Melbourne Football

MH 2013/2014 Starting 11 based on contracted players only

Torn Asunder

Kalmar is a fkn gun, so good on the ball, the best player we probably have on the ball....

He is what i like to call a good a league player, you know what you will get with him

What kalmar have you been watching? The guy is a turnover machine and gets pushed off the ball way too easy. A very average player

Kalmar is a fkn gun, so good on the ball, the best player we probably have on the ball....

He is what i like to call a good a league player, you know what you will get with him

What kalmar have you been watching? The guy is a turnover machine and gets pushed off the ball way too easy. A very average player

He's been so inconsistent but on his day, he's far better than average imo.

Can dribble, shoot, head and has got height, strength and skills, just lacks stamina and passing range but hopefully he can rectify that before game 1!

Make or break year for Kalmar.

His blinder last year was fantastic but in that game I tend to recall that we had one extra midfielder, based on the formation of the opposing team and NK was not really closed down.

The match after he was given very little time and space and he struggled.

No doubt the club hold him in high regard given his appearance on the clubs promotional stuff, however I don't think he is a starter in our best 11. For Nicky to be around next season, when his chance comes he must take it and hold on like his life depends on it! I like the kid and I hope he does well

You're all forgetting how good Kalmar was in season one...

Took a lot of people by surprise for how much he could impact a game.

Creative, strong, powerful, and classy.

Yes, he has been horribly inconsistent, and has had some pretty serious injuries, but he has shown enough promise to suggest he will be a handy player at the very least.

• Like 1

Yes, he has been horribly inconsistent, and has had some pretty serious injuries, but he has shown enough promise to suggest he will be a handy player at the very least.

A very good bench player - But IMO opinion if he was going to be a Top Four side's Number 10 then he would have shown more consistency by now.

I think Kewell could do some pretty impressive things as our Number 10.

From what I've seen:

Gol>Kewell>Engeelar>Kalmar>Duga>Willo

Who would people want to take penalties?

I'd want Golgol to take them but Kewell would most likely be the first choice. And I hope his first goal won't come from one. Edited by hakz7

A very good bench player - But IMO opinion if he was going to be a Top Four side's Number 10 then he would have shown more consistency by now.

He's much more of a creative central midfielder than he is a number 10, though.

And that's one of the biggest issues; the coaching staff plays him wrongly, and people don't see what his playing style actually is.

He's much more of a creative central midfielder than he is a number 10, though.

And that's one of the biggest issues; the coaching staff plays him wrongly, and people don't see what his playing style actually is.

He has a more basic problem than that - Which is his inability to run out games strongly at A League level.

(Not a good problem to have at the early to mid point of your career.)

• Like 1

I'd want Golgol to take them but Kewell would most likely be the first choice. And I hope his first goal won't come from one.

Don't care how he scores his first goal. As long as its round 1! :-)Very true. In that case, he can use his hand to score and I won't care.

What I meant was, I hope he can start scoring goals from open play early on rather than waiting for a penalty a few weeks into the season to score his first.

FFA just announced that teams can have a fifth player on the bench. That being said, how do you guys think it will effect us?

I reckon it will help us have another young player on the bench. We'll probably have something like Tando, Vrankovic, Kalmar, Williams/Ramsay/Mebrahtu and now someone else like Garuccio or Mauk.

Maybe not always, but I reckon young players like Garuccio and Mauk will make the match day squad more often (especially when we have an injury or two, as well).

Redmayne

Walker  Gerhardt  Weilaart  Behich

Engelaar     Murdocca ©

Kewell

Dugandzic                  Ramsay

Williams

Bench: Thando, Vrankovic, Germano, Kalmar, Mebrahtu

Challenging for a spot: Garuccio, Mauk, Mitchinson and Macallister (until our star striker is signed)

Carrying the oranges: Hoffman

Unfortunately I couldn't make the Richmond game, but based on reports it looks as though things are sorting themselves out a little.

At this stage I'm concerned about Germano and Kalmar, neither of whom have put in an appearance so far. Too late now on Velaphi, but God knows why we rushed in to sign him - why not trial him and Bray in these pre-seasons and see how they go? Not impressed with his signing at all.

Looks like Ramsay and Williams fighting it out for the LW, with Gucci just waiting to pounce. I think Ramsay is the more complete footballer, so he's my starting pick atm.

Gol jostling with Mate on the right - there's not much between these two.

