Melbourne Football

Historic First Home Final. vs. Perth. Sun 17 Apr, 5.00 pm, AAMI Park

jw1739

I remember when I was in South Africa for the 2010 World Cup, Our bus/truck driver was around 60 years old and lived in Soweto. He loved football and his national team, but had never watched them play live since he couldn't afford to. So our tour group put money together and bought him a ticket right on the half way line close to the dugouts to watch South Africa vs France (I think).  He cried his eyes out when we presented him with a ticket as he knew he would never get this opportunity again. When we saw him again a couple of days after the game he manged to get some autographs from the South African players on his hat which I'm sure to this day he keeps treasured.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Novillo in some trouble post the incident at half time v Adelaide. Not good going into the finals.

Didnt he receive a yellow card? Meaning that the issue was dealt with by the referee?

12 minutes ago, haz said:

Didnt he receive a yellow card? Meaning that the issue was dealt with by the referee?

Novillo got yellow for "unsporting behaviour" - which may mean "being in the fight". If ref didn't see his kick out then he could cop ban

Melbourne City aware how lucky they are to be hosting club’s first ever home final

April 10, 2016 11:39pm

David Davutovic

MELBOURNE City star Aaron Mooy has declared there is no more margin for error after they dodged a bullet to secure a maiden home final.

Perth Glory needed to win against a Sydney FC, who had nothing to play for to overtake City in fourth place but collapsed to ensure Melbourne would host Glory at AAMI Park on Sunday.

Sydney FC’s 4-0 win was huge for City, who avoided a trip to Perth where they have woeful record and lost their first final in 2011-12.

City’s three finals have all been away games, but finishing nine points ahead of last season’s tally proved enough as Glory stumbled to secure John van’t Schip a home elimination final.

Mooy declared City was better equipped for this season’s campaign despite their fadeout in the last fortnight.

“It hasn’t been ideal, it’s been a disappointing 10 days but now it’s time and the only thing to do is forget about it and focus on finals,’’ Mooy said.

“We have another chance but that’s it, no more chances after that, no more mistakes. It’s do or die and we need to be at our best starting with Glory.

“We’ve reviewed the games and had a chat, we know what we did wrong, now we’ve got to put it right and this is it.

“Maybe we thought about it a bit too much, we must try and be more comfortable and not try to change because of the occasion.

“We’ve definitely got a better team this year. If we do what we know we can I think we can beat anyone, but we’ve got to play our game.’’

Instead of travelling to nib Stadium where City lost 3-2 last week and were eliminated from this season’s FFA Cup in two of their worst performances of the season, they host Glory at AAMI Park where they were undefeated in 10 games until Friday night’s loss.

Mooy warned Glory would be tough opponents after turning the season around with last night’s loss just their second in 13 games.

“They’ve improved a lot since the start of the season and they’re a really strong outfit, really well drilled and disciplined with some good players up front,’’ he said.

Mooy claimed City’s best and fairest award in a tie with striker Bruno Fornaroli in a low-key function on Saturday night but the midfielder said the ceremony may have been well timed.

“Maybe it was the right time considering we had a bad few weeks, to get everyone together and relax a bit and try and forget about it ahead of the finals,’’ Mooy said.

“It’s a big honour, I’m very happy and thankful to my teammates, coaching staff and family.

“It’s great to win it with Bruno as he’s had a fantastic year and he’s a great bloke.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-aware-how-lucky-they-are-to-be-hosting-clubs-first-ever-home-final/news-story/41e99226f12ff55f503d06de6c281ea9

I've accidentally bought 2 extra Cat C tickets for the match, and on Mrs Guttman's credit card so that's a problem. S16 row KK (just behind and to the side of active support), if anyone is after tickets you can have them for cost $75.91. I won't even charge you $5 to print them:)

Just send me a private message if you're interested

Edited by belaguttman

3 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Why is a goal keeping coach needed on the bench anyways? Dont mean to be rude about it just curious.

You're not rude at all. Doesn't need to be on the bench.

And further more any non player that grabs an opposition player from the throat should be stood down immediately.

1 hour ago, kingawesomeness said:

I've got some tickets that I bought not realising I can't attend. Johnno can have them from me, no charge. Just thinking in case you haven't bought them as yet.

I haven't heard back from Johnno yet

I was waiting for a return message before I went ahead to get them for him and Mrs Johnno

Edited by japiedog

48 minutes ago, Luke said:

For that 15 second warm up with the reserve keeper before being subbed on 

45 minutes ago, playmaker said:

And further more any non player that grabs an opposition player from the throat should be stood down immediately.

Thanks guys and yeah he should miss some games for what he did.

45 minutes ago, playmaker said:

IMO I have a better suggestion. Just get the younger JD to carry Harry's bags and the two of them GTFO of Melbourne City. Don't think he's exactly set the world on fire since he's been here has he?

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

Why is a goal keeping coach needed on the bench anyways? Dont mean to be rude about it just curious.

Well I guess he helps the prep before the game and half time if its needed.  An experienced pro Like Sorrensen surely wouldn't need much coaching though.  Anyway if they needed someone there is a guy called Clint Bolton at the club, no ones brother i know, but I think he might know a thing or 2.

• Like 1

So with Harry (most likely) out this week, we´ve got a little selection crisis, hey? How do we line up? Does Marino swap straight in for Harry and we keep playing 442? Do we play 433 with Gooch/Caceres on the left and Fitzy on the right? Do we play Kisnorbo up front as a sole striker and just hoof crosses at him? Maybe even give James Brown a shot (actually no, I shouldn´t even joke about that). I think I prefer the sound of Caceres on the left wing with Gooch back to LB... the other options just seem a bit toothless to me and I can´t see them causing many goals.

