Melbourne Football

The APL/FA Management Thread

thisphantomfortress

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Speaking of NSL bitters, if the FFA is serious about taking a hard line approach against bad fan behaviour rather than just trying to deflect the current media scrutiny, why have they allowed CCM to sign a player who has previously tried to steal banners and incite violence at A-league games?

If these characters aren't welcome in the A-league then that should apply to on the field as well I think. 

who was that?

Following the events of the Derby on Saturday, February 13, the club has been handed a $50,000 fine and a suspended 3 point sanction which expires on the 13th of February, 2017.
The North Terrace would like to make it known that we do not promote, nor encourage, behaviour that could cost the club financially as well as the ability to win more silverware.
While the NT does not wish to hide from the obvious issues which have been thrust into the spotlight by the agenda-driven media, we will not and cannot accept some people's expectations that the leaders of the Terrace are 100% responsible for the actions of each individual who chooses to stand amongst us.
None of the North Terrace leadership wants to see the club suffer financially or competitively due to actions beyond our control, and therefore we request that all Melbourne fans use some common sense before acting in the future.
Details for Friday night's home game will be confirmed once the FFA finalises the new banning and appeals process, as was agreed upon by all 10 of the league's active support groups on 9th December, 2015.
Watch this page for further information in the lead-up to Friday night.

The problem is that the lighting of flares at this time has jeopardised all the gains that active fans have made with FFA. It was terrible timing and has handed the initiative back to FFA. Whatever the merits of flares (and I'm agnostic about them if they could be used safely) this is not the way that will result in any benefits for active fans or for the game. The response of Police and FFA is also inflaming the situation.

• Like 2

Looks like MV have decided to act themselves....

The North Terrace encourages everyone to attend the match tonight and support our club, but wishes to advise that organised support will not be possible this evening. The NTC is currently working with the club to ensure the actions of individuals do not result in either the NT or the whole club being punished. NT members can expect a significant and vigilant police presence in our area, targeting active support members. We continue to stand by the belief that collective punishment is inherently wrong, as is the targeting of North Terrace leadership which has taken place inside and outside of the stadium in the last week. Group banners, despite being on the approved items list since 2014, have also now been banned. We remain hopeful that the relevant authorities will reconsider this unjust decision.

Under the current circumstances, the coordination of the North Terrace tonight is not our first priority. However, we encourage all North Terrace members to support our team in whatever way possible this evening, as many of the NT leadership will be doing. Do not react to over-zealous policing and we also urge people who attend the match to not do anything which harms our club or its players. Despite not agreeing with the severity of the FFA's punishment, we urge all supporters to consider the dramatic ramifications of negative reactions.

While we understand that this may detract from the regular influence the NT has on a match, we believe that less organised support is unfortunately the only logical step while we're faced with the current scenario where a single individual can cause enormous damage. We implore individuals to realise that they alone are responsible for their actions.

This is certainly not a boycott and we intend to have the Terrace back to it's most dynamic best, pending cooperation from the relevant authorities, as soon as possible.

We also advise that for reasons alluded to above, no march will take place tonight.

Come on Melbourne!

NT'05

2 minutes ago, cadete said:

Looks like MV have decided to act themselves....

The North Terrace encourages everyone to attend the match tonight and support our club, but wishes to advise that organised support will not be possible this evening. The NTC is currently working with the club to ensure the actions of individuals do not result in either the NT or the whole club being punished. NT members can expect a significant and vigilant police presence in our area, targeting active support members. We continue to stand by the belief that collective punishment is inherently wrong, as is the targeting of North Terrace leadership which has taken place inside and outside of the stadium in the last week. Group banners, despite being on the approved items list since 2014, have also now been banned. We remain hopeful that the relevant authorities will reconsider this unjust decision.

