Melbourne Football

Round 2 | 19th of October | Melbourne VS CCM

Jimmy

Defensively we were perfect in the first half, offensively we were perfect in the second half. 

String those two together to create a 90 minute performance and ban Ben Williams from refereeing ever again and we'll be right up there this season, decent performance against the reigning champions.

Really?

Last 15-20 minutes was disgusting going forward, despite a few nice pieces of play from Ramsay.

Perfect in comparison to the first half and last week where we created nothing  :P

8700ish

Hopefully we can play well against Perth next week and then aim for 10k against WSW and 15k against Sydney (Del Piero effect)

respect to the guy who stood in the back row with his flag and did not take shit from a GA member who stormed up to him, telling him to stop waving his flag because its blocking his view, stupid cunt could have sat anywhere in the world but decided to be a prick and confront him to stop using the flag.

In the end the security told him to go fuck off somewhere else :up:

• Like 2

respect to the guy who stood in the back row with his flag and did not take shit from a GA member who stormed up to him, telling him to stop waving his flag because its blocking his view, stupid cunt could have sat anywhere in the world but decided to be a prick and confront him to stop using the flag.

In the end the security told him to go fuck off somewhere else :up:

Did this seriously happen? 

What is wrong with people, I don't even.

I'm feeling more positive about the season after today. Someone might check my stats but I'm sure that we've only ever won one game with Ben Williams officiating so to come away from a a game with a draw is something that we can be proud of, even Ben Williams couldn't beat us :P

Once we have Kewell, Mifsud and Engelaar, we'll worry everyone. I'd still like to see us be able to play through a midfield press rather than lob hopeful balls over the top, its low percentage football.

• Like 2

There I was in bay 18 standing while most of the flogs in this "so called active area" were just sitting down.

Chanting and loosing my voice while Ben Williams decided he will spoil our fun day and give the fkn red necks and the gypsy 2 goals.

I think with football and with any sport you must remember it's not just your team that's fighting to win but also the other team. It's not possible to have all the play all the time, there will be times when the other team will have a time period where they have possession and chances as well. Have to agree I would have liked some changes to happen earlier.

• Like 1

Not sure why there's handwringing going on. We were the better team and we should have won (both because we should have taken our chances, and because the refereeing by Ben Williams was BS).

The fact that we played that well without our 3 best players, Engelaar, Mifsud and Kewell, proves that we're in pretty good shape this season. Also, based on what I saw today I have no idea why Graham Arnold is in the running for the Socceroos' job.

There wasn't many chances in the first half, but we looked the most threatening. We put in dangerous crosses (including 1 good cross from Hoffman. Good to see him getting up field), and did a pretty good job of getting in behind the Mariners. Graham Arnold hinted that the Mariners might try to attack, and sure enough they had a bit more of the ball and their defensive line was pretty high up. But their possession was tame, and especially in the second half we exposed their defence time and time again.

We created a host of quality chances in the second half, despite the Mariners having a widely hailed defence. Mebrahtu was useful in creating creates, and Williams positioned himself well to put 2 chances away. Although we were a bit profligate in front of goal, and Mebrahtu and Williams both should have scored one more goal each for us. Also, although most of our passes were balls over the Mariners' backline, they weren't hopeless longballs, and many of those passes were made from around the halfway line (rather than from around the edge of our penalty box. Those long long balls are hopeless, and fortunately we didn't play many of those).

I'll quickly go over the pens. The first was very soft, it was standard jostling in the box that isn't given 9/10 times, and it was poor arbitrariness to give it (Matt Simon's a thug and jostles a lot during corners. I remember him holding Bolton whilst the Mariners scored from a corner, and wrongly the goal stood). The second was soft and looked like textbook ball to hand, and there was no intention behind that 'handball'.

We're looking really organised this year, and you have to give credit in particular to the new players and the coaching staff for that. We should go up a level when Kewell returns to the team, and up another level when Mifsud starts playing. If the main complaints that we have this season are about us not winning, rather than being complaints about us losing, then things are looking pretty good. 2 points from 2 games,  and now we get to play Perth, who have looked really shaky at the start of this season. So there are pretty good odds that we can get 5 points from 3 games, if we keep up what we're doing.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 5

Ben Williams - how many time has he done that?  The guy should be locked up. 

Honestly if you are going to give those 2 as pens, what about when Ramsay was cut down in the box in the first half?  Surely a yellow card and a pen, but no "play on, goal kick".

On a more positve note we are not going to concede many (real) goals with Kisnorbo and Wielhart in the centre and Miges in front of them.  Awesome defence. 

First half was great. Second reminded me of last seasons away form. Consistency?

Both penalties were correctly given. I couldn't see the PK one at first, even on the replays (I had to watch at work during my lunch break) but with the slow down highlight PK's arm was clearly over the shoulder. Silly really as he had just been warned.

I thought Mate faded out of the game later in the second half and would have liked to see Ben Garuccio given a run.

Willo did well as the no. 10, a position I suggested last season he may do well in. At least he is facing towards goal which seems to suit him better than having his back to it.

