Melbourne Football

Memberships 2015-16

Red or Dead

Numbers are looking good but not spectacular. As we are now at a point where we can forget that memberships opened 2 weeks after last year,  we are some 1,000 down from the same time last year. The encouraging thing is that over the last 2 weeks (and a graph will show this - hint, hint) the numbers have increased at a much faster rate than last year. Now that we have used all our marquee and visa spots we will only be able to generate media interest and attract members by the gradual route of winning (unless we sign the big name guest). Would love to see our numbers seriously challenge that other mob.

Numbers are looking good but not spectacular. As we are now at a point where we can forget that memberships opened 2 weeks after last year,  we are some 1,000 down from the same time last year. The encouraging thing is that over the last 2 weeks (and a graph will show this - hint, hint) the numbers have increased at a much faster rate than last year. Now that we have used all our marquee and visa spots we will only be able to generate media interest and attract members by the gradual route of winning (unless we sign the big name guest). Would love to see our numbers seriously challenge that other mob.

Win the FFA Cup and watch the memberships sky rocket! Next!

Good work R & D.

interesting to note the current trend is now parallel to last year's trend at the same time. FFA cup seems to have given it a slight boost.

So the post-Villa effect is still around a 40% improvement on the 2013/14 number. That's a positive. If only he'd stayed for his allotted 10 games rather than p!ss off early.

Going deep into the  FFA Cup will give membership another kick along.

How are we fairing against the other a-league clubs?

the following website actually tracks the memberships so hope it helps.

http://www.fromthestandsal.com/membership-tracker/ 

for the record (site has each number as at August 31);

1.Melbourne Victory21,490
 2.Western Sydney Wanderers16,225
 3.Sydney FC8,787
 4.Newcastle Jets6,422
 5.Melbourne City6,043
 6.Adelaide United4,427
 7.Perth Glory4,264
 8.Brisbane Roar3,442
 9. Central Coast Mariners3,434
 10. Wellington Phoenix1,787

My understanding is that Newcastle have the cheapest memberships in the league - for example, their approximate equivalent of our Premium A is their "Gold" category and is only $325 for an adult (our Premium A is $585) and includes:

• Entry to 14 home games
  • 2015/16 Member Kit
  • 15% discount on official Jets merchandise
  • 2x free tickets to bring a friend/s to the Round 13 match v Victory
  • ‘Forward your ticket to a friend’ for matches you cannot attend
  • Regular e-newsletter and exclusive Member First news
  • Entry to exclusive Member events- Gold Member, Member Season Launch, Christmas BBQ, Junior Clinic
  • Access to all Jets sponsor offers
  • $500 cash back on a new Hyundai. Visit Hyundai.com.au/football for more details
  • Priority purchase period for Jets finals matches
  • Membership of the Football Family including priority access to Socceroos matches and other offers
  • Opportunity to pay on the Annual Payment Plan or on the 8 Month Payment Plan

Obviously this sort of price difference is a significant factor. Nevertheless, in terms of population we should be running fourth. Our management has a lot of work ahead to stimulate interest in the Melbourne City.

My understanding is that Newcastle have the cheapest memberships in the league - for example, their approximate equivalent of our Premium A is their "Gold" category and is only $325 for an adult (our Premium A is $585) and includes:

• Entry to 14 home games
  • 2015/16 Member Kit
  • 15% discount on official Jets merchandise
  • 2x free tickets to bring a friend/s to the Round 13 match v Victory
  • ‘Forward your ticket to a friend’ for matches you cannot attend
  • Regular e-newsletter and exclusive Member First news
  • Entry to exclusive Member events- Gold Member, Member Season Launch, Christmas BBQ, Junior Clinic
  • Access to all Jets sponsor offers
  • $500 cash back on a new Hyundai. Visit Hyundai.com.au/football for more details
  • Priority purchase period for Jets finals matches
  • Membership of the Football Family including priority access to Socceroos matches and other offers
  • Opportunity to pay on the Annual Payment Plan or on the 8 Month Payment Plan

Obviously this sort of price difference is a significant factor. Nevertheless, in terms of population we should be running fourth. Our management has a lot of work ahead to stimulate interest in the Melbourne City.

