Melbourne Football

Rob Wielaert

InMyHeart

Only time we've ever had a CB who controlled our defence and had them working as a unit was when Madaschi was in town. This bloke could do much the same as Zwaanswijk did at CCM by organizing a tight back 4 and making sure the midfielders were accountable.

Surely he has to be a far better signing than our last dutchman.

The way I'm reading the MHFC news release this is a one-year contract?

Yeah, I think that's what it is. Signing players is always a bit of a gamble, so I can understand Heart being a bit cautious about signing a 34 year old, as they are probably weary of bringing in another Marcel Meeuwis. Like Meeuwis, if he's no good we can get rid of him immediately. Although he could turn out to be another Germano, that is, a player we signed on a short deal then re-signed on a longer one. Hopefully with Wielaert he's worth re-signing, and given he age I reckon Heart would be able to re-sign him with minimal, if any, competition.

i'll be interested to see how Weilart goes - http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1155849/Wielaert-adds-to-Heart-strength

in comparison to Zwaanzijk, Wielart's pedigree doesnt seem as good - Zwaanzijk was regularly playing for a dutch club that was constantly pushing the top 4 spots.  Wielart has been playing in teams a lot more middle table (although that might be a lot more to do with the performance / quality of teammates in either instance.)

Wielart's played for PSV, Ajax and Twente, ain't exactly middle table.

Edited by Che
  • Like 2

i'll be interested to see how Weilart goes - http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1155849/Wielaert-adds-to-Heart-strength

in comparison to Zwaanzijk, Wielart's pedigree doesnt seem as good - Zwaanzijk was regularly playing for a dutch club that was constantly pushing the top 4 spots.  Wielart has been playing in teams a lot more middle table (although that might be a lot more to do with the performance / quality of teammates in either instance.)

Wielart's played for PSV, Ajak and Twente, ain't exactly middle table.

agreed and the time at Twente does stand him in good stead (and as per my post will be interested to see how goes) but considering he played only 30 times total between Ajax and PSV implies to me that you can't just look at the CV

Sorry lad, but while Zwaanswijk was regularly playing for a Dutch club that was 'pushing top 4', Wielaert was moving from the second best team in the country to the team that beat it  :D NAC Breda finished above 8th one time in all the seasons Zwaanswijk played there.

Edited by Tommykins
  • Like 2

Wielart's played for PSV, Ajak and Twente, ain't exactly middle table.

agreed and the time at Twente does stand him in good stead (and as per my post will be interested to see how goes) but considering he played only 30 times total between Ajax and PSV implies to me that you can't just look at the CV

in comparison to Zwaanzijk, Wielart's pedigree doesnt seem as good - Zwaanzijk was regularly playing for a dutch club that was constantly pushing the top 4 spots. Wielart has been playing in teams a lot more middle table (although that might be a lot more to do with the performance / quality of teammates in either instance.)

Sorry lad, but while Zwaanswijk was regularly playing for a Dutch club that was 'pushing top 4', Wielaert was moving from the second best team in the country to the team that beat it :D NAC Breda finished above 8th one time in all the seasons Zwaanswijk played there.

Point taken and agreed upon although if you do then take a look at Roda over the last seasons where Wielaert's been based and as a main stay of the first team, they have been progressively getting worse (they almost got relegated last term and is eerily similar to the 2006-09 years where one Marcel Meeuwis dominated the Roda midfield).

By all means, I am not trying to imply the guy is going to be horrible - in all honesty I think that some very postive signals are there.  Simply I'm not completely sold by his CV.  Although in hindsight, Zwaanzijk's wasn't that flash either :rolleyes:

I'd rather have someone who has already been at the club as captain, I'm not a fan of bringing someone into the team and giving them captaincy. No doubt he'll be a tremendous leader, but i'd much prefer the captaincy to go to Garcia if he re-signs or otherwise Gerhardt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or does he look like Michael J Fox..?

But less shakey

:droy:

Why does some fuckwit always have to make this never funny joke whenever Michael J Fox is mentioned?

Agreed,

However probably even less amusing is when someone makes a Ljubo comment on here...

Now get Ljubo to partner him.

• Like 3