Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

As I've said a heap of times down the pub, all my mates ask me how we're going during the season and even catch a few games on the foxtel at home but when I invite them in the get involved they'd rather spend their money going to sweaty arse night clubs full of dropped meat pies... Baffles me it does.

Though to be fair I was one of them folks till TC dragged me out to the derby, one win later and I was hooked.

Edited by Boffins
  • Like 2

I've wondered whether having Heart home games on FTA is actually going to work to our disadvantage?

Maybe at first, but the amount of exposure we'll get will be fantastic in the long term.

I'm still convinced there are a lot of people who aren't even aware that we exist.

As I've said a heap of times down the pub, all my mates ask me how we're going during the season and even catch a few games on the foxtel at home but when I invite them in the get involved they'd rather spend their money going to sweaty arse night clubs full of dropped meat pies... Baffles me it does.

Though to be fair I was one of them folks till TC dragged me out to the derby, one win later and I was hooked.

lets face it you still prefer sweaty nightclubs and dropped meat pies though ;)

lets face it you still prefer sweaty nightclubs and dropped meat pies though ;)

You know me I'm only keen for sweaty meat pies now

• Like 1

memberships are at 3087 as i post (11 am Aug 8th).

i'm a little suprised and a bit more disappointed that the club hasn't gotten more members.  early on the numbers looked good and like we were going to eclipse last year.

still early days and the members number counts for more at the start of the season (since there will be greater hype closer to then and sometimes the numbers will be largely affected by timing issues - aka when people get off their arse and actually sign up) but i am worried that we are

(a) around 200 short for last year's first marker

(b.) only about a week from that marker

makes me wonder where the hell these supporters have gone and when / where the club is going to start its push

There are so many factors, I'll give you an example. Come next week, say we're still 200 behind last season's total...technically, we could actually be ahead of last season despite being behind. Bare with me hear, take for example, player signings. Last year, our international players were (preseason) gray, Fred, germano, Gerhardt aaaand the ditch. I don't remember, but perhaps by this stage next week last year, we had already signed our international players whereas this time we still are yet to sign two...meaning there are two definite spikes in memberships yet to come. Just an idea. Also, I reckon there are heaps of Garcia fanboys waiting to see if he resigns or not

agree Deluka, sometimes it just comes down to timing issues (of when players are re-signed or brought to the club like you mentioned) - something which was part of my original post.

what worries me is that even with the timing issues and other factors the club would surely have incremental targets as part of increasing last season's memberships numbers - just just a hope / big target to reach come round 1.  frankly the only real push the club has made is towards pre-existing members.  maybe there is a different sight and sound in Melbourne (after all i am a country boy so maybe they have different strategies). but if the focus has been pre-existing members, one would hope that more pre-existing members have signed up by now.

it kinda feels like the club has a bit of wait and hope strategy with it.

It's very hard to increase memberships off a season where the club finished equal last. And in reply to the other post, it's not that there's Garcia fanboys. The thing is, it's hard to build a case that there's much to look forward to when we're coming from second last and we can't even keep our best player from last year - one of our few recent success stories. Why would a borderline member be in a rush to sign up? Kewell will be a really good pick up I think to attract spectators and hopefully members, but otherwise, there's not much to sell the club with at this stage other than a plea to 'believe'.

totally agree, the club has shot itself in the foot through poor past performance.

one question that does remain for me is "what has (or is) the club done (or is doing) to put itself out there?

maybe its a bit different in Melbourne, but from where I am (Ballarat) i see bugger all.  I'm hoping its a isolated thing, but thinking back to when Kewell trained with the club for the first time publicly, there was next to no publicly - not even an SBS or free to air station there to film as a bit of a promotional piece.  for me, that raises questions about how Heart promote their product.

don't get me wrong here though either; they actually need a product to promote.  poor past performances make that difficult.  

i suppose i am mostly just venting that the club doesnt (or hasnt from where I'm sitting) push to get the brand out there, and as such it leaves it to (seemingly) the same hardcore members signing up to be a part of the club.

Edited by mattyh001

3442 as at 10 am Aug 11.

Seems that i may have ranted a little too soon.  although it is interesting as a side point to see what happens when the club comes out with a very positive step (ie the signing of Engelaar).

it makes me wonder if i rant more often ........  :ph34r:

This was posted a few pages back.

These were our membership numbers last season

3,300 August 16th
3,650 August 30th
4,000 September 12th
4,750 October 4th (day before round 1)

So we've beaten last year's timeframe to get to 3,300 so now I'm hoping we'll hit 4000 by August 30th; two weeks earlier than last year.

If we hit 5,000 members by Round 1, I'm thinking with 5 game and 3 game memberships we'll crack 7,500.

Hopefully if we have a ripper of a start to the season (and actually win a couple of away games) we might actually get close to 10,000 come January; especially with casual fans wanting to come and watch the big games against Victory and ADP FC and WSW who we're all hosting twice at home  ;)