Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

with the contacts CFG have, 4 of our visa players should be of Berisha/broich/khallfallah level in that they should be playing at a marquee standard but fitting under the cap. While our international marquee should be the best marquee in the league and our Australian marquee should be the best Australian player currently playing in the a-league

This is easier said than done. The real problem is no one really knows how visa players are going to perform until they get here. The big names are can be past it and therefore their impact is muted and then there are players that come here as unknowns and flourish. Berisha is a good example of the latter. Finding the right players that will flourish is going to be difficult.

I think the key attributes for our attacking visa players (not counting marquee) should be that they can split open a defence, beat a player, create opportunities, attack & defend & score goals and be a hard worker.  Being able to play across multiple positions would be a bonus.

If they are a defender, they need size, pace, a good passing game, be able to score at set peices and have plenty of experience.

Our Visa players should all come from 3 classes.

1. Player from a 2nd or 3rd tier European comp, b/w 25 to 30 years in age

2. Unknown or lessor league player from the rest of world (like Sufuwan) (under 28)

3. Manchester City youth player

On Novillio, if he could lift his work rate and defend better, he would be someone that we should absolutely re-sign.  If he cannot improve this part of his game he will cost us as many goals as he scores.

Edited by Torn Asunder

Herald Sun saying we made him an offer but he's after more cash.

"Tell him he's dreaming"

Cant seem to find it, you got a link?

TBH I hope we're not "negotiating" with Harry N. or any of the others coming out of contract that we haven't already released.

Make them a sound offer and they can take it or leave it. I don't see any other A-League clubs lining up to sign our players, and we're never going to win anything if we keep re-signing the same old carthorses.

• Like 1

I think Novillo is worth a good wage tbh. He was getting better every week as he became more match fit.

Would you seriously fork out big wages for a bloke was just "geting better"

To me you have to prove you deserve the rise in wage.

I think he should be on a 1 year contract and if he blitzes it, review it midseason and give the bloke a better deal the following season

There is a difference between good wage and big wage, he would be on fuck all now and after what he showed the second half of his stint I would not be surprised other teams would be after him too.

Personally I doubt he was on "fuck all". As much as 6k/week potentially. The Greek construction worker via tony said we'd offered 200k (which to me is more than he's worth) but who knows.

There is a difference between good wage and big wage, he would be on fuck all now and after what he showed the second half of his stint I would not be surprised other teams would be after him too.

Personally I doubt he was on "fuck all". As much as 6k/week potentially. The Greek construction worker via tony said we'd offered 200k (which to me is more than he's worth) but who knows.

If we've offered him $200,000 then that's an example of why our squad has so much deadwood and why we never get anywhere. IMO not worth anything like that. He'd be lucky to get on the bench for Victory or Sydney, and they're the current benchmarks for our league.

• Like 1

200K would be fair value in my view.

He has shown promise but a long way to go.

That poses a question with respect to visa players - do we get visa players to develop or do they join the club already experienced with their only development fitting into the team and game plan? If the former then I would be happy with Safuwan joining the club, if the latter then neither Safuwan nor Novillo should be at the club.

No way Novillo should be placed in the 'development' basket- he is past that stage already. He is here ( and keen to stay), he is young and he is effing good. I'd pay him up to 250-300K if he wanted it. He will be brilliant next year. I wouldn't take Safuwan. Just not quite the level of quality we should be aiming for in our Visa players IMO.

Edited by tommac

I think that depends on a few things, age being the major factor. Novillo at 22 after being in the systems he was in as a youth I think that is worthy of a project type scenario.

Not when we have only five Visa positions available on the squad.

TBH don't get what everyone sees in this bloke. Perhaps because all our local wingers have been rubbish? But have a look at France Ligue 2 and there are plenty of blokes like Harry N. running around there trying to make a name for themselves.

We're supposed to have 36 scouts combing the world for emerging talent for the clubs in the CFG. If Novillo is the best that they can come up with then heaven help us.

• Like 2

Maybe I am seeing something different to you blokes, but I rate him, the work he did in the semi-final he was pretty much the only bloke on the field doing anything. He is a big game player and his foot skills are very good imo. It's taken a few games to settle and get used to the league but I would expect that of anyone coming in from OS.

I think that depends on a few things, age being the major factor. Novillo at 22 after being in the systems he was in as a youth I think that is worthy of a project type scenario.

Not when we have only five Visa positions available on the squad.

