Melbourne Football

A-League News Thread

mus-28

Wow, Perth's back four looks very shaky now! 

It's not what you'd call a strong defence to begin with, but what happens when they get an injury? They need to sign someone, they should try and lure Neill back to Australia as apparently he has been dreadful lately. 

Vukovic

Risdon - Thwaite - Clisby - Jamieson

I though this shit only happens to us

There you go!

But this sort of incident just goes to show how unprofessional the A-League really is and how essential it is to take care of all the details in the management of your players.

I though this shit only happens to us

There you go!

But this sort of incident just goes to show how unprofessional the A-League really is and how essential it is to take care of all the details in the management of your players.

I think that's a bit unfair, it really was a freak accident. 

Arnold calls for the squad numbers cap to be removed. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-09/scrap-a-league-squad-limit-arnold/5012400?section=sport

This is an interesting para from the article: "Under the FFA's current limit clubs can sign up to 23 players but three must be under the age of 20, while a further three youth team players can be signed on the base salary but outside the 23 and salary cap."

Confess I wasn't aware of that provision.

You'd hazard a guess that would be Archibald, Schroen and Retre for us.

I agree that the squad restriction should be lifted, with the clubs obviously still under cup restrictions.

Not the first time it's been brought up either, JD was a big advocate for this change. 

If you go to the club web-site...

Paulo Retre is named, shows a no. 28 Heart shirt. The photo does not look like Retre to me and whoever it is is wearing a Victory shirt and the bio refers to someone called Nick who plays for Victory.

Ersin Kaya is shown as our no. 26 but the bio is that of Germano. And finally Luke O'Dea is shown as our 21 but in the photo is shown wearing an MV shirt.

Looks like a good stuff-up to me.

A-League getting alot of attention in media lately. I think they may have finally realised that it is gonna be huge so they might aswell jump on board and stop resisting it

True but it may have also been due to the fact the the league wised up and has given itself some clear air from the AFL and NRL seasons and before anything cricket related really starts for the summer.

After trade period for the AFL there are only so many pages of the Hun that can be devoted to AFL players getting on the gear and Fev going broke. That said, they still give it a fair shake in terms of covering the fuck out of nothing for 6 months. :up:

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 2

A-League getting alot of attention in media lately. I think they may have finally realised that it is gonna be huge so they might aswell jump on board and stop resisting it

2 different types of media reporting the game though

one wants it to grow

and one wants it to crash and burn

a shame that the latter is the one that gets the big headlines

Fantastic to welcome football back to FTA tv - well done FFA and SBS for making it happen

You can also stream the Friday night matches from TWG website:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1169877/A-League-opener-hit-by-injury-curse/

(refresh from 7.30pm for full stream)

Edited by Heart Inaugural

Well, I think we are better than these two sides. Jets in particular look woeful, uninspired.

Hows Andy Harper talking up Thompson's game when he is yet to hit a target! One close shot doesn't constitute a good performance!

Jets will win the spoon imo, Caravella's defending was cringe-worthy!

Aside from that pretty brilliant shot from Thommo, he has messed up so many easy passes. 

Pretty keen for Wello v Brisbane then Adelaide v Perth this afternoon

See if Hernandez still has it after spending 12 months eating Vindaloo, Brisbane have looked the part in pre-season and replaced Nicholls with Miller who's a far more effective player. Thinking Brisbane 3-1.

Interested to see this Adelaide team that have pretty big wraps on them since Gombau came in, in Carrusca they've got one of the best players in the competition, think they'll have too much for Perth 2-0.

Some of the leagues new boys looked good today. Sidnei and that other Spanish winger for Adelaide in particular.

Loved the way Adelaide played, think the only thing that will stop them winning the league is their defence.

Good to see one of my favourites Jeronimo pick up a brace.

Does anyone else watch other sides and wonder why we've been incapable of finding ourselves top players? I'm talking top 10 in the league. I couldn't name one player we've had since our inception that is of that quality.

Some of the leagues new boys looked good today. Sidnei and that other Spanish winger for Adelaide in particular.

Loved the way Adelaide played, think the only thing that will stop them winning the league is their defence.

Does anyone else watch other sides and wonder why we've been incapable of finding ourselves top players? I'm talking top 10 in the league. I couldn't name one player we've had since our inception that is of that quality.

Engelaar easily will be once he's fit again.

Kewell and Mifsud maybe if we're firing.

Engelaar easily will be once he's fit again.

Kewell and Mifsud maybe if we're firing.

Engelaar looks the goods on paper, obviously, but we haven't seen him play. Can't make that assumption. Kewell yeah, but I want someone who can give us a good few years of service, not a 35 year old who will probably give us one.

Probably the only player we've had close to that would be JA himself, in terms of reputation but outside of that, our other marquees in fred and sibon have been shit. Basically cause we've never wanted to spend money on getting ourself a top tier player would be my reasoning and, the fact that whenever we have had a player on the edge of becoming really good (good, eli ext) they've been picked up by an overseas team.

Probably the only player we've had close to that would be JA himself, in terms of reputation but outside of that, our other marquees in fred and sibon have been shit. Basically cause we've never wanted to spend money on getting ourself a top tier player would be my reasoning and, the fact that whenever we have had a player on the edge of becoming really good (good, eli ext) they've been picked up by an overseas team.

I don't think you need to spend big money to get top players. If you look at the leagues top players now, there's obviously Del Piero, Ono and Heskey, but blokes like Berisha, Broich, Milligan, Carrusca and Flores etc, all players fans love to go and see play, wouldn't have needed a massive pay packet to come out here.

In saying all this, going off his performance last night alone, Kisnorbo looks like he could be a top quality defender.

• Like 1

Great chat on ABC Grandstand about Australian football right now!

On em!

I'm so glad we don't have pr*cks like Jon Ralph, Greg Denham & Mark Robinson covering our game. Blokes with real evil agenda's.

We're lucky to have the likes of Craig Foster, Michael Lynch and even Davutovic as reporters.

Edited by Mstrkrft