3 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

So with Harry (most likely) out this week, we´ve got a little selection crisis, hey? How do we line up? Does Marino swap straight in for Harry and we keep playing 442? Do we play 433 with Gooch/Caceres on the left and Fitzy on the right? Do we play Kisnorbo up front as a sole striker and just hoof crosses at him? Maybe even give James Brown a shot (actually no, I shouldn´t even joke about that). I think I prefer the sound of Caceres on the left wing with Gooch back to LB... the other options just seem a bit toothless to me and I can´t see them causing many goals.

Caseres needs to be central as he hasn't got the pace for a line runner, is more suited to a central playmaker, but I like your way of thinking.

Edited by playmaker

Guys we have to have 3 up front.  Whenever we haven't the other teams have basically put 4 defenders around Bruno.  Now most teams still couldn't stop him, but Perth seemed able to.  2 wingers means they have to keep an eye on them and that will give Bruno the space he needs to reek havoc.  So its Fitzy on one wing and one of Merino (baa), Kuzi or Brown on the other.  From the little I've seen of those 3 recently, I'd start Marino and put Kuzi on the bench.  His pace will petrify tired defenders, (even if his decision making relaxes them).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Guys we have to have 3 up front.  Whenever we haven't the other teams have basically put 4 defenders around Bruno.  Now most teams still couldn't stop him, but Perth seemed able to.  2 wingers means they have to keep an eye on them and that will give Bruno the space he needs to reek havoc.  So its Fitzy on one wing and one of Merino (baa), Kuzi or Brown on the other.  From the little I've seen of those 3 recently, I'd start Marino and put Kuzi on the bench.  His pace will petrify tired defenders, (even if his decision making relaxes them).

Why not Garuccio on the left wing, and Clisby to LB?

Makes me laugh how people crap on about how a strong squad we have, but as soon as one starting player is unavailable we don't seem to have a replacement...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Why not Garuccio on the left wing, and Clisby to LB?

Makes me laugh how people crap on about how a strong squad we have, but as soon as one starting player is unavailable we don't seem to have a replacement...

Forgot that one.  probably a better option, not sure Marino is a winger in any case, really he would be a desperate choice.

With Kuzi falling away and Gameiro injured we are light on for backup in the forwards, that's for sure.  Teams like Adelaide, WSW & Roar all have goal scoring firepower off the bench - all we have is kids.

Yep, ATM leaning towards 4-3-3:

Garuccio     Fornaroli     Fitzgerald

Mooy   Caceres     

Malik

Clisby     Kisnorbo   Wilkinson  Franjic

Sorensen

And if 4-4-2:

Marino   Fornaroli

Mooy

Caceres        Fitzgerald

Malik

Garuccio/Clisby Kisnorbo Wilkinson Franjic

Sorensen

Look like strong and balanced lineups to me. The team just needs to, get up, and put in their standard home game performance (where their home form has seen the team win 9 out of 14 home games), and they can prevail.

1 hour ago, MICHAEL_MACGYVER said:

ummm playing devils advocate here...do we know for certain that Harry is out ?

I mean if berisha gets off surely harry will too

Berisha was lying on the ground being treated, Novillo was up and fighting. Not sure they're that similar despite both involving kicking.

2 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

I would like to personaly thank all the guys that offered tickets for me and Mrs Johnno but we sat down after Friday's Shemozzle and decided we would stay at home, we have had enough dissapointments from the team for this season and the mrs gets very fed up when we lose games we by rights should win plus the inconsistency has dampened our enthusiasm for a while but we will be back next season. Once again many thanks for the offers, come the boy's in blue.

NO. I WILL NOT LIKE THIS POST.

Sadly(very very sadly) though, I can fully understand your thinking behind this decision.  

To have a clearly rusted on supporter of this club make a choice like this, shows just how much of a farce our club can be at times.

Not even us, the only suckers left in town can get excited anymore after years of let downs. 

• Like 3

I'm pumped. Want revenge on Perth for last week and the final last year. The boys deserve a good end to the season, which at times has been ridiculously entertaining, despite JVS. 

Come Sunday night another chapter in our history will be written and I'll be there supporting the lads with a level of vigour that will embarrass the Mrs and scare my kids 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Yep, ATM leaning towards 4-3-3:

Garuccio     Fornaroli     Fitzgerald

Mooy   Caceres     

Malik

Clisby     Kisnorbo   Wilkinson  Franjic

Sorensen

And if 4-4-2:

Marino   Fornaroli

Mooy

Caceres        Fitzgerald

Malik

Garuccio/Clisby Kisnorbo Wilkinson Franjic

Sorensen

Look like strong and balanced lineups to me. The team just needs to, get up, and put in their standard home game performance (where their home form has seen the team win 9 out of 14 home games), and they can prevail.

I don't mind either formation but I have two concerns: physicality and height. PG were a very physical side and effectively there is no one there to go and rough them up or at least provide some physical presence (specially on La Rocca). Our forward line is also short and given the number of hoof balls that the team seems to be doing lately (maybe its been there all along I just hadn't noticed) the ability of Fornaroli to win some of these are quite limited; and neither Garruccio nor Fitzgerald are that good in the air.

For me I would start with a 4-3-3 with Marino instead of Garuccio and if its not working out by half time then do the change. I would also start Melling instead of Caceres to give the team some much need physical presence. At the 60 minute mark I would take Melling off (if he hasn't earned a well deserved red card) and put caceres in.

On another note with PG losing 4-0 and everyone wondering where Sydney FC have been, I have a different take. Basically PG spent all their energy in containing Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo that they were a spent force when they arrived in Sydney. It wasn't Sydney per se that won that much, it was just that PG were stuffed.