Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

On Totti, it should be said that we are talking about a once in a generation player, like Lampard, like Steven Gerrard, like Xavi. So I have no doubt that he'd be a hit if we were to snare him. I think he'd be very much like Sydney signing ADP, although I'm sure Totti would be better, and would be more effective given our team and given that we're not Sydney FC (who despite being a big club aren't run too impressively).

Also, compare Totti's last season and ADP's last season prior to joining Sydney. Across all competitions ADP only played 900 minutes, and he only started in 9 games (with 5 of those starts being in cup competitions). Whereas last season Totti played over 1800 minutes, and started 22 game (starting 20 times in the league, playing over 4 times as many league minutes as ADP did before joining Sydney).

And Juventus decided not to offer ADP a contract extension, whereas Roma thought Totti was still up for playing top level football for the next 2 years, and at the end of last year they offered him a contract extension for the next 2 seasons.

So if we managed to pull off the coup of signing Totti, I have very little doubt that a player of his once in a generation class and quality would have no trouble starring in the A-League, and he certainly wouldn't be a 'waste' of a marquee spot.

I'm purely talking about Australia though, we got lucky with ADP, however the likeliness of more of ADP caliber playing in the a league is quite small purely because while we play in summer and have nice country to visit we are still so far from everything  

I disagree and think that ADP was a breakthrough, and we'll steadily see an increase of more top class footballers coming to Australia and playing in the A-League over the next several years.

World class players are now moving to places like China and Qatar more commonly, so I don't think there's anything wrong with Australia's conditions or location.

And I think Man City with Melbourne City will play a significant part in speeding up the process of attracting star footballers to Australia and the A-League. I don't know who we'll sign, and maybe we won't sign a 'very big' name for next season, but I'm sure we'll have some impressive marquees next season, and City will play their part in speeding up the trend of football stars coming to Australia. 

BTW, I'm not talking about several star players joining the A-League every season, just a few top players joining the A-League every season or two.

With the league and the overall situation of football in Australia constantly getting better, and more money slowly entering the A-League (and not least CFG's money), I'm rather firmly of the opinion that the marquee spots will be more properly used in coming years, with actual top players taking up marquee spots (if not Broichs or Engelaars, then the ocassional ADP), and that situation will become the new normal, and it'll be funny to look back and reflect on the players that were previously signed as 'marquees'. 

I don't know whether I've commented on this before, but I reckon Lampard is rather unlikely. His partner (fiancee) Christine Bleakley doesn't want to move away from the U.K., and I doubt she would approve of a move to Melbourne whereas she might tolerate New York.

Although I had originally thought we might tie up our two marquees fairly quickly, IMO it looks as though we are going to have to wait awhile before we see any action.

I don't know whether I've commented on this before, but I reckon Lampard is rather unlikely. His partner (fiancee) Christine Bleakley doesn't want to move away from the U.K., and I doubt she would approve of a move to Melbourne whereas she might tolerate New York.

Although I had originally thought we might tie up our two marquees fairly quickly, IMO it looks as though we are going to have to wait awhile before we see any action.

or they are signed up but still have world cup commitments haha "tell him his dreamin"

Edited by drewmelbcity

The word in the U.K press have been that Lampard was willing to take on Melbourne but had to decline for family reasons.
But I got no doubts about CFG talking to lots of players and their representatives in regards to Melbourne and New York at the moment.

The word in the U.K press have been that Lampard was willing to take on Melbourne but had to decline for family reasons.

But I got no doubts about CFG talking to lots of players and their representatives in regards to Melbourne and New York at the moment.

Yep, his fiancee is a TV presenter and doesn't want to sacrifice her own career for his. Apparently she's more willing to agree to NYC because at least you can fly between Manchester and NYC on a more frequent basis. There's also the issue that Lampard has two kids with an estranged partner who has custody, so the further he moves, the less often he gets to see his own kids.

But I got no doubts about CFG talking to lots of players and their representatives in regards to Melbourne and New York at the moment.

Yep, his fiancee is a TV presenter and doesn't want to sacrifice her own career for his. Apparently she's more willing to agree to NYC because at least you can fly between Manchester and NYC on a more frequent basis. There's also the issue that Lampard has two kids with an estranged partner who has custody, so the further he moves, the less often he gets to see his own kids.

Easily solved. ;)

Get his fiancé a gig with Channel 7 or 9 as TV presenter. That would give her resume some more expansion and make sure she is adding to her career rather than stopping it.

His kids is a different story. How often does he see his kids now? Fly them over for holidays now and again and if his estranged wife has an issue she can come over and stay at Crown during these periods.

