Melbourne Football

MCFC v NEW - Round 2.

mitchellmcleod

Our First Home Game attendance trend for 5 years 

2010 V CCM    11050     (First ever game) 

2011 V Perth   7229        (Fred is the attraction) 

2012 V Wellington   10907    (Won the derby round 1 ) 

2013 V CCM    8734   (With Harry K ) 

2014 V Newcastle  ????  (City takeover , Villa in)  

Based on 30% growth we would say 13,000 roughly to next weeks game

Anything under 13k should be considered a disappointment. 

We got around 14k or so when ADP played at AAMI.

Our average first game attendance is only about 9,500( versus an overall home game average of 6,775 not including derbies) so I think anything above 10K should be viewed as positive or at least headed in the right direction.

Yes but our average member base for the first game those seasons was remarkably lower. We have almost a 5000 member difference between this time last year. Having almost 10k members by Sunday will ensure we will get bare minimum close to 14k or very possibly above, I think.

Melbourne City marquee Robert Koren set to make A-League debut against Newcastle Jets

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

OCTOBER 13, 2014

WHILE David Villa stole the headlines on his debut, Melbourne City’s genuine marquee looks set to be unveiled in Sunday’s home clash with Newcastle Jets.

Slovenian Robert Koren was a late withdrawal after picking up a calf strain in an intra-club, leading into the opening round draw with Sydney FC.

But the midfielder could make his debut in front of a record non-derby home crowd at AAMI Park, with the club hopeful of cracking the 10,000 membership mark by kick-off.

Koren, who signed a two-year deal after joining from English Premier League club Hull City, will resume full-scale training this week in a bid to be selected by coach John van’t Schip.

“That was a big disappointment for all of us, especially for him, after a long pre-season and then getting a little injury on his calf,” van’t Schip said.

“Hopefully he can be there next week depending on how his progression goes, but we’ll have to see that day-by-day.’’

While Villa has hogged the headlines since arriving last week, van’t Schip said signing Koren for two years was crucial for the ambitious club.

The former West Brom attacker was capped 61 times for Slovenia and played in the 2010 World Cup before retiring in 2012.

Van’t Schip predicted a big season from a player he said was still hungry, and said his versatility will help City’s star-studded attack, that included a top performance from fellow new signing, Irishman Damien Duff.

“Robbie is very ambitious, he wants to prove himself in Australia, he’s got a lot of football left in him and it’s good to have this player who’s committing to the club for two years and we’re happy that he’s with us,’’ he said.

“He played the whole pre-season in midfield but also played up front.

“He even played one game up front in a false nine role, a bit like Harry played last season in his last games.

“Robbie can play in a number of positions, he’s very versatile and we’ll see how we work that out.’’

City’s record non-derby home crowd was for Alessandro Del Piero’s AAMI Park visit and Lucas Neill’s controversial debut, which attracted 13,752.

City officials were predicting a crowd of between 12-15,000, with the membership tally standing at 9,250.

Captain Patrick Kisnorbo, who played with South Melbourne in the NSL, was excited and said it was a sign of the game’s progress.

“The game’s come a long way for stuff like this to happen, and it’s great for the sport and great for Melbourne,’’ Kisnorbo said..

“If we can get that crowd and have a sellout (at some stage), it would show how far the game has come.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-marquee-robert-koren-set-to-make-aleague-debut-against-newcastle-jets/story-fnk6pqhd-1227089176970

Edited by Murfy1

I don't think that it is a fair to compare the attendances between ADP and Villa in the forthcoming game. Primarily there is a huge Italian population here in Melbourne; whilst the Spaniards have been in Melbourne since the end of the civil war, the size of the community is not that large and subsequent generations have blended in with the locals so it would depend as to whether they are aware of his existence. Sports lovers of course seem to know about him so that may be a boost but they also knew about ADP.

I don't think that it is a fair to compare the attendances between ADP and Villa in the forthcoming game. Primarily there is a huge Italian population here in Melbourne; whilst the Spaniards have been in Melbourne since the end of the civil war, the size of the community is not that large and subsequent generations have blended in with the locals so it would depend as to whether they are aware of his existence. Sports lovers of course seem to know about him so that may be a boost but they also knew about ADP.

Agreed, but I still think we can beat the ADP figure. Principally because Villa is our player, not the opposition's, and IMO that could bring - should bring - plenty of additional support for City into the stadium. Plus the bonus of Koren likely making his debut. There's plenty of closet supporters of City out there, it's just that rarely have we given them any reason to get off their couches.

Our First Home Game attendance trend for 5 years 

2010 V CCM    11050     (First ever game) 

2011 V Perth   7229        (Fred is the attraction) 

2012 V Wellington   10907    (Won the derby round 1 ) 

2013 V CCM    8734   (With Harry K ) 

2014 V Newcastle  ????  (City takeover , Villa in)  

Based on 30% growth we would say 13,000 roughly to next weeks game

Anything under 13k should be considered a disappointment. 

We got around 14k or so when ADP played at AAMI.

