Melbourne Football

Memberships/Season Tickets

jw1739

30 minutes ago, citypool said:

I'm gonna get a bit of stick for this but it's a safe space so here goes 

I don't really feel connected with the squad this season. Young, uga, antonis even nabbout played for other a league teams especially victory/western 

I know club loyalty isn't really a thing anymore but I wanna feel connected to the players like they only represent my club. At the same time I'm excited to see behich I know he played for victory but he was at heart when I followed the club so it's just about reliving those memories seeing him play. Maybe in time I'll accept these new players... 

No stick from me anyway.

Did you get down to Oakleigh for the Cup match? I have felt more connected to the club since then that I have for several seasons now. I think it was the atmosphere and the reality of it - something I haven't felt at AAMI for a long time. Kinda nice too to find a girl and her Dad checking tickets on the way in and not being frisked in case I was a hooligan...

One thing about the club I don't like is that I feel I'm being sold a package - I'm a consumer and not a fan. The lads don't come down to the Southern End anymore and acknowledge the fans for starters. Has Rado ever mentioned us? Do we get "City Insider" any more or is it just another download? I've written to the club about this sort of thing but it doesn't have any impact.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No stick from me anyway.

Did you get down to Oakleigh for the Cup match? I have felt more connected to the club since then that I have for several seasons now. I think it was the atmosphere and the reality of it - something I haven't felt at AAMI for a long time. Kinda nice too to find a girl and her Dad checking tickets on the way in and not being frisked in case I was a hooligan...

One thing about the club I don't like is that I feel I'm being sold a package - I'm a consumer and not a fan. The lads don't come down to the Southern End anymore and acknowledge the fans for starters. Has Rado ever mentioned us? Do we get "City Insider" any more or is it just another download? I've written to the club about this sort of thing but it doesn't have any impact.

Yeah it's changed for sure. I was there on Sunday I think the flares are so cringe as well. Like taking flares to a suburban ground grow up 

Come on guys, when are we going to accept that football isn’t a sit and clap sport. Noisy fans and flares (when used safe) are part of the global sport. Trying to fight it isn’t the right way, introducing safe flares is. This isn’t a case of Australia is right and the rest of the world is wrong.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Come on guys, when are we going to accept that football isn’t a sit and clap sport. Noisy fans and flares (when used safe) are part of the global sport. Trying to fight it isn’t the right way, introducing safe flares is. This isn’t a case of Australia is right and the rest of the world is wrong.

Was there. Was only a smokie, and on a grass bank in the open air it didn't feel remotely dangerous. Not a fan of them, but not bothered at all in this case.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I find them cringey. Like look at me I have smoke. Why don't you chant about the players 

5 hours ago, citypool said:

I'm gonna get a bit of stick for this but it's a safe space so here goes 

I don't really feel connected with the squad this season. Young, uga, antonis even nabbout played for other a league teams especially victory/western 

I know club loyalty isn't really a thing anymore but I wanna feel connected to the players like they only represent my club. At the same time I'm excited to see behich I know he played for victory but he was at heart when I followed the club so it's just about reliving those memories seeing him play. Maybe in time I'll accept these new players... 

I think it's cause is that we've had so many players leave and if Good goes to India as well there's another hole in the fabric of the team. Those players you mentioned though remind me of some we've had previously both long and short term. Young reminds me of Galekovic, filled a hole for a year and now we wouldn't claim him as a City player. Ugarkovic is more a journeyman, I think in time we might feel the same for him as say a Jamo or a Griff, players who both had history with a number of other clubs. Antonis I feel might be the sort of project player who flourishes and we turn around his career. A bit like Nabbout actually. The other pick ups Lopane and Schreiber look ok, looking forward to the new visas as well most looking alright and I'm hoping we see more time for the younger guys, Caputo etc. I'm actually the opposite I'm feeling a little renewed this year, like it's a new leaf, new team and looking forward to see what unfolds during the season

12 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

I think it's cause is that we've had so many players leave and if Good goes to India as well there's another hole in the fabric of the team. Those players you mentioned though remind me of some we've had previously both long and short term. Young reminds me of Galekovic, filled a hole for a year and now we wouldn't claim him as a City player. Ugarkovic is more a journeyman, I think in time we might feel the same for him as say a Jamo or a Griff, players who both had history with a number of other clubs. Antonis I feel might be the sort of project player who flourishes and we turn around his career. A bit like Nabbout actually. The other pick ups Lopane and Schreiber look ok, looking forward to the new visas as well most looking alright and I'm hoping we see more time for the younger guys, Caputo etc. I'm actually the opposite I'm feeling a little renewed this year, like it's a new leaf, new team and looking forward to see what unfolds during the season

Don't think Good will be going to India

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Was there. Was only a smokie, and on a grass bank in the open air it didn't feel remotely dangerous. Not a fan of them, but not bothered at all in this case.

There were a number of flares actually. Possibly what was worse was that it appeared from where I was seated that the security staff didn't have the right equipment to deal with them safely.

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

That's a fair answer. Jamieson and griff didn't play for victory so it'll take a bit of time but I'll give them a chance 

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There were a number of flares actually. Possibly what was worse was that it appeared from where I was seated that the security staff didn't have the right equipment to deal with them safely.

