Melbourne Football

Season 2023/24

mattyh001

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Johnson was part of Football Australia, not the APL. We are talking about the APL at the moment. The Age reported that FA is cashed up and could easily sustain the A-League.

Sources tell CODE Sports that this will not happen. The more likely scenario is Silver Lake upping its investment in the APL through shares, with the $140 million in equity due for repayment from 2029.

Football Australia, though, is ready to lean in. Once-frozen relations between the two governing bodies are thawing at a rapid rate, due to the realisation that the A-Leagues are so crucial to developing the next generation of Socceroos and Matildas.

“It might have been frosty a few years ago. Not now,” FA chief executive James Johnson says.

“We have to support the clubs.

“Our role is being an ear, a supporting body. If there are ways through broadcast deals, sponsorship deals, where we can support the A League, we are willing to do that.”

https://www.codesports.com.au/football/saving-football-part-iii-rescuing-the-aleagues-from-existential-crisis-after-140m-fortune-blown/news-story/808d1cbc4a243927d1a119f4e1ec93ae?amp

At executive level, Johnson regularly catches up with Garcia, the two men having previously worked together with City Football Group (owner of Manchester City).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, citypool said:

So if you read this message I'm going to assume you're still following the a league finals.

Who are you going for and why? 

I hope to see Central Coast pull off the treble. They survive on a sniff of an oily rag, and still show the rest of the clubs how its done. Smug and arrogant Melbourne City might care to go and have a look and see how...

• Like 4

My preference, and only slightly, is for CCM but I wouldn't mind seeing WP winning it either.

I am enjoying seeing Nisbett and Doka play for CCM. For WP Paulson has been huge. But above that both clubs play as teams. Where as MC relies on Leckie or Aslan, MV on Machan and Izzo, neither CCM nor WP have big name players. They are being coached right. SFC have a more even spread of talent, and their young players are good to very good, Tufuk Ulay has them playing as a team.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Leame_Citeh said:

PheonixBall is so boring wow

We're terrible but at least it's entertaining to watch city games as a neutral or casual

Not sure what happened to their usual game plan. They were really off - except for Paulson.

"Sources tell CODE Sports that this will not happen. The more likely scenario is Silver Lake upping its investment in the APL through shares, with the $140 million in equity due for repayment from 2029."

I can't see any way that APL can start to repay Silver Lake in 2029.... 

17 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Not sure what happened to their usual game plan. They were really off - except for Paulson.

Think worried about their horrendous record at aami I am sure will be a different game plan next week.....well can't get any worse besides scoring an own goal

Apparently three ALM players arrested this morning for match fixing....

Just now, fensaddler said:

Apparently three ALM players arrested this morning for match fixing....

All the arrests in Sydney so at least unlikely to be our players.

6 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I guess it goes without saying that if there is any truth to this, none of them should ever play in the ALM again.

Depending on the court case they ought to be banned for life from any sporting competition worldwide. Baccus is the second player named.

The three players are Davila, Kearyn Baccus and Clayton Lewis. They have been charged and released on bail. NSW Police are looking for a fourth player who is believed not to be in NSW at the moment.

The punishment for these sorts of offences is a moot point. Ivan Toney of Brentford in the EPL was suspended by the FA/EPL for the first six months of the current season for betting on EPL matches. The most notorious case I know of is that of Bruce Grobelaar, who although not convicted of match fixing, sued The Sun newspaper for alleging that he, along with two other players, was guilty of same, sued the newspaper for damages and was awarded same. However The Sun appealed and the House of Lords reversed the award of damages, and awarded costs to the newspaper, saying that there was sufficient evidence of dishonesty. Grobelaar was bankrupted by the award against him, but did not retire from the game and went on to be a GK coach.

I agree that anyone involved in fixing in any sport ought to be banned for life, likewise the use of drugs, but there doesn't seem to be any real agreement on this AFAIK. Is it worse than politicians and public servants who are found to have acted improperly but seemingly are rarely charged with any offence? I guess it's like any facet of life in which money has too much influence - it's going to happen if the reward is attractive enough.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The three players are Davila, Kearyn Baccus and Clayton Lewis. They have been charged and released on bail. NSW Police are looking for a fourth player who is believed not to be in NSW at the moment.

The punishment for these sorts of offences is a moot point. Ivan Toney of Brentford in the EPL was suspended by the FA/EPL for the first six months of the current season for betting on EPL matches. The most notorious case I know of is that of Bruce Grobelaar, who although not convicted of match fixing, sued The Sun newspaper for alleging that he, along with two other players, was guilty of same, sued the newspaper for damages and was awarded same. However The Sun appealed and the House of Lords reversed the award of damages, and awarded costs to the newspaper, saying that there was sufficient evidence of dishonesty. Grobelaar was bankrupted by the award against him, but did not retire from the game and went on to be a GK coach.

I agree that anyone involved in fixing in any sport ought to be banned for life, likewise the use of drugs, but there doesn't seem to be any real agreement on this AFAIK. Is it worse than politicians and public servants who are found to have acted improperly but seemingly are rarely charged with any offence? I guess it's like any facet of life in which money has too much influence - it's going to happen if the reward is attractive enough.