Our average first game attendance is only about 9,500( versus an overall home game average of 6,775 not including derbies) so I think anything above 10K should be viewed as positive or at least headed in the right direction.

Yes but our average member base for the first game those seasons was remarkably lower. We have almost a 5000 member difference between this time last year. Having almost 10k members by Sunday will ensure we will get bare minimum close to 14k or very possibly above, I think. Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right(and I'm wrong!!) and we get 14-15k to the game. I just don't want people to be disappointed that we "only" got 10/11/12k and look at it as a positive based on where we are starting from

Anyone else a bit worried about how our active support will go this weekend.... I feel the People on this forum in the active are in a good position but the ones who are not maybe need some youtube videos or audio on the app with lyrics... I understand how hard it is 

This would be good for the newbies as well. And it is my dream for the whole City supporters in the AAMI Park to chant along as well someday.

• Like 1

Anyone else a bit worried about how our active support will go this weekend.... I feel the People on this forum in the active are in a good position but the ones who are not maybe need some youtube videos or audio on the app with lyrics... I understand how hard it is 

Should be taking notes from the RBB.

They have a Youtube account dedicated to uploading audio clips of a few of their main lads chanting with lyrics on screen.

And Not just one capo but several to coordinate the support!

Like most of us, I'm expecting a win this week.. I think we showed we are strong team all over the park.. I agree we missed Wilo up front but even if we play with the same 11 we should still get a result...

Quick question for everyone! Did anyone take note when Graham Arnold said "we are the richest club in the land"

It sounded wired at first but I guess that just shows what we as a club have become and the expectation and pressure we have.

Feels good...

Should be taking notes from the RBB.

They have a Youtube account dedicated to uploading audio clips of a few of their main lads chanting with lyrics on screen.this will be happening soon actually

• Like 3

The first couple of weeks will be hard, but i'm assuming that the majority of the chants will just be the same as they were last season.

As long as 100 different types of chants aren't tried on the day i don't reckon their will be anything to fear.

The first couple of weeks will be hard, but i'm assuming that the majority of the chants will just be the same as they were last season.

As long as 100 different types of chants aren't tried on the day i don't reckon their will be anything to fear.

Some of the chants used away in Sydney were simple and easy to use. I know its very simple but "Come on city" is one everybody can do.

If Koren is over his calf injury then he must play. It could be he plays from the left with Villa up front.

Also I wonder if JVS may play Archibald at left back with Hoffman on the right

Does anyone think that Archibald would be a better fit than Ramsey?

If Hoffman starts, then I think Ramsay needs to stay at left back as Archibald and Hoffman won't make overlapping runs and we'll be too stagnant going forward. 

What I'd really like is a genuine left back who can attack and defend.

I agree with that Nate

Personally I would leave the back four as they are, because they didn't do too much wrong.

They were obviously helped with Paartalu sitting in front of them.

It seemed to me in the last 15 minutes Paartalu tired a bit and that meant the back four came under more pressure, but they handled it very well.

He has had limited match time, so I think he was not quite match fit. Normally he plays 120 minutes before he gets tired as CCM know.

• Like 1

Had a good look through the fixture, I'm a little disappointed, way too many Sunday 5pm home games IMO. The 3pm or even Saturday afternoon/night would be much better I would have thought. This will affect attendances overall again yeah?

Perhaps I should post my spreadsheet somewhere?

You'd be surprised at what our average attendances actually are.

We've played 46 non-derby matches at AAMI Park. My spreadsheet does not record kick-off times I'm afraid, but it shows 10 matches on Friday (average attendance 6,404), 14 on a Saturday (6,927), 15 on a Sunday (7,123), 1 on a Monday (5,393), 1 on a Tuesday (5,614), 4 on a Wednesday (5,434), and 1 on a Thursday (11,050).

Yes, of course there are factors that influence actual attendances (e.g. the ADP match was on a Sunday, and the Thursday match was the very first Heart match), but it's fairly clear from the figures that Saturday and Sunday are the preferred days up to now.

Sunday arvo is my suited time, can bring the kids gives the misses a break and I look like a champion. Only downside I think and I have no data on this but the game seems slower during daytime, when summer kicks in and 25+ temps does affect spectacle. As long as we have a mix then at least at some point someone will be happy.

Edited by Jovan

Sunday arvo is my suited time, can bring the kids gives the misses a break and I look like a champion. Only downside I think and I have no data on this but the game seems slower during daytime, when summer kicks in and 25+ temps does affect spectacle. As long as we have a mix then at least at some point someone will be happy.

it seems slower because it is.

And it should be- no sense in killing the players after 65 minutes.

So looking forward to this. One of the great joys of the A-league is sitting in 30 degree sunshine with a beer in hand watching football - perfect beer drinking weather unlike the AFL season. The first time I watched Heart was a hot December day season 1 and it was like an epiphany. I think it's a real selling point and makes for a much more enjoyable afternoon.

Not fussed by the crowd - I just want a win. Through sustained success will come sustained crowds. The Villa signing is good marketing, but consistently thumping teams will slowly but reliably bring the fans. Bring results and the rest will follow.