Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Player announcement tomorrow. Probably McGrath.

Source?

It's going around on Twitter. 'A-League US' tweeted: 

Melbourne Heart are making a player announcement Tuesday morning. No name listed in the press release.

Could well be McGrath. I recall his trial was due to finish at the end of last week, and then Heart were meant to decide whether or not they'd offer him a contract.

Herd would be very welcome as well IMO.

Lol disagree.

Watched him many times for Villa when he was playing regularly, before his constant injuries, and he was very solid at DM.

Lol?? Wtf??

Which part do yo disagree with? That he's no good on the ball?

Misread your post. Thought you said he was "not that good at all".

My apologies.

But I certainly think he's good enough on the ball to smash the A-League.

Melbourne Heart signs international defender

September 10 2013 Michael Lynch

Melbourne Heart has moved to bolster its defensive stocks by signing former Australian international defender Patrick Kisnorbo on a one-year deal.

The ex Socceroo has spent the past 10 years playing mostly in the Scottish Premier League or the English Championship, the bulk of the time at clubs like Hearts, Leicester and Leeds United.

The tall and rangy Kisnorbo can play at either right back or in the middle of defence. Strong in the air and courageous, Kisnorbo is a tough tackling no-nonsense player who will bring some bite to a Heart rearguard that all too often looked vulnerable on the road last season, when it failed to win a single away game.

The 32-year-old began his career with South Melbourne in the old National Soccer League before moving to Scotland with Hearts, for whom he played in the country's top flight and in the UEFA Cup.

Kisnorbo played for Australia in the 2002 and 2004 Oceania Nations Cups as well as in the 2007 Asian Cup. He was a regular member of Socceroo squads under Pim Verbeek and looked to be a good chance to win selection for the 2010 World Cup. But a serious injury – a ruptured Achilles tendon – ruled him out of contention and he was never able to break back in to national team contention on a regular basis after that.

Over the years Kisnorbo has suffered a series of unlucky injuries, but Heart officials are confident he will stand up to the rigours of an A-League season.

With Orlando Engelaar out for much of the campaign with a broken leg, the arrival of Kisnorbo will give Heart coach John Aloisi the option of moving Patrick Gerhardt, who was signed as a defensive midfielder, into that hole created by the Dutchman's injury. Gerhardt spent last season as a centre back but his versatility makes him the obvious candidate to move into the centre of the park.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-signs-international-defender-20130909-2tgez.html

Edited by Murfy1

After a decade in Britain, defender Patrick Kisnorbo is in talks with Melbourne Heart over a possible return to his hometown club.

The former Socceroos stopper – who has 18 caps for his country – has attracted the interest of coach John Aloisi and at 32 believes he can still make a significant contribution to the A-League after a career in the UK which has seen him play for Heart of Midlothian, Leicester City, Leeds United and Ipswich Town (on loan).

He was released by Leeds, for whom he made just 49 appearances in four injury-hit years - at the end of last season and has been hunting for a new club.

A certainty for Australia’s 2010 World Cup squad in South Africa before being cruelly cut down by a ruptured Achilles tendon, former South Melbourne man Kisnorbo has spent a large chunk of the past few seasons in rehab after also suffering a serious knee injury while at Leicester.

But he has fought his way back, with Heart CEO Scott Munn confirming on Monday night ahead of an expected official player announcement by the club on Tuesday: “Patrick is someone we have been talking to and he is certainly due back in the country if he is not already back.

“He’s one of the central defenders we’ve been in discussions with. As soon as we lost Orlando Engelaar with his broken leg (on debut for the club) we stepped up the chase for a defender and a striker. We have two foreign spots available and we will see what happens.

“We are only at 19 players right now.”

If Kisnorbo signs, Munn believes the braveheart stopper – known for his buccaneering style and fearless commitment - could be a considerable asset to the club.

“He’s only turned 32 and he has a lot of strong aspects to his game. We have spoken to a few different players and it has been changing by the hour but he is certainly in the mix,” Munn said.

Beast of a player, but he's yet another injury prone player who we've signed.

...seriously, if you go to his wiki page and do a ctrl-f4 search for 'injury', it comes up 22 times... god I hope he can stay fit.

You might have better luck with Ctrl+F  ;)

Ahahahaha, that's what I meant! I'm not having a good day  :P

Beast of a player, but he's yet another injury prone player who we've signed.

...seriously, if you go to his wiki page and do a ctrl-f4 search for 'injury', it comes up 22 times... god I hope he can stay fit.

tbf, he did get a gash on his head on his debut game at leeds, got stitches and went back out there http://sport.news.am/static/images/injuries/PatrickKisnorbo.jpg.

So that must take the 22 down a bit plus it shows he's a hard c*nt :)

19 players???

Yeah, I don't know where Munn gets 19 from. I count 21, with us being able to sign 2 players (to reach the maximum of 23 players), and an injury replacement player.

I wouldn't mind if he's right, though, we could use some more spots.

Was reading somewhere about being able to have 2 or 3 u21 players on full time contracts but not counted in 23 man squad if you already met your underage quota.

I'd imagine it was what the Visitards done last season with Geria, Galloway & Makarounis and we would simply move Garuccio or Mauk to the Youth team list.

Edited by mus-28