MH 2013/2014 Starting 11 based on contracted players only

Torn Asunder

Redmayne

Vrankovic - Kisnorbo -Wielaert

Walker - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Behich

Murdocca - Migliorini

Kewell

Williams - Mifsud

If we want to play possession football, we can't play Gerhardt. As great a competitor as he is, he is anti-football when in possession and only one of him and Kisnorbo should be on the park at the same time.

Agree with your assessment on PG, but 5 at the back is a big mistake imo.

What about 3 at the back?

Redmayne

Murdocca - Migliorini

Kewell

Williams - Mifsud

If we want to play possession football, we can't play Gerhardt. As great a competitor as he is, he is anti-football when in possession and only one of him and Kisnorbo should be on the park at the same time.

Agree with your assessment on PG, but 5 at the back is a big mistake imo.

What about 3 at the back?

no

Redmayne

Murdocca - Migliorini

Kewell

Williams - Mifsud

IMO that's quite a good starting line-up, except that I would have Ramsay there instead of Williams.

• 1 month later...

Redders

Walker Wielaart Kisnorbo Behich

Murdocca

Migliorini Kewell

GolGol   Williams(false no9)  Ramsay

id play this. I would have golgol and ramsay as our two pacey wide wingers with williams as our false no9.

I would also play migliorini higher up the pitch because he tends to attack a lot more and doesnt push back as much.

Edited by Demon_Heart

---------------Redders

--------------Murdocca

------------Migliorini Kewell

id play this. I would have golgol and ramsay as our two pacey wide wingers with williams as our false no9.

I would also play migliorini higher up the pitch because he tends to attack a lot more and doesnt push back as much.

Fair enough, decent enough side, but how you have Golgol starting is beyond me, he has been utter trash all season, IMO.

Also with Williams playing as a false 9, do you think it'd get a bit congested at the top with 2 AMs + the wingers?

---------------Redders

--------------Murdocca

------------Migliorini Kewell

Fair enough, decent enough side, but how you have Golgol starting is beyond me, he has been utter trash all season, IMO.

Also with Williams playing as a false 9, do you think it'd get a bit congested at the top with 2 AMs + the wingers?

tbh, i cant stand golgol but im not sure who else can play there tbh, mate hasnt been the same since the injury and it works best with a pacey player (ie golgol)

I would love garruccio to get a run but im not sure he would fit in that well.

the AM's might have to push back a bit more but i think it could possibly work.

but im just an average joe, with a regular job ;)

• Like 1

Redders

Murdocca

Migliorini Kewell

thats suicide. 

people are already complaining with our midfield not defending enough, so the solution is to have less of them?

Redders

Walker    Kisnorbo       Wielaert         Aziz

Migliorini        Murdocca        Retre      

Mauk          Kewell

Williams

Redders

Murdocca

Migliorini Kewell

thats suicide. 

people are already complaining with our midfield not defending enough, so the solution is to have less of them?

Redders

Walker    Kisnorbo       Wielaert         Aziz

Migliorini        Murdocca        Retre      

Mauk          Kewell

Williams

A false nine system uses the '9' as an extra midfielder giving you a number advantage in the midfield. Which means more midfielders as opposed to less. Either way I'm not sure what the answer is but I think our formation must accommodate the following:

- a 5'5 striker (ie possession ball on the ground)

- full backs over lapping both Aziz and jezza are fantasic at this

- better ball retention (so we aren't defending 90% of the game)

To do any of this as has been pointed out several times on this forum requires specific training and instructions from the coaching staff. Something that from the outside looking in, looks like it is sorely missing from this particular first time coach.

So for me I thinks it's got to be a 4-3-3 with Gohard (later Engelaar) in the dm spot dropping back in between the 2 central defenders and 2 am's in Kewell and Murdocca with Murdocca being the glue guy more box to box really. Very similar to the way Brisbane used to set up with Paartalu. This allows us to get 2 of our better attacking weapons in Walker and Aziz into the game and they get us in behind teams. Then we will at least be watching some decent football regardless of results.

