Melbourne Football

The Ivan Franjic thread

kingofhearts

Everyone on here makes it out as if we're the only team who ever gets injuries, Sydney FC had 4 starting XI players suffer season-ending injuries in the first half of the season.

The real challenge is how teams cope after these sorts of injuries with regards to depth, signing quality injury replacements and being flexible with adjusting tactics and formations, and that's where we have typically fallen short. 

well we all have an issue with JVS - it just doesn't help he keeps signing injury prone players. 

Everyone on here makes it out as if we're the only team who ever gets injuries, Sydney FC had 4 starting XI players suffer season-ending injuries in the first half of the season.

The real challenge is how teams cope after these sorts of injuries with regards to depth, signing quality injury replacements and being flexible with adjusting tactics and formations, and that's where we have typically fallen short.

True. But did they have over 20 players that had injuries during the season?

True. But that's not the issue here. What we're talking about is signing (and re-signing) players who have a known history of injuries. In Gameiro's case, an ACL injury, which is a pretty significant injury for a footballer.

Surely we have enough on-field injuries to make it somewhat foolish to go out and sign players with an injury history?

You mention squad depth in terms of how a club manages injuries. We're already starting 2015/16 with known crocks and deadwood, which makes the task harder.

True. But that's not the issue here. What we're talking about is signing (and re-signing) players who have a known history of injuries. In Gameiro's case, an ACL injury, which is a pretty significant injury for a footballer.

Surely we have enough on-field injuries to make it somewhat foolish to go out and sign players with an injury history?

You mention squad depth in terms of how a club manages injuries. We're already starting 2015/16 with known crocks and deadwood, which makes the task harder.

There wouldn't be a single club in the a league that wouldn't sign Gameiro given the ability. Most players have had injuries in their career at some point.

• Like 3

It's interesting we've signed Franjic, which is a good signing, but who's been injured and we're looking to sign Gameiro who has also had a long term injury. Hope JVS knows what he's doing.

That's why on paper we look like a good side, but in reality we're only 6th-7th best! Coz we keep looking for cheap deals on players coming off an injury!

Paartalu coming back after being grinded to the ground,

Kennedy coming back after back injury,

Chapman coming back after Glandular fever,

Franjic coming back after injury,

Gameiro coming back after knee injury,

Koren coming from the EPL @34yo does his calf...

Even Dugandzic coming back from ankle/foot injury (although I think he was already contracted).

Melling was our only decent signing of last year's off-season who wasn't actually injured when we signed him.

It's interesting we've signed Franjic, which is a good signing, but who's been injured and we're looking to sign Gameiro who has also had a long term injury. Hope JVS knows what he's doing.

That's why on paper we look like a good side, but in reality we're only 6th-7th best! Coz we keep looking for cheap deals on players coming off an injury!

Paartalu coming back after being grinded to the ground,

Kennedy coming back after back injury,

Chapman coming back after Glandular fever,

Franjic coming back after injury,

Gameiro coming back after knee injury,

Koren coming from the EPL @34yo does his calf...

Even Dugandzic coming back from ankle/foot injury (although I think he was already contracted).

Melling was our only decent signing of last year's off-season who wasn't actually injured when we signed him.

Koren, Chapman, Paartalu weren't injured or coming off injuries when we signed them.

Koren had just regained fitness after missing most of the second half of Hull's season before he came to us

Sorry, but that's not borne out by the records. He had a broken foot early in the season, and missed four EPL matches and one League Cup match September/October 2013. That's all. Didn't play much football, that's true, but it wasn't because of injury.

And he just said #7 also just became available. Who was #7?

Ramsay.

Coincidentally our other new signing is a right winger, the traditional #7 position, so maybe he rejected it and so it became available for Franjic.

Would like to see Franjic take #2.

It wouldn't surprise me if the club attempts to sign Franjic again. The club seems to target the players it wants to sign pretty heavily. The club made multiple attempts to sign Mooy before it secured him, and the club also tried to sign Paartalu multiple times over roughly a 12 month period before a deal was done.

So don't be surprised if reports linking Franjic and Melbourne City emerge at the end of the season.

I should have claimed some obscure in-the-know connection to Franjic when I posted this 4 months ago..

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if the club attempts to sign Franjic again. The club seems to target the players it wants to sign pretty heavily. The club made multiple attempts to sign Mooy before it secured him, and the club also tried to sign Paartalu multiple times over roughly a 12 month period before a deal was done.

