Melbourne Football

Round 2 | 19th of October | Melbourne VS CCM

Jimmy

My major criticism of GolGol yesterday is that after he missed the chance to put us 3-0 up he lay prone on the ground in the CCM goal area in mental anguish for some time while play continued. Had we attacked again he was yards off-side. A true professional gets up and gets on with the game rather than feeling sorry for himself. 

He might have moved a bit quicker if he'd heard my "pep talk" from the stands!

You are spot on and I hope Johnny takes him aside and addresses this issue.  OK, you missed one you should have got- get for your rear end and help create the next one.

• Like 1

Enjoyed yesterday bar the result. Beautiful weather, a few beers in the outer, and the most organised I've seen a Heart team pretty well since inception. Great to be back at AAMI.

Was fantastic to see the new signings live. Murdocca and Migliorini solid to the task but the player I suspect will be our quiet achiever of the year and I suspect our best signing will be Wielardt. A true captains game and incredibly vocal and organised. His positioning, interceptions, and impressively his nouse to track a run, were brilliant. He has far greater smarts than any CB we've had before bar Madaschi and to know he's here to stay is great. With Kisnorbo they will be formidable. Kisnorbo needs to settle. I suspect he's used to different refs and a bit more rough and tumble playing in the Championship and League 1. He's picked up a yellow in his first 5 minutes last week, and his penalty, whilst soft, was pretty naive. If the ref stops play and talks to two players before a corner is taken, you know who and what he'll be watching when the ball is kicked. You dont put your arms over his shoulder Hopefully he's learnt from it. Otherwise his game was fantastic.

I'll reserve judgement on style of play until Kewell and Mifsud are firing. Long balls add nauseum, but add Engelaar and you can see Wielardt is desperate to play out. And a 4-4-2 from both sides. It was always going to be cagey and defensive. But I was certainly impressed by the defensive discipline. We had far more chances than CCM.

Finally to Ramsay and wow. Impressed by his burst of speed and he can only develop a better understanding with Aziz. I also loved his defensive discipline - he worked his arse off to track back. Mate doesn't have the delivery on his side from the Hoff, and I suspect the Hoff is instructed to stay deeper. I'm not sure if Mate is underdone, but there isn't the service compared to the other wing.

Off to Perth and I hear without Kewell. Will be interesting with Mifsud what structure we will have. I suspect 4-4-2 again with Mifsud swapped for Gol Gol. The kid needs a bit of a rocket - just too lazy at times.

• Like 3