Melbourne Football

Andrew Redmayne

Murfy1

Don't want to take anything away from what's been said...but in reality all he did last night was what goalkeepers are there to do. I thought he stretched a little bit harder for the ball than previously, kept his hands together and got them behind the ball...and suddenly you have a save rather than a goal. In summary, he lifted the intensity of his game to what is actually required every time he steps onto the ground.

• Like 4

probably his best game for the season.

One piece of criticism would be that he should have came out to intercept the through ball played to Henrique which lead to the goal. He was on his heals and if he had reacted quick enough he would have gathered the long through ball well and truly inside his box. He is always hesitant on whether or not to come out and intercept

I'm going to watch the game again cause maybe I'm missing something you guys haven't, but I'm sure Redmayne didn't do anything particularly special during that game. Is it that he didn't cost us any goals and the fact there's some euphoria from winning that causes some to think his performance was more than adequate? For me he made one very good save. I think his distribution was 50/50 and there were about 3 or 4 times where he should have come out and intercepted the ball but didn't. I still put him up there as one of the players that had a descent game but that's the highest I would rate him.

• Like 1

I'm going to watch the game again cause maybe I'm missing something you guys haven't, but I'm sure Redmayne didn't do anything particularly special during that game. Is it that he didn't cost us any goals and the fact there's some euphoria from winning that causes some to think his performance was more than adequate? For me he made one very good save. I think his distribution was 50/50 and there were about 3 or 4 times where he should have come out and intercepted the ball but didn't. I still put him up there as one of the players that had a descent game but that's the highest I would rate him.

Made two very good saves from close range shots after Brisbane cut back.

I do not understand people praising his distribution though. Was pretty ordinary. And the ball was played back to him far too often resulting in aimless thumps up the ground.

No doubt milked every save. 

There was one fingertip save (and someone was on the line) which was actually pretty good.

As was said above, distribution was average. He does hoof it up the park too often for my liking though. It's concerning because Kisnorbo does it too. The only one good enough to play it out would be Wielart. Even Hoffman is prone to the hoof.

It wasn't special, it was HAL standard and that's what makes the performance so special for him. No big goal conceding bungles.

• Like 2

is actually leading the league in saves made

this is clearly a reflection on the great defence we have.

Is also leading the league in goals conceded

is also leading the league in goals conceded after making a save

Also leading the league in clapping his hands together really angrily every time he lets a soft goal in.

• Like 4

Melbourne City keeper Andrew Redmayne feels emotion of 'home town' clash

Roy Ward

Nov 15, 2014

Players always know when they play their home town team or their former club.

That one is always a game to savour. And it's the double for Melbourne City goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne when he faces Central Coast Mariners.

Redmayne will be in goal when the Mariners visit AAMI Park to take on Melbourne City on Sunday at 5pm.

The 25-year-old was raised in Gosford and spent his childhood on the Central Coast before moving to the Australian Institute of Sport as a 17-year-old.

Redmayne later signed with the Mariners as his first professional club and made his A-League debut for the team before moving to Brisbane Roar in 2010, and then Melbourne in 2012 where he became the first-choice keeper, a role he still holds this season.

"The Mariners are my home town club and I supported them in the early part of the A-League and played for them," Redmayne said.

"They still have a few foundation players in and around the club who I'm mates with and it's special to play against them, but I'm fully focused on getting the points from this match.

"You've always got the connection there and my dad Brian is still a pretty keen Mariners fan - so much so I'm not sure who he is supporting on Sunday."

While Redmayne will always be a proud son of Gosford, it has been Melbourne City who have given him the chance to become a fully fledged starting keeper - a thought he keeps front-of-mind whenever the Mariners come to town.

"It pulls at the heartstrings a bit to play against them, but whenever you play football it is always about the team on the front of your shirt and doing everything you can to win for them," Redmayne said.

City and the Mariners come into the match in desperate need of three points, as several of the top four sides are already threatening to move three wins ahead if matches go their way this round.

City has only five points from its first five matches but scored a memorable win over Brisbane Roar in Brisbane with a 3-1 result last Saturday.

"It wasn't our prettiest football," Redmayne said. "But sometimes a good, hard-fought win can be better for a side than having a pretty win.

"Brisbane threw everything at us and we didn't have much possession, so to win on a large field in hot conditions was big for us."

The City defence has been solid so far but has yet to keep a clean sheet, conceding 10 goals from five games.

While some keepers would stress about their goal count, Redmayne said he wanted to see his side win on the scoreboard then hopefully keep the opposition scoreless.

"It would be good to get that monkey off my back," Redmayne said. "If conceding one goal means we win a game, then I'm more than happy to take the win. Winning always comes first but, of course, keeping a clean sheet is a close second."

Redmayne knows the Mariners well and despite the visitors only having three points from four matches, he expects City to face a brutal test of their resolve.

Keeping possession and not feeding the Mariners' exceptional counter-attacking players are the chief focuses for City.

"They like to sit back and absorb pressure then catch teams on the break," he said. "So we need to stay focused for 90 minutes and be wary of them on the counter attack as they have a lot of pace up front."

City will be without creative midfielder Aaron Mooy who is on Socceroos duty, while young midfielder Stefan Mauk is with the young Socceroos. Mariners defender Storm Roux is also on international duty with New Zealand.

Melbourne City supporters would be relieved captain and central defender Patrick Kisnorbo and defensive midfielder Erik Paartalu weren't also pulled into the Socceroos side but Redmayne said he would love to see his teammates get national recognition.

"We have a strong back four and Paartalu in front of that," he said. "I would be very happy to see them get a call-up, I think we have great depth in our defence - we have talent who can fill in for them."

Expectations remain high for Melbourne City's season and Redmayne said with Manchester City's ownership of the club, the side had all the extra support and "one-percenters" to turn themselves into contenders.

"There are high expectations on us externally but they are no higher than the expectations we have on ourselves inside the club - we want to do everything we can to be in the finals and to win this season," Redmayne said.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-keeper-andrew-redmayne-feels-emotion-of-home-town-clash-20141115-11nadg.html

Redmayne did well to keep us in the lead.

We seem to forget the one-on-one he saved in the early stages of the second half.

And was very good when CCM had a strong 20min in the first half.

The draw was fair considering. But you cannot loose a 2-0 lead and blame (in part) Redmayne.