Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

On 10/19/2016 at 8:30 PM, Tesla said:

Rofl, this is a thing?

Its fucken gold... it is a TV show trying to make living in Auckland look glamourous but ends up just showing you why so many Kiwis end up over here.

The only thing they pull off looking flash is showing the PPL's cars but then you just take into account how much cheaper European Cars are over compared to here (currently).

Melbourne Housewives is still better cos I know a few PPL who know the contestants (like my partner for one) and when you know the real deal about them they look even stupider on TV.

Edited by cadete

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 8:48 AM, kingofhearts said:

UOTIH: it's time to pull all funding for the wallabies

Let's be honest we're just never going to beat new Zealand, let's just let them have their rugby union, and we'll invest the money spent on the wallabies on other sports

We were better than NZ for two separate sustained periods of time in my life... its more a matter of redirecting funding.

And most unbiased Kiwis if they watched a Association of Public Schools game in Sydney would agree that we could easily be good enough to beat them again... but that is the problem that the ARU needs to establish a better Grassroots system that can work and co-exist with the Big Schools in Sydney/QLD .

The best way to do this is cut the number of Super Club sides and put that money into a proper Grassroots system... the reality is that in NSW more PPL prefer to watch their old school play than the Waratahs anyway (Not that they would be the side to go).

40 minutes ago, cadete said:

We were better than NZ for two separate sustained periods of time in my life... its more a matter of redirecting funding.

And most unbiased Kiwis if they watched a Association of Public Schools game in Sydney would agree that we could easily be good enough to beat them again... but that is the problem that the ARU needs to establish a better Grassroots system that can work and co-exist with the Big Schools in Sydney/QLD .

The best way to do this is cut the number of Super Club sides and put that money into a proper Grassroots system... the reality is that in NSW more PPL prefer to watch their old school play than the Waratahs anyway (Not that they would be the side to go).

Having played age grade rep rugby in both NZ and Aus there was a world of difference. Dunno what it is like now but Aus as a long way to go

12 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Having played age grade rep rugby in both NZ and Aus there was a world of difference. Dunno what it is like now but Aus as a long way to go

But I am sure you would concede that if the boys coming through APS Rugby were managed with a better grassroots system we could be far more than competitive and lose less of them to League. Then there is also the other factor that if we returned to a better level of competitiveness on the world stage that we would have more Islanders nominating to play for Australia like in the 2000s rather than them all choosing NZ.

And FWIW I think its hard for Australian's to get enthused about the game at the moment, the game should have adopted rule changes in regards to points allocated for penalty kicks to match its transition from a largely Semi Pro/Amatuer game to a Professional Megasport in the mid 90s.

In 2000 I would have had an argument with anyone who dared to say League was better than Union but as it stands the kicking game in Union due to the points system has ruined the sport for me. It literally means watching Riverview is more enjoyable than watching the Wallabies, Waratahs... most Sydneysiders would agree.

Then alongside this we have the world's best League players in our country actually going out to score tries and not playing for penalties... so its natural for PPL and in particular children to be more enthused about League over Union.

On 24/08/2016 at 0:23 PM, Tesla said:

UOTYH: While everyone knows math is the most boring thing imaginable in a theoretical/educational setting, real life applications of math to solve problems / figure things out is actually interesting AF.

I did something today that I've done for a whIle but it reminded me of this post so had to dig it up lol. It's not even that relevant because it's entirely theoretical but anyway:

When I'm really bored and there's no access to the internet (eg. during flights, at work and run out of data) I convert figures between random number systems to pass the time/for fun. basic one being: 3962 (base 10), F7A (base 16), 111101111010 (base 2).

Edited by Jimmy

32 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I did something today that I've done for a whIle but it reminded me of this post so had to dig it up lol. It's not even that relevant because it's entirely theoretical but anyway:

When I'm really bored and there's no access to the internet (eg. during flights, at work and run out of data) I convert figures between random number systems to pass the time/for fun. basic one being: 3962 (base 10), F7A (base 16), 111101111010 (base 2).

You should have been a brogrammer.

UOTYH: Kicking a bloke out of the group chat because he mentioned having a big win on the punt is possibly the most Unaustralian thing I've witnessed in my life. This country is literally built on the punt, apart from Melbourne and Sydney, Australia is just a bunch of country towns whose survival relies on punting. From Northam to Ballarat to Launceston to Brisbane to Kalgoorie it's all just punting economics keeping it all going.

