Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

4 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

some would say when you start to win games where you should've lost, that's the sign of a champion 

The reality though is that we didn't play well and there's still some gap between the sides. The good thing is that now it isn't a player quality gap, its a coaching gap, an issue that can be addressed next season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

I checked up until Tuesday on foxtel and there was no replay on.

Wtf, was sure there'd be one today.

Also, as much as the second half was not our best (believe me I know we have work to do), we did have multiple good scoring chances we really should have taken. It wasn't all one way.

10 hours ago, Melbournehammer said:

How anyone could rate clisby over Sorensen amazes me. The only reason and I mean the only reason we won tonight was Sorensen.

Haven't read the whole thread. But Clisby was poor. He repeatedly missed the player he was looking for. There is no disguising it. But so is kisnorbo on the ball. A genuine liability. He seemed to be doing his best Colosimo interpretation for large parts of the game. Those two coupled with Erik doing his best to turn the ball over meant we were simply unable to retain possession aside from the 20 minutes when we grabbed two goals. Still at least they lost it going forwards. I remember a lot of games watching where it was lost when passing between colosimo Bolton and whoever was playing at the back with colosimo.

we were second best for the first ten minutes and for the 60 minutes after their goal. I'm not actually that upset about it because we won but I'd be rope able if we'd lost. Novillo was disappointing on the night, his two highlights being the tackle which led to the yellow card and his sloooooowwwww walk off. Mooy was his usual self, el tuna very good. Retre scored but was part of a well beaten midfield. Franjic was barely ok. 

Happy with the win. Lots of work still to be done but feeling better.

Are you serious? Were you even at the game? Clisby saved our bacon and did pretty well against Barbarouses!

Your judgement is clouded by some sort of passionate dislike for Clisby. Steal your rattle from the pram did he?

You should watch a replay and see what really happened in that game. Sorensen gifted them a goal, gifted them constantly possession by kicking it long allowing Victory to have high levels of possession instead of trying to play out of defence. This put our midfield and defence under constant pressure and had to sustain wave after wave of attacks. Our forwards should have buried the chances they had.

Kisnorbo covered well and I thought he ushered the defence quite well against a quality attack.

Mooy was not his usual self!!!'

He was man-marked and totally ineffectual compared to normal and lost possession on many occasions both by bein dispossessed or passing.Talk about Paartalu turning it over? His Passing Accuracy was 87% and kept Finkler quiet for most of the game as well as winning nearly every headed ball straight to one of our players. He might be a Qe2 as someone else has said but he makes up for it in other ways.

Franjic was solid and looked very dangerous when he went forward although that was few and far between unfortunately.

Hell we just beat the best team in the league and we did it by everyone trying their best but we still have haters in this forum.

You are entitled to your opinion and I my counter opinion. But plainly your analysis is poor.

Edited by Ray
Typo
  • Like 5

I also think that Clisby has improved enormously. He does lots of good things but the trouble is that when he is poorly positioned or slides in too early on a tackle without winning it, it then leaves the team dangerously exposed. He isn't a percentage player, its all or nothing. Football is always a game of trade-offs, gain one quality or ability and you sacrifice something somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

I also think that Clisby has improved enormously. He does lots of good things but the trouble is that when he is poorly positioned or slides in too early on a tackle without winning it, it then leaves the team dangerously exposed. He isn't a percentage player, its all or nothing. Football is always a game of trade-offs, gain one quality or ability and you sacrifice something somewhere else.

So true. Maybe with more games he may become a bit more pragmatic he is so much better in the last month his challenge is to continue.

1 hour ago, Portillo said:

If tando was there, victory would be celebrating today.

did you see his save in the FFA Cup?

1 minute ago, Ray said:

Are you serious? Were you even at the game? Clisby saved our bacon and did pretty well against Barbarouses!

Your judgement is clouded by some sort of passionate dislike for Clisby. Steal your rattle from the pram did he?

You should watch a replay and see what really happened in that game. Sorensen gifted them a goal, gifted them constantly possession by kicking it long allowing Victory to have high levels of possession instead of trying to play out of defence. This put our midfield and defence under constant pressure and had to sustain wave after wave of attacks. Our forwards should have buried the chances they had.