So don't be surprised if reports linking Franjic and Melbourne City emerge at the end of the season.

I should have claimed some obscure in-the-know connection to Franjic when I posted this 4 months ago.. And there we have it folks.

The Greek construction worker is murfy1.

• Like 2

Interestingly we don't have anyone with #8, why wasn't Franjic offered that? :hmm:

There was the suggestion that they're still making up their minds about offering him a new contract, this not announcing that he'd been released before he signed for Avondale/ still not announcing it. Possibly number 8 not being offered ties into that. Or maybe they just didn't want to offer it for another reason. Who knows.

Interestingly we don't have anyone with #8, why wasn't Franjic offered that? :hmm:

There was the suggestion that they're still making up their minds about offering him a new contract, this not announcing that he'd been released before he signed for Avondale/ still not announcing it. Possibly number 8 not being offered ties into that. Or maybe they just didn't want to offer it for another reason. Who knows.

We need to delete Koren, cut and paste Mooy to AM and find a deep lying play maker to wear the number 8.

We need to delete Koren, cut and paste Mooy to AM and find a deep lying play maker to wear the number 8.

Mooy is better deep when he can win the ball back and move the ball on from our defenders

Mooy is better deep when he can win the ball back and move the ball on from our defenders

Except he hates it there.

• Like 1

Except he hates it there.

I'm not sure Mooy 'hates' it as the number 8. But Mooy does seem to dislike being the number 6 (also called the defensive midfielder or holding midfielder), who's job is to protect the back 4.

So as long as Paartalu or someone else is the number 6, I think Mooy is fine as either the number 8 or the slightly more advanced number 10.

Another point is that Melbourne City's coaches have given Mooy the freedom (and seem to encourage) Mooy to make runs into the box, whereas at WSW Popovic reportedly explicitly instructed Mooy not to be an attacking player who makes runs into the box. So either in the number 8 or number 10 positions at City, Mooy seems to have enough freedom to be the more attack-minded midfielder that he wants to be, which is a big contrast with WSW, where Popovic is obsessed with defending, and seems hellbent on playing with a very defensive midfield, seemingly always with 2 classic number 6s, and Popovic (very mistakenly) tries to convert more creative midfielders like Mooy and Takahagi into number 6s/defensive midfielders. 

Furthermore, the ideal City midfield seems to be one that's very mobile and fluid, so the specific positions/numbers aren't that important with regards to how the midfielders play/are expected to play.

Anyway Mooy's perfectly slotted into the City midfield, and I'm sure he'll be more than happy if he can reproduce this season's performances next season, no matter the technical name of the position he might theoretically play in.

Edited by Murfy1

MR PERSONALITY: FRANJIC NOT FRANTIC IN BIG-GAME BUILD-UP

15 JUN 2015

By Greg Prichard

The World Game takes its Mr Personality series to the international stage by talking to Socceroo defender Ivan Franjic in the lead-up to our opening 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying game against Kyrgyzstan in Bishkek on Tuesday night.

TWG: What has it been like in the Socceroos camp, getting together at the start of a campaign aimed at the 2018 World Cup finals?

IF: It's been great. The games against Germany and Macedonia were the last time we were together and we're all supporting each other on this long road to Russia. Everyone's training well and we can't wait until the game on Tuesday night.

What about Ange Postecoglou, has he said a lot to the group and you individually at this stage?

He has said a lot to the group. It's about continuing to do what we've been doing, which has brought the team success this year, and the importance of starting off well in this journey. He hasn't gone into detail individually yet, but I'm sure he'll be doing a lot of talking in the 48 hours before the game.

What do you find normally happens in these camps? Are there sometimes individual sessions and at other times no need for a focus on that?

It's always more of a collective thing. It's important every player pulls his weight and everyone has done that in this camp. So far it's been the best preparation you could want for a first qualifying game.

In the wake of the Asian Cup success in particular, there must be a lot of respect and a good feeling among the players when you get together now.

Definitely. When you see the boys you're always excited and looking forward to catching up with the stories and getting out there and training with each other. The recent results have been a big reward and they prove that all the hard work is paying off.

It's a bit cooler in Bishkek, where you are now, compared to Dubai, where you were at a training camp until the weekend. How did you handle the 38-degree days there?

