Melbourne Football

JVS - The coach from the land of chronic

Heart Fanatic

Whoaaa, decent length deal. 

I'm pretty happy with this, JVS is a great manager and will no doubt build the team up to be a lot stronger with the resources/job security he'll now have.

This pretty much confirms the departures of Mifsud, Walker, Mitchinson and Vrankovic, wouldn't be surprised to see Gerhardt go either.

BREAKING | John van’t Schip has been reappointed as Head Coach of Melbourne Heart FC after agreeing to a new three year contract through to the end of the 2016-17 season.

LONG LIVE JVS

Source please?

Heart facebook and: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/John-vant-Schip-Reappointed-Head-Coach/88512

Brian Marwood, Managing Director of the City Football Academy, who has worked closely with van’t Schip since the acquisition of the Club in January 2014, also welcomed the appointment.

“John is a very experienced coach,” Marwood said. “He has a clear philosophy of how the game should be played and it is one which dovetails well with what we are seeking to implement at Manchester City.”

Edited by strider

I would have been surprised if there had been anyone else appointed to the position. Not only does he know Melbourne and the League but he's also a direct philosophical and personal link to Cruyff and the tradition at MCFC. I expect a lift in performance from the team this weekend as the players are now clear who they will be dealing with.

Brilliant.

Who knows what this guy is capable of with now seemingly unlimited resource.

Only issue is: he is very friendly with a lot of players, players of which need to be cut loose. Hope this doesn't affect our impending off season cull.

gervais-729-620x349.jpg

Edited by marteaux

Cue the butthurt from all the JVS haters :lawl: :lawl: :lawl:

Looks like we gotta put up with 3 more seasons of beautiful clean football and great results :up:

Forza football purism :up: :up: :up:

I am fine with this appointment as long as we do get results - which I agree ATM with a solid list look likely under JVS.

The good thing is that I doubt our new management will be so hesitant to sack a coach be it JVS or whoever if we are not performing.

• Like 3

Still some doubts over him, but he certainly appears to fit the City criteria almost perfectly.  My main concern is that he hasn't shown an ability to get the team playing out from the back in a way that Brisbane, Victory and Adelaide have shown is possible in this league.  Will be interesting to see how he goes with a bigger budget, and he deserves the opportunity.

Looks like we gotta put up with 3 more seasons of beautiful clean football and great results :up:

I am fine with this appointment as long as we do get results - which I agree ATM with a solid list look likely under JVS.

The good thing is that I doubt our new management will be so hesitant to sack a coach be it JVS or whoever if we are not performing.

He's certainly going to be judged on results from now on, rather than potential etc. I liked the endorsements on the video - especially that from Soriano - and picked up that JvS will be spending time in Manchester with Kreis and Pelligrini. I like that.

Rudolfo Borrell last week, and now JvS. So the first domino falls. All eyes from now on who goes and who we will sign. We have to have a better squad to realise City's ambitions for us - no ifs or buts about that. 

He's certainly going to be judged on results from now on, rather than potential etc. I liked the endorsements on the video - especially that from Soriano - and picked up that JvS will be spending time in Manchester with Kreis and Pelligrini. I like that.

Rudolfo Borrell last week, and now JvS. So the first domino falls. All eyes from now on who goes and who we will sign. We have to have a better squad to realise City's ambitions for us - no ifs or buts about that. 

found it also a little curious that they mentioned city alot and city group and being apart of the city group and no mention of heart. Apart from JVS 

So I'm guessing more dutch players for next season?

- Mifsud < Dutch striker

- Steven Grays Visa Spot (?) < Dutch Player

- Orlando Engelaar

- Weilaart

-If Orlando fits under the cap --> Dutch Marquee?

THE RETURN OF WORM??? :wormy:

Not necessarily. The club management structure is not public so we have no idea how much autonomy the local club will have over player recruiting. I can't imagine that any good coach will accept a position if they have no control over recruiting, however he is very likely to be presented with a higher quality list of potential signings, particularly the visa spots. If that list is all Dutch, it'll be because they are best options to deliver the team style and tactics.

