Melbourne Football

Iain Ramsay

Tesla

He was not a threat! A threat is someone who can actually have a chance of scoring...he proved on Sunday that he does not have any chance of scoring even in front of an open goal.

Other than that his positioning I thought was wrong a lot of the time too. He is just not up to A-League standard at least not up the standard which warrants a starting spot and as the Heart/City builds a better team with better players, Ramsay's shortfalls are becoming more evident by each game. This team is improving, but he's holding us back big-time and we won't be winning a championship with Ramsay in the squad.

• Like 1

Look, I honestly don't rate Ramsay at all ( and totally agree about his annoying stepovers, lack of vision etc etc)- but, having seen the lack of quality of a number of players in our team (and questioning how they ever became professional footballers) and the chances that Williams has missed over the past few seasons , I think some of the way-too-harsh stuff being said on here about Ramsay is over the top. I still think as far as his possible level of play goes- Sunday was one of his better games, despite the miss.

Look, I honestly don't rate Ramsay at all ( and totally agree about his annoying stepovers, lack of vision etc etc)- but, having seen the lack of quality of a number of players in our team (and questioning how they ever became professional footballers) and the chances that Williams has missed over the past few seasons , I think some of the way-too-harsh stuff being said on here about Ramsay is over the top. I still think as far as his possible level of play goes- Sunday was one of his better games, despite the miss.

I actually disagree. The fact that during other games he hasn't got into scoring positions or positions he can assist a goal has almost hidden these shortfalls he has as a footballer. He would have been better off not getting into these positions on Sunday because now 'everyone' can see how poor he is. So I would say for him this game was one of his worst, and I wouldn't doubt he would feel the same. Williams proved why he is useful with the run he made where he gave Ramsey the assist he missed. Williams also scored 12 goals last season yet Ramsey hasn't even got close. Many are hard on Williams but it's becasue he could dominate this league if he made use of his opportunities. Ramsey unfortunately isn't on the same level as Williams.

He was not a threat! A threat is someone who can actually have a chance of scoring...he proved on Sunday that he does not have any chance of scoring even in front of an open goal.

Other than that his positioning I thought was wrong a lot of the time too. He is just not up to A-League standard at least not up the standard which warrants a starting spot and as the Heart/City builds a better team with better players, Ramsay's shortfalls are becoming more evident by each game. This team is improving, but he's holding us back big-time and we won't be winning a championship with Ramsay in the squad.

He was a threat ... 

to Melbourne City and the sanity of the supporters

• Like 2

I actually disagree. The fact that during other games he hasn't got into scoring positions or positions he can assist a goal has almost hidden these shortfalls he has as a footballer. He would have been better off not getting into these positions on Sunday because now 'everyone' can see how poor he is. So I would say for him this game was one of his worst, and I wouldn't doubt he would feel the same. Williams proved why he is useful with the run he made where he gave Ramsey the assist he missed. Williams also scored 12 goals last season yet Ramsey hasn't even got close. Many are hard on Williams but it's becasue he could dominate this league if he made use of his opportunities. Ramsey unfortunately isn't on the same level as Williams.

To be fair to Ramsay though, David Williams only scored 1 goal in his 1st season at the club as well (Williams couldn't even break into the team that often, with him playing only a bit more than half of the season). Yes Ramsay did play a lot more minutes, but Williams was in a much better team that even made the finals, whereas Ramsay played his 1st season at the club in a horrible team that finished dead last and seemed to have some deep-seated cultural and mentality problems.

And in Williams' second season he only scored 5 goals. Ramsay actually scored the same amount of goals at Adelaide in the season before he joined us, and he scored those goals in less minutes than Williams (Ramsay scored 5 over 1716 minutes in 2012/13, whereas Williams scored his 5 over 1811 minutes in 2012/13). 

So if Ramsay was to have a breakout season next season, and get lots of goals or assists or whatever (comparable with Williams last season), then they'd be pretty much the same: taking till their 3rd season to justify a spot at the club. Of course, the club shouldn't be waiting til a player's 3rd season to see if he can perform, but that's what happened with Williams, and IMO too many players at this club only kept their spots due to promise and not regular performance.

Oh and David Williams was one of the club's marquees as well, whereas Ramsay clearly isn't.

I'm not saying at all that Ramsay is playing well or anything like that. Rather that Ramsay, like Williams, are some of the many flaky forwards that the club has had over its seasons. And this club, especially since it plays attacking football with 3 up front, could really use some reliable and performing forwards, the likes of which this club has never really seen before. 

To be fair to Ramsay though, David Williams only scored 1 goal in his 1st season at the club as well (Williams couldn't even break into the team that often, with him playing only a bit more than half of the season). Yes Ramsay did play a lot more minutes, but Williams was in a much better team that even made the finals, whereas Ramsay played his 1st season at the club in a horrible team that finished dead last and seemed to have some deep-seated cultural and mentality problems.

And in Williams' second season he only scored 5 goals. Ramsay actually scored the same amount of goals at Adelaide in the season before he joined us, and he scored those goals in less minutes than Williams (Ramsay scored 5 over 1716 minutes in 2012/13, whereas Williams scored his 5 over 1811 minutes in 2012/13). 

