Melbourne Football

Season 2023/24

mattyh001

23 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I would probably be more upset about the prize money if the club didn't make close to $5 million AUD in transfer revenue in the off season.

My values cannot trade profit for loyalty.

It is forgetting loyalty to the fans that has brought APL to the brink of collapse. It is forgetting loyalty to the fans that sees the drift of support away from Melbourne City.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zanty said:

not really, highly known clubs lose money playing in the ACL unless they make the semi final.

Luckily from next season they are tripling the prize pool.

Yeah nah, for clubs with our budget winning a couple of games in the ACL is not just a write off as you make it sound like.

Below an ACL prize money from 2021, it’s likely higher in the recent seasons.

image.thumb.png.9996582d54de5847b60fd28e4528b831.png

• Like 1

I would have said that for an A-League club that is prize money that is not to be sneezed at. Win all three matches in your Group for $150,000. And if Central Coast have pocketed $4m+ for winning the Cup then they're doing very well indeed, and they get the chance to do the same thing next season too. A lot better than relying on transfer fees...

I'm getting depressed reading this stuff.

4 minutes ago, Zanty said:

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/asian-champions-league-too-expensive-for-clubs-says-new-report/

recommend giving this a read then, will probably change your mind.

No it doesn't.

As always, the fans don't get a mention. We're not even considered as a "stakeholder."

Whilst this report was commissioned to evaluate the format of the ACL, the chief recommendation is the establishment of a genuine partnership between the players, clubs, leagues and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), for the benefit of all stakeholders in Asian football.

6 hours ago, Zanty said:

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/asian-champions-league-too-expensive-for-clubs-says-new-report/

recommend giving this a read then, will probably change your mind.

No that doesn’t change my mind.

Playing in the ACL and winning games is just better for the clubs financials than playing in the ACL and not winning games, sorry.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Playing in the ACL and winning games is just beter for the clubs financials than playing in the ACL and not winning games, sorry.

not really cause the money City got from the prize money was less than how much they had to pay for hosting ACL games.

37 minutes ago, Zanty said:

not really cause the money City got from the prize money was less than how much they had to pay for hosting ACL games.

How do you work that out? The amount we had to pay to host a game depends on our stadium arrangements, not the AFC. As I read it the last column is the subsidy a club receives from the AFC for travelling per match they compete in (presumably away matches). So we received $135,000 for our three away games in the Group.

Of our six matches we won two and drew three. Prize money $130,000. Total received $265,000.

And the whole thing is in US$.

You're probably correct that it cost more than that to host three home games. But that's because we didn't/don't have our own home ground. But I can't accept that because we might lose money it isn't worth entering the competitions. It costs us a hell of a lot to lease AAMI for League games too - are you suggesting that we wind the club up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zanty said:

Ah so you are saying don’t play football at all because that’s better for the books.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

are you suggesting that we wind the club up?

not at all I am just stating the facts that the ACL (before next season) has never been a competition to enter for prize money and just makes clubs loose more money than they already do in the ALM, unless they make the semi final which is a hard task.

Luckily next season with the increased prize money clubs should start making a profit playing in the competition and it will become an alternative to player sales.

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Ah so you are saying don’t play football at all because that’s better for the books.

Precisely. You balance the books that way. Beeching tried that with the British railway system. Don't run trains, then you don't make a loss.

Of course we could play in a little league all by ourselves that leads nowhere - such as the AFL...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Precisely. You balance the books that way. Beeching tried that with the British railway system. Don't run trains, then you don't make a loss.

Of course we could play in a little league all by ourselves that leads nowhere - such as the AFL...

This echoes the hospital episode on Yes Minister.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Another two players in the betting scandal including ex city player Matthew Millar https://www.aapnews.com.au/news/a-league-player-to-front-court-over-betting-scandal/QBYwYSrnZ

It may be Macarthur, but I feel that these players have let all football players, clubs, and fans in this country down. Why must we keep shooting ourselves in the foot like this?

The administrators such as Townsend trash whatever traditions we do have, and now these idiots trash the integrity of the game.

How many other matches have been affected by this stuff? Has the whole season been compromised?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

How many other matches have been affected by this stuff? Has the whole season been compromised?

The amount of money that gets gambled on each match down here there would be players all over Australia crapping themselves

Perhaps a controversial view, but...

To my mind the result of that match should be declared null and void, and no points or goals awarded. This would leave both Victory and Sydney on 41 points, and with Sydney having 12 wins to Victory's 10, Sydney should finish third and Victory fourth. Thus the whole finals series should be replayed for it to have any validity. 

It also makes me shudder at the possibility of other matches being fixed. Ours for example - all those inexplicable last gasp goals conceded. The match against Macarthur where we came from nowhere to finish 3-3, one being a penalty. VAR decisions?

An A-League season best forgotten for many reasons, but a taint on such a magnificent season for Central Coast.

