Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

Yeah, make no mistake, the club wouldn't have lasted much longer if CFG didn't buy us. 

It is pretty hard to invest invest much emotion into this club these days when it's clear we're so far down the pecking order. 

Will be be interesting to see who the third Melbourne team will be, I say bring in them in for sure. Western Melbourne and Team 11 both look like strong bids. 

Anyway, hopefully the team can show something soon as thankfully it's only Round 3, but jeez it doesn't look good even with the derby win (which is just typical Heart/City anyway). 

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think you'd see an out-pouring of grief from the fans if CFG walked away from us. IMO many would heave a sigh of relief.

I admit to being enthusiastic when CFG bought us. However, I feel very little emotional investment in the club as it is at the moment.

3 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Might actually feel like im part of a club rather than a souless franchise, dont get me wrong i love my fellow rusted on supporters just not a fan of being part of a world wide company when we are clearly not a priority. 

Was talking about the finances. Not emotional attachment.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

CFG are proof that money doesn't buy happiness.

Why do you say that? Besides updating the training ground I can't really say they have put decent money in the first team. I would like them to invest in first team players, win some trophies and ask the question again. I'm pretty sure the fans in Manchester are happy with winning or competing for prices

51 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Why do you say that? Besides updating the training ground I can't really say they have put decent money in the first team. I would like them to invest in first team players, win some trophies and ask the question again. I'm pretty sure the fans in Manchester are happy with winning or competing for prices

Salary Cap.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Salary Cap.

By using that as excuse the club would basically admit that they are struggling with the salary cap more then other top 4 teams plus our scouting network isn’t up to scratch. Whilst writing the above I realise this is actually the truth.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

By using that as excuse the club would basically admit that they are struggling with the salary cap more then other top 4 teams plus our scouting network isn’t up to scratch. Whilst writing the above I realise this is actually the truth.

Since City have taken over we've been in the top 3 for squad worth each season.

Will be interesting to see how these revelations affect Simon Pierce's influence with the new FFA board. 

I must admit, I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the owners we have. I guess I can only hope for a degree of independence from the CFG..... Although probably fat chance of that.

36 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Will be interesting to see how these revelations affect Simon Pierce's influence with the new FFA board. 

I must admit, I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the owners we have. I guess I can only hope for a degree of independence from the CFG..... Although probably fat chance of that.

@Dylan I'd seen that before, but thanks for the chance to see it again. I doubt that we'll see any change in ownership, or even our ownership style, until the rest of the A-League clubs begin to resist going along with what CFG's ultimate objectives are for the League.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Dylan I'd seen that before, but thanks for the chance to see it again. I doubt that we'll see any change in ownership, or even our ownership style, until the rest of the A-League clubs begin to resist going along with what CFG's ultimate objectives are for the League.

Giving us all their best young players so we can sell them for some good dosh?

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Giving us all their best young players so we can sell them for some good dosh?

I'll guess, for example, that at least two clubs (Central Coast and Wellington) would vote against removal of the salary cap, and that, depending on the constitution of a new independent league, might mean that just one more club joining them would see the cap remaining.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'll guess, for example, that at least two clubs (Central Coast and Wellington) would vote against removal of the salary cap, and that, depending on the constitution of a new independent league, might mean that just one more club joining them would see the cap remaining.

If the salary cap is removed then transfer fees MUST be implemented. If they are not, I would guess 80% of (even Victory) would be against it.

Edited by haz

Simon Pearce of City Football Group is the most powerful figure in Australian soccer   

November 19, 2018

The most powerful figure in Australian soccer now is an English-born former public relations and communications executive whose day job is to “protect and enhance the reputation” of the United Arab Emirates capital of Abu Dhabi.

Simon Pearce, the vice-chairman of A-League club Melbourne City and a special adviser to the executive affairs authority running Abu Dhabi, has been instrumental in driving corporate governance changes behind the scenes that today will install four new directors to the Football Federation Australia board and bring an end to the 15-year reign of first Frank and then Steven Lowy.

