Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

11 minutes ago, Tesla said:

The irony is that there has been so much rape or just plain and simple breeding between different races that modern races share very little genetics with ancient races in Europe, Middle East, etc. 

All in the plan to wipe religion, nations, have one monetary system, one king to rule the world. Stay woke. 

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

It was such a bizarre thing moving to Aus as a teenager. Everyone was "Greek" or "Serbian" or "Lebanese" not Australian. Never experienced this in NZ (was probably too young to notice in the UK)

Try moving from Melbourne to Perth as a 14 year old, suddenly everybody who wasn't white apparently had their own Racial Slur to describe them - Most of them being things I had never fucken heard... something I never got over as educated PPL would use these words all the time.

For example nobody would ever describe Aboriginals with the simple abbreviation that some idiots use here... that had a whole series of worse words.

They even had a different word for bloody "Wog" because they wanted to still have a word that could racially insult... a wog.

NOTE: Obviously I dont want to type these words out.

57 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It was such a bizarre thing moving to Aus as a teenager. Everyone was "Greek" or "Serbian" or "Lebanese" not Australian. Never experienced this in NZ (was probably too young to notice in the UK)

Ive mentioned before at times i can find the lack of Australian patriotism, for lack of a better word, disconcerting. It often seems that everyone is too busy pumping up their ethnic heritage, even if it is a generation or two removed than actually being proud/supporting their own country. IMO it can lead to a lack of assimilation.

Of course, everyone is fully entitled to do this and our multiculturalism is what makes us great, its more that it can irk me a little sometimes that the pedestal is reserved for something they may not have even lived.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Try playing soccer in 80s 90s. It was like every weekend your playing in a different country. 

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Ive mentioned before at times i can find the lack of Australian patriotism, for lack of a better word, disconcerting. It often seems that everyone is too busy pumping up their ethnic heritage, even if it is a generation or two removed than actually being proud/supporting their own country. IMO it can lead to a lack of assimilation.

Of course, everyone is fully entitled to do this and our multiculturalism is what makes great, its more that it can irk me a little sometimes that the pedestal is reserved for something they may not have even lived.

Called it @thisphantomfortress

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Of course, everyone is fully entitled to do this and our multiculturalism is what makes us great, its more that it can irk me a little sometimes that the pedestal is reserved for something they may not have even lived.

I think it's not a lack of Australian patriotism, but a lack of reason or opportunity to show it.

Eg if you saw my dad watching a Socceroos game there is no way you couldnt say he is a patriot, but aside from things like that what other opportunities or reasons does he have to show his Australian patriotism?

Whereas with the ethnic stuff, it's an important part of people's identity in this multicultural society so there is more reason to show/celebrate it.

Or maybe another way to say/look at it, growing up in a very multicultural part of Melbourne/Australia, a pretty normal question was to ask people their 'nationality'. Now most of us would have been Australian, in fact for me it's technically my only nationality as it's the only country I hold citizenship to, but my answer would of course be Macedonian in that context. But if I went overseas and someone asked me my nationality of course the answer is Australian.

Not sure if that makes sense to a dingo like yourself, but I guess I'm saying it's all relative and more about context than anything else.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I think it's not a lack of Australian patriotism, but a lack of reason or opportunity to show it.

Eg if you saw my dad watching a Socceroos game there is no way you couldnt say he is a patriot, but aside from things like that what other opportunities or reasons does he have to show his Australian patriotism?

Whereas with the ethnic stuff, it's an important part of people's identity in this multicultural society so there is more reason to show/celebrate it.

Or maybe another way to say/look at it, growing up in a very multicultural part of Melbourne/Australia, a pretty normal question was to ask people their 'nationality'. Now most of us would have been Australian, in fact for me it's technically my only nationality as it's the only country I hold citizenship to, but my answer would of course be Northern Greece in that context. But if I went overseas and someone asked me my nationality of course the answer is Australian.

