Melbourne Football

ACL 23/24 : Zhejiang vs City | Wednesday 4th October | 11PM Kick Off

Zanty

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't want to tell you lads that they are third in the China Super League and thumped Shenzhen 5-0 in their last match.

They have four foreigners including a Croatian playing for them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhejiang_Professional_F.C. Ain't going to be easy the way we are playing.

Don't worry, we'll find a way to bottle it...

• Haha 2

Will be interesting to see how strong Zhejiang play as they will have to rotate with this game being in-between 2 league games for them and they only have 3 games left with a chance to secure "Asian Champions League Elite" football still. Against Buriram they played a strong forward line but rotated the defence & midfield which shows why they lost 4-1, so will be interesting to see how they line up against us.

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Will be interesting to see how strong Zhejiang play as they will have to rotate with this game being in-between 2 league games for them and they only have 3 games left with a chance to secure "Asian Champions League Elite" football still. Against Buriram they played a strong forward line but rotated the defence & midfield which shows why they lost 4-1, so will be interesting to see how they line up against us.

Be nice to know what we are doing about the match too...little things like the squad, Matt Leckie's injury progress, where they're training, climate (it is of course early Autumn there)... Zhejiang is the name of the Province, and they play in the city of Hangzhou (used to be known as Hangchow) where there is the beautiful West Lake, a population of over 10m, and their stadium holds 51,000.... Tim Cahill played for the club before he signed with us. Little things.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Be nice to know what we are doing about the match too...little things like the squad, Matt Leckie's injury progress, where they're training, climate (it is of course early Autumn there)... Zhejiang is the name of the Province, and they play in the city of Hangzhou (used to be known as Hangchow) where there is the beautiful West Lake, a population of over 10m, and their stadium holds 51,000.... Tim Cahill played for the club before he signed with us. Little things.

They never usually reveal the squads for ACL, I guess they want to keep the element of surprise alive and well. Judging by some players Instagram's they only arrived a few hours ago. 

10 hours ago, Zanty said:

They never usually reveal the squads for ACL, I guess they want to keep the element of surprise alive and well. Judging by some players Instagram's they only arrived a few hours ago. 

I wouldn't worry about what Zhejiang knows. They know the squad.  They know who checked in at Melbourne Airport. Every passenger entering China has to submit a health declaration no more than 24 hours before arrival to obtain approval to enter.  Even Chinese citizens. They know what you and I had for breakfast. It's just that I don't know what you had, and vice versa.

What an absolute load of shit from Rado. Whose fault is it that we haven't played "pre-season" matches? We used to play quite a few, even two against other A-League sides.

Don't try to tell fans that it's all a bit of surprise. Oh dear, they've played 27 matches. Oh dear. Harden up City. 

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/20231004-acl-preview

So pleased they've been able to include something about the Asian Champions League somewhere amongst all the crap about the women...

Geez that's pretty weak commentary about the Defence and nothing about the midfield and forwards who haven't really been supplying much in the way of shots at goal. Interesting that Galloway apparently was injured in preseason at least that explains one of our Forum queries. Hopefully sees him have some time this game

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IssySG said:

Not staying awake for Rado Ball personally, but up the city all the same

Same story here. Guessing there will be YouTube highlights uploaded by the AFC in the morning. 

Edited by haz

I'll watch the score coming in and if it's close might stay up until the end. We've just got to get the ball in the net more often. I think that's the key. The defence concedes because we're farting around with the ball too much with the high press and are making ourselves ripe for the quick counter-attack Both Ventforet and Sydney took 3-4 passes where we take 20 and still get nowhere.

Beats me why our coaches persist with the same plan that doesn't work. Defies logic.

I'll have a beer and periodically check the score. Always hopeful but I can't see a lot of firepower there. We've got nothing really on the left wing. Both Talbot and Galloway on the bench. Not seen Mazzeo 's name before either. Need to score first to win it I reckon.

Ventforet and Burimam are 0-0 with just a few minutes to play. A win tonight would see us well-placed.

No, Ventforet have just scored.

Long balls and can’t string 3 short passes together. Feels like every attack by them can result in a goal. Midfield is getting outmuscled. Somehow 2-1 up. Urgakovic already on a yellow to correct a 4m wrong short pass.

Edited by Mr MO