Pearce’s influence has grown rapidly in Australian soccer. A member of the nominations committee charged with finding new FFA board members, he is also a board member of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and part of the City Football Group that includes Manchester and Melbourne City, New York City FC and Yokohama F Marinos.

Melbourne City have backed the nominations of two of the four likely candidates to fill the vacant FFA board roles, Chris Nikou and Remo Nogorotto, as revealed by The Australian on Friday, while Pearce is also understood to have been a strong advocate of another likely candidate in former Labor senator Stephen Conroy, a Melbourne City fan and ambassador. City have also backed the nomination of an emerging board contender in Linda Norquay, the chief financial officer of Lachlan Murdoch’s Illyria.

He is also said to have backed Judith Griggs, the author of a report for FIFA recommending governance changes in Australia, who subsequently nominated for the FFA board. But Griggs, a one-time Formula One executive, withdrew last week citing a lack of soccer experience and international business commitments.

Pearce has led the charge for an independent A-League modelled along the lines of the EPL, moving for governance change that is both in line with FIFA statutes and gave A-League clubs more voting power regarding the FFA board — which resulted in Steven Lowy resigning his role in August, a move that will be made official at today’s FFA annual meeting.

Lowy had argued in vain he stood in the way of the clubs getting more control at board level and therefore the purse strings of the sport, potentially starving national teams and junior development programs of funds.

Pearce had earlier helped carve out deals with the NSW and Victorian state federations to enact the governance change, also in concert with the Professional Players Association, run by former CFG employee John Didulica. Under Pearce’s leadership at Melbourne City, the club have won an FFA Cup and invested about $40 million in their Australian operations, recouping a major part of the funds via the sales of players like Aaron Mooy and Daniel Arzani via Manchester City.

CFG has become a global football powerhouse under chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak with Manchester City at the forefront of a billion-dollar spending revolution that has brought trophies, such as last season’s EPL, and fans around the world. Pearce has been a part of that success with his role in the recently published book on the rise of Manchester City and CFG, Killing the Game, described as “to protect and enhance the reputation of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi in the eyes of the world” as the head of strategic communications for the government there.

He has also recently been embroiled in allegations around English Premier League giants Manchester City, where he is a director, and allegations of circumventing financial regulations via the payment of sponsorships by companies connected to the club’s Abu Dhabi owner and the backdating of other financial agreements — both not allowed under European football’s financial fair play.

“We can do what we want,” was one damning quote attributed to Pearce in documents obtained by German publication Der Spiegel, and while Manchester City have said little publicly, they have stated the allegations are part of a “clear and organised” attempt to tarnish their reputation.

Pearce did not return calls from The Australian and other football identities were reluctant to talk about him on the record. One though did say “Simon is doing everything with the best interests of Australian football in mind” and another added: “He is just one part of a voting bloc and Melbourne Victory, Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC have increased their influence … while Simon has had to pull back due to the controversy in Europe.”

Born in London, the 47-year-old Pearce was a communication executive who ran the Sydney office of global PR firm Burson-Marsteller. He left Australia in 2006 for Abu Dhabi, where he became director of strategic affairs and later entered the football world when the Abu Dhabi Group for Development and Investment bought Manchester City in 2008.

Manchester City have gone on to become an outstanding success on the field in the decade under their majority Abu Dhabi ownership. Melbourne City, meanwhile, played before a home crowd of less than 7000 last weekend. But they have also found interesting ways to grow their business off the field, Pearce has ensured the club is winning the competition handsomely.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/simon-pearce-of-city-football-group-is-the-most-powerful-figure-in-australian-soccer/news-story/747ee3c883e8eabf124ff0d97eba81a6

• Thanks 1

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league-expansion-first-order-of-business-for-new-ffa-chair-nikou

Nikou was elected as Football Federation Australia chairman on Monday, with Heather Reid chosen as deputy chair.

The pair were joined by Joseph Carrozzi and Remo Nogarotto as new FFA directors during a protracted voting process at the annual general meeting.

