Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

A couple things from the night:

-David williams still can't shoot for shit. I actually didn't think he did too badly when he came on but fuck me whenever the bloke gets a shot around goal it's always going into the 5th tier. I'm more then happy with him staying a bench player.

-I thought both our fullbacks were pretty good last night (gooch has been getting slaughtered when being played their for most of the season, good of him to finally play well their) but in the second half they both tires (especially franjic) I felt as if kalfallah had a greater influence in the second half but we did well as a team to hang on for the win

-A shoutout to clisby, has been the forum's whipping boy for most of the season but played really well last night at CB. Deserves to keep his spot in the team for next week imo. Sorenson was also amazing, clearly the man of the match, i've been critical of his signing but after last night fark, you just can't hate the bloke.

-I thought novillo was a bit off last night. Still had all the great touches on the ball, made some decent passes and that but didn't shoot the ball too well at all last night. Lets hope he can get back on track next week.

We need to really put teams like victory to the sword, the whole time we had the 2-1 lead i never felt confident that we had the game until the final whistle yet. Contrary to popular belief i felt as if we had some pretty good chances in the 2nd half to ice the game, we need to be more clinical in front of goal.

However i'll take the win, onwards and upwards from here!

Just now, Jestr said:

Fuk the tards, they got what they deserve for being the excrement they are...zero points.

however considering they went to Perth on Wednesday below stats are still making me nervous 

image.jpeg

So looking at these stats we should have lost but we won so stats do not tell the whole story.

6 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

did you see his save in the FFA Cup?

Jesus f'en Christ

Mate, Clisby was playing CB alongside Paddy at CB. FYI he's the ginger. It was Garuccio playing against Barabarousis not Clisby.  It was Garuccio who skinnned Barabraousis, then faked the left foot cross and had Barabarousis slide over their goal line which opened the space for the perfect cross with his WRONG foot for the opening goal  Something you will not see from Clisby in his entire career.

Playing as a CB, Clisby had the responsibility of passing out to the midfielders, or to the wingers/ Garuccio WHICH HE RARELY completed.  That coupled with Paartalu taking an eternity to pass and then get robbed or not being quick enough to get their mids to make a tackle, and Mooy man marked, was why we weren't able to hold the ball.

Mooy was no where near the dominant player he has been, but such is his class, he made what he did do count.

Yes I'm glad we beat the "best team".  So did Wellington, Western Sydney and Perth, and more convincingly too. 

Here are the match Stats

Goals
Melbourne City FC            Melbourne Victory
2                   1
Total Shots (including blocked shots)
Melbourne City FC                Melbourne Victory
16   23
Shots On Target
Melbourne City FC              Melbourne Victory
4   13
Blocked Shots
Melbourne City FC                 Melbourne Victory
4   2
Shots from outside the box
Melbourne City FC                  Melbourne Victory
5   4
Shots from inside the box
Melbourne City FC               Melbourne Victory
11   19
Shot Accuracy (excluding blocked shots)
Melbourne City FC   Melbourne Victory
33.3%        61.9%
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/matchcentre/Melbourne-City-FC-v-Melbourne-Victory/811661#agMkjqoWW0VUBJCm.99

Said everything I need to say.

i don't hate Clisby - I actually don't mind him I just think he is a limited footballer. You will see from previous posts of mine that I don't regard that as a curse in a salary capped league. You need some of them if you are also going to have quality.

I think the back four's distribution last night was poor and coupled with a man marked mooy - who Di d his usual which was hold the ball when he got it and make some pretty incisive passes, but who couldn't get it as much and paartalu - who I like - being unable to hold the ball or move it forward effectively meant we were under pressure most of the night. 

It is possible that I was watching a different game to Ray.

Euphoria still running strong. People have been talking about our defense being crap last night with the exception of Sorensen. I would add that our back four have been our achilles heel for last season and this season. Look at our tally of goals against and we have only kept one clean sheet so far this season. We know that our preferred back four would Franjic (who probably still not fully match fit), Kisnorbo, Hughes (who is yet to play a full 90 minutes due to injury) and Zullo (who has only mustered 30 minutes of football). So Garrucio and Retre are makeshift backs, with Clisby being the utility either playing as a CB or LB. This is further compounded with the loss of Chapman. So it is what it is. Can Clisby continue to improve? I believe that he can and has been since he joined the club last January. Will he ever come into speculation for the Socceroos? Probably not but I wouldn't categorically rule out.

Also last season during the January transfer window we got Jaliens and Safuwan Baharudin. And they certainly strengthened our back four. Can it be done again? I don't know.