Kisnorbo covered well and I thought he ushered the defence quite well against a quality attack.

Mooy was not his usual self!!!'

He was man-marked and totally ineffectual compared to normal and lost possession on many occasions both by bein dispossessed or passing.Talk about Paartalu turning it over? His Passing Accuracy was 87% and kept Finkler quiet for most of the game as well as winning nearly every headed ball straight to one of our players. He might be a Qe2 as someone else has said but he makes up for it in other ways.

Franjic was solid and looked very dangerous when he went forward although that was few and far between unfortunately?

Hell we just beat the best team in the league and we did it by everyone trying their best but we still have haters in this forum.

You are entitled to your opinion and I my counter opinion. But plainly your analysis is poor.

Jesus f'en Christ

Mate, Clisby was playing CB alongside Paddy at CB. FYI he's the ginger. It was Garuccio playing against Barabarousis not Clisby.  It was Garuccio who skinnned Barabraousis, then faked the left foot cross and had Barabarousis slide over their goal line which opened the space for the perfect cross with his WRONG foot for the opening goal  Something you will not see from Clisby in his entire career.

Playing as a CB, Clisby had the responsibility of passing out to the midfielders, or to the wingers/ Garuccio WHICH HE RARELY completed.  That coupled with Paartalu taking an eternity to pass and then get robbed or not being quick enough to get their mids to make a tackle, and Mooy man marked, was why we weren't able to hold the ball.

Mooy was no where near the dominant player he has been, but such is his class, he made what he did do count.

Yes I'm glad we beat the "best team".  So did Wellington, Western Sydney and Perth, and more convincingly too. 

Here are the match Stats

Goals
Melbourne City FC            Melbourne Victory
2                   1
Total Shots (including blocked shots)
Melbourne City FC                Melbourne Victory
16   23
Shots On Target
Melbourne City FC              Melbourne Victory
4   13
Blocked Shots
Melbourne City FC                 Melbourne Victory
4   2
Shots from outside the box
Melbourne City FC                  Melbourne Victory
5   4
Shots from inside the box
Melbourne City FC               Melbourne Victory
11   19
Shot Accuracy (excluding blocked shots)
Melbourne City FC   Melbourne Victory
33.3%        61.9%
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/matchcentre/Melbourne-City-FC-v-Melbourne-Victory/811661#agMkjqoWW0VUBJCm.99

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

did you see his save in the FFA Cup?

Jesus f'en Christ

Mate, Clisby was playing CB alongside Paddy at CB. FYI he's the ginger. It was Garuccio playing against Barabarousis not Clisby.  It was Garuccio who skinnned Barabraousis, then faked the left foot cross and had Barabarousis slide over their goal line which opened the space for the perfect cross with his WRONG foot for the opening goal  Something you will not see from Clisby in his entire career.

Playing as a CB, Clisby had the responsibility of passing out to the midfielders, or to the wingers/ Garuccio WHICH HE RARELY completed.  That coupled with Paartalu taking an eternity to pass and then get robbed or not being quick enough to get their mids to make a tackle, and Mooy man marked, was why we weren't able to hold the ball.

Mooy was no where near the dominant player he has been, but such is his class, he made what he did do count.

Yes I'm glad we beat the "best team".  So did Wellington, Western Sydney and Perth, and more convincingly too. 

Here are the match Stats

Goals
Melbourne City FC            Melbourne Victory
2                   1
Total Shots (including blocked shots)
Melbourne City FC                Melbourne Victory
16   23
Shots On Target
Melbourne City FC              Melbourne Victory
4   13
Blocked Shots
Melbourne City FC                 Melbourne Victory
4   2
Shots from outside the box
Melbourne City FC                  Melbourne Victory
5   4
Shots from inside the box
Melbourne City FC               Melbourne Victory
11   19
Shot Accuracy (excluding blocked shots)
Melbourne City FC   Melbourne Victory
33.3%        61.9%
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/matchcentre/Melbourne-City-FC-v-Melbourne-Victory/811661#agMkjqoWW0VUBJCm.99

lol, why do you even watch football if you can't enjoy a win?

