Melbourne Football

Michael Mifsud

Tommykins

Last season it was Josip Tadic who was going to tear the league to pieces. He didn't.

This season it is Michael Mifsud. So far he hasn't.

How many more strikers do we want to try before our coach realises that it isn't the striker, it's the crappy style of football we're playing?

• Like 2

Last season it was Josip Tadic who was going to tear the league to pieces. He didn't.

This season it is Michael Mifsud. So far he hasn't.

How many more strikers do we want to try before our coach realises that it isn't the striker, it's the crappy style of football we're playing?

If we want a striker to score we have to deliver a ball to him in a scoring position. We aren't doing that. Most goals are scored either just outside or inside the box, we aren't delivering the ball there and are having very few shots on target. A goal is cored on average every 8 on target shots or so, that doesn't mean that we need lots of shots to score goals but that if we have only 1 or 2 per game and at least one of those is outside the box then we are unlikely to score irrespective of who the striker is.

• Like 1

Bela, do you notice how many times our players in the final 3rd take the ball with back to goal?  Good luck scoring from there. It just seems we don't have the movement nor play the one touch football in that area that breaks teams down. 

A feature of our team has been how often midfielders and forwards get the ball with their back to goal. It means an extra touch, a blind turn and then the fruitless search for the pass that isn't there.

What I have liked about Mifsud is his runs square across the penalty box looking for a through ball to then cut back onto the non-existent runner coming onto the ball. As our players have not yet seen or worked out these runs it is making it hard for them to be profitable.

Ditto the runs towards the penalty box looking for the straight through the middle of two defenders pass or the diagonal through ball.

All this extra exercise running back and forth wondering why he hasn't received a ball should put Mifsud in a good position when the rest of the squad is taught these advanced tactics.

Perhaps this is why JA is so keen for Captain Harry to play, as he might have the vision to pick out these passes. Why the rest of the squad doesn't appear to see these things is beyond me. Then again, unfortunately they aren't.

What I have liked about Mifsud is his runs square across the penalty box looking for a through ball to then cut back onto the non-existent runner coming onto the ball. As our players have not yet seen or worked out these runs it is making it hard for them to be profitable.

Ditto the runs towards the penalty box looking for the straight through the middle of two defenders pass or the diagonal through ball.

All this extra exercise running back and forth wondering why he hasn't received a ball should put Mifsud in a good position when the rest of the squad is taught these advanced tactics.

Perhaps this is why JA is so keen for Captain Harry to play, as he might have the vision to pick out these passes. Why the rest of the squad doesn't appear to see these things is beyond me. Then again, unfortunately they aren't.

Especially when the Maltese national team squad, which gets together say 10 times a year at most, knows how to do it.

Maybe we should sign up Pietro Ghedin.

In my naivety I would have thought that this is the sort of thing that all players practice in training, apparently not

My point is that we have a striker who has the individual talent, technique and decision making in order to score regularly. Every player will make individual errors and miss 'certain' goals, but when the whole team is doing it, it's unhelpful to look at individual players, rather it's likely to reflect an issue in the team that needs to be addressed by the coaching staff. The issue is likely to be related to group psychology not individual talent or technique.

• Like 5

My point is that we have a striker who has the individual talent, technique and decision making in order to score regularly. Every player will make individual errors and miss 'certain' goals, but when the whole team is doing it, it's unhelpful to look at individual players, rather it's likely to reflect an issue in the team that needs to be addressed by the coaching staff. The issue is likely to be related to group psychology not individual talent or technique.

...and Malta don't play moon-ball.

• Like 1

He doesn't seem to have any trouble scoring

Against the fucking Faroe Island!!!! Not like he was bangin in at will against the Dutch.

Give me spell.

Your forgetting who the Faroe islands have, such as the mighty Gunnar Neilsen, and who could forget about Jonas tor naes? Household names  :lol:

When is the last time you saw any Heart player who looked like they were enjoying playing a match for us?

Maycon. The dude did nothing but smile and give double thumbs up to everything. Literally, that was all he did.

I thought that he was just enjoying the con of getting an HAL contract on the strength of his DVD

When is the last time you saw any Heart player who looked like they were enjoying playing a match for us?

Maycon. The dude did nothing but smile and give double thumbs up to everything. Literally, that was all he did. He also motioned to Yarraside to make some noise and over celebrate his one pretty ordinary goal. :up:

FWIW I'm to thing we should have brought XE Falcon instead of the VL (Mifsud)...

• Like 1

Against the fucking Faroe Island!!!! Not like he was bangin in at will against the Dutch.

Give me spell.

Your forgetting who the Faroe islands have, such as the mighty Gunnar Neilsen, and who could forget about Jonas tor naes? Household names  :lol:

Well Czech Republic did have the mighty Petr Cech in goal

Give me spell.

Well Czech Republic did have the mighty Petr Cech in goal

FWIW mate i completely agree with what you said here, obviously we're going to judge strikers a bit more harshly than a midfielder, because a midfielder can at least make up for a mistake, and gets a lot more of the ball, compared to a striker who is solely judged on how many goals he scores.

However, i think even you can agree that his touch so far as well as his decision making has been poor. Whilst he hasn't been getting the service he should be getting, whenever he has gotten the ball outside of the box for instance, he is always trying to force the issue. Rather than passing the ball backwards, or even just holding up play, he has tried to take 2 on 1, always failing. 

I've said earlier that he was the completely wrong fit for this team, the only ever successful striker we've had is a 6 foot 4 bloke who we've been able to kick long balls to. Regardless of what his scoring record is intentionally JA should've known a lot better to sign someone who is 5 foot 5 if he knew that his game plan was going to involve kicking longballs to his striker. A bigger striker that could hold up the ball should've been signed, not the 'maltese messi'

The game plan will not change under the current coach, and mifsud will be a failure. He will score goals internationally because unlike our team the coach will cater to his playing style. Also would like to say that if your trying to make a good impression on a new fan base; about yourself being a goalsneak; it doesn't help when you miss a one on one with a keeper from 5 meters out. 

Edited by kingofhearts

i think even you can agree that his touch so far as well as his decision making has been poor. Whilst he hasn't been getting the service he should be getting, whenever he has gotten the ball outside of the box for instance, he is always trying to force the issue. Rather than passing the ball backwards, or even just holding up play, he has tried to take 2 on 1, always failing. 

Probably because he's used to getting balls in better positions... so when he get's the ball his natural instinct is to make a goal himself. The team is playing so shit that he's not getting the balls in good positions or with the support he could do with . 

Last week he missed from 2 metre`s out with only the keeper to beat. :rolleyes:

This is going around in circles...

The thing is that when he is getting a few rare good chances the pressure is then on BIG time to score... hence the misses. It's pretty common for strikers at a new club to take time to find their shooting feet. If he was playing in a club with a good playing style and confident players he would have found his feet much quicker I have no doubt. 

Last week he missed from 2 metre`s out with only the keeper to beat. :rolleyes:

This is going around in circles...

The thing is that when he is getting a few rare good chances the pressure is then on BIG time to score... hence the misses. It's pretty common for strikers at a new club to take time to find their shooting feet. If he was playing in a club with a good playing style and confident players he would have found his feet much quicker I have no doubt. True..... Add to it stress, pressure and anxiety which is running higher longer we don't score.

It all works against the boys up front.

Just need 1 win to reverse it