Drop weilhart play vrankovic

We've all seen the kid play in the past, and I'd want him in the first team more than any other defender. But why does he deserve a position? A player can't just be put in because we think he can play. Has he deserved it? Watching him play in NYL I'd say, unfortunately, definitely not at this stage.

• Like 1

Based on the players we have and looking towards the big picture, considering we are very unlikely to play finals or be a contender, i'd play:

------------------Redmayne

Walker----Wielaert---Vrankovic---Aziz

----------Murdocca--------Retre

Mauk-----------Kalmar--------Garuccio

-------------------Mifsud

Reasons:

- Walker and Aziz are our two best options at full back, no need to explain further regarding this

- I don't see the point in having 2 experienced centre backs, i'd rather have someone with a bright future be given the opportunity. I picked Wielaert ahead of Kisnorbo because he is the better footballer, his experience playing in the Dutch league should be invaluable to the back 4.

- Migliorini is only on a short term contract so he should not be given any minutes, Retre was servicable in the games he played this season and to me has shown more potential than Migs, Murdocca is a proven A-League performer and his experience as a title winner should help the midfield develop.

- Mauk and Garuccio need to be given chances to perform at this level, i dont see the point in giving GolGol, Williams, and Ramsey minutes because they have been given PLENTY of chances at this level and have not shown enough to warrent first XI selection on such a constant basis. Dugandzic hasnt lived up to expectations this season but i'd say that more to do with confidence coming back from an injury.

- Kalmar plays in the No.10 role ahead of Kewell because i don't see Harry being here next season, and IMO should have never been signed in the first place. I thought last season Kalmar proved he can cut it at this level, but this season he has been used horribly. He might be slow and 'unfit', but so were Zidane and Riquelme, and they always fit into the coaches system. And no, i'm not saying Kalmar is any where near as good as them, but my point is that players with there styles have a place in football.

- Mifsud although is unproven in the A-League, and hasnt lived up to the hype, is the best option we have up front, his experience in international football should rub off on the younger players in the final third.

Some pretty interesting comments from Eddy Bosnar on this week's Fox Sports Football podcast:

"I think Melbourne Heart are playing with some heart now, which is good. We can see that as soon as Harry Kewell came on, I think you mentioned that also on your show, that he played really well. 

He did one or two turns in the middle of the field which no other player in the league can do. And if they can get him fit, and they had Orlando Engelaar, that's a big miss, I played against him in Holland, he's a fantastic player. I think with him, Wielaert at the back, also Patrick Kisnorbo, you can see he's played some really good football since he's been back, he throws himself at everything. 

I think that Melbourne Heart have got a much better team than where they are, I don't know what the reason is why they are not doing so well, I was actually surprised when I saw who they brought in, I thought Melbourne Heart would be a good team this year. It's still early, though. I think they can come back."

It's interesting to get the perspective of someone who's familiar with many of the players in our team, and who probably hasn't been influenced by the (poor) Australian media of Heart, since he plays abroad.
Bosnar is familiar with the players in our squad, and he thinks we have a pretty good squad, so that pretty much just leaves the coaching department as the reason for our poor season (not a new conclusion, of course).

Also, I've come to think there's more of a chance than I previously thought that we could come back strongly and finish higher up the table. I was pretty morose after we lost 5 in a row, but I think if Kewell and Engelaar can return to fitness and stay fit, and most of our starting XI can stay fit, we could play much better football and turn things around (even if JA somehow stays). By the way, if Engelaar is fit by the start of January he could play 15 matches for us, and even if he's only fit by the Febuary 9th match, he could still play 10 whole season matches.

Think of it as the Sydney FC approach to success. If you stuff a team with enough capable players, like ADP, Garcia, Carle, their new Serbian defender and Serbian striker etc., a team has to play well and get results, even if the coach is mediocre (which Farina undeniably is IMO). Big players make a big difference (also notice how poor Sydney is with ADP out).

Yes a few players have been over-hyped by supporters a bit, but I still believe the core of our team is quite strong, and outside observers like Bosnar see that. Hopefully our quality players can stand up and show us their quality, regardless of the silly things that the coaching department does.
Edited by Murfy1

Redmayne

Walker - Vrankovic - Wielart -Behich

Murdocca Retre

Williams Garuccio

GolGol Mifsud

Tando - Kisnorbo - Mauk - Miglorini - Kewell

Finished: Dugandzic Kalmar Hoffman Germano

Last legs: Ramsey Gethardt Kisnorbo Miglorini Macalister

Needing time: Walker Retre GARUCCIO Mauk Vrankovic Archibald Mitchinson .... GolGol

• 2 weeks later...