Under the current circumstances, the coordination of the North Terrace tonight is not our first priority. However, we encourage all North Terrace members to support our team in whatever way possible this evening, as many of the NT leadership will be doing. Do not react to over-zealous policing and we also urge people who attend the match to not do anything which harms our club or its players. Despite not agreeing with the severity of the FFA's punishment, we urge all supporters to consider the dramatic ramifications of negative reactions.

While we understand that this may detract from the regular influence the NT has on a match, we believe that less organised support is unfortunately the only logical step while we're faced with the current scenario where a single individual can cause enormous damage. We implore individuals to realise that they alone are responsible for their actions.

This is certainly not a boycott and we intend to have the Terrace back to it's most dynamic best, pending cooperation from the relevant authorities, as soon as possible.

We also advise that for reasons alluded to above, no march will take place tonight.

Come on Melbourne!

NT'05

More likely AAMI park, we copped similar sanctions for a game a month or so back. We took a very different approach than them though. UMA would be so sad

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

FFA today released a new strategic plan for 2016-2019.

Apparently its "four pillars" are:
– “A refresh of the A-League brand to connect more fans to the competition as viewers, members, ticket buyers and consumers of digital content.”
– “New investment in digital platforms to improve the experience of the 2 million grassroots participants and connect more of them to the A-League and W-League.”
– “A new centralised approach to Marquee Player Recruitment to assist A-League clubs in attracting top class international players, including Socceroos returning home.”
– “Incentives for football stakeholders at all levels to collaborate and align their programs to the game’s overall national objectives.”

Have any further details been released? Otherwise at this stage it's just more motherhood statements.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

FFA today released a new strategic plan for 2016-2019.

Apparently its "four pillars" are:
– “A refresh of the A-League brand to connect more fans to the competition as viewers, members, ticket buyers and consumers of digital content.”
– “New investment in digital platforms to improve the experience of the 2 million grassroots participants and connect more of them to the A-League and W-League.”
– “A new centralised approach to Marquee Player Recruitment to assist A-League clubs in attracting top class international players, including Socceroos returning home.”
– “Incentives for football stakeholders at all levels to collaborate and align their programs to the game’s overall national objectives.”

Have any further details been released? Otherwise at this stage it's just more motherhood statements.

To me the immediate point of interest is the "new investment in digital platforms" which could mean that the FFA would allow each club to have their own website without having to use the FFA template. Here CFG can make a real difference in differentiating the club. It could also mean that each club would be allowed to multicast via the internet the game.

39 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Why would he become head of the A-League? Surely its Gallop's job that he would be after.

Not sure, they spoke about it on SEN and someone confirmed they had heard that AD had been approached.

FWIW I think he'd do good job. He has a profile with the general public. He is also strong & stubborn as fuck and has shown he will stick up and fight for the code he is in charge of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The 'football family' are unhappy with his performance

Very good! I don't recall a single initiative or positive that I can associate with Damien de Bohun's 4-year reign as head of the A-League. Developments in football generally, yes, but in the A-League specifically, no. And particularly in the past few months I would say that de Bohun has been completely in the shadow of Gallop, and it's hard to see what he's actually been contributing.

I'd actually be ok with Demetriou, he's a proven administrator who knows how to innovate and grow sport.

I mean, I'd prefer a football person but if he's on board with the right attitude, I can't see how it's not a positive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nate said:

I'd actually be ok with Demetriou, he's a proven administrator who knows how to innovate and grow sport.

I mean, I'd prefer a football person but if he's on board with the right attitude, I can't see how it's not a positive.

You cant see how a guy who kicked up the shits because hosting a World Cup would interrupt one insignificant AFL season being in charge of the A-Leauge may be seen by some as perhaps not positive?

1 minute ago, KSK_47 said:

You cant see how a guy who kicked up the shits because hosting a World Cup would interrupt one insignificant AFL season being in charge of the A-Leauge may be seen by some as perhaps not positive?

Looking out for the best interests of the code and its stakeholders that he was in charge of? I'd say that's something you want in a CEO tbh, it's not like he had a personal vendetta against football or anything (as far as I'm aware).