To make matters worse, half the blokes in the group chat claim to be of Irish decent. Didn't their ancestors fight the Battle of Leopardstown against England over the right to punt? (okay I made that up but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true).

#MakeTheGroupChatGreatAgain

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

UOTYH: Kicking a bloke out of the group chat because he mentioned having a big win on the punt is possibly the most Unaustralian thing I've witnessed in my life. This country is literally built on the punt, apart from Melbourne and Sydney, Australia is just a bunch of country towns whose survival relies on punting. From Northam to Ballarat to Launceston to Brisbane to Kalgoorie it's all just punting economics keeping it all going.

To make matters worse, half the blokes in the group chat claim to be of Irish decent. Didn't their ancestors fight the Battle of Leopardstown against England over the right to punt? (okay I made that up but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true).

was tomby fwiw.

On 11/17/2016 at 6:45 AM, Tesla said:

1. The first part of the Irish Australian Tradition of Punting is not being a Figjam and constantly bragging about your wins... nobody wants to hear that shit.

2. More importantly if you to learn the Irish Australian Tradition of Punting then you need to learn that you cant brag about winning kind of sum of money that you bragged about to your mates. You therefore owe to shout your mates to a fucken bender.

So for example hypothetically you won 8k in one day and bragged about it to all your mates (hypothetically this is ;) ) you could then put 1k aside leaving you with 7k and 87.5% of your winnings in your own pocket. Then with that 1k you could buy at the least three caps for 24 of your mates and the one you would need for yourself.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tesla said:

It really isn't for 90% of Aussies that go there that are mugs and get conned into overpaying for everything.

And even if you dont fall into that category, it's still not that cheap. 

Depends what your comparing the costs to. If you compare accommodation & food  to say St Albans it's probably more expensive but if you compare to Gold Coast or Surfers then it's definitely cheaper. 

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

That's different to the opinions I've heard from those that have been there. 

It's cheaper for alcohol and cigarettes, but where isnt compared to Australia? In fact imported alcohol isnt that much cheaper, and you probably dont want the local stuff.

It's cheaper to go and eat out. I only ever ate at the better places (cause I didnt want food poisoning) and yeah the prices were okay. But since I love my meat, it wasn't that great, we complain about Australian prices but when it comes to meat we have cheap beef etc since we produce it, so even though labor and the overheads of running a restaurant are cheaper, if your ordering a steak or whatever the fact meat costs more there means your steak isnt much cheaper than a restaurant here. Only place I reckon I will get to eat cheap meat at restaurants is USA (soon).

Its cheap AF to hire a driver to drive you around every day, no complaints here (but they make money from suggesting you go to tourist traps and collecting a commission, so again it relies on you not being a mug who falls for that).

Activities / tourist destinations are pretty reasonable compared to other tourist places, but there actually isn't much and theyre not that great anyway, so meh..

Accommodation is pretty cheap for a tourist place.

And it's cheap if you want to buy counterfeit items and cheap crap.

But there are plenty of other places that are cheap compared to Australia around the world, with more to do than eat and shop, that dont smell like sewers, and that you're not at risk of getting stitched up on some BS charges.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Depends what your comparing the costs to. If you compare accommodation & food  to say St Albans it's probably more expensive but if you compare to Gold Coast or Surfers then it's definitely cheaper. 

I agree with your thinking, if you want to go somewhere cheap, it should be somewhere that isn't much of a tourist destination. Eg if you went to another part of indonesia it would be a fraction of the cost of Bali. Tourist destinations have inflated prices. Plenty of places around the world that are cheap if that's what your looking for.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

It's cheaper for alcohol and cigarettes, but where isnt compared to Australia? In fact imported alcohol isnt that much cheaper, and you probably dont want the local stuff.

It's cheaper to go and eat out. I only ever ate at the better places (cause I didnt want food poisoning) and yeah the prices were okay. But since I love my meat, it wasn't that great, we complain about Australian prices but when it comes to meat we have cheap beef etc since we produce it, so even though labor and the overheads of running a restaurant are cheaper, if your ordering a steak or whatever the fact meat costs more there means your steak isnt much cheaper than a restaurant here. Only place I reckon I will get to eat cheap meat at restaurants is USA (soon).

