Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

1 hour ago, JC22 said:

Just heard from a source inside the club that he isn't going anywhere.

IS that because he is contracted and therefore will leave at the end of next season? Or have they come to an agreement for a marquee deal?

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

IS that because he is contracted and therefore will leave at the end of next season? Or have they come to an agreement for a marquee deal?

Don't have any more detail apart from that unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

City unlikely to cave in to Fornaroli demands in game of brinkmanship

It's all gone quiet on the Bruno Fornaroli front as Melbourne City prepare to face down a demand for a huge hike in salary by the Uruguayan striker, who made such an impact in his first season in the A-League.

The South American scored 25 goals in his first year in sky blue and white and, not surprisingly, feels he is worth more than the reported $250,000 a year deal he accepted when he joined the club.

City  want to retain their top scorer, and have offered an upgrade to make him one of their marquee players, with a deal said to be worth around $700,000 to $800,000 a year.

That is a substantial increase, although well short of the $2 million a year being bandied around that Fornaroli is believed to be seeking.

The striker still has one year left on his deal, and City would be perfectly entitled to insist that he plays out the terms of his contract.

But the club also wants to ensure they keep a prized asset onside, hence an increased and extended offer. 

Fornaroli cannot be blamed for testing the market, but he also has to be careful that he doesn't test it to destruction. 

Contrary to common assumptions, City do not have an endless mountain of cash to throw at players. Yes, they have huge reserves, and would undoubtedly spend an enormous amount if they could attract a big-name star who would deliver on the pitch and build their crowds and image. But those sort of players now are more likely to look to the Chinese Super League.

The La Trobe University-based side does have to work within its own budgetary constraints too, both the FFA-imposed salary cap and the spending limits put in place by their owners, English Premier League giants Manchester City.

For all  his brilliant  contributions last season, Fornaroli did not bring punters through the gates in huge numbers. 

City have a price and value on all of their players, and if a club came in with the right transfer offer and the right personal deal for the player, then it is likely City would sell him.

However, the Uruguayan is unlikely to command the sort of big money from cashed-up Chinese teams that ageing European superstars do and he might find a multi-million-dollar package hard to come by.

He has played in Europe and been with some prestigious clubs - Sampdoria and Panathinaikos  - as well as the lesser-known Recreativo Huelva.

But he never became an established striker in Spain, Italy or Greece, making a combined 51 appearances in those three countries between spells in his native country and Argentina.

Fornaroli was a sensation in his first season, but City are also likely to want to see that he can repeat that performance in season two, when defenders know more about him and rival coaches will set up to shut him down.

City will be confident that with access to the Manchester club's European scouting system they can find another Fornaroli-type player should he  go. After all, no-one had heard of him until he arrived here last season.

* Former assistant coach Jean-Paul de Marigny will reunite with Melbourne Victory head coach Kevin Muscat for the 2016-17 season.

De Marigny, who was Muscat's No.2 when the club won the premiership/championship double in 2014-15, returns  after spending last season with Newcastle Jets. 

He replaces Rado Vidosic, who has left after one season as Muscat's assistant.

Ive heard we have upped to 1.2mil and added an extra year. Hopefully he accepts. 

17 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Ive heard we have upped to 1.2mil and added an extra year. Hopefully he accepts. 

Can totally understand him asking for more, but i think that  (1.2M) is just about the right mark.

After all it's a 1M increase on last season. Hope he accepts too.

This whole situation pisses me off so much. The bloke is arguably the best player in the history of the league and we are without a doubt the richest club in the history of the league. We threw away about $2 million over two seasons for Koren who is an absolute hack, and according to the article we'd be open to spending money on a big name with no guarantee they'll be any good. Bruno is the perfect player for this club. He's unbelievably talented, he's passionate, he loves the city, the fans all adore him and he seems like a great guy. Why not just throw some of the sheik's trillions at him? People on this forum and the club want big names? Make Fornaroli the biggest name in this country. Put him on the park scoring goals every week and busting his arse for the team, and market the shit out of him off the pitch. Put his face on billboards all over Melbourne, put him on tv, put him on the radio, plaster him everywhere! You want to build a fanbase and bring some more money into this club? Put Bruno on display for all to see and people will come and watch. I've brought people who know nothing about football or the a league to games this year and every time, no matter the result, they've said that they would come again and pay money just to see Mooy and Fornaroli. The man is everything this club has ever needed, just give him what he wants and get him to sign on the dotted line. FFS. Frank fucking Lampard is on $6 million a season in New York getting booed by his own fans and barely playing a game. If CFG want to make their investment worthwhile, then give the fans what they want by just giving a player they love and who will bring them success the deal he wants. Its's that simple. I know Melbourne has its own budget or whatever but surely this is more important than making the club's bank statements look better. /rant

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rass said:

Can totally understand him asking for more, but i think that  (1.2M) is just about the right mark.

