Melbourne Football

Tim Cahills Marquee comments

HeartOfCity

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A THREAD ABOUT THIS IDIOT'S COMMENTS?

The bloke probably has an IQ of 50, just because he is a half decent soccer player doesn't mean he knows anything about how soccer should be run in this country.

Should just keep his mouth shut, and delete his social media accounts, and everyone would love him

Pretty spot on though. MLS gets the big names in their mid 30's and China will grab the reasonably big names in their late 20's and early 30's for the foreseeable future. A fledgling 10 team league playing in an Australian summer is gonna struggle to attract  the marquee players people want to see.

20 hours ago, marn11 said:

I don't see the issue with anything he said?

But but but he didn't say "The A League is the best league in the world", yet he's Australian! How dare he- clearly a "traitor".

Also he didn't go on about "how the A League is improving", like "our" players like to.

Man am I sick of hearing that.  So I used to hear the A League was the level of the english 2nd tier and also every year "its improving", by my figures, given those earlier points, its now slightly better than the UEFA Champions League.

I suspect its actually somewhere around the level of the English 4th tier and varies from season to season, but hasn't improved since the Ange Postecoglou "great leap forward".  So we have a poor league, with little money available, no wonder we aren't attracting top players, its hardly rocket science.  

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

But but but he didn't say "The A League is the best league in the world", yet he's Australian! How dare he- clearly a "traitor".

Also he didn't go on about "how the A League is improving", like "our" players like to.

Man am I sick of hearing that.  So I used to hear the A League was the level of the english 2nd tier and also every year "its improving", by my figures, given those earlier points, its now slightly better than the UEFA Champions League.

I suspect its actually somewhere around the level of the English 4th tier and varies from season to season, but hasn't improved since the Ange Postecoglou "great leap forward".  So we have a poor league, with little money available, no wonder we aren't attracting top players, its hardly rocket science.  

You sparked a thought...

Why do we need to compare our league with other leagues? After all a proper comparison would involve a foreign league playing in the A-League and vice versa for a season each and then compare the distribution of results.

The closest we come to comparing leagues would be during the FIFA world cup and that would be true if and only if most players played in the domestic league. The alternative would be the Champions League where the best teams of a confederation compete. But that compares a club only not the league itself. So for example if a fully fit MV played the bottom team of the CSL who would win?

Perhaps it is time we turn inwards and look at our own metrics such as crowd/viewer numbers, memberships, the amount gabled internationally on the league, the amount of money richer leagues are playing for domestically developed talent, etc. Profitability of the league as a whole rather than on a club basis (I am leaning towards the idea that in any given season some clubs will run a loss).

By all means keep an eye on foreign leagues but lets look at our own PBs first.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

money grabbing cunt 

Why do people pretend as if this is a bad thing? lol I'd be chasing money too if it was offered to me

I can understand frustration being directed towards the likes of Sainsbury and Troisi who are young and in their prime, and probably capable of a higher standard but for fuck's sake, Cahill is 36 years old and isn't obligated to play in the A-League if he doesn't want to (which he clearly doesn't). 

And for the record, I can't stand listening to Cahill speak so I'm no apologist of his, but let's get real here for a moment. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nate said:

Why do people pretend as if this is a bad thing? lol I'd be chasing money too if it was offered to me

I can understand frustration being directed towards the likes of Sainsbury and Troisi who are young and in their prime, and probably capable of a higher standard but for fuck's sake, Cahill is 36 years old and isn't obligated to play in the A-League if he doesn't want to (which he clearly doesn't). 

And for the record, I can't stand listening to Cahill speak so I'm no apologist of his, but let's get real here for a moment. 

Cause the guy needs to shut up and stop talking about all the great things he's doing for grassroots football in this country. And while he's at it stop talking about his 'vision' and just play football. No one has any problem with other players not playing in the aleague (Viduka, Bresciano etc.) because they didn't waffle on about all the great things they're doing for the game here. Bresciano played in the Middle East to make a packet but he's not claiming it's not about the money or how he's playing for some bullshit greater good for football in this country.  He went about his business without a word. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 4

On 2/9/2016 at 8:15 AM, NewConvert said:

You sparked a thought...

Why do we need to compare our league with other leagues? After all a proper comparison would involve a foreign league playing in the A-League and vice versa for a season each and then compare the distribution of results.