Nikou said he hoped the elections drew a line in the sand after the tumultuous and disunited leadership of Steven Lowy, who was unable to muster the same respect in the role as his predecessor father, Sir Frank.

"It's time for everyone to get in the boat and row together," he said.

"We need to galvanise the football community and share with them what our vision is," he said, adding expansion of the flagship league was his "number one priority".

"I'd like to see it for the following A-League season if we can."

The AGM utilised a complicated balloting process, sharing voting rights between federations, professional clubs, the players' union and the women's council.

Reid (91 per cent), Carrozzi (76 per cent) and Nikou (68 per cent) cleared the 60 per cent hurdle for election at the first time of asking, with Nogarotto and former Senator Stephen Conroy eventually squaring off for a spot.

Conroy withdrew before the final ballot, which delivered Nogarotto - a former Soccer Australia chairman and Northern Spirit and Newcastle Jets boss - the final elected position on the board.

At the conclusion of the AGM, the new directors met and elected Nikou and Reid into the leadership positions.

Reid, a long-time Capital Football chief said she was "overwhelmed with the level of support" after leading the initial vote and had her "sleeves rolled up and ready for hard work ahead".

Her election represents something of a vindication for Professional Footballers Australia, given its other nominee Craig Foster walked away from his candidacy.

Foster withdrew on Friday after sensing he didn't have the necessary support to prevail despite a popular campaign with football fans.

A poll conducted by the Association of Australian Football Clubs had Foster the clear public choice to be elected, gathering 90 per cent support to join the board and attracting 82 per cent favouritism to lead it.

Nikou had just three per cent support which can be attributed to his lack of public profile.

The unsuccessful candidates in Monday's votes were Morry Bailes, Daniel Moulis, Linda Norquay and Mark Shield, with Mark Rendell joining Foster in withdrawing earlier on Monday.

The new board is the first without a Lowy family member at the helm since FFA was founded in the ashes of Soccer Australia 15 years ago.

In other decisions of the groundbreaking AGM, the Association of Australian Football Clubs and Football Coaches Australia were admitted as 'qualifying' members of FFA, legitimising their positions in the eyes of the governing body.

So two of Pearce's preferred candidates got their tickets on the board, including Nikou as Chairman.

Anyone who doubts CFG are here for the long game (with an eye on becoming a powerhouse in Asia), should consider the effort that would have gone into toppling the Lowy dynasty, and instilling a board that will most likely favour a re-cast competition that aligns with CFG's ambition. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league-expansion-first-order-of-business-for-new-ffa-chair-nikou

So two of Pearce's preferred candidates got their tickets on the board, including Nikou as Chairman.

Anyone who doubts CFG are here for the long game (with an eye on becoming a powerhouse in Asia), should consider the effort that would have gone into toppling the Lowy dynasty, and instilling a board that will most likely favour a re-cast competition that aligns with CFG's ambition. 

Good, hopefully CFG put as much thought and effort into the next coaching appointment

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Calling for it now. I've seen enough and gone full circle. We'll not do any good with CFG as owners. My wish and hope is that the club gets sold soon to a new owner, one that actually cares about winning football matches. 

Why do you say that JW, don’t you know we have 6 youth players in the Olyroos squad? Plus we can sell on Wales as we have signed him for free.

Can anyone remember the CFG exec who made the comment about their focus with us as ‘getting a return on the investment’ last year? Or even better point to the article? (Or am I just imagining the whole thing??). I ask because for me it seems to sum up our overlords opinion of us and explain how are in the state we are at the moment.

As far as I can tell, all we exist for at the moment is to sell kids for CFG and get this ‘return’ they’re after. They can’t dominate the league and get exposure into Asia through their usual modus operandi (buying the league), so instead they’re all about cutting their losses and getting money on transfer fees - at least until they get their way with an independent a-league that suits their model better. They’ve brought in a manager with experience with youth at a high level to facilitate their development (surely can’t have been for his record as a senior manager), we pick up as much of the best young talent we can without investing in the senior team as much as we surely could, and there is an almost baffling lack of serious response to continual sub-par performance and weak attendances as that’s not their concern.

