Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

It's great news that he signs on with us. However I will reserve my excitement about it. The jury is still out on weather Navillo can be a consistent Finisher.. he gets into great scoring positions and on more than 1 occasion has failed to do so...

We all remember the Perth Game.. Navillo could of had a hat-trick...

Does this signal Wilo is out??

It's great news that he signs on with us. However I will reserve my excitement about it. The jury is still out on weather Navillo can be a consistent Finisher.. he gets into great scoring positions and on more than 1 occasion has failed to do so...

We all remember the Perth Game.. Navillo could of had a hat-trick...

Does this signal Wilo is out??

Not necessarily. All it could mean that Wilo would line be on the bench as an impact player, which this season is where he played best compared as to when he was in the starting XI.

And as you rightly pointed out, Novillo can score but he is inconsistent. Also there is that little matter of the hammy he pulled in the last game. Willo would be a back up.

I'd be pretty pleased if Novillo was signed, because he's an excellent dribbler, who protects the ball very well with his body, and consequently wins lots of fouls.

And two stats about Melbourne City's 1st season that's have really surprised me are the dribbling stats:

Successful Dribbles

Melbourne victory 319

Wellington 319

Adelaide 305

Central Coast 296

Sydney FC 286

Brisbane 272

Western Sydney 269

Newcastle 238

Perth 211

Melbourne City 178

Dribbles Success %

Sydney FC 54.1%

Central Coast 53.9%

Wellington 53.2%

Adelaide 52.2%

Western Sydney 52%

Newcastle 51.6%

Brisbane 51.2%

Perth 50.4%

Melbourne victory 50.2%

Melbourne City 47.5%

In short, Melbourne City need more players who can hold onto the ball and move it around the pitch, and Novillo is a skillful dribbler who can do just that. I believe that's why he has a much better fouls won per minutes ratio than Melbourne City's other wingers: Novillo 1 foul won per 29.8 minutes, Williams 1 foul won per 43 minutes, Dungzandic 1 foul won per 47 minutes, Ramsay 1 foul won per 272 minutes (Ramsay only got fouled 4 times all season).

Hopefully City sign another mobile and skillful dribbler or two over the off-season & pre-season, because the team really needs more players who can take care of the ball. 

Edited by Murfy1

I'd be pretty pleased if Novillo was signed, because he's an excellent dribbler, who protects the ball very well with his body, and consequently wins lots of fouls.

And two stats about Melbourne City's 1st season that's have really surprised me are the dribbling stats:

Successful Dribbles

Melbourne victory 319

Wellington 319

Adelaide 305

Central Coast 296

Sydney FC 286

Brisbane 272

Western Sydney 269

Newcastle 238

Perth 211

Melbourne City 178

Dribbles Success %

Sydney FC 54.1%

Central Coast 53.9%

Wellington 53.2%

Adelaide 52.2%

Western Sydney 52%

Newcastle 51.6%

Brisbane 51.2%

Perth 50.4%

Melbourne victory 50.2%

Melbourne City 47.5%

In short, Melbourne City need more players who can hold onto the ball and move it around the pitch, and Novillo is a skillful dribbler who can do just that. I believe that's why he has a much better fouls won per minutes ratio than Melbourne City's other wingers: Novillo 1 foul won per 29.8 minutes, Williams 1 foul won per 43 minutes, Dungzandic 1 foul won per 47 minutes, Ramsay 1 foul won per 272 minutes (Ramsay only got fouled 4 times all season).

Hopefully City sign another mobile and skillful dribbler or two over the off-season & pre-season, because the team really needs more players who can take care of the ball.

Yeah, that was something that has been a major issue with us. We had no player who can pick up the ball and have the confidence to beat a defender and really attack with the ball to get forward. When Novillo came on for his first appearance, I knew that he could change that.
  • Like 1

Interview with Novillo done in early April (Google translated):

HARRY NOVILLO: "AUSTRALIA IS THE BEST PLACE TO INTRUDE"

April 1, 2015

Harry Novillo is a pure product of the training center of Olympique Lyonnais. This same formation that sees today Fekir hatch, Lacazette, Gonalons, Lopes ... He stayed at the club for many years, while being loaned to Havre Ajaccio. He also had a short stay in Belgium in Mons before joining Clermont. Today, here in Australia.

Today Novillo is in Australia, after having landed there a few weeks. In fact, at the beginning of March, Melbourne City ( held by "City Group" see article ) announces the arrival of French as wildcard for a contract of 3 months following the injury to Damian Duff (ex-Chelsea and Fulham).

We managed to get in touch with the player after the meeting between Brisbane Roar and Melbourne City. The opportunity to debrief the first months of his Australian experience and a quick review of his early career.Australia, a new Eldorado football?  

One more week in your new Australian life. Are you satisfied with the club?

Things are good. We won place today, we are in a good position for the playoffs. We will do everything to stay in good shape, we are focused on all the remaining matches.

What is your best memory at OL?

Probably my first game. Because we never forget his professional debut. I played 16 years in Lyon, the club is in my heart. I could never forget the club. I lived incredible things that I can not forget. I have only good memories.

As a footballer, how do you describe yourself?

I think I'm fast, I try to use my technique at best. As a striker, I have found the course and I think my finish is pretty good. I work every day to make progress, necessary for myself but also for the team.

You played in Belgium, how do you compare the two championships? 