The closest we come to comparing leagues would be during the FIFA world cup and that would be true if and only if most players played in the domestic league. The alternative would be the Champions League where the best teams of a confederation compete. But that compares a club only not the league itself. So for example if a fully fit MV played the bottom team of the CSL who would win?

Perhaps it is time we turn inwards and look at our own metrics such as crowd/viewer numbers, memberships, the amount gabled internationally on the league, the amount of money richer leagues are playing for domestically developed talent, etc. Profitability of the league as a whole rather than on a club basis (I am leaning towards the idea that in any given season some clubs will run a loss).

By all means keep an eye on foreign leagues but lets look at our own PBs first.

I think we get an idea playing in the ACL don't we? And so far, the only Australian club to win the thing has been Western Sydney Wanderers, and after them I'd say Adelaide has had the best record in that competition.

In terms of comparisons with European and other leagues it's virtually impossible to get one. City seemed perhaps on a par with the England League 1/League 2 with two draws in preseasons in Manchester (Bury, Oldham wasn't it?) but that's hardly "competitive." We could invite some lesser German sides out here in their mid-winter break but again, that's hardly "competitive" (and who would attend to see the matches, anyway?). Melbourne City vs. Energie Cottbus? Yeah, great!

IMO FFA needs to court bigger overseas investment in our clubs, and then work to taking the brakes off all the rules and regulations (e.g. Lampard) and take the great leap forward that the MLS did and build football-specific stadiums that become the spiritual homes of the clubs. Clubs can survive without blockbuster crowds but not with the cruelling stadium deals that we have to put up with.

We need a vision, and visionaries to lead us. Only then can we take the steps to take us from "now" to that vision. It's no use having a Melways in your car door if you don't actually know what your destination is.

Edited by jw1739

17 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Cause the guy needs to shut up and stop talking about all the great things he's doing for grassroots football in this country. And while he's at it stop talking about his 'vision' and just play football. No one has any problem with other players not playing in the aleague (Viduka, Bresciano etc.) because they didn't waffle on about all the great things they're doing for the game here. Bresciano played in the Middle East to make a packet but he's not claiming it's not about the money or how he's playing for some bullshit greater good for football in this country.  He went about his business without a word. 

I entirely agree with all of those points, I was making reference to the whole "anti-money grabbing" philosophy in general that many football fans seem to share.

I already disclosed that I think Cahill is an idiot and as you said, he should refrain from talking and just play football.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO FFA needs to court bigger overseas investment in our clubs, and then work to taking the brakes off all the rules and regulations (e.g. Lampard) and take the great leap forward that the MLS did and build football-specific stadiums that become the spiritual homes of the clubs. Clubs can survive without blockbuster crowds but not with the cruelling stadium deals that we have to put up with.

Also 100% agree with this, sorting out stadiums should be priority #1 for the FFA as the viability of several clubs and their futures depend on better deals being secured because as it stands, clubs are bleeding money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

he probably has enough money for generations, that's what's annoying me, prick would rather take from china than give to home
spent 8 years at everton, was on 55,000 pounds a week for atleast 1 season (2,860,000) 
at the time was the 4th highest paid in mls, $3.54m AU
chuck in 5m in china for the last season (possibly $US), signed a new deal and got paid out 
then there's heaps of shit he's done on the side too plus socceroos
guess we won't be seeing him in the aleague unless he's really desperate for a last payday when he's long passed it

Edited by Thrillhouse

5 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

he probably has enough money for generations, that's what's annoying me, prick would rather take from china than give to home
spent 8 years at everton, was on 55,000 pounds a week for atleast 1 season (2,860,000) 
at the time was the 4th highest paid in mls, $3.54m AU
chuck in 5m in china for the last season (possibly $US), signed a new deal and got paid out 
then there's heaps of shit he's done on the side too plus socceroos
guess we won't be seeing him in the aleague unless he's really desperate for a last payday when he's long passed it

He probably does, but nobody says no to money regardless of how much you possess. And besides, do you really want to see him that badly in the A-League anyway? 
30+ Socceroos typically bomb in the league as they underestimate the physical requirements of it, and we of all supporter bases should know this given our history (Kennedy, Kewell, Grella).