Starting line up and formation for the CCM game-

..............................Redders

Hoffman..........Vranks....... Weilart...........Behich

...................Retre................Murdocca

...........Garuccio. ...........................Mauk

.........................Williams

...................................Misfud

Vranks needs a chance. We need 2 DMs (Mobile DMs, so no Kalmar).

Halfway though the season with no wins, surely Garuccio and Mauk need to get a chance to grow.

Even with all their misses, misfud and Williams deserve to start upfront as they are 2 players who give it their all. I actually think misfud needs to play off someone else and Williams would be perfect.

Edited by drcolossus1

I have no idea how anyone can think Murdocca deserves to be playing football for us, never mind starting. He is easily one of the worst players ive seen play for us. Probably the worst to start this many games atleast. IMO its obvious that we only have the team to play a 4-3-3. When you have so many wingers on your books you have to play it. 

The decision to drop Jeremy Walker is the worst of JAs career. He was the best defender we had before he was dropped. The amount of times he was drifting in from RB to cover the pathetic CBs was ridiculous. He was making goal saving challenges week in week out and then he is dropped so we can play a bloke out of position like Hoffman. Stupid. Once Superstar is sacked I would like to see

Redmayne

Walker Kisnorbo Wielart Mitchinson

Hoffman Gerhardt Behich

Garrucio Misfud Williams

Velaphi, Retre, Williams, Kewell, GolGol

Behich needs to head into the midfield too. Makes too many mistakes one on one at LB. I trust Mitchinson defensively. Id look to sign David Carney if our new owners have some extra cash to spend. He isnt cut out for the MLS and the like but he can still do a job for us in the A-League. 

Edited by Dynomite

I have no idea how anyone can think Murdocca deserves to be playing football for us, never mind starting. He is easily one of the worst players ive seen play for us. Probably the worst to start this many games atleast. IMO its obvious that we only have the team to play a 4-3-3. When you have so many wingers on your books you have to play it.

The decision to drop Jeremy Walker is the worst of JAs career. He was the best defender we had before he was dropped. The amount of times he was drifting in from RB to cover the pathetic CBs was ridiculous. He was making goal saving challenges week in week out and then he is dropped so we can play a bloke out of position like Hoffman. Stupid. Once Superstar is sacked I would like to see

Redmayne

Walker Kisnorbo Wielart Mitchinson

Hoffman Gerhardt Behich

Garrucio Misfud Williams

Velaphi, Retre, Williams, Kewell, GolGol

Behich needs to head into the midfield too. Makes too many mistakes one on one at LB. I trust Mitchinson defensively. Id look to sign David Carney if our new owners have some extra cash to spend. He isnt cut out for the MLS and the like but he can still do a job for us in the A-League.

our midfield would get destroyed and the team set up like that would lead to more long balls and counter attacking Edited by malloy

Midfield already gets destroyed. Atleast in that lineup you have a defensive presence and wingers supporting Misfud as opposed to letting him make his BS runs behind the defense by himself. 

Long balls will stop being played when the new coach gives them some hope of passing it out of defense. This can happen if we have 3 midfielders completely non committed to attacking and instead drifting back and running at our defense to pick up the passes. Leave all the attacking and I mean all of it to the front 3 instead. 

Midfield already gets destroyed. Atleast in that lineup you have a defensive presence and wingers supporting Misfud as opposed to letting him make his BS runs behind the defense by himself.