Just now, Nate said:

lol, why do you even watch football if you can't enjoy a win?

I enjoyed the win, I said so, but I'm not going losing my shit saying "We're gonna win the league", when its obvious that there are major issues with how we play and the players we have and we most certainly NOT win the league playing this way and with the tam we have. I don't care that we scrape a derby win. 

Put it this way: on 442 one of the tards put up 3 recent  trophy winning photo's of them.  And then a dressing room photo of our boys celebrating last nights win-CITY'S GRAND FINAL he called it. And hes right!  Its fucking sad.

Just some random stuff.

I presume everyone actually remembers we had at least 4 excellent chances to score in the 2nd half, 2 x Novillo, 1 Paartalu (hit the post) and 1 Williams?  I know they had a heap of chances but it wasn't like it was all one way traffic.  

I thought Mauk was fantastic until he was stuffed, which only took about 40 minutes.  Given he can only play about 55 minutes in good weather i guess it makes sense, but at the moment it is standing between him and a really good football career.  In that regard Williams made a huge difference when he came on and the game was more or less on level terms again at 11 vs 11.  Similar for Retre really, fantastic first half (superb positioning for one, always there for the pass), but just not there second half, heat took its toll and it was an astute sub to bring on Koren.  

Really it was a game of 2 halves for a lot of our players.  Garuccio was another one who was superb in the first half, but went to "adequate" in the 2nd.  That goal he set up was something else.  Can't wait to see my mate who says he can't play "because he doesn't have a right foot".  Mooy on the other hand was better in the second half.

A lot of comments about this guy can't pass or that guy can't pass.  Actually i think you are blaming the wrong person for that.  Passing was worse than a normal game for both teams and the person i blame is...........Taylor Swift.  The ground was clearly damaged from that concert.

So I wouldn't be too concerned about what "The Emperor" says about the game.  Clearly as he has lost 4 in a row with pretty much the same squad that won the Championship last year, and thus the dark side of the force will be welling up in places to consider whether it needs a new Sith Lord.  He is just trying to deflect the blame, like any good politician.

As for us we need to avoid a post-Christmas hangover this year and keep the momentum.    

33 minutes ago, Dylan said:

How did Hughes go

He came on at about 86 minutes for Novillo. 

Best I could figure out we went to 5-3-2 at that point (we hold what we have).  He went right to the middle and seemed to always be well positioned.  I can't recall seeing him touching the ball (but I was at our attacking end of the ground).  I do know though that the tards didn't score, so i figure he contributed alright.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I enjoyed the win, I said so, but I'm not going losing my shit saying "We're gonna win the league", when its obvious that there are major issues with how we play and the players we have and we most certainly NOT win the league playing this way and with the tam we have. I don't care that we scrape a derby win. 

Put it this way: on 442 one of the tards put up 3 recent  trophy winning photo's of them.  And then a dressing room photo of our boys celebrating last nights win-CITY'S GRAND FINAL he called it. And hes right!  Its fucking sad.

442 is a sad place dude.

15 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

An important part of the cultural change in the team is that derby have to stop being our grand finals. They are important games, especially when playing against a top performing team, but they are only 3 games across the season. In past seasons we've gone on to play poorly after a derby win so next week's game against Mr Anit-football is the key game in assessing the cultural change for me.

• Like 2

I find it rather funny how some people interpret football matches (and I'm not even talking about people on this forum). Last night's derby reminded me a lot of the first derby this season: one team raced to a 2 goal lead over roughly the 1st half of the match, then the trailing team provided a serious fightback over most of the 2nd half. But some say of the first derby that Victory "played in 2nd gear" and "let the opponents back in the match", and while the 2 derbies are broadly the same (as outlined) they say of last night's derby that Victory "deserved more" out of the match and Melbourne City were "lucky". Even though the exact same things could be said of City last night as of Victory in the first derby--we offensively relaxed and "let the opponents back in the match", and even more so we were good enough to take our chances and score 2 goals to equalise in the first derby, whereas Victory weren't even good enough to take their chances to equalise last night. 

My point being there's a point where stats and facts don't matter, and people can interpret a football match one way or the other. 