City weather the storm and put down a championship marker in derby drama

December 20, 2015

Michael Lynch

Melbourne City did more to establish their credentials as title contenders in 90 minutes against Melbourne Victory than they did in the three easy wins leading up to their 2-1 derby triumph.

John van 't Schip's team is now firmly entrenched in the leaders group at the top of the A-League and the coach believes their backs-to-the-wall win against a rampant Victory, when they held out for virtually the entire second half to preserve their slender lead, was a significant step in his side's development.

And man of the match Thomas Sorensen, City's veteran goalkeeper, agrees. The 39-year-old was outstanding, making a number of superb saves to keep his team in the ascendancy when it seemed at any time in the second period Victory must surely get an equaliser.

"We rode our luck, I made a couple of real good saves, we had some blocks on the line. I think we fought hard and got over the line," said the Dane.

"No matter what the result (of the derby) we still fancy ourselves as the season progresses. It's a big step, we are right at the top of the table and that's where we want to be, in amongst the big games at the end of the season.

"We want to be competing with the likes of Victory who have won a few championships. To get there you have to be winning these sorts of games.

"I think we can get better but we are scoring goals. You can always win games when you score goals."

That's something of an understatement where City is concerned. The team from Latrobe has netted 16 goals in its last four matches – an astonishing average of four goals a game – and only conceded three.

Van 't Schip has a potent array of attacking weapons at his disposal, with Uruguayan Bruno Fornaroli, Socceroo midfielder Aaron Mooy and French winger Harry Novillo regarded as the most potent.

So it was a real boost for him and the team that the heroes on Saturday evening were the lesser lights, youngster Stefan Mauk and a midfielder who is only now beginning to establish himself as an A League regular, Paulo Retre.

It's all a far cry from early in November when City crashed 3-0 at home to Western Sydney Wanderers, and fans and critics were sharpening the axe as calls for van 't Schip's head grew louder.

Since that loss City has won four on the spin, against Perth, Central Coast, Newcastle and now Victory, and drawn away from home with then league leader Brisbane.

But by far the most significant win came on Saturday night because it came against a good team whose pride was hurt and whose desperation was immense.

City had been able to look good while coasting to three relatively unchallenged wins before its encounter with Victory. 

This time it had to show fighting qualities, determination, grit, commitment and the kind of resilience not always associated with Melbourne City in the past.

City lost its ever present young centre back Connor Chapman with a serious knee injury last week, which will keep him out for several months, but his teammates simply regrouped and adjusted to life without him.

They fought, scrambled and contested everything in a second half in which they at times seemed certain to concede. But with Sorensen an immense figure behind them, they held Victory at bay.

Sometimes wins like that can say more about a team's championship potential than any number of soft victories – a point van 't Schip acknowledged afterwards.

"The character that we showed was very important building on this game. That gives me a lot of joy looking forward. In the past it often went the other way. Because of everybody backing each other up we got this great result.

"Credit to the boys, their fighting spirit was unbelievable. The fans cheered them through the game, which was also important.

"We have seen and got a lot of confidence from the last games we played. We are scoring goals, creating chances, playing some really good football, working also on our defensive side.

"You saw the character in the team, the backing up, the fighting, it's another thing that is getting to another level. Hopefully we can build from there and make another step.

"We have won games before against Victory ... in the derbies they still lead. It's about growing as a club and growing as a team. That's the most important thing."

There is no doubt that wins such as this do a great deal not just to build self-belief but to help develop the culture of the club. 

City fans are still comfortably outnumbered by Victory's but if the Manchester City owned club is to build a bigger fan base it is performances like this one, characterised as much by spirit and passion as skill, that will help greatly.

The light blues are on the march: they still need to improve, as van 't Schip concedes but the return from injury of experienced players such as Aaron Hughes, Robi Koren and Michael Zullo will only strengthen their hand. These are exciting times at the City Football Academy.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-city-weather-the-storm-and-put-down-a-championship-marker-in-derby-drama-20151220-glrv7o.html

Right-back Ivan Franjic, in his first derby, called the second-half switch-off an onslaught.

"These are games in the past that we would drop points or lose and it showed the character of the boys," he told AAP.

"It was unbelievable how we just stood strong and got the result."

For the Socceroo, the result was indicative of the club's trajectory.

"City's a club rising," he said.

"We've got the best facilities in the league and it's the club you want to be at."

"People were saying this was our test, this was our test.