Well they are saying that got paid 10k which is peanuts for a professional sportsman so the award isn't attractive there could be more to the story 

8 minutes ago, citypool said:

Well they are saying that got paid 10k which is peanuts for a professional sportsman so the award isn't attractive there could be more to the story 

Oh, I don't know about that. I wouldn't think too many players are on $270,000 per season in the A-League. So it would be more than a week's wage...

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There was a betting incident with the Victorian Southern Stars FC in 2013 and the then FFA begun a worldwide ban for life:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-15/six-charged-over-alleged-soccer-match-fixing-ring/4959300

I am not sure what eventually happened but it does seem possible.

So Southern Stars changed their name to Dingley Stars, the British players involved received lifetime bans from the sport by FIFA and the coach was jailed for three years followed by deportation. Not clear whether the coach and other two players received lifetime bans.

I suspect that it is only a dream, but sometimes dreams come true. I don't think I would care if we didn't win a trophy - just to see those two playing for us would be enough. I don't think there'd be any concern about crowd numbers either....

• Like 2

It would have been satisfying if we had won at least something other than the big booby prize.

But well done to Central Coast, living off the smell of an oily rag and showing everyone how it's done with team spirit and good team football. Phoenix too. Maybe Petrillo's Old Boys F.C. would like to take a bit of notice? And don't forget that Victory will still play Asian football next season too.

And I never though I'd want to see Manchester United win anything, but how sweet to see Guardiola's boring mob get dumped in the FA Cup.

Roll on next season. But my biggest fear now is that PK will take over at Victory...

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It would have been satisfying if we had won at least something other than the big booby prize.

But well done to Central Coast, living off the smell of an oily rag and showing everyone how it's done with team spirit and good team football. Phoenix too. Maybe Petrillo's Old Boys F.C. would like to take a bit of notice? And don't forget that Victory will still play Asian football next season too.

And I never though I'd want to see Manchester United win anything, but how sweet to see Guardiola's boring mob get dumped in the FA Cup.

Roll on next season. But my biggest fear now is that PK will take over at Victory...

It would be a kick in the guts but my biggest fear is that the APL goes bust or MV goes bust.

24 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

It would be a kick in the guts but my biggest fear is that the APL goes bust or MV goes bust.

Both are certainly possible.

Newcastle are still on the brink, Canberra needed the ACT government to get over the line, and as I read it Victory will need some sort of bale-out from somewhere to survive the 777Partners debacle that has already seen Bonza Airlines collapse.

I have absolutely no idea whether APL can survive or not. Again I think it will depend on what steps Silver Lake take. Their money is an investment, not a gift, and they want a return on that investment one way or another. My gut feeling is that eventually the League will return to the direct management of FFA.

17 minutes ago, Zanty said:

nah they won't, Australia only has 2 spots in Asia next season, one in the ACL Elite and one in the ACL 2.

https://footyrankings.com/crank2022/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024–25_AFC_Champions_League_Elite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024–25_AFC_Champions_League_Two

So it's the winners of the Cup and the Premiers only? Who won the Cup this season - I've forgotten!

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So it's the winners of the Cup and the Premiers only? Who won the Cup this season - I've forgotten!

So Central Coast qualify twice for the ACL Elite, and Sydney won the Cup. (Answering my own question).

So Petrillo's Old Boys F.C. better start treating the Cup competition seriously from now on.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

So Central Coast qualify twice for the ACL Elite

It actually would have been better if Mariners won the AFC Cup and another team won the premiers plate cause we would have 3 teams in Asia then which would help with the coefficient but oh well.

Vidmar won a Thai Cup (essentially their Australia Cup) with BG Pathum so I am hoping he can replicate that here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The more I read about all this the bigger my disappointment that we completely stuffed up our two opportunities in the ACL.

Let's be honest, we were never going to win either ACL campaign. If we were in the AFC cup like the CCM and Macarthur we could have definitely won that competition...this season was definitely a massive let down after the highs of the previous 3 seasons!

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Let's be honest, we were never going to win either ACL campaign. If we were in the AFC cup like the CCM and Macarthur we could have definitely won that competition...this season was definitely a massive let down after the highs of the previous 3 seasons!

I hope we all realize that have we missed out on significant prize money not getting out of the ACL group stages?

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I hope we all realize that have we missed out on significant prize money not getting out of the ACL group stages?

The club has missed out on a significant amount of money but I am content that CCM are getting it because they are at least doing the right thing with the youth development and community engagement unlike Melbourne City (at least the community engagement part).

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

not really, highly known clubs lose money playing in the ACL unless they make the semi final.

Luckily from next season they are tripling the prize pool.

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Yes I realise that. It should have been a minimum requirement to get out of the group stage... the Mariners have definitely cashed in with their AFC Cup!

14 minutes ago, Zanty said:

not really, highly known clubs lose money playing in the ACL unless they make the semi final.

Luckily from next season they are tripling the prize pool.

I think I disagree here. In the context of the League, it would seem that any money is significant. For example, we could save $1.5m per season by scrapping the much-hated VAR. 

But more importantly, the club let us down in the ACL. Because CFG is run primarily as a business and secondly as a sportswashing exercise, the club doesn't understand the unwritten contract it has with the fans. (Neither does APL for that matter, and we all know who one of the prime movers in APL is.)

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1