Melbourne Football

MH 2013/2014 Starting 11 based on contracted players only

Torn Asunder

At this stage I'd assume JA's best 11, for the first part of the season at least, would look very much like this:

534045_10202093648567977_508944506_n.jpg

This is how I think Heart will line up as well.

There's one question I have about our current squad, though. What do we do if Mifsud can't play (either because he's away on international duty, or injured or whatever)? Who's our backup striker?

Macallister is apparently injured and out for a few months, so he isn't an option.

We could play Williams or Golgol. We'll probably exclude at least 3 wingers from every starting 11 (probably Garuccio, Williams and Golgol), so it would be a positive if we could use one of those wingers by playing them as a striker. However, I'm not sure how Williams or Golgol would go playing up front. If I had to choose though, I'd probably go with Golgol, although he hasn't played much pre-season football lately, so he may not be the best option (injured possibly?...).

Kewell? We could then play Kalmar or maybe Dugandzic or Mauk as the number 10/attacking midfielder behind Kewell. I think Kewell would do pretty well up front, although he won't be as quick as he used to be.

Anyway, we'll find out round 1 against the Victory what backup striker Aloisi prefers. And we'll probably see this backup striker being deployed at least a couple of times this season (and maybe for the remaining 20 to 30 minutes of several games, If Mifsud gets subbed off).

At this stage I'd assume JA's best 11, for the first part of the season at least, would look very much like this:

There's one question I have about our current squad, though. What do we do if Mifsud can't play (either because he's away on international duty, or injured or whatever)? Who's our backup striker?

Macallister is apparently injured and out for a few months, so he isn't an option.

We could play Williams or Golgol. We'll probably exclude at least 3 wingers from every starting 11 (probably Garuccio, Williams and Golgol), so it would be a positive if we could use one of those wingers by playing them as a striker. However, I'm not sure how Williams or Golgol would go playing up front. If I had to choose though, I'd probably go with Golgol, although he hasn't played much pre-season football lately, so he may not be the best option (injured possibly?...).

Kewell? We could then play Kalmar or maybe Dugandzic or Mauk as the number 10/attacking midfielder behind Kewell. I think Kewell would do pretty well up front, although he won't be as quick as he used to be.

Anyway, we'll find out round 1 against the Victory what backup striker Aloisi prefers. And we'll probably see this backup striker being deployed at least a couple of times this season (and maybe for the remaining 20 to 30 minutes of several games, If Mifsud gets subbed off).

I really think this season is the one where David Williams needs to finally, fully live up to his potential as a central striker as he was in his younger days at Brisbane, Brondby and then North Queensland.

On his day, he's as good as anyone but we've very rarely seen Willo reach that level that he's more than capable of, so I think it's definitely time for him to step up and fill the void left by Misfud when he doesn't play.

Edited by Nate

I really think this season is the one where David Williams needs to finally, fully live up to his potential as a central striker as he was in his younger days at Brisbane, Brondby and then North Queensland.

On his day, he's as good as anyone but we've very rarely seen Willo reach that level that he's more than capable of, so I think it's definitely time for him to step up and fill the void left by Misfud when he doesn't play.

Hopefully Williams can step up. I think he'll get good chances to prove himself this season, and maybe as our central striker he'll show us what he's capable of.

Couldn't agree more. It's the third of his three-season contract, he's on good coin, and he has the opportunity to play in the position that he coveted right from the start - central striker. There are no more excuses left for Willo.

• Like 1

Redmayne

Walker   Weilaart   Kisnorbo   Behich

Gerhardt      Murdocca

Kewell

Dugandzic          Williams

Mosquito

Bench: Tandoori, Vrankovic, Migliorini, Gol Gol, Ramsay

2nd tier: Mitchinson, Garuccio, Mauk, Germano, Kalmar

3rd tier: Hoffman

Injured: Macallister, Engelaar.

Ahh I missed Kisnorbo. In that case, he moves to the back line and Gerhardt moves to defensive mid with Migliorini on the bench. Germano gets relegated to 2nd tier in my eyes.

Migliorini and Ramsay need to prove themselves first in order to replace Gerhardt and Williams' starting spots.

Walker is not completely safe either. If Migliorini is a gun then I can see Weilaart moving to right back with Gerhardt back into centre defence and Migliorini occupying the defensive mid position with Murdocca.

Edited by Red or Dead

Redmayne

Walker Weilaart Gerhardt Behich

Migliorini Murdocca

Kewell

Dugandzic Williams

Mosquito

Bench: Tandoori, Vrankovic, Germano, Gol gol, Ramsay

2nd tier: Mitchinson, Garuccio, Mauk, Kalmar

So I just counted 23 players. I thought Migliorini was the 24th player (being Engelaar's replacement).

Am I missing someone?

Kisnorbo, our most important player... Edited by LR9

Redmayne

Walker   Weilaart   Kisnorbo   Behich

Gerhardt      Murdocca

Kewell

Dugandzic          Williams

Mosquito

Bench: Tandoori, Vrankovic, Migliorini, Gol Gol, Ramsay

2nd tier: Mitchinson, Garuccio, Mauk, Germano, Kalmar

Ahh I missed Kisnorbo. In that case, he moves to the back line and Gerhardt moves to defensive mid with Migliorini on the bench. Germano gets relegated to 2nd tier in my eyes.

Migliorini and Ramsay need to prove themselves first in order to replace Gerhardt and Williams' starting spots.

Walker is not completely safe either. If Migliorini is a gun then I can see Weilaart moving to right back with Gerhardt back into centre defence and Migliorini occupying the defensive mid position with Murdocca.

Ramsay needs to improve himself over Williams to earn a starting XI spot? not sure if srs.

