Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

Time to fold the Suns and bring in South!

Thanks for that.

Losing to Melbourne and Saints? going to be a long season.

Aren't south in Sydney now? Did you miss 1982? (Which by the way was done in a total bullshit way and was so nasty to the south supporters, so if you're dirty I get it)

• Like 1

Much better today. I thought Geelong would flog us, but if we'd kicked straight we would have won.

Geelong were down to one on the bench, with no key backs (except for Taylor). You should've accounted for them easily.We are the team that lost easily to both Melbourne and St Kilda, who both surely got mentions when pre-season candidates for the wooden spoon were discussed. we easily look like the worst team in the league after 2 games & I truly expected an all mighty hiding in Geelong, regardless of their injury situation.

So ok a decent team would have won today, I get that, but we are right now the worst team in the league, so the only hope is that we at least improve, which this game indicates we are.

Edited by Shahanga

Much better today. I thought Geelong would flog us, but if we'd kicked straight we would have won.

Geelong were down to one on the bench, with no key backs (except for Taylor). You should've accounted for them easily. We are the team that lost easily to both Melbourne and St Kilda, who both surely got mentions when pre-season candidates for the wooden spoon were discussed. we easily look like the worst team in the league after 2 games & I truly expected an all mighty hiding in Geelong, regardless of their injury situation.

So ok a decent team would have won today, I get that, but we are right now the worst team in the league, so the only hope is that we at least improve, which this game indicates we are.

You played another bunch of kids for most of the match and I dont like bringing umpiring into stuff but you did get two goals from very bad umpiring... its been four years now and there is no way you should not have run over the top of us.

You are right CAdete. We are terrible and I'm not happy.

I should have just left my post at that. I suspect people who don't follow the club are only now starting to realise how poor we have been this season. Will do well to avoid the spoon.

Edited by Shahanga

Mate so are we...

Our midfield setup from bounces has to be close to worst in the league... the amount of times we dont just allow every opposition side we play to not just clear the ball but actually run away with the ball and get an effective kick is terribly frustrating.

Our kick outs are shockingly ineffective and almost always down the line to a 50/50, whilst our defensive pressure up forward is near non existent and we have lost all of the backline composure that we once built a dynasty of... if the game had been in the GC you would have beaten us by over five goals.

We are going to get pumped next week, I honestly I have reset my best expectations for us this year to not finish any lower than 12th as (I have probably mentioned this before) we are the only club to have never finished lower than 12th so I just dont want to see that happen at this point.

• Like 1

Mate so are we...

Our midfield setup from bounces has to be close to worst in the league... the amount of times we dont just allow every opposition side we play to not just clear the ball but actually run away with the ball and get an effective kick is terribly frustrating.

Our kick outs are shockingly ineffective and almost always down the line to a 50/50, whilst our defensive pressure up forward is near non existent and we have lost all of the backline composure that we once built a dynasty of... if the game had been in the GC you would have beaten us by over five goals.

We are going to get pumped next week, I honestly I have reset my best expectations for us this year to not finish any lower than 12th as (I have probably mentioned this before) we are the only club to have never finished lower than 12th so I just dont want to see that happen at this point.

100% agree. Selwood needs support in the middle, Guthrie can probably hold his head up but the rest of the mids just haven't developed as well as we thought they would.

• Like 1

Mate so are we...

100% agree. Selwood needs support in the middle, Guthrie can probably hold his head up but the rest of the mids just haven't developed as well as we thought they would.

TBH I always knew these guys would not be as good players once they had to go up a class and be first stringers... and your right about Guthrie but he was a top pick after all (I guess a positive is that he had a year or so where he was out of the side after debuting and some had doubts on him so hopefully a few others are like this as well).

Experience will help and hopefully Wells has been able to find a few diamonds in the rough with the late draft picks that success has obviously brought us, there is already some evidence of this of course with the recruiting of guys like Blitz as a rookie.

I have to admit I am personally a bit worried about Cocky... I probably would have preferred the club to use the pick on a more natural midfielder with solid skills than a freakish speedster but anyway.

Plus side is its not going to be so hard to get a seat a KP over the next couple of years. 

Really Guthrie is doing more then his job. He was pick 23 and in hindsight it would only be Luke Parker and perhaps Paul Puopolo that have been more worthwhile.

