Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

I'm confident we will make the 8 this season barring an injury crisis. Feel like there's so much talent in the midfield/on-the-ball with Goddard, Watson, Heppell (even though I think he is overrated as fuck), Cooney, Chapman, Zaharakis etc. that we won't lose more than 1-2 games where we are considered favourites. If all the players I listed stay fit and play close to 20 games I think we should honestly be considered for a Top 4 spot.

That is interesting what you think about Heppell...

The Haircut (Which looks shocking in a suit at Caulfield Young Members FWIW), the tendency of Bombers fans to overate blokes (See Gavin Wanganeen) plus a few other things has always made me always want to write him of as a Seagull.

However, from what I saw of him last Season I have had to concede that he is a very very good player both inside and out and I even would take him over Dangerfield if Geelong could cherry pick a youngish midfielder from any other club.

Ridiculous how many handball receives he gets from Jobe. Been like that his whole career. What's irked me is that If he didn't have the hair/look he wouldn't be as popular. I know every team needs outside players and I do respect his ability to find the footy and his disposal is good. But you'll rarely see the bloke successfully fly into packs or even win a 1on1 where he doesn't have a head start.

And on your Wanganeen point, I think Bombers fans just loved having an indigenous player who was consistent lol.

I def agree the Haircut has helped his profile - I mean the Bulldogs based their Kids Membership Package a few years back around Dahlhaus having crazy hair.

I know you would already know this but I will say it anyway but I actually think he could win a lot of more of the hard ball if he was directed to do as such but his job at Clearances is to be more of a receiver because that is where he is most damaging.

It was the same with Gazza at Geelong, when he went from a good player to a superstar in 2007 it had a lot to do with guys like Bartel, Ling and Corey winning the ball and in case of the later two using their bigger bodies to provide the blocks so that Ablett could get out into space and use his speed and skills.

Bomber Thompson was actually a pretty predictable coach once he had a very good formula worked out and in big games from 2007 to 2010 whenever another side scored an important goal he always went with the above centre square setup along obviously the Ottens. The only rare exception being sometimes in these circumstances he would move Gazza to Full Forward after the 2008 Forward Line Debacle showed we needed more variation. (In 2011 it was James Kelly who became the player who the others tried to form blocks around.)

However, I admit that I am always calling players Receivers and Seagulls when in the heat of the moment watching an opposition player cut up Geelong and I have def called Heppell one before in my time.

I have said this to Braveheart before but the best Receiver I ever saw live was Craig Bradley and it scares me how good he would have been if he was playing the modern era. He was obviously a Champion Footballer for when he played but in today's football landscape he would have been considered simply surreal ESP with all those last quarter goals he would break away and kick at Princess Park when Carlton were a few points down at the last change.

Edited by cadete

Early call. Malthouse to be sacked half way through the season.

Can only hope, didn't realise how good Ratten was for this club until he was gone.

Reminds me of when Pagan went to Carlton. Was a decent coach but ran out of new ideas. Sheedy's the same.

Early call. Malthouse to be sacked half way through the season.

Can only hope, didn't realise how good Ratten was for this club until he was gone. Never wanted Ratten to leave. Improved the side right away, made 3 successive finals and we went 5th without a key forward! Yes, 2012 was relatively poor the start of that season was still very impressive.

Malthouse won't get sacked, it's the last year of his contract isn't it?

Clark to neck himself by round 10

pull your head in fuckwit.

I've got the second funeral in 2 months to attend this week due to suicide.

yeh it might have been a joke(and a shit one at that) but fuck man, even for me, some things are off limits at.

Ive been to one too and it was extremely sad but either everything is fair game or nothing is. Just my philosophy.

• Like 2

yeh it might have been a joke(and a shit one at that) but fuck man, even for me, some things are off limits at.

Ive been to one too and it was extremely sad but either everything is fair game or nothing is. Just my philosophy. youre a dog cunt.

just my philosophy.

Ive been to one too and it was extremely sad but either everything is fair game or nothing is. Just my philosophy. youre a dog cunt.

just my philosophy.

ok dickhead. 

cowards way out, both suicide and clark leaving the dees, funny that he leaves and the dees win

Fuck me every time you comment I think you're stupidity has hit rock bottom but it just keeps getting worse.

I can actually only picture an eight year old Milhouse himself coming up with this retarded shit...

Out of Interest: Anybody here actually think Hawthorn will not win the flag?

I know its only Round One - And I might sound bias because it was my own team they dismantled and I do know that the Geelong team on Monday was a lot worse than the one's the Hawks took on last year. (We did play three debutants alongside Smedts, Bews and Blivcas all in the backline... the last of whom I concede did actually do quite well).

However I can't see another side who has the same list depth in terms of:

1. A strong Initial Group Hard Body Midfielders,

2. Strong List Depth in terms their second line of Midfielders allowing one of the above top liners (Hodge, Mitchell) to be placed down back to create play without hurting their Midfield.

3. Numerous options to use as forwards throughout their list if the obvious routes to goal are not working at first.

4. A Defence as strong as any other and experienced yet not too aged,

5. More than a couple of Outside Runners preventing sides from being able tagging such players out of the game.

6. More than sufficient Ruck Stocks

Believe me I am trying to find such options at other clubs as a Hawthorn Hater but both Sydney and Port come up short in at least two of the above categories even if I am being optimistic and who else really is there? I feel like I did as a six year old back in 1988 TBH.