I also hope we're going to see our wingers switching more this season - all have got good shots on them so coming inside and going for goal is a good option.

In midfield Engelaar as DM of course, with Kewell as AM, and IMO Murdocca just has to be in there; his work-rate is just astonishing. 

My pick at this stage:

Redmayne;

Walker, Gerhardt, Wielaert; Behich;

Engelaar;

Murdocca, Kewell;

Mate/GolGol, Visa striker, Ramsay.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

The thing about signing Velaphi is that he is happy to sit on the bench for the entire season. He knows redders is our number 1, and accepts the fact that he'll only play if redders is injured. Bray on the other hand, is definitely the better keeper, but would want to play most weeks,and we just can't give him that. That's why velaphi was signed

The thing about signing Velaphi is that he is happy to sit on the bench for the entire season. He knows redders is our number 1, and accepts the fact that he'll only play if redders is injured. Bray on the other hand, is definitely the better keeper, but would want to play most weeks,and we just can't give him that. That's why velaphi was signed

I hear what you say. But I've just watched the highlights of last night's game and he made at least three atrocious blunders that could have - should have - cost us goals.

If Redders is injured God help us.

• Like 1

It would be better for both Redmayne and Bray to have them pushing each other than a situation where a number 1 knows that he has to seriously fuck up or be in a wheelchair before he's not going to play.

It would be better for both Redmayne and Bray to have them pushing each other than a situation where a number 1 knows that he has to seriously fuck up or be in a wheelchair before he's not going to play.

I agree with what you and jw are saying, i'm just giving what i believe the reason is that bray wasn't signed. We don't know what his demands were, money, playing time ext, and we just couldn't guarantee him that. I don't think that one person on here would sign velaphi over bray on talent alone, but there are a lot of different factors we don't know about.

On the Bray v Velaphi thing I think the most important thing for Bray to be doing is playing week in and out, I'm pretty syre the club believe this too. He will play every week in the yoof team and will likely be on the bench for the odd senior game where practicable. He could even come in if Redders goes down and tando remains on the bench. I wouldn't stress to much unless Redders goes down.

• Like 1

On the Bray v Velaphi thing I think the most important thing for Bray to be doing is playing week in and out, I'm pretty syre the club believe this too. He will play every week in the yoof team and will likely be on the bench for the odd senior game where practicable. He could even come in if Redders goes down and tando remains on the bench. I wouldn't stress to much unless Redders goes down.

Finally some sanity - Can u post this in the Sack Thread as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well since this has all happend.

Based on if best case scenario for Engelaar and we dont manage to get a replacement. I really hope JA throws caution in the wind until Engelaar gets back at least.

Redders

Walker Weilaert Vranks Behich

Murdocca Gerhardt

Kewell

Duga Mebrahtu/McGrath Ramsay.

Williams, Kalmar, Mebrahtu/McGrath, Germano, Tando

• 2 weeks later...

We'll, this has drastically improved...

Redmayne
Walker - Kisnorbo - Weilaert - Behich
Murdocca - Gerhardt
Kewell
Duganzic - McGrath* - Mebrahtu

B: Velaphi, Vrankovic, Kalmar/Germano, Williams, Ramsey

*McGrath signing is conditional, but he should be fit to start with 8 weeks of P/S under his belt.

• Like 2

With a fully fit squad

Redmayne

Engelaar  - Gerhardt

Kewell

Duganzic - McGrath* - Ramsey

Sub: Murdocca- Williams - GolGol - Vrankovic - Tando 

At the moment I've got it down as something like this.

Redmayne

Gerhardt - Murdocca

Duganzic   Kewell    Ramsey

Macallister (/McGrath/Wonderstriker)

Bench: Velaphi, Vrankovic, GolGol, Williams, Germano.

If a striker that isn't D-Mac is signed, then I think Macallister drops out of the side entirely.

Edited by Tommykins

Time to adopt the Arsenal Invincibles formation, we've got the ideal players for every position.

Redders

Walker - Weilaert - Kisnorbo - Behich

Germano - Gerhardt - Murdocca                  

Dugandzic

Kewell - Gol Gol

When in possesion Dugandzic moves inside ala Pires to give Behich (Cole) the touchline to run into, whilst Kewell drops deeper into the hole ala Bergkamp, and they play through balls to the lightning quick striker Gol Gol (Henry). Simples.

• Like 3