Melbourne Football

New manager

Tesla

Chris Tanner (a guy in sports marketing and management) just tweeted: "I also hear this could be Aloisi's last week too"

So, if Andre Villas-Boas is unable to start coaching Melbourne Heart that soon, then who's the best option to replace Aloisi who could realistically start coaching the team next week?

Martin Jol? :)

You just have to laugh when the club says we are results driven.

We are looking for football results. It is clear the board are only looking at the financial results.

Sad to think that if football results took precedent the other would Excell. But they focused on crap and never invested.

How much money is there in doing well in the A-League? Clubs seem to think playing in the Asian competition is not financially attractive. Unless clubs raise money from selling players what are the other revenue streams? TV rights are set, as is the franchise agreement. As long as Heart slowly build support, which we seem to be doing regardless of results, why win anything? As long as we break even through gate takings and sell a some players for a few million along the way, it sounds like a good passive investment. Sell it off towards the end of the franchise to another backer and away you go.

I don't like supporting a club which seems to be run like a private equity group, but it seems to be what we have got. I hope things change, but I haven't seen or heard anything that makes me think they will. I can only hope.

• Like 2

Rumour is that Paulo Di Canio is interested in taking over after learning of favourable political leanings in Bay 17.

... and his first signing will be Josip Simunic

He can chant: "For Melbourne Heart", MH fans to reply: "Ready!"

mmm what can I say !!! I had to laugh at the prospect !

as much as it pains me to say ... I think I'll stick with JA at the moment , that evil I can live with

On a realistic level Aidy Boothroyd would be worth a shot until the end of the season. Only 42 years old and steered Watford to the Premiership in 06/07. Took Northampton from the foot of the table when he took over to League safety, then lost the play-off final the following season.

The guy gets the best out of the players at his disposal and only 5 years ago was regarded as one of the brightest young managers going around.

When the club was founded we knocked back Ange, to instead shower JVS with coin to take the job.   2 years later we leapt at John Aloisi, without seemingly even giving a second thought to the jobless Mike Mulvey.

The current board obviously needs some help with recruiting our gaffers.  i only hope they get it this time.

• Like 2

On a realistic level Aidy Boothroyd would be worth a shot until the end of the season. Only 42 years old and steered Watford to the Premiership in 06/07. Took Northampton from the foot of the table when he took over to League safety, then lost the play-off final the following season.

The guy gets the best out of the players at his disposal and only 5 years ago was regarded as one of the brightest young managers going around.

Great shout

"The good form saw Boothroyd named Championship Manager of the Month for October 2007 after Watford maintained a 100% record.[15] However this could not be sustained and a poor run of form in second half of the season saw Boothroyd coming in for criticism for his team selections, direct style of play and dealings in the transfer market."

"On 14 March 2011, Boothroyd was sacked by Coventry City after a run of poor results which saw the club win only once in sixteen league games."

"On 21 December 2013 Boothroyd was sacked by Northampton after a 4-1 defeat by Wycombe Wanderers. The club were bottom of League Two."

I am hoping that once JA is sacked after the new owners come in they realise that this is a league where money needs to be put into contracting a quality coach. So they put someone on until the end of the year who will play the kids and then they spend the rest of the season looking for an excellent overseas replacement because I am not sure there are any viable long term local coach ready or able. 

After we sack Aloisi and Foxe,  as in interim measure for the remainder of season  Alistair Edwards with Gary Phillips as his assistant. Edwards had the courage to pick young players, something JA has not done.   In the long term for next season I would like to see somebody like Francisco Ferraro, former Argentine youth coach.  He knows how to develop young players.

• Like 1

It's not just a matter of picking a name. The manager needs to reflect and reinforce the fundamental values of the club.

What we need now - irrespective of new owners or not - is an interim manager to take us through to the end of the season. This is to stop the rot that has set in.

As and when new owners take over, then they need to set out what the values of the club are going forward. They might well be somewhat different from those that we are supposed to have now, or they might be similar but with different emphases. Then the staff under the new Board can be selected and brought to the club, and this is at all levels, including the manager and his coaching team, the players, and all the administrative staff.

Our present Board and senior staff set out with a vision for the club that did not place a high enough emphasis on success on the field. That's why they're all "nice guys" at MHFC. Just as an example, the reason we don't have a prick like Berisha playing for us is because he doesn't fit the profile of MHFC - we'd much rather have Mr. Nice Guy Macallister.

It's interesting to reflect on the recent experience at Perth. That club appointed Alistair Edwards on a 3-year contract, but clearly did not realise that his vision and values for Perth Glory were not shared by his CEO, Board or some of the players. A complete mis-match. Here at MHFC we've done the same thing in reverse - Aloisi clearly does not support the concepts of youth development and possession-based European-style football, but the only difference here is that so far we haven't terminated his contract.

The new manager is just one part of the new owners issue.

New owners first, then a new manager.

• Like 1

Heard an interesting name thrown up last night from a contact who has been right before, Sam Allardyce.  Yes I know he is currently with West Ham, but the expectation is Sam and West Ham will part ways before the end of this season, and he will be available for next season. Apparently new owners are after a high profile appointment, but will wait until Sam is sacked, as this will reduce his price.  In the interim new coach for remainder of season will be internal, only I don't know who.