Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

I haven't seen him play in Turkey, in saying that though he must have improved ten fold if he is cementing a spot over there. He was abysmal last year for us. Even at his best for us he was average defensively and offered no end product at the end of his trademark runs to the corner flag which more often than not ended in crosses into the stands. He definitely seemed to have gone backwards last year. Has there been a change in manager at his club or something? Being loaned back to the a-league after a move abroad has normally been the beginning of the end for most players.

I like the guy cos he wears his heart on his sleeve and was one of few players you sensed gave a shit about the club. I'd love to see him come good and be a regular for the NT but make no bones about the fact i doubt he will be able consistently play well enough to do so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Adrian Zahra and Alex Terra's team Valletta FC smashed Michael Mifsud's side Sliema Wanderers 5-0. Zahra and Terra both got braces, and Mifsud played the whole game for scoreless Sliema. Zahra was voted MOTM.

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2014-09-21/football/revitalised-valletta-exploit-sliemas-glaring-defensive-frailties-6672515072/#inscore_ifheight_xdc_3271

• Like 1

Adrian Zahra and Alex Terra's team Valletta FC smashed Michael Mifsud's side Sliema Wanderers 5-0. Zahra and Terra both got braces, and Mifsud played the whole game for scoreless Sliema. Zahra was voted MOTM.

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2014-09-21/football/revitalised-valletta-exploit-sliemas-glaring-defensive-frailties-6672515072/#inscore_ifheight_xdc_3271

Mifsud ended the game equaling Valletas score with 5 offsides of his own

• Like 4

Mifsud ended the game equaling Valletas score with 5 offsides of his ownthats a good game for mifsud too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Engelaar has officially signed with Eredivisie side FC Twente (a former club of his), for 1 year:

Orlando Engelaar signs contract

02-10-2014

The arrival of Orlando Engelaar has been completed. The 35-year-old midfielder trained past weeks along with the first selection and sign a contract until the end of this season. Engelaar is to play and can Sunday for the away match against AZ, be part of the selection.

Orlando Engelaar is his second time as a footballer in Enschede. Between 2006 and 2008, the midfielder also played in the red shirt, and he then came to 56 league games, scoring eight times. Engelaar grew in that period into Orange International. He made in the summer of 2008, the move to Schalke 04 and came from 2009, four seasons for PSV. Last year Engelaar played in the Australian competition for Melbourne Heart. In total Engelaar played so far 310 games in professional football and scored 48 times.

Orlando Engelaar "I think it's great to be back at FC Twente. I had an amazing time here and look forward to a new period. Past few weeks I have trained with the group and noticed that FC Twente has a very talented selection. I would like to make as many minutes, and with my experience of value to the young guys. In the past I've played with Alfred Schreuder. I'm not here because of my relationship with him, but because I have seen the training can be. "Value

Manager / Coach Alfred Schreuder: "Orlando is a type of player we really wanted to add to the selection and staff. Recent weeks, he has trained with us and made a good impression. Orlando knows very well what kind of value it can have for the team. With his experience, he can help the other guys very well. "

http://www.fctwente.nl/blog/2014/10/orlando-engelaar-tekent-contract/

That's actually awesome. As much as it pains me that we never saw a full season, what he gave us to me was what got me through last season. To sign a year contract at a main club is great for him at 35. It will be really interesting to see how much game time he gets and how much impact he has. Good luck to the big O.

• Like 1

Jeremy Walker started for Concord Rangers in their 3-2 win over Winchester City in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the F.A. Cup.

If he works hard, maintains form, doesn't get injured, and has luck on his side, in 5-10 years time he might reach the dizzying height of Conference Premier.

Is Eli Babalj alive?

Sure is.

Has played seven matches for AZ Under-21s scoring seven goals, and has been on the bench in the Eredivisie match squad twice in the past month.

Not spectacular, but he is very close to featuring in the Eredivisie.

Good to hear. Loved the man when he was with us. 