Ive been loathe to say it but I seriously doubt we’ll ever win anything until either the league changes (even that’s debatable) or CFG leave

1 hour ago, Cityamatic said:

Can anyone remember the CFG exec who made the comment about their focus with us as ‘getting a return on the investment’ last year? Or even better point to the article? (Or am I just imagining the whole thing??). I ask because for me it seems to sum up our overlords opinion of us and explain how are in the state we are at the moment.

As far as I can tell, all we exist for at the moment is to sell kids for CFG and get this ‘return’ they’re after. They can’t dominate the league and get exposure into Asia through their usual modus operandi (buying the league), so instead they’re all about cutting their losses and getting money on transfer fees - at least until they get their way with an independent a-league that suits their model better. They’ve brought in a manager with experience with youth at a high level to facilitate their development (surely can’t have been for his record as a senior manager), we pick up as much of the best young talent we can without investing in the senior team as much as we surely could, and there is an almost baffling lack of serious response to continual sub-par performance and weak attendances as that’s not their concern.

Ive been loathe to say it but I seriously doubt we’ll ever win anything until either the league changes (even that’s debatable) or CFG leave

Brian Marwood said it 

as I said above, I actually disagree with youse on this point.

The club (CFG) wants to succeed - even if you believe it isnt their core focus, achieving the ultimate success can only help with achieving the rest.

Asia is surely on their radar, regardless of what you think.

I honestly think, as above they are listening to people who have no clue (ie our CEO) and have no idea about how to succeed in such a league, with the cap and other particularities. 

First thing first, we need to find the best A-league proven CEO. The rest flows from there.

what do you mean they dont invest? They would have invested more than any other club over the period they have been owners.

It is just the 'what' they have invested in is the problem. They really are struggling to find players in the sweet spot of good a-league level for the right money. Other clubs do it much, much better than us. Not about investing at all.

No idea re NYC, but I can tell you they put in a (basically) first time coach for 2 seasons - and first time MLS coach. Reads like the Wazza stuff up. Again, like us - totally underestimating what is required in these leagues.

We need the street-wise nous for this league. We need to drink cement - gain a backbone. etc. 

19 hours ago, CityHeart said:

as I said above, I actually disagree with youse on this point.

The club (CFG) wants to succeed - even if you believe it isnt their core focus, achieving the ultimate success can only help with achieving the rest.

Asia is surely on their radar, regardless of what you think.

I honestly think, as above they are listening to people who have no clue (ie our CEO) and have no idea about how to succeed in such a league, with the cap and other particularities. 

First thing first, we need to find the best A-league proven CEO. The rest flows from there.

CFG want to succeed. But as I mentioned in a previous post about CFG management they have other objectives that IMO are causing issues with our chance of having success. Those objectives include but are not limited to playing style, youth development and player recruitment made for political purposes

• Like 1

again, we have been told they have an objective with global game style, beautiful attacking etc - so how do you explain Wazza? Dour, negative and anti-football from the outset.

Youth development? Again - how do you explain our team selections? we are hardly flooding the team with youth - half the time wazza doesnt use the youth on the bench, sometimes not even using all of his subs!

recruitment for political purposes????

Fact is - they are trying, it screams more of being mislead by the club management whom have no idea whatsoever and really are an embarrassment  and are flat out stealing their salary moreso than CFG apparently having other objectives which make no sense.

In some ways, CFG need to realise that it is just as hard to win the a-league as the premier league. You cant simply buy success here. We haven't surrounded the 'football department' with the right people to drive this thing forward.

Until that is fixed, everything else is going to breakdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityHeart said:

again, we have been told they have an objective with global game style, beautiful attacking etc - so how do you explain Wazza? Dour, negative and anti-football from the outset.

Youth development? Again - how do you explain our team selections? we are hardly flooding the team with youth - half the time wazza doesnt use the youth on the bench, sometimes not even using all of his subs!

recruitment for political purposes????

