubbish.

Agree that at the moment the clear local lead is Ali Edwards. BUT having him as assistant could be interesting - two men trying to coach the side...Me thinks that there would be strong "personality issues" between them. If the club is to hire an assistant then it would have to be someone that knows their stint will end along with JvS's stint. G Sibon has put his hand up on twitter so that may be a possibility. I am not sure what role Pantelides and Nus have at the club, and whether that is all that is required. Another option for an assistant is to get a successful youngish coach from the state leagues to be an assistant.

Agree that at the moment the clear local lead is Ali Edwards. BUT having him as assistant could be interesting - two men trying to coach the side...Me thinks that there would be strong "personality issues" between them. If the club is to hire an assistant then it would have to be someone that knows their stint will end along with JvS's stint. G Sibon has put his hand up on twitter so that may be a possibility. I am not sure what role Pantelides and Nus have at the club, and whether that is all that is required. Another option for an assistant is to get a successful youngish coach from the state leagues to be an assistant.

Nus and Palatsides are completely adequate for the remainder of this season. Nus was brought here for a reason - and it wasn't just as "an extra pair of eyes."

Surely it will be the new manager who appoints his assistant, or at least has a big say in his selection?

As stupid as this sounds... Don't look at JVS as the manager, he is and just will be in the future a care taker coach.

If for instance after the club is sold and Alister E is given the job for next season, then he and JVS will partner up and coach the team together. Yes on paper JVS will be head coach, but he has left his ego back home this time and will gladly step aside and take on board anything Alister E has to say knowing he won't be coaching next season. It will be an added bonus of Alister E can see out this season along side JVS, because come pre season he won't waste any time knowing which players are staying or getting the ass.

One thing would have to be sorted with Edwards, if he gets near the job, would be the issue of his sons. It brought him undone at Perth. It also brought Culina undone at Newcastle, and IIRC there was someone else at Perth previously?

I'd actually prefer a new manager with a proven record in a league environment, where you have to make decisions in a short time-frame, rather than someone with a record in a a development role or even at under-age national, where there's a lot more time to get things right, playing a handful of games spread over the year with lots of training camps and trials etc.

It's a hobby-horse of mine but IMO one of our biggest failings has been to waste our pre-seasons playing scratch sides and second-rate state sides. Other A-League clubs have recognised this and upped the intensity of their pre-seasons accordingly. So it's not just a new manager that we need, it's a more intense approach.

• Like 2

How do you get an advantage in a tightly regulated, salary capped league?

By spending big and getting the best your money can buy where there is no salary cap.

That means at a minimum the coaching, fitness and medical staff.

So how about we make a multi million dollars offer for a coach who knows the A League, for a coach who has turned rejected A League players into winners and for a coach who has never made injuries an excuse for poor performance.

With a tight playing schedule this coach chose to rest four key players - Ono, Mooy, Juric and Bridge, and put another - Hersi - on the bench - in an important game away from home against Victory last round. You wouldn't have known, as everyone who came into the side knew what they had to do and performed, and the team was set to win against Victory until the last kick of the game. 

So how about we show some ambition and make a multi million dollars play for Tony Popovic?

Edited by Parrot

Says he wants to make us the biggest team in Melbourne.....

This may be news to most outsiders but we don't want to measure ourselves against the other mob in town.

I don't only want to be the best and biggest team in Melbourne, or Australia. I want to be the biggest team in Asia.

If we are aiming for winning ACL titles then the rest takes care of itself. I want to outgrow AAMI Park. Not be like them and want to fill it.

This is what has been wrong with our club and the people in it. The ambition is flawed.

The best. Don't rest till we are the absolute best in our world. Which is Asia.

Fuck Melbourne Victory. They don't even register on the Asian map. Let's rule it.

The crux of the HeartFC problem from nearly day one is that we were not ambitious enough and we therefore spent $$$ accordingly. Our current owners seemed just happy to be in the HAL. Great but that won't build a supporter base to create a viable and thriving club. FFS, the city of Melbourne can sustain two large HAL teams. Our new owners need to think big and act big. Our aim should be to become the most successful team in the HAL and to win the ACL. Once you set these goals, every decision follows from there. Set low goals and you'll be happy to get cheap, inexperienced coaches, etc, etc. Which is exactly where we're at now.

• Like 1