I guess the biggest positive would be the increased exposure he'd give to the league but I honestly believe the expectations would be too high, and his influence wouldn't be significant enough to get non A-League supporting football fans on board. It's all hypothetical anyway, as jw said it's more important for Australian football to be focusing on long-term investment into the game and making sure we get the off-field stuff right. Cahill would be a bonus, but like I said he's not obligated to play here and the league is in worse shape than I thought if we're relying on guys like him to maintain interest in the competition.

22 minutes ago, Nate said:

He probably does, but nobody says no to money regardless of how much you possess. And besides, do you really want to see him that badly in the A-League anyway? 
30+ Socceroos typically bomb in the league as they underestimate the physical requirements of it, and we of all supporter bases should know this given our history (Kennedy, Kewell, Grella).

Personally, I don't want him to come to the league after he's turned it down again, just a bit of a shame him and schwarzer won't play down here but that's on them

Edited by Thrillhouse

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I think we get an idea playing in the ACL don't we? And so far, the only Australian club to win the thing has been Western Sydney Wanderers, and after them I'd say Adelaide has had the best record in that competition.

In terms of comparisons with European and other leagues it's virtually impossible to get one. City seemed perhaps on a par with the England League 1/League 2 with two draws in preseasons in Manchester (Bury, Oldham wasn't it?) but that's hardly "competitive." We could invite some lesser German sides out here in their mid-winter break but again, that's hardly "competitive" (and who would attend to see the matches, anyway?). Melbourne City vs. Energie Cottbus? Yeah, great!

We need a vision, and visionaries to lead us. Only then can we take the steps to take us from "now" to that vision. It's no use having a Melways in your car door if you don't actually know what your destination is.

I agree that we need a vision but I have to say that I am disappointed with Steve Lowry thus far because he has not articulated any vision thus far. I have given up on Gallop to be anything more than a low middle level manager that ensures that boxes are ticked rather than create boxes to tick.

I would like the FFA to bring up more overseas investment but the way the Jets sale fell through indicates to me that we are either looking in the wrong places or the FFA don't have an idea.

And as far as building stadiums are concerned that could prove difficult with local and state government regulations plus cost. However, the FFA has to start doing something.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I agree that we need a vision but I have to say that I am disappointed with Steve Lowry thus far because he has not articulated any vision thus far. I have given up on Gallop to be anything more than a low middle level manager that ensures that boxes are ticked rather than create boxes to tick.

I would like the FFA to bring up more overseas investment but the way the Jets sale fell through indicates to me that we are either looking in the wrong places or the FFA don't have an idea.

And as far as building stadiums are concerned that could prove difficult with local and state government regulations plus cost. However, the FFA has to start doing something.

26th October 2015: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/wellington-phoenixs-aleague-future-in-doubt-after-ffa-denies-10year-licence-extension-20151026-gkisyb.html
"FFA has carefully evaluated the role and contribution of the Wellington franchise in terms of game development, player pathway, commercial factors, broadcast rights and the long-term strategic outlook," FFA chief executive David Gallop said. "The application for a 10-year extension to the licence does not meet the requirements we see as fundamental to the future growth of the Hyundai A-League."

19th February 2016: http://outside90.com/ffa-and-wellington-phoenix-agree-10-year-a-league-license-extension/
“The agreement with the Welnix Group for an extension of the Wellington Phoenix licence offers long-term security for the club as well as a critical lift in value for the Hyundai A League,” Gallop said. “Great result for both organisations, great result for football across the Tasman. It’s important that we have put in benchmarks and hurdles to see the Phoenix grow and continue to add value to the A-League.”

This is a classic example of a lack of vision at FFA. It's not surprising that it's difficult to attract investment into our clubs at the present time - we're incredibly fortunate that CFG has invested in us and built the facilities that they have so far, and have not pulled the pin despite the knock-backs that they've received from FFA in the process.

I just wish Cahill would stfu about the a-league.

I'd love to see him in the league but if he doesn't want to play in it thats totally fine, just stop bagging the a-league everytime he gets the chance to talk about it.

And for people saying he has enough money please, you can never have enough money :)

On 8/2/2016 at 10:49 PM, belaguttman said:

The other  ONLY issue is money. The MLS pays in US$ whereas we pay considerably less due to the exchange rate. China of course can just pay whatever they want.

As much as I luv what he's done for us as a Socceroo, his disparaging comments towards the local/A-league is completely out of order. When Gallop said that Cahill's side said that we couldn't afford him and Timmy says he made no such comment - well it's just a matter of twisting words isn't it. The end result is the same.

• Like 1