Fact is - they are trying, it screams more of being mislead by the club management whom have no idea whatsoever and really are an embarrassment  and are flat out stealing their salary moreso than CFG apparently having other objectives which make no sense.

In some ways, CFG need to realise that it is just as hard to win the a-league as the premier league. You cant simply buy success here. We haven't surrounded the 'football department' with the right people to drive this thing forward.

Until that is fixed, everything else is going to breakdown.

I don't get whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with the point of CFG having objectives that affect us winning titles....

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 10:54 PM, Cityamatic said:

By Michael Lynch

20 April 2018 — 1:07pm

Brian Marwood has heard it all before, so it's hardly surprising that his face wears a wry grin as he frames the answer to a question posed by so many over the past four years.

In 2014  the City Football Group took over the struggling Melbourne Heart and turned it into the Australian offshoot of their Manchester City flagship, a period in which Marwood has overseen the franchise as it transitioned from one of the A-League's perennial strugglers to one of its best appointed.

Signing Tim Cahill didn't go as expected for Melbourne City.
Signing Tim Cahill didn't go as expected for Melbourne City.CREDIT:AAP

The ex-Arsenal winger - he was part of the Gunners squad that memorably clinched the English championship in the last game of the season with a dramatic win over Liverpool in 1989 - is these days the City Football Group's managing Director of Global Football.

In that role he is used to dealing with Australian media and supporters who want to know why the cashed-up CFG does not open its wallet and spend heavily on big-name marquee players to help City deliver immediate success for its Australian affiliate.

If it was as simple as that, City has the funds to make it happen as soon as it might want. But it isn't that simple.

As Marwood points out, Melbourne City does not operate in isolation and has to meet its financial targets.

It has budgets, it has KPIs and it simply cannot go out and spend what it wants, contrary to popular opinion, Marwood explains. It would rather, long term, grow its own top-liners through a youth system that attracts the best young talent in the country.

(and then sell them off so it doesnt help us long term at all)

The Melbourne operation is one of the three core clubs in the CFG business (the others are Manchester City and New York City, with the group holding stakes or having relationships with affiliates such as Girona in La Liga, Yokohama Marinos - Ange Postecoglou's club -  in the J-League, NAC Breda in Holland and Atletico Torque in Uruguay).

All have to meet performance targets - off the field as well as on it. Really now, how is that going?

''This business has to work, so bringing this big star in, you are talking $3 million, $4 million, $5 million a year,'' he says.

''This business is working hard to ensure that it remains in business. It doesn't need the constant charity and benevolence of Abu Dhabi.

''Every line is looked at, it is treated like a business.''

The issue, says Marwood,  is whether such an investment in such a player would pay its way within the business structure the CFG has set for Melbourne City, even if it could persuade such a star to come here in the first place to round off his career - not something that is easy to do. hmmmmm

Alessandro Del Piero with Sydney might be an exception, but he was very much in his footballing dotage when he arrived, although he did have a big on-field impact in his first season.

Still, Marwood is thinking of more contemporary and younger figures, and at present the United States and China are more tempting options.

''The great big stars, right now, I don't think they see Australia as a destination. Wrong, and a lie

''And the ones that do see it, I am not sure of the impact they would have, from a football perspective.

HMMM I could name 5 players that are doing exactly that for other clubs

''Why would we go and choose to spend $5 million on somebody that is not really going to make a long-term difference.

Because they win you trophies, lift the other players around them and grow your club...... return on investment right?

''He might make a difference short term, because he's been an iconic player, but there are plenty of examples of how and why that doesn't work.

And plenty of examples of how it does work

''People say why don't you bring a big player, but actually, a lot of them don't want to come. and many of them will

So let's take the elephant out of the room here. Lets just

''And if they do want to come you will have to pay them more than the market rate to come. So? what's the return on investment though

''If you do that you have to ask yourself, can your business sustain that, can you get more fans to come, can you sell that many shirts? Are you an idiot?