Scott Munn looked like he was reading his lines from an auto cue

Edited by belaguttman

found it also a little curious that they mentioned city alot and city group and being apart of the city group and no mention of heart. Apart from JVS 

Yeah, I just checked the video again. Some of the quotes attributed to the various people are not actually on the video. Perhaps there was some additional stuff that's been edited out?

Great news. We have the best Manager in the A League signed up on a long term deal and JVS will become even better!

"With Manchester City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and football academy managing director Brian Marwood watching closely, van’t Schip is understood to have impressed City with his footballing philosophies that have been shaped largely in his time in his native Holland — both with the national team as a player and coach as well as at Dutch powerhouse Ajax.

Sorrano said van’t Schip would soon spend time in Manchester at the club’s new football academy with its English Premier League coach Manuel Pellegrini and New York City’s Jason Kreis to help “develop the kind of football we want our teams to play”.

At http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-heart-reward-coach-john-vant-schip-for-club-revival-with-longterm-deal/story-e6frf4gl-1226859193692

• Like 1

Inb4 this is a tactical manoeuvre from City Group to try and win the supporter base over. Signing a guy who has been here from the start, to make the supporters feel we still have the 'Melbourne Heart' link.

Then they change the name, colours and logo.  :ph34r: 

Will be happily proven wrong.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just checked the video again. Some of the quotes attributed to the various people are not actually on the video. Perhaps there was some additional stuff that's been edited out?

I think its innocent after watching it again, both Munn and JVS say heart whilst the city people say city group most likely because they are so used to saying it and in there eyes we are in a group with NYCFC and MCFC.

Oh should mention looking forward to the next three years of Schip Happens too! :up:

Inb4 this is a tactical manoeuvre from City Group to try and win the supporter base over. Signing a guy who has been here from the start, to make the supporters feel we still have the 'Melbourne Heart' link.

Then they change the name, colours and logo. :ph34r:

Will be happily proven wrong.

Some people are far too paranoid. Relax chaps.

• Like 1

Melbourne Heart reward coach John Van’t Schip for club revival with long-term deal

Matt Windley

March 19, 2014

JOHN van’t Schip has been appointed as Melbourne Heart coach for the next three years.

In the first major step of the Manchester City revolution, the club’s new owners have seen fit to retain the man who has turned the team from basket case to finals contender in a matter of months.

It’s also fitting that the 50-year-old, so prevalent in the establishment of Heart in its initial guise for the 2010-11 A-league season, will also be the first coach in the club’s bold new era.

With Manchester City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and football academy managing director Brian Marwood watching closely, van’t Schip is understood to have impressed City with his footballing philosophies that have been shaped largely in his time in his native Holland — both with the national team as a player and coach as well as at Dutch powerhouse Ajax.

Sorrano said van’t Schip would soon spend time in Manchester at the club’s new football academy with its English Premier League coach Manuel Pellegrini and New York City’s Jason Kreis to help “develop the kind of football we want our teams to play”.

“We know the way he wants to play football, the way he understands football, is very similar to our other coaches and is very similar to the philosophy we want to implement in the whole City family,” Sorrano said.

“So I am sure that he will continue to deliver good football and good results in Australia, but also (will) build together with our other coaches and other technical staff everywhere in the world excellent, beautiful football, the kind of football we want to play at City.”

Today’s revelation is just the first in what will be a string of major announcements made by the club about its future.

A raft of players remain out of contract at season’s end, but several re-signings could be announced in the coming weeks.

It’s widely accepted that a name change to Melbourne City is inevitable, but the issue surrounding the club’s colours remains clouded.

Training facilities and youth academies are also in the pipeline after Manchester City bought the club for about $11.25 million in January.

