Melbourne Football

Whats the last movie you watched?

DutchPride

On 20/12/2015 at 9:30 AM, strider said:

Ending was shit but of course leaves it open for George Lucas to fill his pockets with the hard earned money of the middle-class consumer. Can't wait for the next one

You realize Lucas has zero to do with Star Wars now outside of a tokenistic spot on the credits? In fact, these films are only happening because Disney bought him out for over $1BillionUSD.

Disney have already proven they get star wars more than Lucas ever has since the 70's. Bring on the five more films that are planned for the next five years.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

You realize Lucas has zero to do with Star Wars now outside of a tokenistic spot on the credits? In fact, these films are only happening because Disney bought him out for over $1BillionUSD.

Disney have already proven they get star wars more than Lucas ever has since the 70's. Bring on the five more films that are planned for the next five years.

As long as they pump out 1 every year or so I'm good.

Not gonna wait near a decade for one, that's a bit spastic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20 December 2015 at 9:30 AM, strider said:

Yeah saw Star Wars 11:15 last night at Jam Factory gold class (I can't sit in a tiny chair for 2+ hours so I need my big biceps resting on nice suede). 

Was OK. I feel like it was shortened with a lot more action packed into the 2 and a bit hours. Isn't the usual run-time for Star Wars films close to 3 hours? 
I feel like films are generally getting shorter and shorter thanks to people having the attention span of a gold fish lately (growing cases of ADD internationally, etc) 

Saw every twist (there was only 1 really) coming. Ending was shit but of course leaves it open for George Lucas to fill his pockets with the hard earned money of the middle-class consumer. Can't wait for the next one

Can you please summarise?

your post was too long to read

Very disheartened.  Had planned on introducing Star Wars to my 6 year old son. Was going to watch all of them in the correct order and then catch the new one in the cinema. 

Started with episode IV got to about 30 minutes and he pulled the pin. We didn't even get to see Han Solo or Chewbacca. 

He basically said it was boring and he didn't find it interesting at all. I was nearly at the point of locking the door and telling him that he's not doing anything until he has finished watching the movie.

Kids!

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

Put him up for adoption now.

Or... best way to get a kid to like something: tell him he can stay up late to watch it.  I have a like of Formula 1 simply because my parents let me stay up to watch it.  I think Star Wars coming on TV once a year, giving me the chance to stay up and watch it might have helped me like it too. 

• Like 1

On 01/01/2016 at 6:42 AM, Jovan said:

Very disheartened.  Had planned on introducing Star Wars to my 6 year old son. Was going to watch all of them in the correct order and then catch the new one in the cinema. 

Started with episode IV got to about 30 minutes and he pulled the pin. We didn't even get to see Han Solo or Chewbacca. 

He basically said it was boring and he didn't find it interesting at all. I was nearly at the point of locking the door and telling him that he's not doing anything until he has finished watching the movie.

Kids!

Get him on the clone wars TV series. That'll fire up the love. 

• 1 month later...

The Revenant 7/10

Epically shot in the snow in USA, Canada and Argentina. DiCaprio deserves the oscar for his performance. He goes full bear grylls and that fight seen vs the bear is worth the price of admission to watch it on the big screen. Overall it was a bit drawn out dragged on at times but it's hard to ignore the scale of film and the fact it was all shot in these remote locations makes for great viewing. . 

15 hours ago, carlings said:

The Revenant 7/10

Epically shot in the snow in USA, Canada and Argentina. DiCaprio deserves the oscar for his performance. He goes full bear grylls and that fight seen vs the bear is worth the price of admission to watch it on the big screen. Overall it was a bit drawn out dragged on at times but it's hard to ignore the scale of film and the fact it was all shot in these remote locations makes for great viewing. . 

Agree with this. As drawn out as the basic storyline is, the cinematography more than makes up for it. Incredibly well shot

• 2 weeks later...

I am watching Goal right now. The main guys mate has just injured his leg and found out he wont play again. Now he is lecturing the superstar flatmate about wasting his life.

I didnt have high expectations for this movie but wow! This is fucking awful. Like indescribably bad. The only reason i haven't turned it off yet is because i know there will be some sick footage of St James Park when he finally plays a home game.

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I dont know what the budget was for goal but i imagine it would have been steep. What a pile of steaming diarrhea. I am in shock as to just how terrible that was.

I think i will keep the awful run of football related films going and watch Green Street Hooligans tomorrow night

Green Street Hooligans is bad? 

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 0:39 AM, KSK_47 said:

I dont know what the budget was for goal but i imagine it would have been steep. What a pile of steaming diarrhea. I am in shock as to just how terrible that was.