Migilori has played 45 minutes and in tricky conditions, I'm sure he is decent but I don't really see him walking straight into the starting 11 over PG.

Also not sure what's happening is with Walker and Hoffman, Walker seams to have dropped down the pecking order in favour for Hoff who has played the majority at LB!! Dunno what the deal is there, but I hope that's not the case.  :huh:  :huh:  :huh: 

At this stage I'd assume JA's best 11, for the first part of the season at least, would look very much like this:534045_10202093648567977_508944506_n.jpg

I'd play this team simply due to the graphics you just did!!!

Good stuff man! The teams good too lol

Migilori has played 45 minutes and in tricky conditions, I'm sure he is decent but I don't really see him walking straight into the starting 11 over PG.

Also not sure what's happening is with Walker and Hoffman, Walker seams to have dropped down the pecking order in favour for Hoff who has played the majority at LB!! Dunno what the deal is there, but I hope that's not the case. :huh: :huh: :huh:

At this stage I'd assume JA's best 11, for the first part of the season at least, would look very much like this:534045_10202093648567977_508944506_n.jpg

I'd play this team simply due to the graphics you just did!!!

Good stuff man! The teams good too lol I like how you made behich run forward and not track back Lmao :-)

our trouble lies in midifeld this year IMO, kewell can hardly move, paddy g can hardly pass the ball, and mass is just a workhorse,

Mass will run the opposition into the ground.

Paddy g will be our ball winning defensive rock.

Kewell will tear shit up.

I can't see any trouble there.

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

I'm hoping we play a 4-2-3-1 style it would suit us this season with Kewell as the AM and Mifsud up front. With Ramsay, Dugandzic, Williams and Gol-Gol fighting for the two RW/LW spots. Also what does everyone think about Mifsud missing the first game due to internationals? Personally I think either Gol Gol or Williams should replace him up front. Would love to see a forward structure that looks like this: Dugandzic - Kewell - Ramsay Gol-Gol/Williams #goheart!

• 3 weeks later...

HOME:

Redmayne

Kisnorbo - Wielart - Gerhardt

Walker - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Behich

Murdocca - Migliorini

Dugandzic

Kewell - Mifsud

AWAY:

Redmayne

Murdocca - Germano - Migliorini

Kewell - Mifsud

• Like 3

HOME:

Redmayne

Murdocca - Migliorini

Dugandzic

Kewell - Mifsud

AWAY:

Redmayne

Murdocca - Germano - Migliorini

Kewell - Mifsud

Duga for a fit Kalmar for mine. Other than that, spot on.

Just commenting on those line-ups, assuming they mean Dugandzic as an AM in away games and Germano as a CM in home games.

Dealing with the latter first, IMO Germano has had no pre-season, following on from an injury-riddled last season, and I can't see why he would be considered for a senior place until he's at least played his way back in though the NYL side. IMO there are several fit players in front of him.

In terms of Mate I see him as a wide attacking forward. When he was really firing he was a very free-flowing player, but seeing him in pre-season he looked somehow restricted in his play. He's also very easily knocked off the ball. In the past he has been quite impressive in midfield, but I don't think he could stand up to it at the moment.

All these things are matters of opinion. 

just to clarify, Duga as the AM for home games, he proved his ability in this position when Fred was injured. As a winger I don't think he's direct enough, he wants to get early balls in and will rarely beat his opponent 1v1 when getting to the byline and cutting it back is a far more dangerous route to goal.

Alternately it could be worked as a 3-4-3 with Kewell, Mifsud and Dugandzic all rotating across the 3 attacking positions.

Germano when fit would be in the midfield 3. He's got the workrate, positional sense and will do the 1%ers that were often neglected last season when has wasn't available. Not sure how effective Ramsay would be in the middle of the park, but wouldn't mind seeing it given a crack.

• 3 weeks later...

Stevanja

Petreski - Archibald - Wieleart © - Behich

Migliorini - Murdocca

Espindola - Schroen - Ramsey

Mifsud

B: Petrovski, Vrankovic, Dao, Garuccio, Mauk

Would love to see more youth as most of the seniors really look like they don't give a shit but I think you're a little harsh on a few players.

Gerhardt looks like he gives his all every time he wears the shirt, I reckon he deserves to play.

Would be a bit harsh to drop Walker after one match, he's not too different to a youth team player as well and is fighting for his spot etc.

Haven't seen that much from Migliorini, Ramsey or Misfud either that warrants them starting instead of others.

best team IMO. 

redmayne 

Gerhardt Wielart Kisnorbo 

Ramsay                            Behich

Migliorini  Murdocca Williams

Kewell 

Misfud.

Williams at LCM? Ramsay at RWB (he's left footed isn't he?)

For me it would be:

Redmayne 
                  Gerhardt Wielart Kisnorbo 
Walker           Migliorini  Murdocca                 Behich
                               Kewell 
        Williams/Duga/Ramsay  Mifsud.

WIth the option of pushing Kewell and one of the strikers out wide into a 3-4-3

• Like 2

Redmayne

Vrankovic - Kisnorbo -Wielaert

Walker - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Behich

Murdocca - Migliorini

Kewell

Williams - Mifsud

If we want to play possession football, we can't play Gerhardt. As great a competitor as he is, he is anti-football when in possession and only one of him and Kisnorbo should be on the park at the same time.

• Like 3

Redmayne

Vrankovic - Kisnorbo -Wielaert

Walker - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Behich

Murdocca - Migliorini

Kewell

Williams - Mifsud

If we want to play possession football, we can't play Gerhardt. As great a competitor as he is, he is anti-football when in possession and only one of him and Kisnorbo should be on the park at the same time.

Agree with your assessment on PG, but 5 at the back is a big mistake imo.