“I’m very excited to be re-appointed,” van’t Schip said.

“Being here from the start four years ago, coming back and now to be a part of this new and exciting period is something I look forward to.

“The people of the City group, I’ve already had some good talks with them. But for the remainder of this season it’s important to stay focused and finish in a good way.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-reward-coach-john-vant-schip-for-club-revival-with-longterm-deal/story-fnk6pqha-1226859193692

Edited by Murfy1

Another positive about this appointment is that the players now have completely no excuses not to perform over the remaining 4 weeks. Before, the players might have figured that JVS would have been sacked and they might have been kept for next season (because the owners wouldn't have been sure how they'd play under what would have been a different coach for next season). I'm thinking that things might have been a bit similar to when the players were under Aloisi, where they knew the coach was going to get sacked and they could possibly escape blame and remain at the club.

Now every single player knows they have to prove that they can play well under the coach who will be coaching Heart next season, and if they don't play well over the remaining rounds then they will probably be released at the end of the season.

I can see our little 'ol club being pacesetters in football matters off the pitch and hopefully on the pitch. JVS going over to spend time at MCFC HQ is just the start. Whereas SFC went to Italy last year and our players spent time in Moorabbin and ice filled wheelie bins, we can now expect our team to go over to the UK in the off season to have practice games and hang out in English bars and pubs. What player wouldn't want to join the new HeartFC????

The club management structure is not public so we have no idea how much autonomy the local club will have over player recruiting. I can't imagine that any good coach will accept a position if they have no control over recruiting, however he is very likely to be presented with a higher quality list of potential signings, particularly the visa spots. If that list is all Dutch, it'll be because they are best options to deliver the team style and tactics.

I can't imagine that Heart will be given any less independence that City or NYCFC. From what I know of City's recruitment process, and from the comments coming out of Jason Kreis (NYCFC Head Coach) I think what will happen is JVS will be given access to a load of scouting reports (hundreds of them at least) and will have the ability to request that City's scouts scout players for him also, and then he'll be asked to make a series of recommendations to the board, of priority targets and backups, who the board will then attempt to sign for him. Most likely he will also get to spend a fair amount of time discussing how players will fit into the wage cap, too, which is something which obviously doesn't need to happen in Manchester. He'll also be invited to personally take a look at our youth players with a view to loaning some, although given the visa restrictions I doubt he'll be going for more than one or two a season. I can't really see it working any other way. There'd be no reason for giving Kreis so much influence over transfers and then tying JVS' hands and insisting on running the Melbourne show from Manchester.

hinting name change is going ahead?

rewind a few seconds to get the hist 

Honestly, to me that sounds more like the phrasing of a man who has become so used to saying "City" that he now uses it more often than is necessary. I think he was referring to the whole City "Group" rather than Heart specifically.

That said, it seems likely that they are pursuing a name change, so I won't deny it's possible. I just think that he was talking about all the clubs here, not just Heart.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

I really wish they would've at least tried to find a better coach, just seems like a cop out to me in signing JVS.

I would've liked JVS to be a plan B if we couldn't find a better coach, but this just means he'll have more scrutiny on him next season than ever before.

Nothing but immediate success or the boot in the first 10 rounds.

I really wish they would've at least tried to find a better coach, just seems like a cop out to me in signing JVS.

I would've liked JVS to be a plan B if we couldn't find a better coach, but this just means he'll have more scrutiny on him next season than ever before.

Nothing but immediate success or the boot in the first 10 rounds.

Perhaps you could make a post in Unpopular Opinions Thread

A very good appointment IMO

From what I have seen of him wants to play football the right way and fits in nicely with our philosophy.

Of course you guys have seen more of him, especially the first time around, but I just feel it is a good move.

Also, I don't think we would sign someone just to get the fans onside.

He has obviously convinced Marwood & Soriano with his football knowledge.

The first piece of the jigsaw has just been put in place.

• Like 1