I think it is difficult to compare the two. The level is much better in France than in Belgium. Only one or two Belgian teams could compete with the best French teams. The championship tricolor is raised, there is a lot of good players , quality really. 

Why did you choose to go to Australia when the opportunity arose?

For me it was a new challenge.This allowed me to see new people, new people and new players. I like to discover things. I like to go to places where I've never been. Now I think I'm probably in the right place. Here, I smile all the time. As soon as I get up, I smile, I laugh. This has not always been the case in the past.

What do you think of the level of the A-League so far?

The level is good, it is a good championship. There are good players in particular in Melbourne. Games are played. In 5 years, I think the A-League can become one of the best leagues.

At Melbourne Victory, there Fahid Bel Khalfallah. The have you ever met here?

I've never met him, but I know him well after its passage in Bordeaux. Here, he grabbed a good opportunity. I saw a few games, he is really good, I enjoy it. If we play the against each other, it will win.

Do you think you can leave a trace in Australia?

I did that three months is short, but if I make a good preparation with the team, I hope. I hope to have the opportunity to impact the A-League, but I have to find the good club. Melbourne City I put all the cards, but I only have 3 months. This is just to show what I can do. I have to be at 100% all the time. I did 23 years old, if I stay in Australia, I think I can impose myself and mark my borrows. Perhaps some think so, others will say that this is not the right place for me. I personally think This is the best place to impose.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com.au&sl=fr&u=http://www.outsider-mag.fr/harry-novillo-laustralie-est-le-meilleur-endroit-pour-mimposer/&usg=ALkJrhj3RkpTuM4vRTMbzpcjKmFtYnHWQg

Herald Sun saying we made him an offer but he's after more cash.

"Tell him he's dreaming"

This was always the risk.

In a salary capped league we are stuck really trying to get promising visa players that aren't over 30 and injury prone.

Lets hope that the "lifestyle" element that he has talked about is actually not just rhetoric.He's promising, but has a long way to go to.

Edited by Heart_fan

"Tell him he's dreaming"

In a salary capped league we are stuck really trying to get promising visa players that aren't over 30 and injury prone.

Lets hope that the "lifestyle" element that he has talked about is actually not just rhetoric.He's promising, but has a long way to go to.

The fact is none of you know how much he was on, so asking for above the initial offer is entirely reasonable. In fact it is normal.

"Tell him he's dreaming"

The fact is none of you know how much he was on, so asking for above the initial offer is entirely reasonable. In fact it is normal. Well there is that, but then again if you take into account it's the crazy season, our response is perfectly acceptable!

• Like 1

"Tell him he's dreaming"

As much as I'm not a big fan of this guy, he isn't dreaming, he is an EU player so he has many opportunities to command a salary that's better than what we can offer (at least in terms of purchasing power, if not in nominal terms as well). That's part of why I'm so against him, because I know if he stays he'll be on a big salary, and he isn't worth it.

If there is a big gap between the offer and the expectation, I would think both parties will just move on.

We can't afford to pay top dollar to Novillo, not when our rivals sign under the cap guys like Berisha, carrusca, Isais & Ben K

Carrusca is the marquee

Didn't know that Dylan.

Is it marquee level wages though, or is he just the most expensive of the imports?

Yeah it was posted here a while ago that carrusca wassnt because i think on wikipedia it doesnt list him as one. But there is the article where he was signed floating around saying that he was the marquee

For a footballer to ask for more money would be reasonable if he has proven that he us worth more. From Members point of view, in the few games he has played I didn't feel as though we need this guy. I go back to the Perth game were he missed chance after chance...

Footballers need to play, I would think it's more important that amount of years on a contract not the money. You can always re-negotiate, if you play well you can get contracted to another club for more money.. At 23years old he is trying to secure his future based on nothing, as in no Titles, no significant interest from another club, we can't say he has been a consistent performer..

To ask for more $$$ I would think is a tad premature

For a footballer to ask for more money would be reasonable if he has proven that he us worth more. From Members point of view, in the few games he has played I didn't feel as though we need this guy. I go back to the Perth game were he missed chance after chance...

Footballers need to play, I would think it's more important that amount of years on a contract not the money. You can always re-negotiate, if you play well you can get contracted to another club for more money.. At 23years old he is trying to secure his future based on nothing, as in no Titles, no significant interest from another club, we can't say he has been a consistent performer..

To ask for more $$$ I would think is a tad premature

Hmmm, that's your point of view, not the members. 

I for one would love to see him play for us next season. He was a replacement for Duff and by the end of the season, was by far our most dangerous player.

He's still young and probably wants some security for a while, so is chasing this deal. He has every right to ask whatever he wants - just like you have when you negotiate your own pay increase.

In the end however, it's up to the club to determine what is reasonable and if he is worth it. So no point in any of us trying to dictate if he is worth it or not.

I assume he came over for less than he would have liked given how his career was going in Europe and given it was a short term contract. Now its looking to be a longer term contract he would want more.

I expect most players want more money, I also want more money for the job I do. The club can work it out.

We don't know what he was being paid or what he wants to be paid. It is pointless for us to speculate too much.

with the contacts CFG have, 4 of our visa players should be of Berisha/broich/khallfallah level in that they should be playing at a marquee standard but fitting under the cap. While our international marquee should be the best marquee in the league and our Australian marquee should be the best Australian player currently playing in the a-league