Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

00076870-leadimage.jpg

Check out the all important ins and outs for the first round of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season.

Saturday, 12 October 2013

Melbourne Victory v Melbourne Heart

Etihad Stadium, Melbourne

Kick-off: 7:45pm AEDT

Referee: Peter Green

Assistant Referee 1: Brad Hobson

Assistant Referee 2: Luke Brennan

Fourth Official: Lucien Laverdure

TV Broadcast: 7.45pm (AEDT) Live and exclusive broadcast on FOX Sports 1HD and Sky Sports 2 (New Zealand).

Radio Broadcast: 7.45pm (AEDT) Live coverage on 774 ABC Melbourne and SEN Radio (Melbourne)

Join the conversation on Twitter using the hash-tag #MelbDerby

To purchase tickets visit www.aleague.com.au/tickets

Melbourne Victory Squad: 1. Nathan COE (GK), 2. Pablo CONTRERAS, 3. Adama TRAORE, 4.Nick ANSELL, 6. Leigh BROXHAM ©, 7. Gui FINKLER, 10. Archie THOMPSON, 11. Connor PAIN, 13. Andrew NABBOUT, 14. James TROISI, 15. Mitch NICHOLS, 16. Rashid MAHAZI, 17. Jimmy JEGGO, 20. Lawrence THOMAS, 22. Jesse MAKAROUNAS, 23. Adrian LEIJER, 24, Scott GALLOWAY. 25, Jason GERIA

*two to be omitted

Unavailable: 5. Mark MILLIGAN (international duty), 9. Kosta BARBAROUSES (international duty)

Melbourne Heart Squad: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2. Jeremy WALKER, 3. Robbie WIELAERT, 5. Sam MITCHINSON, 6. Patrick GERHARDT, 7. Iain RAMSAY, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 10. Harry KEWELL (Captain), 14. Golgol MEBRAHTU, 15. David WILLIAMS, 16. Aziz BEHICH, 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 18. David VRANKOVIC, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22. Nick KALMAR, 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO, 25. Andrea MIGLIORINI ***Two to be Omitted**

Unavailable: 4. Orlando ENGELAAR (Fractured tibia – long-term), 9. Dylan MACALLISTER (Hamstring – 4-6 weeks), 11. Michael MIFSUD (International Duty), 13. Jonatan GERMANO (Hamstring – 3 weeks),

Hoping Hoffman and Mitchinson are the 2 players omitted, but likely to be Kalmar and Mitchinson

Well you would think that we will be replacing Kewell at some time, whilst replacing a RB (Walker) also seems unlikely so hopefully in that case Hoffman will be omitted rather than Kalmar.

Nothing we didn't already know, hopefully the update squad has the young lads in it.

I would think Kalmar is unlikely to make the final squad - he's had no pre-season. The other one to miss is a toss-up between Wielaert, Vrankovic, Mitchinson and Hoffman. Robbie's had minimal pre-season - he might be the one to miss. It would be stiff on Vranks or Mitch to miss out.

Doubt that either Macallister or Germano will be with us next season.

Will be hanging this from Level 3

IMG_1117_zps42aea10a.jpg

Looks dope man well done.

On another note, does having the tv so fucking close to your bed make your eyes hurt?

Thanks! Yeah there's a desk with my PC and a desk chair to the left, You can see a bit in the top left corner.

I sit there when playing ps3

Who knows the exact price for Junior Away Active ? 

Just curious....

Active section has been sold out for about a week.

I'm not sure that's true actually. It may have shown all seats sold, but I think part of bay 18 has been opened up since. So there's still a few spots available.

In that case, I stand corrected.

was just wondering..

Foundation midfielder Jason Hoffman, speaking in a Herald Sun website column, said Heart players have no trouble getting themselves up for derby matches. 

“We definitely look forward to the games because it seems like we get really pumped for it,’’ Hoffman said.

"I know we had a slip up before Christmas last year when Archie Thompson scored in the last minute, but other than that we’ve had good results. 

We used to joke around saying we wouldn’t mind playing the derby most weeks because we seem to come more prepared for it, but in saying that we just know that this week - being Round 1 especially - is just such a huge game.’’

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/fox-sports-stats-reveal-that-saturday-nights-melbourne-derby-will-be-a-heated-encounter/story-e6frf4gl-1226736558520#ixzz2hIkG31Gr

Would like to think that we can avoid being a club that only ever gets up for derbies this season, surely you've got to be more hungry and driven than that!

Just curious....