OK. I only saw the one. Behind one goal. Didn't see the others so can't offer comment. The one behind the goal that I saw didn't unduly trouble me. 

I enjoy flares see nothing wrong with them, done in a controlled environment with terrace chanting give me that anyway then crowds at afl yelling ball or let's go local sports team let's go, but anyway where's my fucking membership package ya oil money bastards.

Edited by Bannon
Membership thread ya dog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bannon said:

I enjoy flares see nothing wrong with them, done in a controlled environment with terrace chanting give me that anyway then crowds at afl yelling ball or let's go local sports team let's go, but anyway where's my fucking membership package ya oil money bastards.

They cancelled showing the Matildas at fed square on Saturday night. Do you at least think they shouldn't throw the flares? 

2 hours ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

I think it’s no coincidence that now we are out (nobody cares about the 3rd place playoff), the negative reporting of football culture is the focus of the media. You go back and look at all the reports of support for our previous matches and you will find many photos of flares being ripped and not one of them will mention any concern about fan behaviour. Just back to regular programming now I’m afraid. I try to ignore it. 
The best thing we can do is capitalise on the wave of excitement and bring new people to the A-Leagues. I’ve already got a family of five keen to come to a game. 

I dunno man I seen the footage of the people pushing down the barricade it's not a good look. We lost the match so if does add fuel to the fire. Maybe I'll just mind my own business sit In the corner at matches because I'm not into it 

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

This is why I don't watch any mainstream news as it is simply "just programming" people on what they want you to believe. 

Pretty much like China. I don't watch TV News for that very reason, and I try to avoid the ABC web news too. Recently the ABC has been so painfully obvious pushing various agendas. It's hard to believe that we have sunk this low.

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty much like China. I don't watch TV News for that very reason, and I try to avoid the ABC web news too. Recently the ABC has been so painfully obvious pushing various agendas. It's hard to believe that we have sunk this low.

It is basically propaganda like you say particularly the stuff we've been seeing the past 3 years. Don't agree with the direction society is being pushed into, and it's being helped along by all these media outlets pushing particular agendas...

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It is basically propaganda like you say particularly the stuff we've been seeing the past 3 years. Don't agree with the direction society is being pushed into, and it's being helped along by all these media outlets pushing particular agendas...

Well it’s a clearly a tactic to quickly shutdown any momentum. Fueled by some who still do not really understand the largest sport in the world and what comes with that

Back to beersnakes and pom poms, let’s go team let’s go clap clap…..

Edited by Mr MO

41 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Well it’s a clearly a tactic to quickly shutdown any momentum. Fueled by some who still do not really understand the largest sport in the world and what comes with that

Back to beersnakes and pom poms, let’s go team let’s go clap clap…..

We're not really referring to football specifically. More that the media pushes a certain line ad nauseam - usually, of course, the politically-correct one.

In terms of football, the media has been understandably pushing the WNT, and apart from Kerr making comments about more "investment" - without being specific of course, and probably putting quite a few people offside because they think there's already far too much squandered on stadiums etc. and "elite sport" in general - I don't recall a single media reference to Australian domestic women's football, the W-League, the Australian clubs that have women's teams, the investment that's already been and is being made, etc. etc.

Australian football needs to wake up. I still follow my home-town non-league club in England. They send me an email every week, the web-site is up to-date with the squad etc., they invite people to join their Fantasy League and offer a first prize of a season ticket (not that I'll win it, and couldn't use it anyway) run a weekly lottery (we probably aren't allowed to do that here) and go out of their way to keep interest in the club alive. Administrators can't sit back and give out great gobs of money and expect that that alone will somehow produce success - many of the best players in the world come from impoverished backgrounds - and neither can they expect the media to do it for them.

Our own club's forthcoming cup matches are perfect examples of not keeping interest alive. Nothing is achieved without hard work.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

On 18/08/2023 at 12:14 PM, jw1739 said:

We're not really referring to football specifically. More that the media pushes a certain line ad nauseam - usually, of course, the politically-correct one.

In terms of football, the media has been understandably pushing the WNT, and apart from Kerr making comments about more "investment" - without being specific of course, and probably putting quite a few people offside because they think there's already far too much squandered on stadiums etc. and "elite sport" in general - I don't recall a single media reference to Australian domestic women's football, the W-League, the Australian clubs that have women's teams, the investment that's already been and is being made, etc. etc.

Australian football needs to wake up. I still follow my home-town non-league club in England. They send me an email every week, the web-site is up to-date with the squad etc., they invite people to join their Fantasy League and offer a first prize of a season ticket (not that I'll win it, and couldn't use it anyway) run a weekly lottery (we probably aren't allowed to do that here) and go out of their way to keep interest in the club alive. Administrators can't sit back and give out great gobs of money and expect that that alone will somehow produce success - many of the best players in the world come from impoverished backgrounds - and neither can they expect the media to do it for them.

Our own club's forthcoming cup matches are perfect examples of not keeping interest alive. Nothing is achieved without hard work.

This 1000x times 

The match day experience at aami is pretty ordinary 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, citypool said:

Do we still go to imperial for away matches? 

Seem western are meeting at a place in tarneit 

From my experience, no, not really. I went to the imperial for a few away games last season and I'm pretty confident me and my mates were the only City supporters there.

• Sad 1