Melbourne Football

Represent the Heart.

Mentor

So many people seem to have forgotten about the early part of wsw's season. The crowd participation and pride in the club was not that great. In fact at times people expressed their concern it would become a problem. It was not until they started winning that non active supporters started getting involved.

The pre match entertainment is not going to make a difference unless we start giving (the majority) of non active supporters what they came for. Exciting football with results. Keep So Happy Together as the song and when we start winning I can almost guarantee those outside of the YS will feel very differently about it.

So many people seem to have forgotten about the early part of wsw's season. The crowd participation and pride in the club was not that great. In fact at times people expressed their concern it would become a problem. It was not until they started winning that non active supporters started getting involved.

The pre match entertainment is not going to make a difference unless we start giving (the majority) of non active supporters what they came for. Exciting football with results. Keep So Happy Together as the song and when we start winning I can almost guarantee those outside of the YS will feel very differently about it.

You're right; it's not the song, it's the coach!!

I'll elaborate, if we had a good/better coach we would play better, more attractive football, which is not only more entertaining (people would actually pay to watch), but also mean we'd win a couple of away games! When we start winning more, the fans would get a sense of confidence and more of them would come to the stadium for our home games. The more confidence and the more supporters, the more people will be happy singing So Happy Together together :up:

Oh yeah, turn the bloody PA. down and you're talking into a microphone, you don't need to YELL!!!!

The first time we had SHT was the best imo. The recording wasn't ridiculously loud, they didn't let it go for too long (I think it made the second chorus) and the best bit was Yarraside sang it really well for the first 5 minutes of the match after the recording finished, which was the best it sounded. 

If we can replicate that, that would be ideal IMO. Otherwise I would be happy to let yarraside sing it from when they deem fit, and I would like it to be sung for a good five minutes or so at the start of the match becuase it's the kind of song that can build momentum.

Also if we sing it without the recording, can we change the lyrics of the sky is blue line to "my heart will always beat true" or something like that so we can avoid another year of whining over a colour. 

• Like 2

... An expert from the FRG newsletter...

"The FRG also discussed pre-match and half-time entertainment. We were really supportive of the Club’s plans to improve the experience of fans out on the concourse, before they enter AAMI Park. We talked about digital interaction and engagement, music and incorporating food or merchandise stalls in that area. We also thought about using The Bench Café as a way of encouraging fans to congregate before the game. The FRG felt that any player appearances before the match would be hugely appreciated by fans, and would definitely increase excitement before kick-off.

Half-time entertainment is limited by time constraints – any activities held at this time need to be just 7-8 minutes in length. The FRG agreed that half-time entertainment should focus on just one or two activities, as well as using the screens to engage and interest fans.

Finally, the FRG spoke about the fact that SBS are increasing their coverage of A-League football this season, with televised Friday night matches and a new TV program on Thursday nights. This will hopefully mean that some Melburnians are watching A-League football for the first time – this is a fantastic opportunity to build Heart’s profile, and the FRG are hoping that SBS will provide great coverage of our many Friday night matches."

What do people think about activities, etc outside the stadium and inside the concourse before the game?

Also, 1/2 time?

...and Heart's profile on SBS?

Some foods and music would be great outside .

Regular football foods like chevapi, sausages, and other stuff.

Merch outlets outside.

1/2 time games are fun. Like a sumo wrestler football. The kids playing is always fun. Brings new people just to see their kids.

Crossbar challenges.

Throw-in distance challenges.

Goal kick challenges

Half-time. While I might personally prefer something different I don't see a lot wrong with it as it is. As Alexiano says, the kids playing is good for the growth of the game and must give them a bit of a thrill to play on AAMI Park, and the challenges are a bit of fun. Also like and admire the lads who do that freestyle ball juggling.

Although harping on an old theme...No. 1 thing for me is to get that guy off the microphone because IMO he ruins everything.

• Like 1

Half-time. While I might personally prefer something different I don't see a lot wrong with it as it is. As Alexiano says, the kids playing is good for the growth of the game and must give them a bit of a thrill to play on AAMI Park, and the challenges are a bit of fun. Also like and admire the lads who do that freestyle ball juggling.

Although harping on an old theme...No. 1 thing for me is to get that guy off the microphone because IMO he ruins everything.

I agree. I think half time is pretty good as it is. How many kids must of played on AAMI park during halftime by now? A thousand? A few thousand? It's actually a pretty good way to make the club engage with young football fans. Also, I don't think there's really any halftime entertainment that could meaningfully increase people's enthusiasm for attending Heart games. 

On activities outside the stadium, I've got a feeling there might be restriction on what can happen just outside the stadium, and in particular what goods and services can be sold outside the stadium. For example, I imagine that a limited amount of food could be sold outside the stadium for the sake of food providers inside the stadium. But I'm just guessing.

On Heart's profile on SBS. Great work by Heart to schedule so many Friday night games. I'm not sure Heart can do much more to make use of this increased profile, though. Apart from playing good football and winning, that is.

On activities outside the stadium, I've got a feeling there might be restriction on what can happen just outside the stadium, and in particular what goods and services can be sold outside the stadium. For example, I imagine that a limited amount of food could be sold outside the stadium for the sake of food providers inside the stadium. But I'm just guessing.

It would surprise me if FFA would allow competition on the stadium concourse.

I suspect that the concourse is part of the venue hired by FFA/MHFC. As such it will be deemed a"private place" for some defined period of time before, during and after the game.

As you would expect in the nanny state of Victoria, street trading in public places is regulated by the City of Melbourne, and isn't allowed outside a defined area of the CBD.

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/enterprisemelbourne/industries/hospitality/Documents/SeasonalStreetTradingPermitFactSheet.pdf

I would suggest that the FRG check up on all this before spending hours discussing something that might be impossible.

Political correctness and a nanny state mentality are killing everything in this country. Sorry, off-topic.

I suspect that the concourse is part of the venue hired by FFA/MHFC. As such it will be deemed a"private place" for some defined period of time before, during and after the game.

As you would expect in the nanny state of Victoria, street trading in public places is regulated by the City of Melbourne, and isn't allowed outside a defined area of the CBD.

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/enterprisemelbourne/industries/hospitality/Documents/SeasonalStreetTradingPermitFactSheet.pdf

I would suggest that the FRG check up on all this before spending hours discussing something that might be impossible.

Political correctness and a nanny state mentality are killing everything in this country. Sorry, off-topic.

I remember nearly getting into a fair bit of trouble for handing out Subway vouchers outside the stadium at Brisbane away a few years ago (long story)

What's the difference between the big food vans (selling Nandos, Sovalakis, General Fried foods, Ice Cream etc) parked outside the MCG for the AFL and Heart having a few food stands across the road in front of AAMI Park?

Edited by Jimmy

What's the difference between the big food vans (selling Nandos, Sovalakis, General Fried foods, Ice Cream etc) parked outside the MCG for the AFL and Heart having a few food stands across the road in front of AAMI Park?

Possibly none whatsoever.

It's probably City of Yarra isn't it? In which case City of Melbourne restrictions don't apply.

I'm just suggesting that before we possibly spend hours discussing the topic at the FRG that someone finds out.

Very true!

AAMI catering would most certainly have issue with food vendors outside the venue at home games.

Don't believe HEART would be keen to get involved in contractual issues at home ground.

Immature though it may be, does turning visitors merch in sports shops around the opposite way so that it is not visible, and covering their strip on a mannequin with one of ours, constitute representing the Heart?

Dont know but I have been doing the same to Rangers kits since I was a kid.

• Like 2