Its cheap AF to hire a driver to drive you around every day, no complaints here (but they make money from suggesting you go to tourist traps and collecting a commission, so again it relies on you not being a mug who falls for that).

Activities / tourist destinations are pretty reasonable compared to other tourist places, but there actually isn't much and theyre not that great anyway, so meh..

Accommodation is pretty cheap for a tourist place.

And it's cheap if you want to buy counterfeit items and cheap crap.

But there are plenty of other places that are cheap compared to Australia around the world, with more to do than eat and shop, that dont smell like sewers, and that you're not at risk of getting stitched up on some BS charges.

I also hear a number of people compare Bali to the Gold Coast. In terms of travelling cost comparisons. I think a lot of their arguments are they can go overseas to Bali for cheaper than the Good Coast for example. Might be the mentality that their dollar can take them further for less.

Personally I'd rather not be a cheap cunt and fork out the extra cash for better food etc. and go to South America or Europe but each to their own. 

Edited by n i k o

Just now, n i k o said:

I also hear a number of people compare Bali to the Gold Coast. In terms of travelling cost comparisons. I think a lot of their arguments are they can go overseas to Bali for cheaper than the Good Coast for example. Personally I'd rather fork out the extra cash and go to South America or Europe but each to their own. 

GC vs Bali, been to both, would rather pay more for GC.

I'm not saying I had a bad time or anything in Bali, it was good, but it's incredibly overrated in Australia.

On 11/25/2016 at 1:13 PM, Tesla said:

I'm not saying I had a bad time or anything in Bali, it was good, but it's incredibly overrated in Australia.

GC vs Bali - The Holiday Destination Battle of The Titans.

I honestly would prefer to spend my money that either Trip would cost on just one Massive Weekend in Melbourne where I would not have to go to the Airport and be able to sleep in my own bed.

On 25/11/2016 at 1:13 PM, Tesla said:

Tbh spend the extra 2ish (or less) grand and head over to Fiji. Beaches are the absolute best in the world and the people are lovely.

Only downside is you can't get pharma-grade steroids for cheap

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, strider said:

Tbh spend the extra 2ish (or less) grand and head over to Fiji. Beaches are the absolute best in the world and the people are lovely.

Only downside is you can't get pharma-grade steroids for cheap

Just came back from Fiji a couple of months ago, would 100% recommend to anyone, amazing place

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

The world would be a safer place if the US (and us) had worked with Saddam rather than invading. 

He might have been a brutal dictator but he kept a whole lot of psychopaths in line.

I sincerely hope that this will end any appetite for military intervention anywhere unless there is a direct and immediate threat of invasion. What got me the most this year was when Ariel Sharon, the former israeli PM, died and the news came out that he had called President Bush many times to warn him of what would happen if he invaded Iraq. And as yet, the local media has not asked whether the Israeli government tried to persuade the Australian government not to participate.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I sincerely hope that this will end any appetite for military intervention anywhere unless there is a direct and immediate threat of invasion. What got me the most this year was when Ariel Sharon, the former israeli PM, died and the news came out that he had called President Bush many times to warn him of what would happen if he invaded Iraq. And as yet, the local media has not asked whether the Israeli government tried to persuade the Australian government not to participate.  

Even at the time it seemed a dubious approach at best. Our move was all about showing the seppos we were in everything together with them. Very strategic and on that front at least it seems to have paid off. 

I don't know much about the intelligence world, but as best as I can figure out one mob that does is Israel. Madness to ignore them when they talk about their region.

For years I've wished that we had foreign policies that were formulated independently. Come to that, all our homeland policies as well. March to the beat of our own drum rather than someone else's. At least that way we know that when things go wrong then it's our own fault.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

For years I've wished that we had foreign policies that were formulated independently. Come to that, all our homeland policies as well. March to the beat of our own drum rather than someone else's. At least that way we know that when things go wrong then it's our own fault.

I wish we'd just pull a Switzerland and just tell everyone we're cool with them

20 hours ago, Tesla said:

What am I reading?

I dont give a fuck who the US wrongly invades, they're our mates and we're gonna ride or die.

Pull your heads in.

Hold on, I don't care if our government sucks US dick in order to keep us as allies. But as a people we can criticise them as much as we want for causing more problems than solving.