Melbourne Football

Re-Sign Garcia

MARKMILES

Drawn from the Davutovic article, "Munn hoped that announcements regarding its training facilities and new signings would be made soon".

Take from that what you will, but perhaps we're close to terms with Garcia? I have a feeling that we'll be announcing the signing of Murdocca alongside the re-signing of Garcia. If we don't re-sign Garcia, off season will begin to look very bleak and will feel a lot longer than it actually is.

If Garcia does move on it isn't the end of the world, we have Mate coming back in who can play on the wing or as our #10, both positions where Richie played this season. Although he was more withdrawn in midfield than a natural #10, probably due to the fact he had to go find the ball due to teammates inability to pass it to him.

Jason Culina is still on the market and was quality in the centre of the park for Sydney, if we can't have Richie he'd be a quality alternative.

Drawn from the Davutovic article, "Munn hoped that announcements regarding its training facilities and new signings would be made soon".

Take from that what you will, but perhaps we're close to terms with Garcia? I have a feeling that we'll be announcing the signing of Murdocca alongside the re-signing of Garcia. If we don't re-sign Garcia, off season will begin to look very bleak and will feel a lot longer than it actually is.

I think that's a reasonable interpretation. I would be surprised if we have already agreed to terms with some players in Europe just yet, so that means that those imminent signings would presumably have to be with Australian based players.

I also agree with mus-28. Garcia played much of last season as a right winger, and given that Dugandzic will be fit for next season we won't need Garcia where he has traditionally played (on the wing). We could only use Garcia as a central midfielder next season, where I think he can be pretty good, but not great.

Edited by Murfy1

If Garcia does move on it isn't the end of the world, we have Mate coming back in who can play on the wing or as our #10, both positions where Richie played this season. Although he was more withdrawn in midfield than a natural #10, probably due to the fact he had to go find the ball due to teammates inability to pass it to him.

Jason Culina is still on the market and was quality in the centre of the park for Sydney, if we can't have Richie he'd be a quality alternative.

I'd take Culina. He was dominating in Sydney after a successful comeback from injury so I reckon he'd dominate for us too!

I'd take Culina. He was dominating in Sydney after a successful comeback from injury so I reckon he'd dominate for us too!

He would have to pass a physical from the King of Awesomeness of course...

• Like 1

He was doing well at the same time as he was actively complaining that none of his team mates kicked the ball to him!

Despite popular demand, I would like to see Garcia stay on the right, linking with J.Walker (as they did so well this season) and then play M. Dugandzic as our attacking No. 10.

Would like to keep RG on the right aswell, however I would continue to play Kalmar as our attacking midfield. Duga can play on the left..

• Like 1

as people have mentioned, with dugandzic coming back into the squad, Garcia isn't necessarily needed to play on the wing. Especially with the signing of Ramsay as well. So it isn't a 'do or die' signing

But, i'm very excited by the potential different starting lineups and different formations that Garcia's signing will give us.

I'd be more interested in who JA intends to play in the centre, what their role is and the style, formation and tactics he wants to use. Then the question of whether/how Richard Garcia fits into the team will be clear. Watching teams in La Liga during my trip in January gave me an idea of what he had in mind but I didn't see any of that at all in our play last season.

Fuck him off now. If he was 'commited' to the club, he would've signed as soon as the offer was tabled to him. Who wants a player who is not committed to playing here??

First of all, as far as we know, the deal could be done and the club just haven't released it yet.

Also, contracts aren't just about football. Richie has a family to look after and he has to get a contract that is what's best for his family, not what's best for the club. There are bigger things than football.

Fuck him off now. If he was 'commited' to the club, he would've signed as soon as the offer was tabled to him. Who wants a player who is not committed to playing here??

He has said that he wants to play here but remember that this might be his last big deal. You can't blame him for wanting the best deal for himself and his family.

• Like 1

Fuck him off now. If he was 'commited' to the club, he would've signed as soon as the offer was tabled to him. Who wants a player who is not committed to playing here??

He has said that he wants to play here but remember that this might be his last big deal. You can't blame him for wanting the best deal for himself and his family.

I understand bel but its not as if he is weighing up a move overseas or getting an offer from overseas rather. Outside of us and Perth no one else has shown intrest in him. He's had weeks to weigh up the offer anyway, would just be nice for our supposed next captain to show his commitment to the club just like mate did and hurry the fuck up and sign with us

All those waiting for Mate to come back and rip it up need to remember that players that have been out for a long time don't always perform as well when they come back from injury.

I am a fan of Mate and I hope to see him back to his best, but we need a squad of players who can do the job at first team level. Richard Garcia fits the bill.