After all it's a 1M increase on last season. Hope he accepts too.

He will. He pretty much has no choice.

If he knocks back the offer he will earn 1 mil less than what he otherwise would, and be risking future earnings on the back of having another career best season. I doubt he's ever earned anything near 1mil per season as it is. City well and truly have him on toast here.
And from what I've heard he doesn't care that much about the cash anyway, he's obviously holding out to get as much as he can which is in his best interests, but he is more than content to stay here and earn a cool mil a year for three years. 

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If he signs so be it. Either way he is with us next season. 

See how he performs next season with a different team dynamic.

I cringe when there is something remotely mentioned about JVS. Hope he plays his own game and not listen to the tanned man.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if media is ever going to understand the difference between Manchester City FC and City Football Group Ltd (CFG).. But then I struggle to convince people in Manchester that CFG is

Top floors, building in the middle.. 10 Brock Street, London
478231c8d84c168052b206180ccd5ec8.400x300

Edited by M13

4 minutes ago, M13 said:

I wonder if media is ever going to understand the difference between Manchester City FC and City Football Group Ltd (CFG).. But then I struggle to convince people in Manchester that CFG is

Top floors, building in the middle.. 10 Brock Street, London
478231c8d84c168052b206180ccd5ec8.400x300

I wonder if I'll understand the difference. All decisions appear to be made in Manchester and are focused on what can benefit their brand. CFG just appears to be the holding company for Manchester City FC and its ad ons. 

19 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I wonder if I'll understand the difference. All decisions appear to be made in Manchester and are focused on what can benefit their brand. CFG just appears to be the holding company for Manchester City FC and its ad ons. 

And people in Manchester complained bitterly just months ago how everything Manchester City is being streamlined to sync with New York City FC in regards to kits and colours etc.

Fornaroli back in City's A-League camp

Ben McKay

July 5, 2016

The breakout star of last season's A-League, Bruno Fornaroli, is back in training with Melbourne City but is yet to sign a new deal at the club.

Fornaroli, 28, was the last man to join City's pre-season training after receiving an extended break for his record-setting exploits of the 2015/16 campaign.

The Uruguayan tallied 23 regular-season goals - the most of any individual in and A-League campaign - and two more in an elimination final victory over Perth Glory in his barnstorming season.

His return is good news for any City fans fearful he could be the third member of their much-feared attacking trio to depart the club.

Fornaroli, Aaron Mooy (11 goals, 20 assists) and Harry Novillo (10 goals, five assists) combined for 46 goals last season.

Mooy struck a mega-money deal to join sister club Manchester City and is expected to spend the season on loan, either in Europe or in England's second-tier Championship.

French forward Novillo didn't return to Melbourne after taking off for his holiday, instead signing for Turkish second division club Manisaspor last month.

But while City's attacking trident is no more, John van `t Schip's side is expected to have plenty of forward-line firepower at his disposal for the new campaign.

City are expected to formalise a new agreement for `El Tuna' to become an international marquee in the coming weeks, with Socceroos legend Tim Cahill heavily linked with the club as a season-long guest player.

Winger Corey Gameiro is also improving in his rehabilitation from an ACL injury, hoping to be fit for the start of the season in October.

As the club waits to learn if it has landed Cahill, new faces are getting to know each other at City Football Academy.

Championship-winning winger Bruce Kamau, Luke Brattan, Manny Muscat and teenage talent Daniel Arzani have joined in pre-season training.

City's first fixture of the new season was confirmed on Tuesday, an FFA Cup match with West Australian side Floreat Athena on August 2 in Perth.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/31989840/fornaroli-back-in-citys-a-league-camp/#page1

On 6 July 2016 at 10:40 PM, MattN said:

Bit of worthless trivia 

Stumbling across Bruno's Facebook page I see he is trained in "Uruguayan sign language". Perhaps there's a bit more to his classic celebration?

On the subject of this, does anyone actually have any idea what it means? He does it after every single goal, and going off all of his highlight videos he never seemed to do it at any of his old clubs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • jw1739 locked this topic