The lack of development of Horlin-Smith, Smedts and to a lesser extent Caddy and Duncan that is stopping Geelong from being a threat to the leagues top teams.

Also, if there was a worse player that played AFL football on the weekend then Jordan Murdoch I'd be very surprised.

Really Guthrie is doing more then his job. He was pick 23 and in hindsight it would only be Luke Parker and perhaps Paul Puopolo that have been more worthwhile.

The lack of development of Horlin-Smith, Smedts and to a lesser extent Caddy and Duncan that is stopping Geelong from being a threat to the leagues top teams.

Also, if there was a worse player that played AFL football on the weekend then Jordan Murdoch I'd be very surprised.

Yeah - I was moaning to Baz all day about Murdoch not going near it... problem is he does have the speed and polish to be a League Footballer who could win you a tight last term of footy. We all remember how longer Steve Johnson took to become Stevie J.

I normally spend all day complaining about Smedts except he was suspended yesterday, he clearly was shopped around and nobody wanted to take up that last year of his contract because there is no way Taylor Hunt deserved to go before him... his attitude is poor and the amount of clangers he performs is like a back pocket in the early 90's.

Caddy is overrated by Cats fans as well... he has some good hard to find qualities like natural ball sense and his best ability of keeping his feet in tackles but a lot of his clearances from bounces are rushed short kicks which get you nowhere these days.

Duncan has always been overrated... would be a Good Flanker in say the 2009 team but his not anywhere near a 2009 Team Midfielder.

Horlin-Smith and Caddy will hopefully develop to players similar to Corey and Chappy, but I have doubts Smedts and Murdoch will be able to step up.

Horlin-Smith and Caddy will hopefully develop to players similar to Corey and Chappy, but I have doubts Smedts and Murdoch will be able to step up.

I think Caddy still has the potential to be very good... lets not forget after a fantastic debut Bartel was almost traded at one point a few years later because they thought he had stopped progressing and they are similar types.

I am also not worried about Horlin-Smith as I think he's an over 100 game player as well... just needs to be of a more physical blocking type like as you mentioned Corey was which enabled Ablett and later Kelly to cause so much havoc in running out clearances.

Murdoch could go either way... and like I said before Smedts would have to completely transform in my mind to make it as an AFL player. What annoys me about him is that he also strikes me as the type that would give up the game altogether if delisted.

These types of players have always given me the shits because every second week I go watch a bunch of blokes in Port Melbourne jumpers playing against AFL listed players and getting paid less to do so than they would in Regional/Local Leagues just because they have the desire to play the highest grade of footy possible.

Yeah - I was moaning to Baz all day about Murdoch not going near it... problem is he does have the speed and polish to be a League Footballer who could win you a tight last term of footy. We all remember how longer Steve Johnson took to become Stevie J.

I normally spend all day complaining about Smedts except he was suspended yesterday, he clearly was shopped around and nobody wanted to take up that last year of his contract because there is no way Taylor Hunt deserved to go before him... his attitude is poor and the amount of clangers he performs is like a back pocket in the early 90's.

Caddy is overrated by Cats fans as well... he has some good hard to find qualities like natural ball sense and his best ability of keeping his feet in tackles but a lot of his clearances from bounces are rushed short kicks which get you nowhere these days.

Duncan has always been overrated... would be a Good Flanker in say the 2009 team but his not anywhere near a 2009 Team Midfielder.

How long did it take Stevie J to come on? I remember watching him waaay back at Skilled and I always thought he looked a jet.

How long did it take Stevie J to come on? I remember watching him waaay back at Skilled and I always thought he looked a jet.

He was quite flashy for a long period and never consistent.

As a side note I hope Menzel can come back from his knee reco's, plays like Stevie J.

As a side note I hope Menzel can come back from his knee reco's, plays like Stevie J.

He started reasonably well for a kid and played very good memorable game early on to suggest his talent when he kicked 4 goals in a surprise win against a GF bound Collingwood at the MCG prior to when we started to make the finals as a young side.

However when we started making finals as the Young Cats/Young Saints era in the Mid 2000's he was very very inconsistent, could be very one handy day, then shit and cost us a number goals by trying to do to much the next, and even find himself outside of the side. He eventually almost famously ended up traded to Collingwood before he was retained but then banished from training with the team for the first few weeks of 2007 for the infamous drink driving incident. This proved the turning point of his career and he literally came back a completely different player.

