Melbourne Football

Stefan Mauk

Deluka

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Surely Williams has to be pushing for inclusion? As a senior player and in his fifth season with the club surely he's got to do more than play cameo roles coming off the bench?

If we got rid of Williams in January, then we would probably be able to use the space in the cap to sign a player like Wilkinson

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, haz said:

If we got rid of Williams in January, then we would probably be able to use the space in the cap to sign a player like Wilkinson

Williams is apparently still on some pretty decent coin so I cant see anyone taking on that contract when (I think) it expires at the end of the season anyway.

Willo will either sign on with us for a lower wage or move on elsewhere at season's end.

• Like 2

I actually think Koren will suit that role quite well- coming in off the right hand side, and drifting about in behind Bruno, whilst Franjic bombs on to add the width on the right. Williams to remain on the bench- at best. How some people can think he should start after his last 12-18 months of utter shite just blows my mind. He should be shown the door ASAP

Edited by tommac
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne City midfielder Stefan Mauk on draw with Sydney FC and Olyroo ambitions

January 3, 2016

David Davutovic

MIDFIELDER Stefan Mauk will clock on for Olyroos duty in the best shape of his career, but departs lamenting that Melbourne City could only claim a point.

City drew 2-2 in a chaotic but highly entertaining clash with Sydney FC on Saturday night, with Mauk playing another solid 90 minutes and playing a key role in coach John van’t Schip’s first half reshuffle.

Star trio Aaron Mooy (ribs), Ivan Franjic (corked thigh) and Erik Paartalu (groin) may have played if it was a finals game according to Mauk, but said the result proved City’s depth was improving after they initially struggled to adjust.

City midfielder Jacob Melling has been cleared of serious injury after limping off with 10 minutes to go with a numb ankle, and is a chance to play against Western Sydney.

“We didn’t start the best, those changes late on game day disrupted us and it took a while for us to find our feet,’’ Mauk said.

“Franjic was 50-50 all week and it depended on how he felt on the day, Erik and Aaron Mooy felt something the day before the game and were given until the last minute, but it was decided best to give them a week off.

“If it was a more important game they probably would’ve put their hand up and it would’ve been up to the coaching staff.

“But with a few injuries already and myself leaving (for Olyroos duty) we couldn’t afford to get too many more. It was a smart decision, rather than risking playing them and picking up worse injuries.

“It was frustrating for the players, but a good chance for those who came in and it showed we’ve got a good squad and even with some youth boys we can compete.’’

Mauk was central to the switch from a 4-2-3-1 to a 3-5-2, as he shifted from wide right to a preferred central midfield role alongside Melling with teen debutant Alu Eyigun sacrificed for Michael Zullo after 34 minutes.

“After the tactical change we looked a bit more settled, but it wasn’t what we expected or wanted after the Brisbane loss,’’ he said.

“With the way Sydney played their wingers got really high, and this way our wingbacks could cover their fullbacks and myself and Jacob in the middle looked to be quite solid defensively

“The first 30 they were all over us and really dominated. We just needed to get our foot on the ball an regain control.’’

Mauk departs for Olyroos duty having secured a spot in City’s first XI and was confident of playing a role for Aurelio Vidmar’s side in their decisive Rio 2016 qualifiers in Qatar.

“I’m in the best shape of my career, very fit, now it’s about going in there and getting used to playing and hopefully securing a starting spot,’’ Mauk said.

“This has been a very good year for me, a bit of a breakout year. My body’s matured a lot and feel I’m ready to play 90 and against grown men.

“It’s a good test, where a lot of the Asian countries are physical and looking to dominate.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-midfielder-stefan-mauk-on-draw-with-sydney-fc-and-olyroo-ambitions/news-story/256c1d18a5258b07ac182e8967d439a9

• 2 weeks later...

Payback time, vows fired-up Olyroo Mauk

12 January 2016

John Greco

Olyroos midfielder Stefan Mauk is after revenge against UAE in the AFC U-23 Championship opener on Friday morning (AEDT) after their opponents knocked Australia out of youth World Cup qualifiers two years ago.