''The other way is to ask yourself, can you create, with some smart recruitment and a marquee player like Bruno Fornaroli who can give you goals and good football, a better business model that way.

''I understand the calls. We hear it all the time, we are not oblivious to it. But I am not sure that our experiences so far show us that its the right place to be.''

well you don't understand the a-league and how to build a supporter base in this league and you have been wrong on many aspects of managing this club, its culture and supporters which is the REAL elephant in the room.

The Tim Cahill experience is a real-world example of how such bold plans can not work out as expected.

The veteran Socceroo is an Australian icon and a legend of the local game. And while he procued two iconic moments for City in his first season - that amazing long-range goal on debut against Melbourne Victory and the header that won the FFA Cup final - his second season ended in enmity when he quit the club before the half-way mark of the campaign to move back to England to pursue more game time having been told he would not be a guaranteed starter by new coach Warren Joyce.

''I can understand the criticism. Tim will also probably do down in history as somebody that produced very spectacular moments, one was a 45-yard shot against Victory, the other was the winner in the Cup final, so he does have a way of producing special moments littered through his career.

''But we did it (signing him) for all the right reasons, the business and football reasons, we had a very thought-out and carefully constructed plan, and Timmy bought into everything.

''Ultimately the end point didn't match what the initial strategy was. But we shook hands and parted company.''

It has been a similar experience in New York, where City had to invest heavily in big names to create an image and identity for a start-up club, New York City.

The CFG sent former Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira to be the coach, and brought in Frank Lampard, the former England Chelsea star, and Italian and Spanish World Cup winners Andrea Pirlo and David Villa.

Of that trio, only Villa has really worked.

So you made bad choices is what you are saying, so employ people that will make the right ones and get rid of the ones that don't. Seems to me you put KPIs on all things except for the incompetent people you have employed. how does that work?

Lets see.

Munn> leader.........fail 

next

Petrillo> recuiting....... fail

next

Wazza> team manager....... fail

The 3 as a group> team culture and morale.......... fail

''The traction to those players ... David Villa is the one who has probably stood the test of time.

''You will find now the strategy is, we have David,

but we are now looking at having young designated players that are young, vibrant and more energetic players we believe could become top-quality players.''

And this last line my friends is why we find ourselves in limbo and why we will never be a force in the A-league. 

Until CFG admit they are wrong, change their beliefs based on observable tried and proven formulas of success that the successful teams have adopted in this league, then we have to put up with this as supporters/members

IN BRUNO'S OWN WORDS 

FUCK OFF!

37 minutes ago, playmaker said:

By Michael Lynch

Brian Marwood has heard it all before, so it's hardly surprising that his face wears a wry grin as he frames the answer to a question posed by so many over the past four years.

In 2014  the City Football Group took over the struggling Melbourne Heart and turned it into the Australian offshoot of their Manchester City flagship, a period in which Marwood has overseen the franchise as it transitioned from one of the A-League's perennial strugglers to one of its best appointed.

The ex-Arsenal winger - he was part of the Gunners squad that memorably clinched the English championship in the last game of the season with a dramatic win over Liverpool in 1989 - is these days the City Football Group's managing Director of Global Football.

In that role he is used to dealing with Australian media and supporters who want to know why the cashed-up CFG does not open its wallet and spend heavily on big-name marquee players to help City deliver immediate success for its Australian affiliate.

If it was as simple as that, City has the funds to make it happen as soon as it might want. But it isn't that simple.

As Marwood points out, Melbourne City does not operate in isolation and has to meet its financial targets.

It has budgets, it has KPIs and it simply cannot go out and spend what it wants, contrary to popular opinion, Marwood explains. It would rather, long term, grow its own top-liners through a youth system that attracts the best young talent in the country.

The Melbourne operation is one of the three core clubs in the CFG business (the others are Manchester City and New York City, with the group holding stakes or having relationships with affiliates such as Girona in La Liga, Yokohama Marinos - Ange Postecoglou's club -  in the J-League, NAC Breda in Holland and Atletico Torque in Uruguay).