I'm not sure that's true actually. It may have shown all seats sold, but I think part of bay 18 has been opened up since. So there's still a few spots available.

was just wondering..

Well, if you look at the Ticketmaster website, you'll find that it's $11.20 + handling fee of $9,10. Next time have a go at it for yourself. ;)

Just curious....

was just wondering..

Well, if you look at the Ticketmaster website, you'll find that it's $11.20 + handling fee of $9,10. Next time have a go at it for yourself. ;)

Thank you! Will try next time ;)

Harry Kewell fired up to make instant impact as he prepares for A-League debut with Melbourne Heart

David Davutovic Herald Sun October 11 2013, 12:00AM

WHEN Harry Kewell arrived to commence his Melbourne Victory career in 2011 almost 300 fans were there to greet him at the airport amid scenes resembling a rock-star arrivals reception.

Almost two years on his Melbourne Heart journey started in contrasting fashion when he touched down to be met by a single Heart official. 

Three months later, and having arrived 71 days earlier than last time, Kewell declared he is in better nick for his second and presumably final A-League stint. 

"I’m better prepared 100 per cent,’’ Kewell told the Herald Sun.

"I felt that even though I had my spell in Qatar I needed a full pre-season under my belt and that was one of the stipulations when I did sign and I think we did the right thing. 

"I’m feeling ready, I’ve worked hard all pre-season so it’s good the game’s come around now. Everyone of us is chomping now.

"Victory was a good learning experience. A lot of people out there think this league’s easy, OK maybe it’s not as technical as the Premier League, La Liga or the Bundesliga but it’s very fast and furious and tough so you’ve got to prepare yourself mentally and physically for that, it takes time.’’ 

His best mate at Victory was Archie Thompson, with the pair fitting in regular rounds of golf in between training sessions.

Kewell’s tenure coincided with the most turbulent time in Victory’s short history, hence much of the finger pointing was directed at the former Leeds United, Liverpool and Galatasaray man for his unsettling influence. 

He also split with his long-time manager and friend Bernie Mandic while his mother-in-law fell ill, which ultimately led to his Victory exit. 

Thompson had no doubt Kewell felt the strain inside, but handled the pressure in the same ice-cool manner he does on the pitch.

"For him and a lot of us, we are probably feeling more pressure off the pitch than we do on it and that’s where you see the world class players step up,’’ Thompson said. 

"When they get on the pitch they want to be put under pressure, they want to take the pressure shots and he’s had that all his career and that’s why he’s been such a success - he’s been willing to put himself out there.

"People don’t see what goes on behind the scenes and we’re only human at the end of the day and we all have our things to take away the pressure and golf was that. 

"We’d always have a laugh and joke on the course and he probably doesn’t show his vulnerability because you don’t want people to see your vulnerable side so that’s probably why a lot of people might think he’s a bit stand-offish. 

"But that’s just who he is and he only lets certain people in and when you do get to know the real Harry he’s certainly a champion guy.’’ 

The pals, who are both hoping to make the Socceroos’ World Cup squad for Brazil, will play central roles in tomorrow night’s Round 1 derby. 

So how will Kewell feel when he runs out against his old club?

"Like I always do, ready. I have confidence in my team,’’ he said.

"It’s important, it’s the first game of the season. Granted it’s a derby in front of a full-house but you’ve got to realise that there’s still games to come after that. 

"If something does happen on the weekend you’ve still got time to correct it. So it’s not the be-all and end-all but it’s always great to get off to a good start.’’ 

Thompson has no doubt Kewell will flourish at Heart.

"He didn’t have a proper pre-season and came in underdone. Then we had the transition of Mehmet going to coach and it wasn’t probably his time so there was a lot of factors that made him not perform at the start of the season,’’ he said. 

"But we definitely saw the best of Harry towards the end of it and it’s a shame he had to obviously go and leave like he did because if he had a full season on him with Ange coming in who knows what he would’ve done.’’ 

We will never know and tomorrow will add another chapter to the tale.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/harry-kewell-fired-up-to-make-instant-impact-as-he-prepares-for-a-league-debut-with-melbourne-heart/story-e6frfkp9-1226737949690

Edited by Murfy1

It really isn't.

This year is the first where I've heard players saying we should be winning the title, competing for the top spot on the ladder rather then making finals or developing players.

Mifsud, Kewell, Weilaert, Engelaar, Murdocca, Kisnorbo all players that are associated with being successful and/or winning titles at different levels. I dare say their prescence in the team will rub off on team expectations.