Melbourne Football

Manchester City vs Melbourne City - Saturday July 18 at CBUS Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Cityscape

I can understand why Melbourne fans are shitty.......but, its an ICC event, not a Man City tour per se.

CBF going through it all again KK, but the points are...

- CFG should not have agreed to the ICC conditions;

- Latrobe HQ has been less than open about those conditions until they were forced to disclose them bit by bit on social media.

• Like 1

I'd say its fair enough when a city that could barely get 2000 to an A League game when they had their own club can get 21000 to a game between Man City and Melbourne

Who's to say they are all from the Gold Coast? Could be Man City fans from all over Australia who also support an A-League side.

Having said that, I wasn't necessarily intending it to be aimed at Tony. People are using it constantly. Cuz you know, no-one who follows a European side could possibly follow a team in the A-League and vice-versa. They're mutually exclusive!

Edit: Should probably be typing this in the TTIM thread.

Edited by Pete Heartspur

The term "Eurosnob" is thrown around way too often these days.

I know a heap people that spend a lot time energy and money supporting local grassroots soccer yet are not interested in A league but are well versed and up to date with big Euro leagues. I wouldn't regard them as Eurosnobs more like not attractive to the A League.  Most of them will be at G over the next week or so. 

CBF going through it all again KK, but the points are...

- CFG should not have agreed to the ICC conditions;

- Latrobe HQ has been less than open about those conditions until they were forced to disclose them bit by bit on social media.

!. Well I don't know I agree with your first point. On the one CFG gets promoters who want to throw money at them-and everyone likes  more money no matter how much they have-plus a chance for world wide exposure to their brand 9 these games aginst Madrid and Roma will go all over the world) versus pissing off a handful of Melbourne City fans?  I seriously can't blame them.

Besides they've gone some way to appease fans by televising the game against Melb City.

We're a small cog in a big machine.

2.  Communication could have been a lot better, this is true.

I know a heap people that spend a lot time energy and money supporting local grassroots soccer yet are not interested in A league but are well versed and up to date with big Euro leagues. I wouldn't regard them as Eurosnobs more like not attractive to the A League.  Most of them will be at G over the next week or so. 

And if you ask them why, I have feeling it will be the on field product quality of the local is not up to scratch.

One may say about how little comparatively A-League players get paid, but make no mistake, fans are paying top dollar to watch bottom of the wrung full pro football.  Off  the top of my head it was about $10-$15 bucks more to watch Man City play compared to Melb City.  Aguerro instead of  Josh Kennedy?  i'd pay that difference.

• Like 3

Predicted line up and formation from Bleacher Report.  Obviously Hoffman is long gone

Melbourne City: (4-3-3) 

Velaphi;

Hoffman, Chapman, Kisnorbo,Garuccio;

Paartalu, Melling, Mooy;

Gameiro, Novillo, Williams. 

Edited by haz

Predicted line up and formation from Bleacher Report.  Obviously Hoffman is long gone

Melbourne City: (4-3-3) 

Velaphi;

Hoffman, Chapman, Kisnorbo,Garuccio;

Paartalu, Melling, Mooy;

Gameiro, Novillo, Williams. 

Isn't Garuccio and Melling injured? And I don't know how fit Gameiro would be

City vow stronger side against A-League brothers

Friday, 17 July 2015 

Aidan Ormond

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini will keep the experimenting to a minimum when he meets the club’s ‘younger brothers’ Melbourne City on the Gold Coast tomorrow.

City defeated Adelaide United 2-0 with a raft of changes used in their training game this week.

And with a number of younger players in the travelling squad, some suggested it may be a weakened outfit that takes to the CBus Stadium park.

But on Saturday there will be a more cohesive Sky Blue side against the A-League outfit, promised the Chilean mentor.

“No, tomorrow we will play with just one team. We are going to make some changes in the second half,” he told reporters at the official pre-match press conference.

“But we will start with all the professional players and in the second half we’ll see to make some changes.”

And City captain Vincent Kompany has been impressed by what he’s seen so far from local A-League opposition.

“They were sharp,” he said of the Reds.

“They were good in ball possession and the level is actually of a pretty high standard.

“But for us it’s about the fitness and we got out of it what we did. But the standard of the team [Adelaide] technically was very good.”

And it wasn’t a surprise to the inspirational Belgian given he’s watched the A-League many times on TV in the UK.

In fact, Kompany watched the Melbourne Derby between City and Victory, he revealed with a wry smile.

“Most of the [A-League] games are quite open. And I like watching football from everywhere.

“It’s good, you don’t want to have a walkover when you start playing games.”

Kompany had some advice for City’s Australian brother club, who are into their second full season under the City Football Group ownership structure.

“I think they are at the same stage as we were four or five years ago. Constantly improving. If they can learn one thing from what we experienced is that if you work hard enough they will get to the top.”

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/city-vow-stronger-side-against-a-league-brothers/x6kw2qmpgkob1dhqdxa9bhjfq

Former EPL star can succeed in A-League: JVS

Friday, 17 July 2015

Aidan Ormond 

Melbourne City is set to hand a debut to new EPL signing defender Aaron Hughes against Manchester City on Saturday with coach John van’t Schip convinced he’ll provide the boost needed for an A-League title tilt.