Edited by jw1739

4 hours ago, HughJass said:

Another two players in the betting scandal including ex city player Matthew Millar https://www.aapnews.com.au/news/a-league-player-to-front-court-over-betting-scandal/QBYwYSrnZ

I don't recall Millar playing for Melbourne City.

4 hours ago, citypool said:

Bloody idiots 

Trying hard to think of the motivation, and yes greed comes into it. But I think that Clayton Lewis and Keanu Baccus would not have been on huge coin all of their professional career, so they may not even have enough to buy a house. Ditto Millar. If Jed Drew is involved (and at this stage there is no indication that the police are investigating him), I have no idea as to his motivation. As for Davila, I have no idea - he did play in Europe and Mexico so he would have earned enough to be able to have a settled life in Mexico.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It may be Macarthur, but I feel that these players have let all football players, clubs, and fans in this country down. Why must we keep shooting ourselves in the foot like this?

The administrators such as Townsend trash whatever traditions we do have, and now these idiots trash the integrity of the game.

Well, one fixed match compromises the competition. The question is to what extent. I don't think that any CCM matches is affected so the results for CCM remain valid as far as I'm concerned. Other clubs, through no fault of their own would have been impacted.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I don't recall Millar playing for Melbourne City.

Trying hard to think of the motivation, and yes greed comes into it. But I think that Clayton Lewis and Keanu Baccus would not have been on huge coin all of their professional career, so they may not even have enough to buy a house. Ditto Millar. If Jed Drew is involved (and at this stage there is no indication that the police are investigating him), I have no idea as to his motivation. As for Davila, I have no idea - he did play in Europe and Mexico so he would have earned enough to be able to have a settled life in Mexico.

Well, one fixed match compromises the competition. The question is to what extent. I don't think that any CCM matches is affected so the results for CCM remain valid as far as I'm concerned. Other clubs, through no fault of their own would have been impacted.

Matt Millar was with City 2015-16.

If you declare the result of that one match null and void in terms of points and goals, Victory would lose a point and therefore because wins count ahead of goal difference Sydney would finish third in the League and Victory fourth. Thus the entire finals series was invalid.

Even if that was the only match that was affected, whilst the Premiership might have been the same, the Championship, which whether or not we purists like it, means a lot to the traditional Australian way of finishing a season, and is still a recognised trophy by the league and FFA, was invalid.

It's not only the actual result that compromises the competition, coaches and players respond to results throughout the season, and one fixed match can cascade right through the league. Like an infection moving through a population. If you get it at the start of your final year at school maybe it's not so important as if you get it a week before you take your VCE examinations.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Actually, the whole season was invalidated by APL's decision, part-way though, to change the method that would differentiate between two teams equal on points in the final rankings, from goal difference to number of wins.

Playing for a draw is a perfectly acceptable tactic in matches in certain circumstances.  I can think of injuries, relative positions on the table and other circumstances where it is prudent to adopt defensive tactics as much to deny the opponent two points as to gain one for yourself.

So if you're going to change this sort of thing, it should be done before a season starts rather than after it has started.

APL has stuffed up almost everything it has touched.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.B. Cooper said:

This whole scandal is terrible but let’s see what comes out in the trial. They’ll need a lot more evidence than “you got a stupid yellow card”. Accusations are easy. Proof is hard.

Agreed. It will depend on what precisely the charges are, the evidence, and the standard of proof required to determine guilt or otherwise.

Charges are occasionally withdrawn in all sorts of cases, but a shadow of doubt remains.

Remember the Grobelaar/Fashanu case?

49 minutes ago, citypool said:

New season starting 19/10

That's the A-League season. We'll be involved in the Cup before that, and I want to see us really perform there to convince me we're serious about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

That's the A-League season. We'll be involved in the Cup before that, and I want to see us really perform there to convince me we're serious about it.

Should be winning the Aus Cup as a minimum heading into the new season...

• Like 1

Australia Cup is fantastic but I'd like to see it get bigger. Everyone bangs on about promotion And relegation we don't have it but we have the cup so every club should be trying to bring fans to the ground.

Npl teams should be aiming for 2k a league teams about 6k 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Australia Cup is fantastic but I'd like to see it get bigger. Everyone bangs on about promotion And relegation we don't have it but we have the cup so every club should be trying to bring fans to the ground.

Npl teams should be aiming for 2k a league teams about 6k 

I completely agree. And perhaps it's just me, but I don't get the feeling that we take it it seriously enough. Last season was a perfect example. We went behind after just 40 seconds against Oakleigh, and didn't pull level until late in the game. It was an omen for a very disappointing season all round.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Young Socceroos (U20) drew 3-3 against Uruguay in Montevideo... We're up 3-0, then conceded a 95th min penalty for Uruguay to equalise and Uruguay won the post-match penalty shootout. 

Caputo with two goals and Badolato with one. 

All without Hall, Lino, Bonetig, Skoko, Younis, Toure and Irankunda.