Not sure if that makes sense to a dingo like yourself, but I guess I'm saying it's all relative and more about context than anything else.

Agreed

Edited by Baka1
only having a dig

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

Or maybe another way to say/look at it, growing up in a very multicultural part of Melbourne/Australia, a pretty normal question was to ask people their 'nationality'. Now most of us would have been Australian, in fact for me it's technically my only nationality as it's the only country I hold citizenship to, but my answer would of course be Macedonian in that context. But if I went overseas and someone asked me my nationality of course the answer is Australian.

So if Macedonia and Australia were on opposing sides of a war who's side would you be on?

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

So if Macedonia and Australia were on opposing sides of a war who's side would you be on?

Well I think that's a bit of a retarded question but if it was say a sports match or whatever then Australia. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tesla said:

Oh yeh i fully get that, it makes sense. I do find a lot of Australians tend to barrack against our sporting teams in favour of their ethnic team though. 
At the end of the day its about 1 out of 10 on the irk scale, i dont really care but its noted haha.

21 hours ago, Tesla said:

It's not really different anywhere else is it? When in the country where you live you will tend to identify yourself via an ethnicity or region or specific living place or birthplace, whereas outside that country you'll usually use your nationality - what is shown on your identity papers.

IMO bt50 is expressing his view that within Australia there's sometimes an excessive emphasis on ethnic background, i.e. something that in some circumstances may work to drive us apart rather than bring us together as a nation. Just as I feel there's an excessive emphasis on LGBTIQ+ at the present time.

One of the things that I like about being a City supporter is being with everyone else at AAMI all there for the same purpose, irrespective of any other differences that we may have.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's not really different anywhere else is it? When in the country where you live you will tend to identify yourself via an ethnicity or region or specific living place or birthplace, whereas outside that country you'll usually use your nationality - what is shown on your identity papers.

IMO bt50 is expressing his view that within Australia there's sometimes an excessive emphasis on ethnic background, i.e. something that in some circumstances may work to drive us apart rather than bring us together as a nation. Just as I feel there's an excessive emphasis on LGBTIQ+ at the present time.

One of the things that I like about being a City supporter is being with everyone else at AAMI all there for the same purpose, irrespective of any other differences that we may have.

Is the issue excessive emphasis on ethnic background, or is the issue viewing it as something divisive rather than something that's pretty inconsequential?

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Oh yeh i fully get that, it makes sense. I do find a lot of Australians tend to barrack against our sporting teams in favour of their ethnic team though. 
At the end of the day its about 1 out of 10 on the irk scale, i dont really care but its noted haha.

LOL - Or you could be like a Snapper and never support your NT or that of your Ethnic Background and follow England instead. :droy:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cadete said:

LOL - Or you could be like a Snapper and never support your NT or that of your Ethnic Background and follow England instead. :droy:

This is the same guy who is "a die hard united fan" who has been caught wearing a manchester city scarf. He isn't the person to use as an example of integrity haha.

• Like 2

On 21/03/2017 at 0:21 AM, Baka1 said:

Hellas is the greatest nation on earth. Everything in modern day society is from us. Forza Hellas. Yes I'm a patriotic cunt

I remember the days of being publicly patriotic of my heritage in front of others in my late teens and I cringe everytime I remember a moment of this. I even hate my forum name 

I'm sorry people

2 hours ago, Young Polak said:

I remember the days of being publicly patriotic of my heritage in front of others in my late teens and I cringe everytime I remember a moment of this. I even hate my forum name 

I'm sorry people

Tbf Belting out Hellas chants on school sports days with the fellas were always a laugh. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Now that is an unpopular opinion. If you're not trolling please explain. Cause I watched her Netflix special recently and I'm still convinced it turned me gay 

Yeah not serious but had to watch that with the missus the other night and oh boy, i can see why it got 1.5 half stars on netflix (i still think thats too high)