"It's still early in the season but our destiny is in our hands."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/30407883/a-league-melbourne-city-pass-test-of-a-league-character/

The only reason why stats are so in favor of vic is because JVS told our players to give up the midfield and defend only. Hoping for the counter. The same tactics he used on other derbies when we were smashed. Yes, it was tough weather, yes it was Ben Williams who did everything in 2d half to help muscut, but the main reason was JVS and his lack of trust in the ability of our midfield to maintain the total football which gave us 2 goals in the 1st half.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I enjoyed the win, I said so, but I'm not going losing my shit saying "We're gonna win the league", when its obvious that there are major issues with how we play and the players we have and we most certainly NOT win the league playing this way and with the tam we have. I don't care that we scrape a derby win. 

Put it this way: on 442 one of the tards put up 3 recent  trophy winning photo's of them.  And then a dressing room photo of our boys celebrating last nights win-CITY'S GRAND FINAL he called it. And hes right!  Its fucking sad.

Not sad at all. Thats a sore loser comment. Don't forget, they had a 5 year head start. We are only going to get better. Soak up this win. One day they will be a wooden spoon and see their number of fans shrunk! That will teach them for being an arrogant bunch of pricks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fredinho69 said:

Love reading the excuses on their forum and how angry they are at Williams for giving it to them at the end of the game yet love it when Berisha gives it to us. It goes both ways dickheads and this time we will enjoy it as much as we want!!! GO YOU CITY BOYS

Our players were giving it to them? I wasn't there so tell me what did our players do?

22 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I enjoyed the win, I said so, but I'm not going losing my shit saying "We're gonna win the league", when its obvious that there are major issues with how we play and the players we have and we most certainly NOT win the league playing this way and with the tam we have. I don't care that we scrape a derby win. 

Put it this way: on 442 one of the tards put up 3 recent  trophy winning photo's of them.  And then a dressing room photo of our boys celebrating last nights win-CITY'S GRAND FINAL he called it. And hes right!  Its fucking sad.

Come on mate, it's a derby. If the shoe had been on the other foot, Victory's players would have been carrying on like pork chops, just like our players were. You're not really going to get upset by them grasping at the lowest of low hanging fruit and playing that card, are you? It's just such a nothing/obvious/predictable jibe. We have now given ourselves a great chance to really announce ourselves as legitimate contenders over the next few weeks and getting three points from a game when you could easily have got one or none is all part of being a great team.

We've listened to our players and ex-players for years exemplify the 'If we win, we win; if we lose, we lose' philosophy. We've seen players (mostly past now) basically shrug their shoulders and stroll off the pitch countless times, after pissing more points down the drain. The emotion and the resilience of the players on Saturday night represented a major turning point in the mindset of our players, at least from my perspective.

I think Clisby would almost get a pass for his swift retribution/yellow card on Berisha alone (seconds after Berisha had taken out Mooy). Always good to see your role players sticking up for the star like that. Of course that's not all Clisby did on the night. I thought he was very good.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, AlbionLoveDen said:

Watched the recorded replay and paused during the celebration of Mauk's goal. Harry's doing something quite R rated to Stefan's nether regions... 

Great, now Mauk will be out for at least a Germano with a surprise injury that he picked up in the derby. The franchise will be vague as usual about its precise nature

• Like 1

So now that we have beaten another team that has struggled defensively and can barely score goals the real test begins of what the team is made of.

Brisbane have been performing consistently well. Sydney are always tough to break down. The game against WSW will be big but perhaps even bigger depending on our runs coming into that game. 

Looking forward to seeing what we can do. 

13 hours ago, Fredinho69 said:

Love reading the excuses on their forum and how angry they are at Williams for giving it to them at the end of the game yet love it when Berisha gives it to us. It goes both ways dickheads and this time we will enjoy it as much as we want!!! GO YOU CITY BOYS

This dickhead should get off the crack...

dZeghuF.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MHFCRC said:

Do find it funny we constantly get accused of accepting mediocrity (which we clearly have in the past) and did so again after that photo was posted, yet they're happy with playing well and losing??

Its the beginning of the end:D

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Win feels far from hollow. if anything their usual bitching makes the win more sweet than it should because it has left such a deep cut. 

The way I see it they are just a pack of knobs who can't understand that it requires multiple clubs to make a league, and each of the clubs have to be capable of winning on any given day to have a competitive (and thus sustainable) league. whenever they lose they always bitch about the world being against them and act like a pack of inbreds who are happy to stone their own one week for being shite while praising them as a God the next. Those same knobs can never accept other teams are capable of being being better on the day. 

On a side note as both this game and the round two derby showed, a team can't afford to go down 2-0. You really are at the mercy of the opposition turning to shit, the ref being generous or the rub of the green purely go your way to get much out of the game (let alone getting anywhere near a win). 

Edited by mattyh001