I think i will keep the awful run of football related films going and watch Green Street Hooligans tomorrow night

How did you go with Green Street Hooligans?  They made 2 sequels even worse. 

27 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I quite enjoyed it. Without the football stuff it would be pretty much a run of the mill rom com but its decent. Great book

He wrote the script himself for the film so it comes out well as an individual project as it has really nothing to do with the book... its funny that Colin Firth started doing the project as the TV series of Pride and Prejudice was turning him into a global superstar. It's my favourite football film.

As for the Agro ones, the only one's for me that are watchable are Away Days because it does very very well in the Costume department in regards to how the characters look, and in the film's settings and soundtrack... these are very important parts of these films and therefore make it watchable albeit the acting is rather poor. It also is the only Film that captures the Casual Movement's most interesting phase when it was merely a Subculture in one small region of the UK and not Country Wide Scene with a name.

The Newer Firm is funny for its language, the soundtrack is very good and a lot of attention has been spent on the costumes and some pretty fantastic rare vintage clothes can be spotted (In the scenes with large amounts of PPL) but its also annoying how a lot of mistakes have been made on something they spent so much time on as well... in this I am talking about the Full Tracksuit wearing. The plot is watchable if you are interested enough in the scene.

The others I would not be able to watch ever again... I barely got through FF and I turned of GSH about a half an hour in.

I probably sound like an idiot saying this stuff but I am sure a Mod's analysis of Quadrophenia would go for a lot longer and be much worse, in fact I am just lol'ing at thinking about some guy posting a whole essay on one of the 1000 scooters in the film's tail light being wrong.  

Edited by cadete

9 minutes ago, cadete said:

As for the Agro ones, the only one's for me that are watchable are Away Days because it does very very well in the Costume department in regards to how the characters look, and in the film's settings and soundtrack... these are very important parts of these films and therefore make it watchable albeit the acting is rather poor. It also is the only Film that captures the Casual Movement's most interesting phase when it was merely a Subculture in one small region of the UK and not Country Wide Scene with a name.

As a post-punk (particularly joy division) tragic the sound track of this film was on point.

27 minutes ago, cadete said:

He wrote the script himself for the film so it comes out well as an individual project as it has really nothing to do with the book... its funny that Colin Firth started doing the project as the TV series of Pride and Prejudice was turning him into a global superstar. It's my favourite football film.

The Newer Firm is funny for its language, the soundtrack is very good and a lot of attention has been spent on the costumes and some pretty fantastic rare vintage clothes can be spotted (In the scenes with large amounts of PPL) but its also annoying how a lot of mistakes have been made on something they spent so much time on as well... in this I am talking about the Full Tracksuit wearing. The plot is watchable if you are interested enough in the scene.

The others I would not be able to watch ever again... I barely got through FF and I turned of GSH about a half an hour in.

I probably sound like an idiot saying this stuff but I am sure a Mod's analysis of Quadrophenia would go for a lot longer and be much worse, in fact I am just lol'ing at thinking about some guy posting a whole essay on one of the 1000 scooters in the film's tail light being wrong.  

I know it's technically not a football film, but surely you give 'The Business' a good rating?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

As a post-punk (particularly joy division) tragic the sound track of this film was on point.

Best part of the Soundtrack is clearly when that Magazine songs plays as they leave the train station

Just now, AyeCee said:

I know it's technically not a football film, but surely you give 'The Business' a good rating?

The clothes are alright but I found the actual film worth watching... but not something I would consider watching again.

I thought Green Street was on Stan but it isnt. As funny as it sounds, I am not going to go to the trouble of downloading it, so I watched Midnight Cowboy instead because I havnt seen it and its one of those famous movies that are always referenced in pop culture. It is really strange. Its one of those ones I can picture an English or film studies teacher loving and making you write huge essays about the symbolism in the dialogue, when really it felt like just a bunch of "stuff" that happened. 

Edited by KSK_47

3 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I thought Green Street was on Stan but it isnt. As funny as it sounds, I am not going to go to the trouble of downloading it, so I watched Midnight Cowboy instead because I havnt seen it and its one of those famous movies that are always referenced in pop culture. It is really strange. Its one of those ones I can picture an English or film studies teacher loving and making you write huge essays about the symbolism in the dialogue, when really it felt like just a bunch of "stuff" that happened. 

It's pretty dated now and from what I remember when watching it in 90s wasn't that great but every second person say it's a much watch movie. It did win best picture not that means much. 

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

UOTIH: GSH is a good movie. The sequel is fucking dogshit though.

You must be part of the SSE as well if you like a hool movie like that :droy: 

Nah I'm just kidding. 

Tbh I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. It's more that people are worried what others will think of them if they admit it.