Melbourne Football

MH 2013/2014 Starting 11 based on contracted players only

Torn Asunder

I'm looking at all of the above and thinking about how could we leave Gerhardt out given his performance last season, then switching to thinking about the need to develop Vrankovich as a potential future Socceroo?? Can we drop Gerhardt into DM and he and Orlando create some real fear?? Or should Kewell be in the middle with Kalmar on the bench, or Kewell out wide with Kalmar in?? And should Mate be given a crack centrally as his brief cameo there last year was quite good.??

At the end of the day, I'm telling myself what a great dilemma JA has in front of him. We have depth, flexibility and certainly more all round talent than last year. Put in a great marquee striker (or even AM) and this is all looking pretty solid. Given the widespread despair at the end of lat season, this season looks like it's going to be a great ride and I can't wait.

My ideal starting line up would be;

Redmayne

Walker - Wielaert - Vrankovic - Behich

Engelaar - Murdocca

Kewell- Kalmar - Ramsey

Visa Striker

still have massive faith in Kalmar. Will be a solid A-league player good, but never quite good enough to leave us. I also think now that we have a decent holding midfielder its time for PG to be taken out of the starting line up. He was a good player laying good last ditch tackles when we were under the pump, but now that we look like we will have a team that can actually attack you need the defence to be able to play the ball out. Vrankovic can do this.

The more I look at this, the more it makes sense. I think our wingers (Gol Gol, Willo & Ramsey) are a much of a muchness in terms of who plays so I'm disregarding that.

Murdocca & Engelaar are both ball winning midfielders which will allow Kalmar off the leash in a sense. I've always seen Kalmar's defensive workrate as his weakness while his strength comes from when he has the ball.

Also, will be good to finally have someone who dominates in the air (Kewell) so we don't have to feel hopeless everytime Gerhardt tries one of his shit long balls.

My ideal starting line up would be;

Redmayne

Walker - Wielaert - Vrankovic - Behich

Engelaar - Murdocca

Kewell- Kalmar - Ramsey

Visa Striker

still have massive faith in Kalmar. Will be a solid A-league player good, but never quite good enough to leave us. I also think now that we have a decent holding midfielder its time for PG to be taken out of the starting line up. He was a good player laying good last ditch tackles when we were under the pump, but now that we look like we will have a team that can actually attack you need the defence to be able to play the ball out. Vrankovic can do this.

The more I look at this, the more it makes sense. I think our wingers (Gol Gol, Willo & Ramsey) are a much of a muchness in terms of who plays so I'm disregarding that.

Murdocca & Engelaar are both ball winning midfielders which will allow Kalmar off the leash in a sense. I've always seen Kalmar's defensive workrate as his weakness while his strength comes from when he has the ball.

Also, will be good to finally have someone who dominates in the air (Kewell) so we don't have to feel hopeless everytime Gerhardt tries one of his shit long balls.

With some ball playing mids hopefully he has other options than the shit long ball!

Personally, Gerhardt is still required in the centre of defence, he brings a nice bit of steel to it and from the brief amount I've seen of Wielaert so far, he looks like he'll win a lot of ball also, given that Massimo wants to come pick up the ball from the central defenders, I don't think they'll be required to play as much ball as they did last year.

While I do agree with you, during the few decent games he has had, the amount of potential he has shown is quite surprising. Unfortunately I think he will be one of those players who show flashes of brilliance but will never consistently play at a high level.

That's why I would have him coming off the bench. If I'm not mistaken he's been a foundation player, so he has been here long enough that to say he has potential is not an excuse. I don't believe he's done enough to get into the starting 11, let alone sit on the bench

While I do agree with you, during the few decent games he has had, the amount of potential he has shown is quite surprising. Unfortunately I think he will be one of those players who show flashes of brilliance but will never consistently play at a high level.

That's why I would have him coming off the bench. If I'm not mistaken he's been a foundation player, so he has been here long enough that to say he has potential is not an excuse. I don't believe he's done enough to get into the starting 11, let alone sit on the bench

Like quite a few things at this club I am giving him one more season before I give up hope.

I do agree though I don't think he has deserved a starting spot at this point.

The problem is that the other 9 clubs are not standing still, so the league is improving around us whether we like it or not. Kalmar will turn 26 early next season, so he's not likely to develop a lot further. He's one of at least four players whom I think may see this as their last season with Heart. We've had too many players so far who have not played to their potential often enough.

To be fair to him, he hasn't had the greatest run with injuries over the years but I do admit that he has to improve and become more consistent this season, and I personally think he will with a guy like Harry there to model his game off of. 

Kalmar did pretty well in his first season, scoring 3 goals, including the winning goal (and only goal) in our first win. He effectively missed his entire second season due to a terrible back injury. And I think he was rather good last season when called upon, especially when compared with other Heart players.

Next season is a big season for Kalmar, no doubt. But I think he's a good player with very good potential, who can still get even better with regular playing time. He's had such a disrupted career, and he only began playing at professional level when he joined Heart, so I wouldn't think that he couldn't get any better.