So if Ramsay was to have a breakout season next season, and get lots of goals or assists or whatever (comparable with Williams last season), then they'd be pretty much the same: taking till their 3rd season to justify a spot at the club. Of course, the club shouldn't be waiting til a player's 3rd season to see if he can perform, but that's what happened with Williams, and IMO too many players at this club only kept their spots due to promise and not regular performance.

Oh and David Williams was one of the club's marquees as well, whereas Ramsay clearly isn't.

I'm not saying at all that Ramsay is playing well or anything like that. Rather that Ramsay, like Williams, are some of the many flaky forwards that the club has had over its seasons. And this club, especially since it plays attacking football with 3 up front, could really use some reliable and performing forwards, the likes of which this club has never really seen before.

For me this is an issue of looking for and emphasising the worst points of one player versus the best points of other players. You can always find the club whipping boy that way. We did it last season with Michael Mifsud, and we're doing it this season with Iain Ramsay.

IMO Murfy is quite right. Iain Ramsay is just one of a number of under-performing forwards that we have had over our entire existence.

I can't see a third season for Ramsay at City; he would have to improve massively in the remainder of the season for anyone to entertain a contract extension. With smart recruiting in the off season we could have a spare LB (assuming Clisby makes the role his own) and Garruccio on the LW. Perhaps a better environment may suit his development.

This is getting ridiculous.. He missed 1.5 sitters, but the rest of the game he was actually okay. I don't rate him AT ALL but on Sunday- despite the misses- he was at least a threat. It's not his fault with his level of ability, that our club pays him for it and plays him... so give it a rest.

... the rest of the game he was actuallu okay..."

If you call running into dead ends, dwelling on the ball, poor and slow decision making and losing possession by "tackling himself"  being okay, then yes, Ramsay was "okay."

As for Ramsay being "at least a threat" to the opposition - well, he's not really a "threat" because we saw what he again produced, such as missing sitters. No "threat" at all to the opposition.

If anything he's a "threat" to us - what does this do to players choosing what should be the best option if all players were equally skilled such as passing to Ramsay, team cohesion, team morale etc?  

Hoping for Brown/Mate to get back soon and force him out of the team.

Ability aside (which he hasn't got a lot of), his confidence looks absolutely destroyed.

brown recently had surgery so he's still out for a bit and mate will be back in about 2 i think

Why haven't we brought in an injury replacement for Brown if he has had to have surgery? Very strange decision.

Hoping for Brown/Mate to get back soon and force him out of the team.

Ability aside (which he hasn't got a lot of), his confidence looks absolutely destroyed.

brown recently had surgery so he's still out for a bit and mate will be back in about 2 i think

Why haven't we brought in an injury replacement for Brown if he has had to have surgery? Very strange decision.

not a major operation, won't be out much longer than mate i don't think

Like I said, this guy is the luckiest cunt ever; only injuries have kept him in the line-up and finally he gets relegated to the bench after some truly embarrassing performances, but only to get called up 9 minutes in to replace Duff; another fucking injury!

Duff, Garuccio, Dugandzic, Brown, even Germano would normally play before this guy but they all keep getting injured!!

Ramsay was so shit again - it's embarrassing. 

The biggest joke was the New Zealand commentators suggesting a better play was to pass to Ramsay who would then have an open goal.

I feel pretty sure some of the players just refuse to pass to him because they reckon he'll find a way to lose the ball or totally stuff up.

It also seems to me whenever there's an opposition player anywhere near Ramsay, he loses the ball. Like he might try to go past the player who says, "Thank you" and promptly tackles the ball off Ramsay. 

Question: Does Ramsay lose the ball more than any other player in the A League?

While Victory have players like Connor Pain, who would walk into our team and be one of our better players, hardly getting a look in.

We should arrange a swap with Victory.

Connor Pain for Ramsay.

Victory scored a quality goal against Sydney FC involving precise passing and movement from their players up front.

I look at that goal and think how it's impossible for us to score a goal like that with Ramsay anywhere near the 18 yards box - failing to control a pass etc. etc. etc. etc.

While Victory have players like Connor Pain, who would walk into our team and be one of our better players, hardly getting a look in.

Connor Pain for Ramsay.

Victory scored a quality goal against Sydney FC involving precise passing and movement from their players up front.

I look at that goal and think how it's impossible for us to score a goal like that with Ramsay anywhere near the 18 yards box - failing to control a pass etc. etc. etc. etc.

Since our wingers are terrible especially now Duff is out,we really need to change our formation and play more narrow. Therefore Kennedy can lay the ball off like he did well against the Nix to players like Mooy Koren and Melling who all have a decent shot. If only JVS could change Edited by haz

Connor Pain for Ramsay.

I look at that goal and think how it's impossible for us to score a goal like that with Ramsay anywhere near the 18 yards box - failing to control a pass etc. etc. etc. etc.

If you think connor pain is any good, you got rocks in your head, ya fucking parrot
  • Like 2