Melbourne Football

Ruon Tongyik

jeffplz

3 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

The next .......mitchinson?

With one game he has surpassed Chapman. Easily. Chapmans been shit all season. Time for Tongyik to get a regular run. 

Edit: And Mitchinson was always shit. Could only dream of such a performance. 

Edited by n i k o

6 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Did a couple crap passes at the start but was easily forgotten with that performance. Bright future for the kid if he continues like this.

I thought his passing was good, in the most part. Stats at the end where something like 52/56 completed passes. 

4 hours ago, Defibrillator said:

If Malik is available for next week do you take a risk on this guy, or let Malik return? Not an insignificant game coming up................

I think if Malik is fit he plays,  he is the best of the options to partner jakobsen IMO.  But Tongyik went past Chapman last night and will play more games this season 

• Like 1

After 2 games he has had 1 good game and 1 poor game. Don't understand the hype so far? Victory he was a weak-link and was at fault for both goals and allowed Berisha another 5 clear cut chances with poor positioning. To me it looked as though players were avoiding passing to him, particularly Bouzanis. Watched him play youth a couple of weeks ago and he gave a penalty away and looked average. On another note Chapman scored and looked solid that game. I understand blooding players and giving them a chance but JVS shouldn't have played him against Victory particularly in a back 3. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, melby said:

After 2 games he has had 1 good game and 1 poor game. Don't understand the hype so far? Victory he was a weak-link and was at fault for both goals and allowed Berisha another 5 clear cut chances with poor positioning. To me it looked as though players were avoiding passing to him, particularly Bouzanis. Watched him play youth a couple of weeks ago and he gave a penalty away and looked average. On another note Chapman scored and looked solid that game. I understand blooding players and giving them a chance but JVS shouldn't have played him against Victory particularly in a back 3. 

What do you expect playing him in a back 3 in literally his 2nd game of football. Joke 

3 hours ago, Chris p said:

What do you expect playing him in a back 3 in literally his 2nd game of football. Joke 

Add on to that his CB partner being Rose.  Plus I'd be missing those chances too if I had a big Sudanese man breathing down the back of my neck.

The kid has potential and he looks to be someone that we can persist with, but I agree that there were issues with his game.  Quite simply, if Jacobson was playing, the Tards would not have scored their 1st goal. 

I still cant believe that JVS was prepared to throw him centrally in a back 3 in just his 2nd game, and in such a big game.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

The kid has potential and he looks to be someone that we can persist with, but I agree that there were issues with his game.  Quite simply, if Jacobson was playing, the Tards would not have scored their 1st goal. 

I still cant believe that JVS was prepared to throw him centrally in a back 3 in just his 2nd game, and in such a big game.

To be fair if he didn't play, there would have been whines of why didn't he play. But I agree his first game looked okay at best didn't warrant starting him as the central player in a back 3. If Jacobsen plays we would have won the game that simple.

1 hour ago, Deeming said:

Had a great first game got lots of praise, probably got a big head and a bit of overconfidence then played an ordinary game. Happens all the time to players.
He needs to stay in the team for 5-6 games to see where he really is at.

I met this guy at AU when he was part of their NYL team. He is huge but definitely not a big head. just doesnt strike me as one to get a head swell. but agree that he needs to be consistently good to deserve a starting eleven spot each week. 

On 21/12/2016 at 4:53 PM, Jacques Le Cube said:

I thought he was woeful. If Chapman or Malik put in a performance like that I don't think the forum would be as complimentary as it has been for Tongyik.

Tongyik has 2 senior appearances in the HAL while Chappy has 55 and Malik 124. So I'd cut Tongyik some slack given his lack of experience and having to go out and implement our muppet gaffer's game plan.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Embee said:

I thought he was decent against the Tards given the circumstances to be honest, not particularly good but not bad either.

That being said, there is a major case of #Yoof syndrome currently taking place in this thread.

Because we refuse to drag a bloke over coals in his second game ? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, japiedog said:

The kid has promise, but he has his defiencies

his turning speed will be tested by a good striker, I mean Berisha showed him up on Saturday night

He does. I lay the Tards' first goal against him, as I do the second against Kamau. But both of those are fundamentally player management issues. In the case of Tongyik we had to throw him into a critical match because our CB recruiting was inadequate - Chapman seems completely bereft of confidence and if Jakobsen is unavailable we are in dire trouble. With Kamau the guy simply cannot last more than 70 minutes at the very most and should have been subbed off earlier.

31.9%.

16 hours ago, japiedog said:

getting of lightly

did some okay things, but could have done a lot more to try and stop the first goal

when Manny got shinned, big Ruon just stood in the box and let the Glory player pick out Castro

He should have come out to shut down some space

That goal typified how weak we are when a team, like Perth, employ the counter attacking game. The problem starts with Muscat getting skinned and then exposing the back three. That carelessness from Muscat instantly creates a 3 on 3 and Ruon is left exposed 5-10m from the attacker trying to protect a direct run on goal.

31103793714_ebba90e08b_n.jpg

And then within a couple of strides, about 1 or 2 seconds, we have Castro joining the attack to create a 4 on 3 situation.

31906671266_a950f9a5be_n.jpg

Brattan fails to block off Castro who then goes on to score. IMO the problem starts with Muscat's poor decision and then Brattan's failure to track Castro. This is how Perth exploited us first time around and how Brisbane used the same tactic against us.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

That goal typified how weak we are when a team, like Perth, employ the counter attacking game. The problem starts with Muscat getting skinned and then exposing the back three. That carelessness from Muscat instantly creates a 3 on 3 and Ruon is left exposed 5-10m from the attacker trying to protect a direct run on goal.

31103793714_ebba90e08b_n.jpg

And then within a couple of strides, about 1 or 2 seconds, we have Castro joining the attack to create a 4 on 3 situation.

31906671266_a950f9a5be_n.jpg

Brattan fails to block off Castro who then goes on to score. IMO the problem starts with Muscat's poor decision and then Brattan's failure to track Castro. This is how Perth exploited us first time around and how Brisbane used the same tactic against us.

Spot on.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we've over-rated this guy. He's not ready for the A-League, not alongside Malik at any rate.

I agree100%.

I'm trying not to be too hard on him, as he is young and inexperienced, but there is a lot more to defending well than being tidy on the ball.

I expect Sorensen spends most of the game telling him and Malik what to do.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I agree100%.

I'm trying not to be too hard on him, as he is young and inexperienced, but there is a lot more to defending well than being tidy on the ball.

I expect Sorensen spends most of the game telling him and Malik what to do.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we've over-rated this guy. He's not ready for the A-League, not alongside Malik at any rate.

Like I mentioned above I believe he has the potential, through how mature he is on the ball. But positioning and reading of the game comes with experience, which Ruon has only a little. Add to that gaining experience next to Malik (Imo worst 'senior' in the team) won't do him any good.

People have to rememebr, what other options do we have back there currently? In order it's Jakobson, Tonyik, Malik, Muscat, Rose....... It's not a good list isn't it?

• Like 3