But anyway here are the stats (which I think can help at least frame a reasonable discussion, even if people reach different conclusions), and in particular some much discussed stats like the passing accuracy of our defenders and midfielders:

[TP = total passes, LP = long passes, PA = passing accuracy, TC = total crosses, SC = successful crosses, SA = shot assists]

2e37p6t.jpg

2dra1zt.jpg

2m33ex4.jpg

So our defenders didn't help our ball retention, and overall were the weakest passers last night, and were well below their passing accuracy averages over the last 3 games (our back 4s PA averaged over 80% in the past 3 games). But a little surprisingly Kisnorbo was the best passer last light (83.3%), Clisby was the 2nd best passer (68.2%), Franjic the 3rd best (64.3%) and Garuccio the weakest passer (61.9%). 

Our midfielders passing was pretty good. Mooy made the most passes, 50, and as he makes more risky passes (hence he had the most shot assists [and generally leads the league in assists]) he had the solid but not spectacular PA of 76%. Then our midfielders who made the 2nd most passes, Paartalu and Retre equal on 31, had PAs of 87% and 90% respectively.

Here's the passing maps of our 4 defenders:

[Green = successful pass, Red = unsuccessful pass, Yellow = key pass, Blue = assist]

Garuccio                                                          Clisby                                                            Kisnorbo                                                      Franjic

2jerm.jpg

A few noteworthy things:

- Clisby did complete some forward passes. Although Franjic (who was worse), Clisby and Garuccio were underwhelming with their forward passes and playing out from the back

- Apart from an amusingly bad free kick early in the game, Kisnorbo was our best passer and was very responsible with the ball. His passing has been excellent over the past 3 games (with PAs of 83.3% last night, 90.2% against Newcastle last week and 94.4% the week before against CCM)

- Garuccio was our least accurate passer, but as happens pretty often with players with low PAs he made one of the most decisive passes, namely the quality assist to Mauk for the first goal. Garuccio is actually now equal 3rd best in the league for assists with 3, tied with Franjic and Krishna (Broich has 4 and Mooy the league leader has 7)

While our defenders could have kept the ball a little better, our defenders defensive stats were excellent:

* Garuccio - 5 tackles, 3 interceptions, 2 clearances

* Clisby - 2 tackles, 2 interceptions, 4 clearances

* Kisnorbo - 1 tackle, 5 interceptions, 2 clearances

* Franjic - 4 tackles, 4 interceptions, 1 clearance 

Our defenders showed some great steel and resilience last night. I thought our midfield defending wasn't very good last night and the stats back that up (Paartalu only made 1 tackle and 2 interceptions all game, and Mooy only made 1 tackle and 1 interception all game. Mauk and Retre were good though: 3 tackles for the former, and 3 tackles and 3 interceptions for the latter). So our back 4 played a huge part in holding back Victory last night and our defenders deserve a lot of credit for doing their primary job, defending, very well. A highlight for me was Clisby's fantastic last ditch tackle on Berisha in the 2nd half, when he was one on one with Sorensen. If Kisnorbo does that tackle I'm sure he gets massive praise, like when Kisnorbo did produce a fantastic last ditch tackle on Berisha in 2014 (when Berisha played for Brisbane), so likewise I believe Clisby deserves lots of positive recognition for some heroic backs-to-the-wall defending last night.

I could go on but I reckon the above is the main data from last night. There have been lots of questions asked of Melbourne City's defending, and last night the team produced some heroic defending over 90 minutes, especially in the 2nd half, and our players showed they can absorb pressure and be resilient when defending. Anyone who watched this club in past seasons would have bet the farm on us capitulating, so it must be said the team produced an outstanding defensive performance in the 2nd half, that demonstrated a much stronger and tougher character/mentality than we've seen in seasons past. And furthermore it was a whole team performance. One of the nice things about Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo having a relatively quiet night (compared with their high and lofty standards) was that it demonstrated other players, even our youngsters (like Mauk, Garuccio, Retre, Clisby), can step up and change games. And Melbourne City is a lot better off for having a whole team of performers, rather than 1 big player or 3 big players we rely on to win matches.