But I got no doubts about CFG talking to lots of players and their representatives in regards to Melbourne and New York at the moment.

Easily solved. ;)

Get his fiancé a gig with Channel 7 or 9 as TV presenter. That would give her resume some more expansion and make sure she is adding to her career rather than stopping it.

His kids is a different story. How often does he see his kids now? Fly them over for holidays now and again and if his estranged wife has an issue she can come over and stay at Crown during these periods.

Haha. Something like that. She's currently in contention to take over the female presenter slot on This Morning, which has won the Best Daytime TV award pretty much every single year since 1998, so I'd guess at the moment she'd need something big to turn her head ;)

As for the kids, I understand he sees them really quite often. Once a fortnight, perhaps?

Personally I'm all for just building that massive lift through the centre of the earth, as seen on the Total Recall remake.

Bryan Ruiz could be the type of marquee city are after, he's 28, played well in the epl and would piss off all the greeks.  :up:

IIRC the official EPL summer transfer window opens tomorrow and lasts until 31st August. I still think it's possible that in terms of an international marquee we could be in for a surprise. Clubs have already been active in the transfer market, meaning that some of their lesser players will be seeking to move elsewhere to get regular football. I don't think we are really limited to free transfer 30+ players...more it's a matter of how much CFG are prepared to pay to get the "right" player for us going forward. Hope so, anyway!

I have come to the conclusion that anyone who still wants Samaras as our Aussie marquee after that performance is Greek.

Yeah lets compare WC level to the A-league ffs 

Well I would have thought a marquee player is someone with enough quality to at least create something against a 10-man Costa Rica with half of their players looking like they were about to die.

I can't help it if you have no ambition but personally I don't really want Georgios "MIA" Samaras fluffing around the field for us.

I have come to the conclusion that anyone who still wants Samaras as our Aussie marquee after that performance is Greek.

after?

I came to this conclusion BEFORE the world cup started.

Now I'd never heard of the bloke, which I'm happy to admit doesn't mean a lot, but the only person on here that seemed willing to discuss his past performances at a challenging level (and that "only" SPL) was cadete, who didn't exactly sing his praises and made it clear he'd seen a lot of his games.  I guess his fans rate him, but perhaps they assumed we knew all about him - which I certainly didn't.

Might still be a decent player, but I would only like a proven Australian International in the role of Australian Marquee.   

The name 'Samaras' means nothing to the greater Australian public, unless they're football followers or Greek. Josh Kennedy is one of the most recognisable Australian players to the public if nothing else. Kennedy > Samaras. I don't base that solely on the above, I don't rate Samaras as a player either, would waste either marquee spot. 

• Like 1

Something that strikes me as peculiar is that traditionally, we principally aim to recruit foreign players who fall within the Dutch mentality. So when we suggest Greek, Italian and to some extent, South Americans, it's almost like our structure doesn't want these players. 

It will be interesting to see how Duff and Villa will go in a Dutch structure. And even more interesting to see who else is on the recruit list.

Something that strikes me as peculiar is that traditionally, we principally aim to recruit foreign players who fall within the Dutch mentality. So when we suggest Greek, Italian and to some extent, South Americans, it's almost like our structure doesn't want these players.

It will be interesting to see how Duff and Villa will go in a Dutch structure. And even more interesting to see who else is on the recruit list.

Seeing as Villa mastered the Barcelona Style of play I think he can manage what JVS throws him... Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

Agreed. You would think that with 36 scouts out there we could come up with a more exciting player than a bloke from Groningen.

What I'm pretty interested to see is who the club signs with the Visa spot that won't be used on our international marquee.

The club has already signed 1 Visa player, Damien Duff, a player who was in the EPL last season, who has a solid pedigree and might well have been an international marquee if he was signed by another A-League club.

So it looks like the bar is being set fairly high for salary cap Visa signings. I reckon if the club signed either Nick van der Velden from Groningen or Ryan Koolwijk from NEC, then that player would be a Visa player inside the cap, despite the fact that either player might well have been an international marquee if we tried to sign them pre-takeover.

I also think it might explain why the club is trialling so many young players (and a player who wouldn't cost much like Billy Konstantinidis), as if we sign a young player or two, then that would free up some more space under the salary cap, allowing the club to sign a good Visa player under the salary cap, an Australian marquee and a international marquee with the remaining spots in our 23 player squad. 

Quality salary cap Visa players could be one of the most valuable football changes that we see because of the new ownership. Hopefully future Visa player signings continue to impress.       

Edited by Murfy1