Melbourne Football

Michael Mifsud

Tommykins

Of course JA will continue to play him as 1st choice, giving him nice cuddles and telling him he loves him, and not to be upset because at least he is trying and he will maybe score sometime soon and everything will be ok...

I don't know, maybe a message along the lines of "You better score a freakin goal or you will be dropped for the Hoff and because that is why we signed you!!! And you can forget about any contract extensions and go back to Malta ..."

Our players had their backs against the wall last game and even with a shitty game plan did ok when they were desperate.... JA should get angry with some of these F$&@ers and tell them that their asses are on the line, and if they don't perform, rather than just accepting it and letting them keep their spot, they should be dropped

Edited by Torn Asunder

JA is like me on Football Manager, I play blokes based on their attributes and not their formline... probably why I am sitting 15th in the French Second Division and on the cusp of being fired!

Edit: Adriano is my Mifsud

Edited by sharpy
  • Like 1

Of course JA will continue to play him as 1st choice, giving him nice cuddles and telling him he loves him, and not to be upset because at least he is trying and he will maybe score sometime soon and everything will be ok...

I don't know, maybe a message along the lines of "You better score a freakin goal or you will be dropped for the Hoff and because that is why we signed you!!! And you can forget about any contract extensions and go back to Malta ..."

Our players had their backs against the wall last game and even with a shitty game plan did ok when they were desperate.... JA should get angry with some of these F$&@ers and tell them that their asses are on the line, and if they don't perform, rather than just accepting it and letting them keep their spot, they should be dropped

It's beyond any understanding how JA doesn't talk to his players directly after the game.

This is the best time to take out the hairdryer, set it to "Hiroshima " it's next setting after "ultra hot" and use it as required.

Screw this "don't want to hurt their feelings"

Nobody gives a f@&k how supporters feel.

Michael Mifsud under pressure to get Melbourne Heart pumping

December 6, 2013

Michael Lynch

When Michael Mifsud got on the end of a passing move at a Melbourne Heart training session on Thursday morning and slammed the ball into the net his teammates cheered and shouted their encouragement.

Coach John Aloisi looked on as the first team - or what is most likely to be the starting XI for Saturday's match against Western Sydney Wanderers - took on the rest and must surely have been wishing his misfiring front man could do the same when it matters, in a match.

Mifsud arrived at Heart with a decent reputation as a goalscorer, having played in the English Championship, the German Bundesliga and in 100 international matches for his country, Malta, whom he captains.

There have been some shocking examples of foreign players who have come to the A-League and failed to deliver, devaluing their currency in double quick time.

If Mifsud is not to join their ranks he will have to start hitting the target soon. As Heart looked to be stumbling to another defeat last Sunday when they conceded two goals to Adelaide inside 15 minutes, the obituaries were being prepared for Aloisi's coaching career, and Mifsud would probably have been the man cast in the role of executioner.

He missed three gilt-edged chances in the first half to add to a number of good opportunities he spurned earlier in the season, including a one-on-one with Wanderers keeper Ante Covic when Heart faced Saturday's opponents at AAMI Park a few weeks ago.

Had the Maltese captain fired home on that occasion who knows what might have happened. Instead, the Wanderers capitalised on a defensive slip-up at the other end and scored the only goal of the game, condemning Heart to another defeat.

Aloisi has worked to protect his under pressure striker, continually saying that his effort is first rate and he is making good runs and getting into excellent positions, as a good striker should.

He just hasn't had the luck, according to his coach, who also praised Mifsud's team-first ethic, explaining that when Heart were awarded the penalty that put them 3-2 up against Adelaide in that roller-coaster game, Mifsud, recognising that he was out of form, relinquished his right to take it and handed the responsibility to David Williams. That's all very well, but the striker has to start coming up with the goods or Heart's season will remain stuck in first gear.

The thrilling 3-3 draw with Adelaide lifted spirits and some of the gloom enveloping the club, but it has to be kept in perspective: Heart still haven't won a match this season (in fact, they haven't picked up three points since round 22 last season, when they beat Sydney) and they travel to one of the most intimidating venues in the A-League, Parramatta, not having won outside Melbourne since New Year's Eve 2011.

Meanwhile, Harry Kewell has not been training with his teammates this week but has been doing rehabilitation work alone. His participation on Saturday remains a matter for conjecture.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/michael-mifsud-under-pressure-to-get-melbourne-heart-pumping-20131205-2ytrn.html?

Edited by Murfy1

Andrew Campbell for MelbourneHeartFC.com.au

Mifsud a 'team player'

Thursday, 5 December 2013 6:17 PM

Striker David Williams says Michael Mifsud's decision to hand him the penalty kick in Sunday's 3-3 draw against Adelaide proved he was a team player – and believes the Maltese international will be hard to stop once he finds his first A-League goal.

Williams told RSN Radio this morning that Mifsud - Melbourne Heart's designated spot-kick taker - made the decision that Williams was the more suitable candidate, after the Maltese international missed a few chances early in the first half.

Williams converted the penalty to give Heart a 3-2 lead, but said Mifsud's action showed courage.

“Michael is the number one taker and at the time he said for me to take it [the penalty],” Williams said.

“I think it shows good courage for him to say that... he had a lot of opportunities but [didn’t convert], so he passed it onto me and said if you are confident enough take it.

“He’s a player that has scored against some of the biggest countries in Europe so he will find the back of the net soon and when he does it will be very hard to stop him because I think everything will go in after that first goal goes in.