The Olyroos open the tournament in Doha – which doubles as qualifiers for the Rio Olympics – against the tricky Arab nation.

Mauk has bad memories against UAE from the qualifiers for the U-20 World Cup two years ago, when a late penalty saw the two side’s draw 1-1, with the young Aussies eventually missing out on qualification.

“They [UAE] are a pretty physical side and they’re pretty street-smart,” Mauk told FFA TV.

“We copped an 89th minute penalty against them [in 2014] so it was pretty disappointing and I guess they were pretty excited about that and rubbed it in a little bit.

“Hopefully this time we can get the wood over them and make sure we beat them comfortably.

“We’re pretty excited to get the first game underway. It feels like it’s been a long time coming and should be a good first test against the UAE,” he added.

The Olyroos have now assembled in Qatar ahead of the start of the tournament and remain steadfast in their focus of booking their ticket to Rio over the next couple of weeks.

For Mauk, he heads into these games in exceptional form, having played a major role in Melbourne City’s Hyundai A-League rise over the last two months.

“I’ve never really nailed down a starting spot with Melbourne City but I’ve finally been able to do that this season,” the 20-year-old said.

“I’ve got a couple of goals to go with it so the confidence is pretty high for myself…hopefully I can bring that into the team here.

“There’s plenty of good players here so I’m sure if I do get the chance hopefully I’ll be able to show the talent I’ve been doing in the A-League.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/payback-time-vows-fired-up-olyroo-stefan-mauk/lxzg3eg86pwn1p10aslxngbu1

• Like 1

Mauk has played too many games of 1st team football to start. Vidmar obviously prefers guys who are fresh from warming the pine at their clubs or not even getting a game: Galloway, Gallifuoco, Brillante, Edwards, Pain & Ugarkovic combined probably wouldn't have played the same amount of minutes as Mauk in the past month, yet all started. Fucking shambles.

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Mauk has played too many games of 1st team football to start. Vidmar obviously prefers guys who are fresh from warming the pine at their clubs or not even getting a game: Galloway, Gallifuoco, Brillante, Edwards, Pain & Ugarkovic combined probably wouldn't have played the same amount of minutes as Mauk in the past month, yet all started. Fucking shambles.

IIRC last season when Mauk went on the  NT he came back injured and was unable to play for quite a long time. I prefer that Mauk does nothing but sit on the bench so we can have him fit and ready to compete for a spot in the Melbourne City team. I could not care less for the olyroos.

^^^^^^

thanks just read it

Gee a lot of love for Mauk

Seriously, he's not that good

played 90 minutes once or twice in his time at Heart/City, always runs out of puff, for a 20 year old that is disconcerting

does  couple of things, then goes missing for 20 minutes

Did score against Victory a couple of times , so has been good for us

He won't make it in Europe

• Like 2

Just now, japiedog said:

^^^^^^

thanks just read it

Gee a lot of love for Mauk

Seriously, he's not that good

played 90 minutes once or twice in his time at Heart/City, always runs out of puff, for a 20 year old that is disconcerting

does  couple of things, then goes missing for 20 minutes

Did score against Victory a couple of times , so has been good for us

He won't make it in Europe

This.

Talent yes, but nowhere near ready to replace Mooy.

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

And Caceras is alot better than Mauk

Caceres, like Mauk, has shown promise and occasionally flair and excitement. But I don't think Caceres has been consistent and he visibly wilts when the team falls behind or is pressured. He needs to find some inner steel. Maybe if he is surrounded by better players he can come into his own and mature. And I certainly hope that Melbourne City is that club but for now he is a work in progress.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

And Caceras is alot better than Mauk

Yet to be seen. Mauk has scored 4 goals this season and two assists just this season while Caceras has scored 2 goals over the last two seasons and provided only 3 assists. Caceras has some boots to fill with regards to Mauk especially considering he'd be on 3 times as much as him, if not more. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...