It all comes down to value for money. If the club can provide better value, that is a better match day experience (winning more often than not) or better quality players (big name Marquee) or make the season ticket price less. Then we might see an increase. 

At the moment they are just working on retaining existing ticket holders and hopefully picking up more once the season starts. The 14k target at this point in time is way off. I think 10k is more realistic. 

They have alot of work to do, and to be frank I really don't care on the number really.

the following website actually tracks the memberships so hope it helps.

http://www.fromthestandsal.com/membership-tracker/ 

for the record (site has each number as at August 31);

1.Melbourne Victory21,490
 2.Western Sydney Wanderers16,225
 3.Sydney FC8,787
 4.Newcastle Jets6,422
 5.Melbourne City6,043
 6.Adelaide United4,427
 7.Perth Glory4,264
 8.Brisbane Roar3,442
 9. Central Coast Mariners3,434
 10. Wellington Phoenix1,787

We may have more membership then Adelaide and Roar as we dis last year but their average attendance was better than ours throughout the season

Edited by Tony999

The first thing we should be doing is undercutting the MV membership cost. If there's a new family wanting to join up for the first time and they see I can join one of two Melbourne teams. One has a better record than the other and is cheaper its not hard to see why people would go with them.

• Like 1

The surveys that City have conducted make me think they're far more interested in attracting wealthy young professionals than families.  They want to show they have that demographic to potential sponsors.  Cheaper memberships aren't a part of that strategy.

It's just a feeling rather than a solid theory, though.  Those surveys seem far too interested in my wage and industry that any desires I have for the club.

The surveys that City have conducted make me think they're far more interested in attracting wealthy young professionals than families.  They want to show they have that demographic to potential sponsors.  Cheaper memberships aren't a part of that strategy.

It's just a feeling rather than a solid theory, though.  Those surveys seem far too interested in my wage and industry that any desires I have for the club.

Possibly - maybe after wealthy families given they are also trying to flog their kids training programs

The first thing we should be doing is undercutting the MV membership cost. If there's a new family wanting to join up for the first time and they see I can join one of two Melbourne teams. One has a better record than the other and is cheaper its not hard to see why people would go with them.

I agree with this. We are the only club that is in direct competition with another club from the same city with no geographical distinction between the two; Sydney and WSW are not competitive in the same way.

Not sure whether it's a preference for individual professionals over families headed up by professionals, but I share your feeling that we're going for the higher end of the socio-economic scale than the lower end. TBH I think that Heart did that right from the start, and that's why we were a good fit for CFG.

If you work it out to a value proposition - I think 7 games is a good amount of games for someone to get down to of the 14 or so home games there are.

At an adult price of $25 at the gate, that's $175. Therefore the $250 doesn't provide value. 

Memberships are value when you cross that $250 mark, or people buy memberships because it tugs on the heart strings and is a must buy.  

• Like 1

I made every home match last season. Unfortunately I have further surgery looming, so this season will be more like 12 and possibly 13. I'd suggest the cut-off is 10 matches; fewer than that and a season-ticket is not worth it, unless you are fussy about where you sit. Apart from having to get a ticket for each match that is.

If you take Adult Premium A at $585 then in my view that really is a bit steep, especially when you consider Rows A-G are exposed to the weather if it rains, and if you're on the Eastern Side then you could be in full sun for a number of matches. Fortunately I've been able to change my seats for this season so I'm well under cover..

You're quite right about value for money, but at this stage it would appear that the club is not overly concerned about it.

im also prem a and row c i think .pretty much behind the visitors bench. It is very expensive for what it is, there is this old dude who sits near me and always stands up and gives it to the visitor bench and his wife just sits there with her head in her hands ahah

Ha! I'm the Premium B version of the guy you just described...except I'm not old and in Row A. The poor linesmen cop most of my anger though...poor guys! Lol

Even if for some reason I couldn't attend all the home games, I'd renew just so I can keep my front row seats; they're great for leaning my cider on ;) 

im also prem a and row c i think .pretty much behind the visitors bench. It is very expensive for what it is, there is this old dude who sits near me and always stands up and gives it to the visitor bench and his wife just sits there with her head in her hands ahah

Hahahahaha that guy is hilarious, the best is when he says something to the visitors bench, and then turns around to everyone behind him as if to say "how good was that call ayy?"

• Like 1