“I actually wanted him to get that penalty in to get the monkey off his back so that he could get off the mark and usually that is what sparks a run of goals or a run of form.

“When he fires and gets that first goal he is going to be very important for us.”

Head Coach John Aloisi also praised Mifsud’s penalty decision after the match on Sunday.

“He wants to be scoring goals, as all goal scorers do, but on that penalty he just showed to me and to his teammates that he’s here for the team because he is supposed to take that penalty and he said to Willow, 'things aren’t going my way, you take it'," Aloisi said.

“That’s a team player and that’s what this Club is about... that was good of him because he put the team before himself."

Melbourne Heart take on the Western Sydney Wanderers at Pirtek Stadium, Parramatta from 5.30pm on Saturday evening.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Mifsud-a-team-player/79959

Here is Williams on RSN: http://www.rsn.net.au/audioplayer/1386193215.mp3

(if the embedded audio doesn't work, the Williams' RSN interview is here http://www.rsn.net.au/ down the bottom of the screen under 'listen again')

Edited by Murfy1

Missfud should have taken that penalty.

He needs to score to lift his confidence ASAP

As for hk, there is no conjecture.

He will not play this Saturday.

Mifsud would've missed that penalty in the form he's been in. It's possible, but if he scored he would have been in a different mind set this Saturday with a goal to his name.

If he missed, he would be in the same place he is today..... Still scoreless

I think people should ease off for a bit before condemning him.

He's been here just a couple of months, and during that time has made two trips to Europe to play for his country. That takes it's toll.

It's not as if too many of our other "strikers" are doing well either.

• Like 1

He's been here just a couple of months, and during that time has made two trips to Europe to play for his country. That takes it's toll.

... and a trip to Perth that must have seemed like an international trip for him :lol:

True, and i guess misfud was just having one of those days against Adelaide.

However, he's dreaming if he thinks he'll get the quality of some of the chances he got against Adelaide against WSW.  The chances he is going to get in the next 3 games are going to show whether he is a good striker or Maycon 2.0.

He's going to have to really pull his finger out in these next 2-3 weeks or i will be well and truly on the sack Misfud bandwagon.

I know he has missed some sitters but there is just something about him that makes me think he will come good and at least he chases and harasses unlike gol gol. Dmac is hopeless, hopefully we get rid of the dead wood in Jan like Germano and Dmac and sign miggers and find another quality local player.

• Like 3

He will don't stress the guy is a proven striker, since season one we've never had a striker that makes runs and gets into positions like he does. His got the class, form comes and goes. The only thing that angers me when I watch Mifsud is, he fkn shows more run and determination than our fkn elite 20year olds (GolGol, Mate...) the guy is 32 and runs more than our lazy 20year olds.

• Like 3

He will don't stress the guy is a proven striker, since season one we've never had a striker that makes runs and gets into positions like he does. His got the class, form comes and goes. The only thing that angers me when I watch Mifsud is, he fkn shows more run and determination than our fkn elite 20year olds (GolGol, Mate...) the guy is 32 and runs more than our lazy 20year olds.

Haha I'm well aware man, I've been watching the dude play for around 10 years, that's probably what's got me a little frustrated; I know he can do better than this.

Feel your pain there, Golgol looks extremely laconic and barely ever chases, it's a shame he doesn't apply himself more as he has so much talent.

chasing around is okay, but the guy is supposed to be scoring goals

let me give you analogy

I've played Hockey for only the last 2 years, now in my 50's, I'm playing with guys that have played since they we kids, they have lost their speed but still have great skills , I have limited skills but run and  run and run ( it's all that I can offer to the team )

the skills of these guys set up the goals, not cos they run all the time but because they know how and when to run to the BEST area to execute the finish

Sorry but Mifsud aint doing this ( he's getting terrible service as well, but he's missed the sitters as well) he's just running around madly

I hope that I am proved wrong, but I cant see him scoring more than 5 goals ( from normal play) for the rest of the season

I'm 26 being playing football since under 8's... It doesn't matter how good you are, if your down on confidence you can't do nothing about it until one match your luck changes and things start rolling again. He will deliver the goods, when HK is playing behind him.

well he's been in many one on one situations , it aint luck that he's missed the target on most of them and put it straight at the keeper in the others , something not right, and for a guy that's supposedly a proven goal scorer , the return percentage of goals scored to opportunities is easy to work out ..... ZERO 

As said i'm hoping that I'll be wrong,

Looking forward to misfire firing up (couldnt help myself). He's getting opt, he's hungry and his value will be evident soon (fingers crossed).

Never underestimate the mindset you need for a striker role. He'll come good, he's a proven goal scorer, I need to be patient also. Lets watch him closely, before calling for his axing.

Looking forward to misfire firing up (couldnt help myself). He's getting opt, he's hungry and his value will be evident soon (fingers crossed).

Never underestimate the mindset you need for a striker role. He'll come good, he's a proven goal scorer, I need to be patient also. Lets watch him closely, before calling for his axing.

In terms of mindset that's my issue. To give up the penalty chance even though he's designated is a worry. Confidence is shot. Claiming yesterday's goal will hopefully take the monkey off the back even though it was Williams goal.

From all the reports he's got great talent. Hope he starts showing it soon.

IMO it doesn't matter whether he touched it or not. It's hard to see from the replay. The thing is he took the defence with him with his run and that was a significant contribution to the goal.

We have such a toothless forward line. Every other club seems to be able to get several bodies in the box to take advantage of ricochets, deflections, mis-hit shots, crosses etc., but so often it just seems we have the one bloke there.

• Like 1