Northern Ireland’s most capped outfield player, formerly of Newcastle United Aston Villa, Fulham, QPR and Brighton, is on a one-year deal and is set to partner captain Patrick Kisnorbo in the heart of City's defence.

After Rob Wielaart and Kew Jaliens exited City at the end of last season, City were left short of central defensive options.

Hughes trained with his Aussie teammates on the Gold Coast this week and is set to be a key part of van’ t Schip’s plans for Hyundai A-League Season 11. 

“He’s a very experienced player with a record amount of games in the English league. He’s a very professional player still playing for Ireland [at national level] and they’ve done well in their group in the European championships qualifiers,” van 't Schip told reporters on Friday.

“We lost a little bit of experience last year so we needed to get defenders back into the squad and Aaron is the perfect fit for us.”

And concerns about adapting to Australian conditions were brushed off by the Dutch mentor, who is looking at Hughes to lead the way for a club building an eye-catching squad ahead of Season 11.

“We spoke with Damien Duff who spoke very highly about him and looking at him now in the last few days we’re happy and sure he’ll add quality to the team.”

City play Manchester City on Saturday in a friendly at Robina on the Gold Coast.

Melbourne City’s skipper Patrick Kisnorbo joked he only knew of their EPL opponents from playing video games on FIFA.

Van ‘t Schip added a win was the goal on Saturday in front of an almost sold out stadium.

“You always want to go out and win a game. The level in this league is big but we want to give them a good game. As they want to have a good game as Vincent [Kompany] said.

“It’s good to be playing already opponents who can play. The level is growing here and that’s a good sign.

“But also enjoying the game against players the boys only see on TV.”

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/former-epl-star-can-succeed-in-a-league-jvs/ave1977n29w71t08g46ksm12o

Zullo won't start:

Fellow recruit, former Brisbane Roar star Michael Zullo, could also be given some time by coach John van’t Schip despite having only linked with the club this week.

“He’s looking good but he will not start. We’ll have to build up his football time. Hopefully … he can play a part in the game in the end,” van’t Schip said.

And apparently triallist George Lambadaridis is a chance to play:

Former Roar midfielder George Lambadaridis on trial with Melbourne City and could be used.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/manchester-city-to-delay-raheem-sterling-debut-until-international-champions-cup-in-melbourne/story-fnhq5z8s-1227445992276

I'm going to guess tomorrow's starting XI will be:

Velaphi

Franjic    Hughes   Kisnorbo   Clisby

Paartalu

Mauk/Retre      Koren

Kuzmanovski  Williams  Novillo

I don't think Mooy is fully fit, so with the only other fit midfielders being Retre and Mauk one of them will have to start. Also Gameiro doesn't seem to be fully fit, and as Marino is the only other available forward I guess Williams will have to start up front.     

Points for trying in my book. At least the club is slowly trying to do more media and provide better PR..

I'm interested to see who's actually fit and available. Maybe Zullo and Novillo, and maybe even Mooy and Gameiro. It'll be a big plus when each of those players can take to the field.

Overall, as long as this first pre-season match helps Melbourne City get fit and firing for the the FFA Cup match, and convincingly win it, I'll be happy. Any other good signs, and chances to see new faces in the team, are a bonus at this point in pre-season, especially against strong European opposition IMO.

• Like 1

Points for trying in my book. At least the club is slowly trying to do more media and provide better PR..

Very true. I much prefer a vertical behind the scenes video for an upcoming match against Man City compared having to rely on sporadic twitter updates for a game against some Sunday league team in Morwell

• Like 1

Squad:

Velaphi, Retre, Chapman, Hughes, Clisby, Dekker, Trifuro, Paartalu, Mauk, Koren, Novillo.

Subs: Sozer, Symeoy, Espindola, Eyigun, Adelson, Lambadaridis, Zullo, Petreski, Kisnorbo, Zinni, Cristaldo.

This will be a slaughter...

Edited by jw1739

Squad:

Velaphi, Retre, Chapman, Hughes, Clisby, Dekker, Trifuro, Paartalu, Mauk, Koren, Novillo.

Subs: Sozer, Symeoy, Espindola, Eyigun, Adelson, Lambadaridis, Zullo, Ptreski, Kisnorbo, Zinni, Cristaldo.

This will be a slaughter...

The good thing is that JVS and local management will have nowhere to hide, the CFG decision makers will be able to benchmark the team & personally see exactly the issues that we identify here every game. They will be able to make a direct comparison to Adelaide who have an identifiable style and game plan, and players who have learnt some basic technique from Gombau.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

The good thing is that JVS and local management will have nowhere to hide, the CFG decision makers will be able to benchmark the team & personally see exactly the issues that we identify here every game.

The result of this game doesn't mean shit, it's a preseason hitout which gives the youth players and trialists a chance to impress and it provides an opportunity to get our more seasoned players match fit.

Significant names missing altogether:

Franjic, Garuccio, Mooy, Melling, Williams, Brown, Marino, Kuzmanowski, Gameiro.

And I'd say I mistook one of the youngsters as Germano.

Nope, Germano is in fact with the team. Not in the squad though obviously.

Source: Dion Fountas

Edited by hakz7