A final comment from me. If the team can combine the outstanding character and strength they showed last night with the excellent performances of the past 3 weeks--majority of possession, majority of shots, and end product with lots of goals--then I have no doubt that this team can have a damn good season. But this weekend another derby win should be the sole focus, lets concern ourselves with the rest of the season later, and right now celebrate our 4th successive win and the fact that we've consigned Victory to their worst ever losing streak of 4 losses in a row.

• Like 5

Why i won't give Clisby acknowledgement for his last ditch effort is because HE created the goal threat opportunity in the first place with an abomination of an attempted pass  From the maps most of his completed forward passes were short passes.

Re: Garrucio and his assists- why not simply play him as winger since he is a winger?

Mirrors the Goodwyn scenario when we played him at LB when he was a winger and then flourished elsewhere as a winger.

We are not in any way responsible for the tards not being able to finish their chances. It's not our problem they weren't good enough on the night to put the ball in the back of the net. Our boys though took responsibility to fight with everything they've got to hold on to that win so well done to them for an unbelievably gutsy effort. And for that that's why we deserve the three points and it's why we will hopefully continue to push for the top spot. Because not only are we capable to playing good football where we score countless goals but hopefully this proves we have the backbone and fight when needed to get a job done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

I find it rather funny how some people interpret football matches (and I'm not even talking about people on this forum). Last night's derby reminded me a lot of the first derby this season: one team raced to a 2 goal lead over roughly the 1st half of the match, then the trailing team provided a serious fightback over most of the 2nd half. But some say of the first derby that Victory "played in 2nd gear" and "let the opponents back in the match", and while the 2 derbies are broadly the same (as outlined) they say of last night's derby that Victory "deserved more" out of the match and Melbourne City were "lucky". Even though the exact same things could be said of City last night as of Victory in the first derby--we offensively relaxed and "let the opponents back in the match", and even more so we were good enough to take our chances and score 2 goals to equalise in the first derby, whereas Victory weren't even good enough to take their chances to equalise last night. 

My point being there's a point where stats and facts don't matter, and people can interpret a football match one way or the other. 

But anyway here are the stats (which I think can help at least frame a reasonable discussion, even if people reach different conclusions), and in particular some much discussed stats like the passing accuracy of our defenders and midfielders:

[TP = total passes, LP = long passes, PA = passing accuracy, TC = total crosses, SC = successful crosses, SA = shot assists]

2e37p6t.jpg

2dra1zt.jpg

2m33ex4.jpg

So our defenders didn't help our ball retention, and overall were the weakest passers last night, and were well below their passing accuracy averages over the last 3 games (our back 4s PA averaged over 80% in the past 3 games). But a little surprisingly Kisnorbo was the best passer last light (83.3%), Clisby was the 2nd best passer (68.2%), Franjic the 3rd best (64.3%) and Garuccio the weakest passer (61.9%). 

Our midfielders passing was pretty good. Mooy made the most passes, 50, and as he makes more risky passes (hence he had the most shot assists [and generally leads the league in assists]) he had the solid but not spectacular PA of 76%. Then our midfielders who made the 2nd most passes, Paartalu and Retre equal on 31, had PAs of 87% and 90% respectively.

Here's the passing maps of our 4 defenders:

[Green = successful pass, Red = unsuccessful pass, Yellow = key pass, Blue = assist]

Garuccio                                                          Clisby                                                            Kisnorbo                                                      Franjic

2jerm.jpg

A few noteworthy things:

- Clisby did complete some forward passes. Although Franjic (who was worse), Clisby and Garuccio were underwhelming with their forward passes and playing out from the back

- Apart from an amusingly bad free kick early in the game, Kisnorbo was our best passer and was very responsible with the ball. His passing has been excellent over the past 3 games (with PAs of 83.3% last night, 90.2% against Newcastle last week and 94.4% the week before against CCM)

- Garuccio was our least accurate passer, but as happens pretty often with players with low PAs he made one of the most decisive passes, namely the quality assist to Mauk for the first goal. Garuccio is actually now equal 3rd best in the league for assists with 3, tied with Franjic and Krishna (Broich has 4 and Mooy the league leader has 7)

While our defenders could have kept the ball a little better, our defenders defensive stats were excellent:

* Garuccio - 5 tackles, 3 interceptions, 2 clearances

* Clisby - 2 tackles, 2 interceptions, 4 clearances

* Kisnorbo - 1 tackle, 5 interceptions, 2 clearances

* Franjic - 4 tackles, 4 interceptions, 1 clearance 

Our defenders showed some great steel and resilience last night. I thought our midfield defending wasn't very good last night and the stats back that up (Paartalu only made 1 tackle and 2 interceptions all game, and Mooy only made 1 tackle and 1 interception all game. Mauk and Retre were good though: 3 tackles for the former, and 3 tackles and 3 interceptions for the latter). So our back 4 played a huge part in holding back Victory last night and our defenders deserve a lot of credit for doing their primary job, defending, very well. A highlight for me was Clisby's fantastic last ditch tackle on Berisha in the 2nd half, when he was one on one with Sorensen. If Kisnorbo does that tackle I'm sure he gets massive praise, like when Kisnorbo did produce a fantastic last ditch tackle on Berisha in 2014 (when Berisha played for Brisbane), so likewise I believe Clisby deserves lots of positive recognition for some heroic backs-to-the-wall defending last night.

I could go on but I reckon the above is the main data from last night. There have been lots of questions asked of Melbourne City's defending, and last night the team produced some heroic defending over 90 minutes, especially in the 2nd half, and our players showed they can absorb pressure and be resilient when defending. Anyone who watched this club in past seasons would have bet the farm on us capitulating, so it must be said the team produced an outstanding defensive performance in the 2nd half, that demonstrated a much stronger and tougher character/mentality than we've seen in seasons past. And furthermore it was a whole team performance. One of the nice things about Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo having a relatively quiet night (compared with their high and lofty standards) was that it demonstrated other players, even our youngsters (like Mauk, Garuccio, Retre, Clisby), can step up and change games. And Melbourne City is a lot better off for having a whole team of performers, rather than 1 big player or 3 big players we rely on to win matches.

A final comment from me. If the team can combine the outstanding character and strength they showed last night with the excellent performances of the past 3 weeks--majority of possession, majority of shots, and end product with lots of goals--then I have no doubt that this team can have a damn good season. But this weekend another derby win should be the sole focus, lets concern ourselves with the rest of the season later, and right now celebrate our 4th successive win and the fact that we've consigned Victory to their worst ever losing streak of 4 losses in a row.

Now this is what I call a proper analysis. No bullshit, no bias, just facts. 

The stats don't lie and despite the emotion you have during a game, we should all watch a replay and analyse the cold hard facts. 

Just finished watching TWG on SBS. 10 mins on the game, 2 mins talking about city during replays of the game, 8 mins on how good The tards were in the second half.

Fark off c&$ts

We won, we pissed them off and defended well without our best backs.

2nd half was all heart against the tard prima donnas. 

Muscat is riding on the Postacoglu legacy and won't be there next season. Sitting behind him all night and watching him, he is either on ICE, a farking tard sooky mummy's boy, or very worried about his job.

Either way giving to the tarts as they were approaching the race and seeing the look on their faces was priceless.

Come on City keep it going.

• Like 1

As always Murfy you deliver the goods. Glad to see that you are still rational whilst the rest of us are still giddy headed.

One thing I will note that I did get a bit of deja vu last night when ever the ball was lobbed high towards Fornaroli and he had to contend with Delpierre. I don't know what was going on with our blokes but they had to be kidding themselves if they though that a short arse could compete with MDP.

10 minutes ago, Jestr said:

Fuk the tards, they got what they deserve for being the excrement they are...zero points.

however considering they went to Perth on Wednesday below stats are still making me nervous 

image.jpeg

I think a few of our players where a bit off last night so I'm not as worried or concerned about those stats. Here are the stats for the season this far and hoping it was a one off

Screenshot_2015-12-20-14-53-26.png

Screenshot_2015-12-20-14-53-22.png

34 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Highlight of the night: Beating those cunts

Second highlight of the night: Having a chat to Murdocca after the game, his comment..."so good to beat those bastards." The hate runs deep, love it :up: 

I thought since he was let go from us so ungraciously he would hate us