The funny thing is that despite a Norm Smith Medal, he was still the biggest whipping boy in the Standing Section of KP well after 2007... it was only probably towards the end of the 2008 Season that the grumbling really started to stop about him and Mooney (Which never truly stopped amongst some).

TBH out of the Geelong players I have seen play since like 1989 who have ended up (or will end up) def considered as a Club Champion by Cats Fans... Johnson is def the one to have risen from the lowest standing amongst supporters. 

NOTE: I dont even put Menzel into squad calculations when I talk Geelong as I know sadly his never going to recover and I basically see Vardy the same way.

Edited by cadete

He started reasonably well for a kid and played very good memorable game early on to suggest his talent when he kicked 4 goals in a surprise win against a GF bound Collingwood at the MCG prior to when we started to make the finals as a young side.

However when we started making finals as the Young Cats/Young Saints era in the Mid 2000's he was very very inconsistent, could be very one handy day, then shit and cost us a number goals by trying to do to much the next, and even find himself outside of the side. He eventually almost famously ended up traded to Collingwood before he was retained but then banished from training with the team for the first few weeks of 2007 for the infamous drink driving incident. This proved the turning point of his career and he literally came back a completely different player.

The funny thing is that despite a Norm Smith Medal, he was still the biggest whipping boy in the Standing Section of KP well after 2007... it was only probably towards the end of the 2008 Season that the grumbling really started to stop about him and Mooney (Which never truly stopped amongst some).

TBH out of the Geelong players I have seen play since like 1989 who have ended up (or will end up) def considered as a Club Champion by Cats Fans... Johnson is def the one to have risen from the lowest standing amongst supporters. 

NOTE: I dont even put Menzel into squad calculations when I talk Geelong as I know sadly his never going to recover and I basically see Vardy the same way.

Interesting. Although I've loved ripping into Geelong and their fans for as long as I can remember, Johnson has always been one of my favourite players in the league.

Also, it is a shame about Menzel and Vardy. In my opinion, they're your two most talented young players.

Interesting. Although I've loved ripping into Geelong and their fans for as long as I can remember, Johnson has always been one of my favourite players in the league.

Also, it is a shame about Menzel and Vardy. In my opinion, they're your two most talented young players.

Agreed - They were...

Menzel before he did his injury was in the process of dismantling Hawthorn in a quarter and a half of finals footy as a kid.

But that's footy or what we Cats fans refer simply to as: Paul Lynch.

Agreed - They were...

Menzel before he did his injury was in the process of dismantling Hawthorn in a quarter and a half of finals footy as a kid.

Ha, Paul Lynch was my old mans favourite player. Remember him dismantling North one Friday Night. Had more soft tissue injuries than you have had posts.

We're turning this thread into Geelong 1990 and beyond. I'm enjoying it.

How long did it take Stevie J to come on? I remember watching him waaay back at Skilled and I always thought he looked a jet. He was quite flashy for a long period and never consistent.

As a side note I hope Menzel can come back from his knee reco's, plays like Stevie J. He started reasonably well for a kid and played very good memorable game early on to suggest his talent when he kicked 4 goals in a surprise win against a GF bound Collingwood at the MCG prior to when we started to make the finals as a young side.

Also, it is a shame about Menzel and Vardy. In my opinion, they're your two most talented young players. Agreed - They were...

Ha, Paul Lynch was my old mans favourite player. Remember him dismantling North one Friday Night. Had more soft tissue injuries than you have had posts.

We're turning this thread into Geelong 1990 and beyond. I'm enjoying it.

He chased down Wayne Carey that night... is usually the next thing mentioned.

And just for good measure the honour roll of shit late 90's/early 2000's Geelong attempts at recruiting a Key Forward from another club: Brett Spinks, Jason Mooney, Mitchell White (Obv when he got to us TBF) and of course Kant Kicksley.

Stumbled across this old article. After hearing Cadete often refer to Essendon's salary cap breaches when they won the 93 flag.

Not having a crack at anyone just an interesting read. Had no idea how many breaches there had been

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-list-of-club-salary-cap-breaches-is-long-as-the-adelaide-crows-await-their-fate/story-e6frf9io-1226515655156

• hedaik locked this topic