Long balls will stop being played when the new coach gives them some hope of passing it out of defense. This can happen if we have 3 midfielders completely non committed to attacking and instead drifting back and running at our defense to pick up the passes. Leave all the attacking and I mean all of it to the front 3 instead.

so you would have us further outnumbered upfront by not letting the whole team attack, which in turn invites more pressure on us from the other team. The three midfielders you selected cannot string a pass together and hardly ever present themselves to receive a ball. The exception being Behich who does put himself in positions to receive the ball, but all he does when he gets it is run down the wing and either take too many touches and lose it or put in a shit cross.

what we need in our midfield is players who can control the tempo of the game. Kewell can do this (though he doesnt seem to really try much) and Kalmar can aswell (though Kalmar lets himself down in other ways)

You cant play with what you dont have. We dont have midfielders who can play like Flores/Milligan/McGlinchey. We do have players who can mark them out of the game. We need to defend from the midfield and attack with our wingers.

Fact is in a rebuild in football you have to rebuild from the defense up. We need to learn how to keep a clean sheet before we can build on our attack. IMO committing 3 men forward for a majority of the game is a step forward.

Alot of other people bad mouth Williams for never tracking back so why give him that responsibility? Atleast a front 3 will allow him to play with complete attacking freedom. Who knows, with that type of freedom perhaps he can get back to his best. 

You cant play with what you dont have. We dont have midfielders who can play like Flores/Milligan/McGlinchey. We do have players who can mark them out of the game. We need to defend from the midfield and attack with our wingers.

Fact is in a rebuild in football you have to rebuild from the defense up. We need to learn how to keep a clean sheet before we can build on our attack. IMO committing 3 men forward for a majority of the game is a step forward.

Alot of other people bad mouth Williams for never tracking back so why give him that responsibility? Atleast a front 3 will allow him to play with complete attacking freedom. Who knows, with that type of freedom perhaps he can get back to his best.

We do have the majority of the players it is just poor coaching and tactics letting us down.

Watch any good team play and you will see they attack as a team and defend as a team.

By setting up the team to defend (which we havee numerous times this season and it has been our worst performances) you just invite the other team to attack more and more. A defence cant hold out for 90 minutes and not concede when it is under constant pressure.

I would also like to point out that when we have been at our best is when we have had Nicky and kewell on. This is because they know how to control the midfield with their passing. Granted they both do have their downsides which I referred to above, but we atleast play more positively with them on the pitch.

• Like 3

We do have the majority of the players it is just poor coaching and tactics letting us down.

Watch any good team play and you will see they attack as a team and defend as a team.

By setting up the team to defend (which we havee numerous times this season and it has been our worst performances) you just invite the other team to attack more and more. A defence cant hold out for 90 minutes and not concede when it is under constant pressure.

I would also like to point out that when we have been at our best is when we have had Nicky and kewell on. This is because they know how to control the midfield with their passing. Granted they both do have their downsides which I referred to above, but we atleast play more positively with them on the pitch.

Well, we didn't yesterday.

Anyway, can I just point out again that we have one pre-season for Aloisi to recruit the players he wanted, and had two preseasons and a season-and-a-half in which to get this shit sorted on the field. And we haven't got it right yet? Merrick is in his first season with Phoenix, but they comprehensively outplayed us in midfield last night. For much of the second half they were queuing up to have a shot. They moved forward and back as a unit and as a team.

In contrast, Kewell never got above a jog, Kalmar is too slow all the time, Murdocca is busy but unproductive, and we were a collection of individual players.

Edited by jw1739

Have you seen Western Sydney play at all? If that team doesnt set up to defend then no football team in history has ever set up to defend. They set up to defend and hit them on the counter with 3 or 4 players. Polenz joins the attack every now and then but in reality they have the deepest CMs in the league, a LB who does little going forward and a team that sits back defends and still wins games of football

We need to find ways to win and that is the best way of doing it atm. Kalmar is too slow to play in a midfield. Very overrated. Kewell doesnt defend well enough to play any role but a striker nowadays. Its where Victory played him. 

We need to defend as a team and attack with our best individual players. If we could attack and defend as a team to complete success we would be undefeated. Its a unrealistic aim at this point. I want to sort our defense out and let the creative players we have create with freedom and without having to worry about doing things they suck at, such as tracking back

My formation gives our best attacking players freedom and also protects our defense. Something that this squad was built to do. If it was built for anything different we would not have 3 defensive minded internationals out of 4 with us nor would we have spent the amount of money we have on brining Behich/Kisnorbo in ontop of that