I back Kalmar to step up and improve next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Kalmar did pretty well in his first season, scoring 3 goals, including the winning goal (and only goal) in our first win. He effectively missed his entire second season due to a terrible back injury. And I think he was rather good last season when called upon, especially when compared with other Heart players.

Next season is a big season for Kalmar, no doubt. But I think he's a good player with very good potential, who can still get even better with regular playing time. He's had such a disrupted career, and he only began playing at professional level when he joined Heart, so I wouldn't think that he couldn't get any better.

I'm dead serious in saying that every single one of your posts on this forum are of the utmost quality, just saying

needs to do more kalmar's corner tbh

• Like 1

The problem is that the other 9 clubs are not standing still, so the league is improving around us whether we like it or not. Kalmar will turn 26 early next season, so he's not likely to develop a lot further. He's one of at least four players whom I think may see this as their last season with Heart. We've had too many players so far who have not played to their potential often enough.

Who's your other 3 JW? Dmac, Germano, hoff?

Edited by Jake

Who's your other 3 JW? Dmac, Germano, hoff?

Yes.

another season like last season for Williams, and he'll be first out the door, IMO i dont know how hes still even in our squad after last seasons performance..

given that you could add a number to that list that are still there (ie Hoffman, MaCallister, to an extent Germano - mostly poor thanks to injuries) and a number that have already gone (Fred, Colosimo, Thompson) it raises a concern around stability within the squad.

by all means, the team was shite last season and changes were required.

doesnt mean you through the baby out with the bathtub though.  the team needs stability so that players don't fear they'll be outcasted because of one bad game, month, etc.  doesnt give them much confidence. 

it also makes it hard if there is some continued pattern work, defensive work, etc., the coaches are trying to implement.  having a couple of players (even if they have had a poor prior season) have a solid understanding of what the coach wants.  makes it easier for others to adjust.

personally, Williams needs to work on his second touch.  watching him makes me think a lot of Rugter Worm - the two have a tendancy to mess up on their second touch. 

he is good enough to get and trap the ball, just doesnt always seem to know what to do next.

Edited by mattyh001

given the quality of the players signed so far (Wielaert, Kewell, Engelaar et al) and that the club has been quite public in their desire to fill the Striker role with a visa player, i am quite excited to see who they get. 

mind you, it'll be interesting to see who they use and where on friday against Richmond.

has there been any indication that Kewell will actually be used in the hole?  I know that he played there against La Trobe, but that doesnt mean he is necessarily pegged for that position and nowhere else.

Would not be at all surprised if we go into the season with Williams or Gol-Gol as our striker and Kewell playing as #10 and Dugandzic and Ramsey as the wingers. Or Kewell as striker and Dugandzic as #10. Leaving the foreign spot open until we find the right player, be it as a striker or another position depending on how we're travelling.

Williams was simply a good player on a bad team when he was at north Queensland. Its pretty easy to be the best player on your team when the rest of your team is shit. I also think that while the a-leagues general level has improved david has not. Him and kalmar are on my shit list, if they don't show some form this season they need to go. I've got time for germano though, was injured a lot last season and can be a very solid player when healthy

Would not be at all surprised if we go into the season with Williams or Gol-Gol as our striker and Kewell playing as #10 and Dugandzic and Ramsey as the wingers. Or Kewell as striker and Dugandzic as #10. Leaving the foreign spot open until we find the right player, be it as a striker or another position depending on how we're travelling.

We might do that. But we don't really have much of a record of bringing in players mid-season. It's only really worked in the case of Madaschi I reckon. And visa players need time to adjust to the conditions and their new circumstances. I'd prefer we just fill the squad with the best players we can get and have them training and playing together for the whole season.

This is a slightly different point, but if we get so many injuries that we need to bring players in, then just give youth players the experience. Even if they're not ready yet. If we're in this position again, chances are the year will be shot anyway and plugging gaps with whatever we can scrounge at the time (Coyne, Reid, Meeuwis . . .) does little good. In contrast, we might at least uncover another Goodwin or Walker.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

has there been any indication that Kewell will actually be used in the hole?  I know that he played there against La Trobe, but that doesnt mean he is necessarily pegged for that position and nowhere else.

Aloisi said on radio 2 weeks ago that Kewell can play anywhere in the front 4, but "at the moment I'm looking to play him a bit more central because we've got such good wingers". More definitively, Aloisi then said ATM he plans to play Kewell "either right up top or as a number 10" (http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/AUDIO-Aloisi-on-RSN-Radio/71770).

Aloisi said on radio 2 weeks ago that Kewell can play anywhere in the front 4, but "at the moment I'm looking to play him a bit more central because we've got such good wingers". More definitively, Aloisi then said ATM he plans to play Kewell "either right up top or as a number 10" (http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/AUDIO-Aloisi-on-RSN-Radio/71770).

I suppose it depends if we land one of those targets we have as striker. It would be pretty close to perfect if we were able to sign one pretty soon and have the whole squad a month together to gel