Edited by cadete

Hawthorn are hot favourite no doubt, but its far from a done deal.

Use 2008 as a good example of no premiership is ever won until its over.

Look at it this way, there are 6 months to work out how to beat Hawthorn.

long time to pick up injuries, i reckon only port and sydney can challenge them

I have followed VFL/AFL closely from the 1988 Season until now...

I actually mean that as I knew the whole Cats side as a Six year old and had the whole deck of Footy Cards back in 1988 and I can honestly say that only twice in that time that the team that obviously should have won the flag did not and that was in 1993, 2008... even though there have been a few close ones in that time.

(Of course some would also argue 1999 - But I personally find making such an argument about a Non Grand Finalist a bit of a stretch.)

So that is 2 at most 3 out 26 years where things went the wrong way and largely out of bad luck... so you are looking at a 1 in 13 or at best 1 in 8 chance in something like that happening.

I actually mean that as I knew the whole Cats side as a Six year old and had the whole deck of Footy Cards back in 1988 and I can honestly say that only twice in that time that the team that obviously should have won the flag did not and that was in 1993, 2008... even though there have been a few close ones in that time.

(Of course some would also argue 1999 - But I personally find making such an argument about a Non Grand Finalist a bit of a stretch.)

So that is 2 at most 3 out 26 years where things went the wrong way and largely out of bad luck... so you are looking at a 1 in 13 or at best 1 in 8 chance in something like that happening.

post-2906-0-19298400-1428550278_thumb.jp

I agree with you, just saying there's always a chance things can go wrong...

attachicon.gif49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f.jpg

True - Sadly for me I think Port Melbourne's history in Grand Finals from 1983 to 2010 in the VFA/VFL is the best proof of such a fact.

Edited by cadete

attachicon.gif49ded2238ba4eaaca94bf22f509c13db3e7699d8a1934664cd942a491650b05f.jpg

True - Sadly for me I think Port Melbourne's history in Grand Finals from 1983 to 2010 in the VFA/VFL is the best proof of such a fact.

Yep, and probably Hepburn in my local league. Had the best side prob 7 years in a row but only managed four flags.

Not saying you wouldn't take that mind you....

Yep, and probably Hepburn in my local league. Had the best side prob 7 years in a row but only managed four flags.

Not saying you wouldn't take that mind you....

Well interesting enough my side in Perth: East Fremantle have actually won 29 Flags and lost 28 Grand Finals so that probably takes the cake in terms of under achievement even when you take into account how many more flags they have won than the other clubs alongside the fact the club has had a traditionally small and very local supporter base.

Mind you despite hating them as a club I always sort solace as a Geelong kid that I had not be an East Perf kid in the 60's as they lost the following Grand Finals: 1960, 1961 then 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1971 so that was 7 lost Grand Finals in eleven years with four coming consecutively after an earlier period of back to back loses.

This whole period was book ended by flags in 1958, 1959 and then the drought breaker 1972 but the club was by the largest, richest, and most supported in the state (FWIW they almost entered the VFL instead of the WCE). They also went into most of those games as the favorite and they also had a certain Dominant Ruckman play in a number of those teams.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

When you think of the hawks who didn't play on the weekend you realise how scary their depth is.

Inside mids: O'Rourke went no. 3 in the draft a few years back, Woodward won the liston last year, Simpkin is a premiership player.

Outside Mids: Hartung beat Brad Hill's beep test at the draft camp and is a goalkicking wingman, has a lot of talent but needs to improve his hardness. Sicily is another outside player who has a lot of tricks, will get a taste of senior footy this year.

Talls: O'Brien probably the most talented tall not in the seniors, Litherland looked like an afl standard defender last year, Shoenmakers could play the odd game up forward if required, Spangher is a premiership player.

Rucks: Hale (say no more)

All these players bar maybe Simpkin will play senior footy this year when guys like Lake, Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Roughead, Birchall & Rioli are rested.

Its ours to lose but look back at the 2014 prelim. Port were done and dusted but they almost pipped us by showing incredible fight. The Hawks were in full panic mode and thats their only weakness imo. Theyre so used to controlling games that if you rattle them they can shit the bed. Who knows if anyone can actually rattle them at the G deep into September though. Im confident we can win it but i felt that way in 2012 too.

Edited by HeartFc

When you think of the hawks who didn't play on the weekend you realise how scary their depth is.

Inside mids: O'Rourke went no. 3 in the draft a few years back, Woodward won the liston last year, Simpkin is a premiership player.

Outside Mids: Hartung beat Brad Hill's beep test at the draft camp and is a goalkicking wingman, has a lot of talent but needs to improve his hardness. Sicily is another outside player who has a lot of tricks, will get a taste of senior footy this year.

Talls: O'Brien probably the most talented tall not in the seniors, Litherland looked like an afl standard defender last year, Shoenmakers could play the odd game up forward if required, Spangher is a premiership player.

Rucks: Hale (say no more)

All these players bar maybe Simpkin will play senior footy this year when guys like Lake, Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Roughead, Birchall & Rioli are rested.

Hawks supporter?

• hedaik locked this topic