Rob Wielaert looked rock solid at the back and played out well.

Mass and Migliorini held the midfield well, and by and large we looked dangerous up front.

Happy overall but gutted at the result. These second half fadeouts have to stop.

WHY DOES ALOISI NOT UTILISE HIS FKN SUBS?? WE EVEN HAVE AN EXTRA PLAYER ON THE BENCH!!

Seriously, does he not use all his subs because he doesn't know which players to put on/take off and when so he's scared he's going to look incompetent if he fucks it up or takes a player off that's actually playing well or leaves a player on that should actually be coming off?

3 out of 6 subs made in 2 games! Fkn learn how to utilise your subs Aloisi!

/rant

Hoffman had a very good game (srs) - looked confident and comfortable and also helped Mate out but still made a few errors, none of which were fatal.

Kisnorbo's chant is spot on. The guy is a star in defence, he and Weilart compliment each other brilliantly.

Weilart is everything you want in a centre back. Led brilliantly as captain and went hard all game - why wasn't he permanently made captain?

Aziz defended well, but was absolutely wrecked by the 70th minute which CCM exploited. His attacking runs seem to come too few and far between - once he and Ramsay get a good relationship going maybe we will be able to launch a decent counter attack?

Ramsay played brilliantly - creator of many chances and should have had 2 of his own but went in the side net. What a great pick up.

Williams - the standard we all knew he was capable of. Should have had a hattrick. Lets hope he keeps it up and pressures Mifsud to perform.

Gol Gol was very average. Looked lethargic and unwilling to work.

Dugandzic needs to harden up! Whenever the challenge comes in he shies away and gives it up - needs to ride the challenges more and run at his man which he eventually managed to do at the end of the game.

Murdocca is ace. He and Kisnorbo were the exact 2 players we missed last season.

Redders was solid - hasn't copped a goal from open play this season! Nearly saved first penalty as well, a matter of inches. However his delivery to players when he goes the long option is fucking shite.

Miglorini needs to get the fuck out of set pieces.

Gerhardt can't play in the midfield however would make a great back up plan if shit hits the fan with Kisnorbo's injuries.

Short corners need to go.

Passing back to the keeper needs to go.

Long balls over the midfield needs to go.

Ben Williams needs to go.

• Like 2

I'm sick of the bullshitty ways Central Coast get results against us after we've played well against them. We've only ever beaten them once but our record should be better.

I thought the first penalty was pretty unlucky - how often does something like that get called? - but I don't think the ref had much choice with the second.

But regardless, I thought our performance was really encouraging. The start of the season has so far shown that we'll be harder to beat than before. And we were more dangerous today than last week - William's really should've had his hat trick. Which was really positive given both Kewell and Mifsud were absent.

Edited by Sash

I'm feeling more positive about the season after today. Someone might check my stats but I'm sure that we've only ever won one game with Ben Williams officiating so to come away from a a game with a draw is something that we can be proud of, even Ben Williams couldn't beat us :P

Once we have Kewell, Mifsud and Engelaar, we'll worry everyone. I'd still like to see us be able to play through a midfield press rather than lob hopeful balls over the top, its low percentage football.

Yep, I reckon when the boys go review today's game there'll be a lot of positive feeling about what happened. Defensively we've stiifened up heaps with plenty of thanks to Paddy K and Wielaert, even the Hoff seemed to have been inspired except for his throw in to Flores LOL. Some people see our first half as solid but I see it as nervous, unadventurous and slow. Some of the passing needs to be be sharper to create opportunities to move forward rather then let the opposition reorg their defence. The second half was sharper and I didn't mind us using a long ball wide to wingers to break CCM's defensive shackles. With Harry and Mifsud hopefully we'll have multiple options for attack, sometimes wide and sometimes through the middle. Looking good so far.

WHY DOES ALOISI NOT UTILISE HIS FKN SUBS?? WE EVEN HAVE AN EXTRA PLAYER ON THE BENCH!!

Seriously, does he not use all his subs because he doesn't know which players to put on/take off and when so he's scared he's going to look incompetent if he fucks it up or takes a player off that's actually playing well or leaves a player on that should actually be coming off?

/rant

Given how Williams and Ramsay were going, I'm not sure any of Kalmar, Mauk or Garruccio would've improved us. Give JA some credit - we've held our own against two sides expected to finish at the top, coached by the favourites for the Socceroos job. You could perhaps argue that Aloisi has out coached them both so far.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

/rant

Given how Williams and Ramsay were going, I'm not sure any of Kalmar, Mauk or Garruccio would've improved us. Give JA some credit - we've held our own against the two favourites for the Socceroos job, with sides expected to finish at the top. You could perhaps argue that Aloisi has out coached them both so far.

Pissed off. Need to rant/vent.

• Like 1

Mebrahtu's the one that probably should have been subbed, like last week too. 

Keen to see Mifsud get on the park for us, would be surprised if he starts though given we're playing in Perth and he's already been racking up the frequent flyer points in recent weeks.

• Like 1