What's everyone's opinion on bringing in someone that isn't from here? Someone with football experience, perhaps from the EPL, that can bring some fresh ideas. Normally I'd suggest someone with a knowledge of the Australian landscape but maybe someone that hasn't been tainted by a limited mindset of what the league could potentially be may be just what we need to inspire and push the league forward. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nate said:

Looking out for the best interests of the code and its stakeholders that he was in charge of? I'd say that's something you want in a CEO tbh, it's not like he had a personal vendetta against football or anything (as far as I'm aware).

I dont think he had a personal vendetta either, but we will have to agree to disagree here. He is and always will be part of the AFL culture. To do everything in your power to stop a World Cup coming here is unforgivable regardless of his stake holders. And then to put him in charge of the domestic league? Thats insanity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

What's everyone's opinion on bringing in someone that isn't from here? Someone with football experience, perhaps from the EPL, that can bring some fresh ideas. Normally I'd suggest someone with a knowledge of the Australian landscape but maybe someone that hasn't been tainted by a limited mindset of what the league could potentially be may be just what we need to inspire and push the league forward. 

Don't mind this. There are risks involved but at this stage I can't see how they are going to be bigger than the risks involved from selecting a local candidate from a  rather small pool.

Looking at some examples from business in general:

1. Westfarmers did really well when they brought people over from the UK but Woolworths bombed out when they brought in Americans to run Masters.

2. BHP did really well when they brought in some Americans but struggled when they had the South Africans.

3. Myers have struggled with local and American imports (as well as Dick Smith).

I think that the candidate must have some media background as well as football nous. I think that there would be some advantage from bringing someone from the USA/MLS because they face similar problems to Australian football but they need to realise that we are not American. Looking further afield, I think that a Spaniards could do the job as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I dont think he had a personal vendetta either, but we will have to agree to disagree here. He is and always will be part of the AFL culture. To do everything in your power to stop a World Cup coming here is unforgivable regardless of his stake holders. And then to put him in charge of the domestic league? Thats insanity.

Better to have your enemy inside the tent pissing out rather than outside the tent pissing in

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Better to have your enemy inside the tent pissing out rather than outside the tent pissing in

Or pissing in your bed from the inside while you are not looking. Regardless of who he works for he will never make a decision that may upset the AFL even if its the best thing to do

Edited by KSK_47

24 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Or pissing in your bed from the inside while you are not looking. Regardless of who he works for he will never make a decision that may upset the AFL even if its the best thing to do

Not sure about that. Before he was CEO of AFL wasn't he head of the players union. He definitely had influence on some decisions that later undermined his work as the players representative. 

Now I'm not supporting the idea of him becoming involved in the League but it's not because I think he won't do a good job. 

It's probably more because I think he's just a flog. Same feeling I'd have if we were speculating about Eddie Mcguire. 

Best thing that will grow the league. Getting on free to air. Our product is great, everyone(who has an interest in world soccer) dismisses it because they haven't watched a game in 5+ years. It probably won't happen next season when the Friday night game switches from sbs 2 to a main station but the FFA need to look at scheduling atleast one Melbourne and Sydney Derby on a Friday night. It will draw a great TV audience and the standard in those matches are always high. Give the FTA networks a taste of what a Derby is and what the league can produce and suddenly you have a hot product. Taking advantage of that is the most important thing for the future of the league. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, agoalie said:

Best thing that will grow the league. Getting on free to air. Our product is great, everyone(who has an interest in world soccer) dismisses it because they haven't watched a game in 5+ years. It probably won't happen next season when the Friday night game switches from sbs 2 to a main station but the FFA need to look at scheduling atleast one Melbourne and Sydney Derby on a Friday night. It will draw a great TV audience and the standard in those matches are always high. Give the FTA networks a taste of what a Derby is and what the league can produce and suddenly you have a hot product. Taking advantage of that is the most important thing for the future of the league. 