It is probably more a case of that he wants to make sure the club are as committed as he is, we had a very dismal season, he may want to play in a competitive team and may be seeking assurances from the club as to how they are going to address the issues surrounding our performance.

Not everything is black and white and just because he hasn't signed on does not at all mean that he is not committed to playing for us.

• Like 1

Richie said on twitter a day or two ago, in response to whether he was staying in OZ or looking OS, that he was 'looking everywhere'. Also mentioned he had options. I don't expect he'd be too open on twitter with what he's doing, but clearly he is keeping his options open and is prepared to look elsewhere. I'd personally prefer him to stay, he took most honours last season and we're not really in a position for our best player to bail out. Still, only want him if he is committed to us.

Edited by Jake

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or does Heart seem to only want players that will play for less than they are worth?

If Richard Garcia has played for Heart, even if his motives were personal, for less than he should have been entitled, and if he wants to stay on for a true reflection of what a player of his calibre is worth, then surely the club should pay the man his dues.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1152452/Garcia-pondering-Heart-bypass

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

Is it just me, or does Heart seem to only want players that will play for less than they are worth?

If Richard Garcia has played for Heart, even if his motives were personal, for less than he should have been entitled, and if he wants to stay on for a true reflection of what a player of his calibre is worth, then surely the club should pay the man his dues.

he'd started 8 games in his last year at hull and came to us with injury concerns.  hardly demanded a big salary.

i think we paid him what he was worth, else he wouldn't have signed for us.

now that he's proven himself, we should be rewarding him with more money.

• Like 4

Bearing in mind that no-one else is bursting a boiler to get him, maybe he's over-playing his hand and asking too much. Yes, he was our best player, but the best player in a team that escaped the wooden spoon by one goal.

IMO we should give him a final offer and leave it at that. Plenty more fish in the sea.

Not sure the numbers in the article are right. At this stage my arithmetic shows we have 15 signed players for next season. Excluding Garcia and Hoffman.

• Like 1

Leave the negotiations to those with the inside info. Garcia is upping his worth by talking about outside interest and JD/Munn don't want to pay over the odds. Not uncommon and if he leaves I'm sure we can get Maycon back as an adequate replacement :huh:

We cleared out all that space what are we waiting for?

Maybe Richie's askin for a decent increase & a contract 3 or more years? Which could be an issue, as with Colosimo Bolton by their third year they were hardly best 11 yet some of, if not the highest earners.

he'd started 8 games in his last year at hull and came to us with injury concerns.  hardly demanded a big salary.

i think we paid him what he was worth, else he wouldn't have signed for us.

now that he's proven himself, we should be rewarding him with more money.

Pretty much agree with all of NuggetsMcGreggor's post. Given Garcia's age, injuries and playing history, we got his contract right last season.

I can't help but think as well that if we were paying our players significantly more that a number of people would be complaining that we paid our players too much, and that we weren't business savvy. That was said about Grella, until we learned the club signed him on next to no money.

It has been reported that we have offered Garcia more money, and now he still wants a "substantial rise" in his pay. The article even states that his hometown club Perth Glory, which has a fair bit of money, couldn't negotiate an enticing contract with him. That we have progressed further with negotiations than Perth Glory for Garcia suggests that Heart is putting forward a respectable deal (Garcia himself even says that "I know John Didulica (Heart's football operations manager) is doing all he can to come to an agreement and we are certainly getting closer").

The fact is, if it becomes a bidding war between us and an Asian club, then our odds are bad. I remember hearing that Brendan Hamill receives roughly five times at his K-League club what he got at Heart. Heart would have to really break the bank to outbid an Asian club, and Garcia IMO isn't worth that much. He wouldn't play as a RW next season (as Dugandzic will), and he is already 31. Why sign Garcia, who at best has another 2-3 good seasons in him, when we could sign another Gerhardt, who could provide 4,5 or 6 quality seasons?

I hope we see Garcia back in central midfield next season, but he only starred in a team that finished second last last season. He is not irreplaceable.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

While Garcia isn't irreplaceable, he'd be a fine choice as an attacking central midfielder, he could go wide should the situation require too.

Are we likely to pick up a better option overseas?

Obviously this has to be weighed up against contract demands, the club can't be held to ransom.

What's the desire to have him play in the midfield when 1) we are looking at foreign AMs and DMs? 2) we have Dugandzic to come back in a potential midfield role? 3) he is a winger, and played as a winger in England? 4) JA and HF have both mentioned that he prefers to play on the wing?

Seems a bit of a square peg - round hole scenario, which many people critise the Club for doing regularly.