TBH don't get what everyone sees in this bloke. Perhaps because all our local wingers have been rubbish? But have a look at France Ligue 2 and there are plenty of blokes like Harry N. running around there trying to make a name for themselves.

We're supposed to have 36 scouts combing the world for emerging talent for the clubs in the CFG. If Novillo is the best that they can come up with then heaven help us.

If Novillo is the worst visa signing we make this coming season then that's not a bad situation at all. If he's the best visa signing we have this coming season then it's a concern. For me from that perspective I think he's worth signing.

• Like 2

I think every signing must be the best possible available for position/price. All signings must be looked at in isolation and not compared to other possible players coming in and existing. And above all must be seen as genuine starting players. Our core contracted group need to be improved and only bringing in better players either taking their spots or making them fight to retain spots will the squad improve.

Therefore Novillo imo should not be signed.

with the contacts CFG have, 4 of our visa players should be of Berisha/broich/khallfallah level in that they should be playing at a marquee standard but fitting under the cap. While our international marquee should be the best marquee in the league and our Australian marquee should be the best Australian player currently playing in the a-league

.....and the squad fillers should be the best in the league. Therefore, we're ganna win the league!

I think every signing must be the best possible available for position/price. All signings must be looked at in isolation and not compared to other possible players coming in and existing. And above all must be seen as genuine starting players. Our core contracted group need to be improved and only bringing in better players either taking their spots or making them fight to retain spots will the squad improve.

Therefore Novillo imo should not be signed.

And we need to get our signings right starting from the top down, not the bottom up. Signing Novillo at this time would make it seem that we would have him, Germano and Koren taking three of the five available Visa places in the squad.

None of those three would, IMO, get a starting spot for Victory or Sydney, the current benchmarks for this league.

There's enough mediocrity in our squad already. 

I don't get how people don't rate this guy. He scored 3 in 8 games if I'm right ( with a few of those off the bench) and came to us lacking match sharpness. In the 2 finals games he was our best player, and is constantly threatening the opposition fullbacks, and testing the keeper. He can be a bit tempestuous sure, but if we sign him and he is fit all season, many people here will be eating their (pessimistic) words.

• Like 6

I don't get how people don't rate this guy. He scored 3 in 8 games if I'm right ( with a few of those off the bench) and came to us lacking match sharpness. In the 2 finals games he was our best player, and is constantly threatening the opposition fullbacks, and testing the keeper. He can be a bit tempestuous sure, but if we sign him and he is fit all season, many people here will be eating their (pessimistic) words.

Took part in 10 matches.

Total minutes 707

Goals 2 (excludes o.g. by Glen Moss, Phoenix)

Assists 0

I hear what your saying and i am a very optimistic person even delusional at times but my pessimism in Novillo case is due to too many IFs scenarios. We cannot afford to hope he comes good. As a visa player he must be good. Needs to produce similar to Duff that is his quiet games are still good. I just don't see him producing week in week out solid games. It's almost a repeat of Williams situation last season.

I would be totally rapt if I'm wrong.

In Novillo, I see someone just as good as FBK over at the tards, but 10 years younger.

Everyone's talking about how FBK ripped the comp apart this season, whilst we question if Novillo is worth it.

Given the strike force that complement FBK,  I'm pretty sure if we swapped both players around, we would have been talking about how Novillo smashed the season... and FBK was a dud for us.

So if we can get the right players around him, I think Novillo could really be something special for us.

LOL. Novillo and FBK aren't on the same level. FBK is twice the player at least.

Been saying it all along, people are just blinded by the fact he is flashy and has a bit of technical skill. Doesn't deliver enough, not for the wage he would want.

Wouldnt mind seeing him up front though, seems like he'd be more suited there than on the wing. Especially alongside Kennedy.

Edited by Tesla

Novillo would be in the first 5 players picked every week. Gives us something up front which we severely lack and that is blistering pace, running at defenders and shooting at goals.

Shooting at goal a fundamental skill when one is required to score goals to win games.

How could anyone not think this signing would be a good one? If we don't sign him he will be snapped out by someone else in a flash.

Sign this kid.

Given a pre season with the squad I think he'll be deadly this season. Getting dumped into a team in a foreign country with limited preparation isn't the ideal situation.

It took FBK half a dozen games before he began proving his doubters wrong. He was constantly making the wrong decisions when teammates where in better positions but went on his own on most occasions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...