All have to meet performance targets - off the field as well as on it. Really now, how is that going?

''This business has to work, so bringing this big star in, you are talking $3 million, $4 million, $5 million a year,'' he says.

''This business is working hard to ensure that it remains in business. It doesn't need the constant charity and benevolence of Abu Dhabi.

The issue, says Marwood,  is whether such an investment in such a player would pay its way within the business structure the CFG has set for Melbourne City, even if it could persuade such a star to come here in the first place to round off his career - not something that is easy to do. hmmmmm

Alessandro Del Piero with Sydney might be an exception, but he was very much in his footballing dotage when he arrived, although he did have a big on-field impact in his first season.

Still, Marwood is thinking of more contemporary and younger figures, and at present the United States and China are more tempting options.

''The great big stars, right now, I don't think they see Australia as a destination. Wrong, and a lie

''And the ones that do see it, I am not sure of the impact they would have, from a football perspective.

''Why would we go and choose to spend $5 million on somebody that is not really going to make a long-term difference.

Because they win you trophies, lift the other players around them and grow your club...... return on investment right?

''He might make a difference short term, because he's been an iconic player, but there are plenty of examples of how and why that doesn't work.

''People say why don't you bring a big player, but actually, a lot of them don't want to come. and many of them will

''And if they do want to come you will have to pay them more than the market rate to come. So? what's the return on investment though

''If you do that you have to ask yourself, can your business sustain that, can you get more fans to come, can you sell that many shirts? Are you an idiot?

''The other way is to ask yourself, can you create, with some smart recruitment and a marquee player like Bruno Fornaroli who can give you goals and good football, a better business model that way.

''I understand the calls. We hear it all the time, we are not oblivious to it. But I am not sure that our experiences so far show us that its the right place to be.''

well you don't understand the a-league and how to build a supporter base in this league and you have been wrong on many aspects of managing this club, its culture and supporters which is the REAL elephant in the room.

The Tim Cahill experience is a real-world example of how such bold plans can not work out as expected.

The veteran Socceroo is an Australian icon and a legend of the local game. And while he procued two iconic moments for City in his first season - that amazing long-range goal on debut against Melbourne Victory and the header that won the FFA Cup final - his second season ended in enmity when he quit the club before the half-way mark of the campaign to move back to England to pursue more game time having been told he would not be a guaranteed starter by new coach Warren Joyce.

''I can understand the criticism. Tim will also probably do down in history as somebody that produced very spectacular moments, one was a 45-yard shot against Victory, the other was the winner in the Cup final, so he does have a way of producing special moments littered through his career.

''But we did it (signing him) for all the right reasons, the business and football reasons, we had a very thought-out and carefully constructed plan, and Timmy bought into everything.

''Ultimately the end point didn't match what the initial strategy was. But we shook hands and parted company.''

It has been a similar experience in New York, where City had to invest heavily in big names to create an image and identity for a start-up club, New York City.

The CFG sent former Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira to be the coach, and brought in Frank Lampard, the former England Chelsea star, and Italian and Spanish World Cup winners Andrea Pirlo and David Villa.

So you made bad choices is what you are saying, so employ people that will make the right ones and get rid of the ones that don't. Seems to me you put KPIs on all things except for the incompetent people you have employed. how does that work?

Lets see.

next

next

''The traction to those players ... David Villa is the one who has probably stood the test of time.

but we are now looking at having young designated players that are young, vibrant and more energetic players we believe could become top-quality players.''

And this last line my friends is why we find ourselves in limbo and why we will never be a force in the A-league. 