FTA coverage IMO is the biggest issue that needs to rectified. I would be interested to know how the Matildas rated in topping their group in comparison to A league games (derbies especially).

13 hours ago, Nate said:

I think that if you go back and look at what Demetriou was saying and doing from 2009 onwards in terms of the World Cup bid was very much "anti-football" and had all the hallmarks of a crusade against football. The compensation package that he negotiated was certainly very good for the AFL, so in that respect he was standing up for his chosen code (and his employer), but personally I would not want him anywhere near football in this country.

• Like 1

He was doing his job, and doing it well, it's the sort of stuff that should be a positive rather than a negative tbh.

But I suppose he has burnt some bridges here and it might not be appropriate for him to get the job.

Either way, I feel like we can do better.

But the problem is bringing someone from  overseas is questionable, understanding the Australian sporting landscape is pretty important.

And if you don't bring someone from overseas, there aren't a huge amount of options domestically.

I'd be in favour of risking it though and bringing someone from overseas, but I'd look at the US rather than UK/Europe.

• Like 3

I just can't see how AD who was on about $2M when running the AFL will come across to run the A-League under David Gallop. He sits on the board of Crown  and has various business interests - why would he come and run the A-League?

As far as his qualities are concerned, yes I do want someone who can be a tough negotiator, who can command respect and unlike De Brohun will have a clear grasp of the issues when they blow up.

I read in today's paper that the FFA will now review the responsibilities and expectations of the role before looking for a new appointment. This is a good step forward to ensure that the A-League can run separately from the FFA or at the very least not having to rely on David Gallop.

2 minutes ago, Tesla said:

But the problem is bringing someone from  overseas is questionable, understanding the Australian sporting landscape is pretty important.

And if you don't bring someone from overseas, there aren't a huge amount of options domestically.

I'd be in favour of risking it though and bringing someone from overseas, but I'd look at the US rather than UK/Europe.

I'd like to think the FFA's first thought was "I wonder who we could poach from the MLS?" Or someone who has worked for it in the past.

Adam Peacock made some interesting points yesterday. Evidently the head of the A-League is just a middle manager with an executive title. De Bohun had nothing to do with league structure, TV rights deals or allocations of funds, all of that is handled by the FFA. De Bohun's job was just the day to day administration of the league itself. He wasn't appointed for his ideas, understanding of the Australian sporting landscape or his #vision. That all comes from the FFA. He also wouldn't be on massive money.

The only way the head of the A-League would have any authority was if the league was independent of the FFA, which is not the case and unlikely to be the case in the short term. The FFA wouldn't be too keen on letting the clubs have too much of a role in running the league, given that most of them can barely run themselves.

So i think it would be unlikely that Demetriou would be interested in a mid-tier operations job on the FFA payroll.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4278462-adam-peacock-on-the-run-home

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Adam Peacock made some interesting points yesterday. Evidently the head of the A-League is just a middle manager with an executive title. De Bohun had nothing to do with league structure, TV rights deals or allocations of funds, all of that is handled by the FFA. De Bohun's job was just the day to day administration of the league itself. He wasn't appointed for his ideas, understanding of the Australian sporting landscape or his #vision. That all comes from the FFA. He also wouldn't be on massive money.

The only way the head of the A-League would have any authority was if the league was independent of the FFA, which is not the case and unlikely to be the case in the short term. The FFA wouldn't be too keen on letting the clubs have too much of a role in running the league, given that most of them can barely run themselves.

So i think it would be unlikely that Demetriou would be interested in a mid-tier operations job on the FFA payroll.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4278462-adam-peacock-on-the-run-home

Good point.

Though I feel there is some momentum behind an independent A-League, and it seems Melbourne City are probably the main protagonists.

I think it will happen in the not to distant future, but maybe a bit more stability is needed first.

• jw1739 changed the title to The APL/FA Management Thread
  • jw1739 pinned this topic