Melbourne Football

Season 2023/24

mattyh001

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@MHFC-FAN Thank you. Gosh, most of those subs I haven't heard of.

Yeah all good. Only recognised Beach, Schreiber and Durakovic. Those 3 may get some gametime this season. But I believe Lopane and Caputo should theoretically get the most minutes off the bench. Who knows, Lopane might win a starting spot sometime this season. 

Actually come to think of it a lot of these young blokes should be starting and playing quite a bit with midweek ACL fixtures coming up...

52 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah all good. Only recognised Beach, Schreiber and Durakovic. Those 3 may get some gametime this season. But I believe Lopane and Caputo should theoretically get the most minutes off the bench. Who knows, Lopane might win a starting spot sometime this season. 

Actually come to think of it a lot of these young blokes should be starting and playing quite a bit with midweek ACL fixtures coming up...

I'd like to see more of Max Caputo; he has different strengths to Maclaren

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

So are Maclaren, Leckie and Nabbout on extended holidays? Or have I missed something? Understand it was only a friendly, but I thought you'd get some competitive minutes into the legs, like we have with the senior midfielders.

You would assume that they'll feature in the cup game on Sunday?

57 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

So are Maclaren, Leckie and Nabbout on extended holidays? Or have I missed something? Understand it was only a friendly, but I thought you'd get some competitive minutes into the legs, like we have with the senior midfielders.

Surprise omissions, as were Souprayen and Galloway. I imagine Behich is not here yet.

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I imagine Behich is not here yet.

Behich is definitely in town and has been training. He did his social media video at CFA Casey and there has been at least one or two pics of him training iirc.

I never read too much into friendly line ups fwiw. How we line up against Oakleigh at the weekend will be much more telling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, citypool said:

They are gonna release the fixtures this week.

What sort of matches do we want to see?

I assume it will be grand final replay round 1. So ideally CCM at home. Hopefully no uneven fixtures for any club ie: multiple home or away games in a row. As even as possible to home away each week.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IssySG said:

1 - 0 win to the City

Max Caputo with the goal in the 56th minute on the back of Schreiber’s good work according to Melbourne City’s twitter.

17 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

That's a near full strength starting 11! 

Our so-called starting XI is struggling to score a goal from open play...

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Our so-called starting XI is struggling to score a goal from open play...

Its a pre season game, I dont see the point of sweating stuff like this.

If we're four games into the ALM season and have only scored 1 goal, then its time to ring the alarm bells.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

When haven't we been in 'underwhelming form' leading into a season? Definitely the past 3 league winning seasons we've been poor in the pre-season....

I just feel that it's too easy to rationalise and say that there is no cause for at least commenting on form so far. We just got over Oakleigh to win our cup match, and needed two penalties in the process. 

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I just feel that it's too easy to rationalise and say that there is no cause for at least commenting on form so far. We just got over Oakleigh to win our cup match, and needed two penalties in the process. 

If we get flogged by mariners round 1 I'll be concerned. For now not worth getting stressed over...

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If we get flogged by mariners round 1 I'll be concerned. For now not worth getting stressed over...

If we get flogged by Roar I'll be very worried, Mariners not so much. They look to have picked up where they left off and recruited well. They'll be our main competitors this season.

4 minutes ago, moops said:

If we get flogged by Roar I'll be very worried, Mariners not so much. They look to have picked up where they left off and recruited well. They'll be our main competitors this season.

Hahaha yeah true that... Prob Mariners, Adelaide and perhaps WSW as the main competitors?

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/20230824-2324-fixture-announced

The 2023-2024 Melbourne City fixture list.

Some knee jerk takeaways:
- No derby until the Christmas Derby
- We travel to Perth on the 9th of December and then don't play outside of Melbourne again until the 21st of Jan - playing 5 games in Melbourne in that time (with one away to WU)

Our 4 triple up opponents are Victory, WU, CCM and Perth with having 2 away games against the interstate duo. 

Not bad in terms of opponents, but ideally would have 2 away games against the Victorian teams to minimise travel, especially 2 trips to Perth isn't ideal 

Here are the actual details. https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/20230824-2324-fixture-announced

I went through this for the ACL Group Match windows:
Third match: 23-26  October. We play WU at home on 21,  AU away on 28.

Fourth match: 6-9 November: Sydney at home on 3, Macarthur home on 11.

Fifth match: 27-30 November: Wellington away on 25, Newcastle away on 2 Dec.

Sixth match: 11-14 December: Perth away on 9, CCM at home on 17.

Going to be one hell of a ride.

• Like 1