Again another player ange seriously needs to look at that we desperately need in the national squad. Without rogic there we have no one that's strong enough that can hold up the ball and bring in other players. I think he would do very well against the smaller asian teams.

Edited by n i k o

Babalj's brief appearance for the Socceroos was the most impressive display by a proper (not cahill) centre forward since a certain other Balkanite lead the socceroos attack. Should get another run, I don't care if he isn't playing for his club.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 5

Babalj is probably the only young Aussie player with the quality to be a genuine goal threat and good with his back to goal bringing others into play at international level for me.

I think Juric and a half crocked Kennedy will be the centre fowards Ange takes to the AC

Babalj is probably the only young Aussie player with the quality to be a genuine goal threat and good with his back to goal bringing others into play at international level for me.

I think Juric and a half crocked Kennedy will be the centre fowards Ange takes to the AC

Juric isn't a half bad player to be fair to him, and if Duke can get back to his best form which his game against the Jets indicates he might, I can see him getting a gig too. Still think Taggart's a great option for the future too but apparently he's had injury problems and looks to be behind the likes of Rodallega and McCormack at Fulham anyway, plus they've had a poor start to the season. 

Our strikers have been shit for some time though, thank god for Cahill to be honest. Hopefully Eli can crack into AZ's first XI and put his hand up for national team selection.

Juric isn't a half bad player to be fair to him, and if Duke can get back to his best form which his game against the Jets indicates he might, I can see him getting a gig too. Still think Taggart's a great option for the future too but apparently he's had injury problems and looks to be behind the likes of Rodallega and McCormack at Fulham anyway, plus they've had a poor start to the season. 

Our strikers have been shit for some time though, thank god for Cahill to be honest. Hopefully Eli can crack into AZ's first XI and put his hand up for national team selection.

I didn't think Duke actually did much in that game (apart from scoring the winning goal of course) he wasn't having much of an impact on the play.

This got me intrested where everyone is, so thought I'd make full list of every MHFC player. If any are wrong let me know

Clint Bolton - retired

Michael Marrone - Adelaide United (Australia)

Brendan Hamill - West Sydney Wanderers (Australia)

Simon Colosimo - retired

Michael Beauchamp - PTT Rayong (Thailand)

Matt Thompson - PTT Rayong (Thailand)

Rutger Worm - Achillies 29 (Netherlands)

Kristian Sarkies - Bulleen Lions

Gerald Sibon - retired

Wayne Srhoj - Mareeba (Queensland)

Alex Terra - Valletta (Malta)

Kamal Ibrahim - Port Melbourne Sharks

John Aloisi - retired

Aziz Behich - Bursaspor (Turkey)

Eli Babalj - AZ Alkmaar (Netherlands)

Josip Skoko - retired

Kliment Taseski - Hume City

Dean Heffernan - retired

Adrian Zahra - Valletta (Malta)

Fred - Philadelphia Union (USA)

Maycon - Goyang Hi FC (South Korea)

Curtis Good - Newcastle United (England)

Craig Goodwin - Adelaide United (Australia)

Nikola Roganovic - Green Gully

Patrick Gerhardt -

Dylan Macallister - Eastern Salon (Hong Kong)

Josip Tadic - Rijeka (Croatia)

Richard Garcia - Perth (Australia)

Golgol Merbrahtu - West Sydney Wanderers (Australia)

Marcel Meeuwis - FC Eindhoven (Netherlands)

David Vrankovic - Bonnyrigg White Eagles (NSW)

Steven Gray - Oakleigh

Jamie Coyne - Bayswater City (Western Australia)

Sam Mitchinson - Bayswater City (Western Australia)

Jeremy Walker - Concord Rangers (England)

Orlando Engelaar - Twente (Netherlands)

Harry Kewell - retired

Michael Mifsud - Sliema Wanderers (Malta)

Andrea Migliorini - Delta Porto Tolle (Italy)

• Like 2