Until CFG admit they are wrong, change their beliefs based on observable tried and proven formulas of success that the successful teams have adopted in this league, then we have to put up with this as supporters/members

IN BRUNO'S OWN WORDS 

FUCK OFF!

next

next

Munn is only at city due to his heafty long term contract along with the sale of city not to mention his massive pay as well as some of the stupid bonus included

Petrillo  from CEO to Heads of Talent Management and Human Performance - interesting

Wazza never made it in the UK will defo not start here

The minute a new club is formed City is finished!! The club was always going to be a basket case from day dot

Edited by AntiScum

17 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

next

next

Munn is only at city due to his heafty long term contract along with the sale of city not to mention his massive pay as well as some of the stupid bonus included

Petrillo  from CEO to Heads of Talent Management and Human Performance - interesting

Wazza never made it in the UK will defo not start here

The minute a new club is formed City is finished!! The club was always going to be a basket case from day dot

Munn also has always been a massive JVS fan dispute results... City should have started as I said at the time by throwing everything at Graham Arnold when it was known he was leaving the Central Coast, TBH I was then and still are baffled what this logically did not occur considering CFG's wealth.

And I was right because lot things would be very different now if they had done this... MHFC got of to a shit start and MCFC then employed the exact same team of Munn and JVS when getting a second chance of a new begging and the same problems with attracting support exist. Talk about not taking anything out of History.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

By Michael Lynch

Lets see.

next

next

IN BRUNO'S OWN WORDS 

FUCK OFF!

You are actually beyond parody.

• Like 1

Marwood is disingenuous when he refers to Lampard, and indeed Villa. Lampard was supposed to go to NYC but ended up staying in Manchester for a season thus pissing off New York City supporters. Villa played just 4 out of the 10 matches he was supposed to play with us, thus pissing off City supporters and the Melbourne media. Villa was actually a huge success for us in those two home matches - pulled in the fans and scored goals. Marwood chooses not to mention that because it is counter to his main theme that "big names don't work." And the Cahill experiment failed not because of Cahill on the field but because Joyce told him he couldn't be guaranteed a starting place. Of course Cahill should have kept his public mouth shut, but in reality his breakdown with the club was initiated by Joyce, Marwood's hand-picked man.

I just find it genuinely frustrating that we continue to fail on so many levels.

When we were Heart, we had to punch above our weight for any level of success, but when the occasional success came, it could be genuinely celebrated.  To be honest though, I think we all accepted that Heart would not be a successful team, unless there was ownership change.

Then when CFG came in, there was hope.  We were told to be patient, that CFG would take their time and get things right, and success would follow.

What is so damn frustrating is that we should have a team that is a genuine contender for silverware every season. 

What we get instead is a team that continues to fail, particularly when it counts, with a string of constant missed opportunities and capitulations.  And while we suffer, our rivals continue to succeed.  What were the odds of us missing out on Asia last season after finishing 3rd?  But of course it happened, and to the tards.  Why do those players who were so rubbish for us, leave and do really well, especially against us?  Why do we lose to spud like Aloisi badly, and also have to suffer seeing our best player fall out with the club in a publicly embarrassing manner. 

I still hold out hope that when the A-League revamps we will come good, but there is only so much that a supporter can take. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Marwood is disingenuous when he refers to Lampard, and indeed Villa. Lampard was supposed to go to NYC but ended up staying in Manchester for a season thus pissing off New York City supporters. Villa played just 4 out of the 10 matches he was supposed to play with us, thus pissing off City supporters and the Melbourne media. Villa was actually a huge success for us in those two home matches - pulled in the fans and scored goals. Marwood chooses not to mention that because it is counter to his main theme that "big names don't work." And the Cahill experiment failed not because of Cahill on the field but because Joyce told him he couldn't be guaranteed a starting place. Of course Cahill should have kept his public mouth shut, but in reality his breakdown with the club was initiated by Joyce, Marwood's hand-picked man.

Marwood also focuses on players (as is reasonable to talk about) but doesn't talk about coaches. We've never had a good coach, Marwood may also say that it's also difficult to attract a star coach to a salary capped football backwater, .however, there seems to be little value putting the effort into attracting good players when the coach remains the weakest link, season after season after season

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I enjoyed it 

There's clearly some huge issues at play in the club at the moment, and for the record, i think last week and the ensuing result has now left Wazza's position virtually untenable, but seriously some of our fans couldn't tell their arse from their elbow when it comes to diagnosing or analysing anything.