Personally, I love the heat. I grew up in Brisbane, where it was very humid, so I enjoy it. It was very humid in Dubai - we weren't leaving the hotel much except for training.

When you found out who you were playing in the opening qualifier, did you have to look at a map to find out where Kyrgyzstan was?

To tell you the truth I didn't know exactly where it was. I knew it was near Russia, so I knew roughly where it was. I didn't look at a map, but they told me it was going to be a four-hour flight from Dubai.

Before arriving, what did you know about the country of Kyrgyzstan and the city where you're going to play?

Not much, but I'm always excited to see a new part of the world and I'm looking forward to getting out there and playing.

You've been to a lot of different countries as a footballer. You like to get out and experience the country a bit if you can, don't you?

Yeah, it's always good seeing the world, but most importantly it's about football and playing well and getting the result we need. It was always a dream of mine to play for my country and hopefully I've got a long career left at this level.

You've got a really young newbie in the squad this time around with 18 year-old Danny De Silva. How has he been?

He's been doing very well. He's a very exciting player and a huge prospect for the future. He's definitely a mature person beyond his years and he has taken pretty naturally to being in this camp. He's going to Roma after this and he deserves the opportunity. It's a great move for him and hopefully it works out well.

How do you feel about being back in the A-League with Melbourne City and having your future sorted out?

It was a long and hard decision on what to do and for the next couple of years I've come back to the A-League and I'm very happy about that. Signing with a go-ahead club like Melbourne City is something special.

It's always difficult for players when they go overseas and things don't work out as they would like. It must have been tough for you towards the end in Russia, not getting paid by your club. That would be last on the list of things you want to have to deal with, wouldn't it?

Yes, but I don't regret going to Russia at all. It was a tough time, but I missed both pre-seasons which cost me dearly because I was sure I was good enough to play there. It is what it is and obviously when we didn't get paid, a few players - and I was one of them - decided to leave and find a new club.

That is just another experience in life, hey?

Yeah, exactly. I'd go back to Russia for the right opportunity. It's a great league and now I know more about the league over there, so no regrets there at all.

How cold was the coldest day for you in Russia?

I think the coldest it got to was minus 18. There was snow and the field was rock-hard and icy, but we still trained in it - dressed up warm and got out there. It was a different experience and I still enjoyed it.

What was Russian TV like?

I never really watched it. All the shows were in Russian - the English shows were dubbed with Russian voices - so I couldn't understand them. I just watched a bit of football here and there.

Who is the most fun in the Socceroos squad? Who keeps things buzzing?

It's always good listening to Jason Davidson and Tim Cahill. They've got a lot of stories they don't mind sharing. They've each got a good sense of humour and they keep us entertained. They're both good guys.

If you could be anyone in the world for a day, who would it be?

Probably Jean-Claude Van Damme. I used to watch a lot of his action movies when I was younger. It was always good entertainment. I imagine it would be fun, being in one of those movies.

If you had unlimited cash to go anywhere in the world or buy anything you wanted, what would you do?

I'd probably buy a yacht and go to the Croatian coast and relax for a month or so in the summer. I love going there - it's just a beautiful place.

What do you do to get yourself in the mood before a big game, or do you have to do nothing at all?

I do nothing. I just relax all day and don't really think about the game. I just treat it as another day until the game comes and when I get to the stadium I switch on and go through my preparation. I listen to some music before the game, but it's always different. There's no particular type of music I have to listen to - it's just to keep me relaxed. I don't have to listen to AC/DC or anything like that to pump myself up.

Ange said in a recent interview that he wants the Socceroos to qualify with a purpose from this point on and not to be satisfied with just getting to the World Cup finals, but do it as the first step. You, as a player, must love that philosophy.

Oh, definitely. We want to do it in the best possible way. It's very important we make a statement and ideally the boys want to do that by going out there and winning every game. We want to produce great performances and make the Australian public proud of the team. We don't want to go to the World Cup just to make up the numbers - we want to go as far as possible and try to win it. But, most importantly, here at the start, we want to focus on Tuesday night's game against Kyrgyzstan.

You probably just half-answered this question, but do you believe the day will come when the Socceroos go deep into a World Cup finals?

I definitely believe so. Anything's possible. The ball is round and it's 11 players per side and Australia is developing as a nation in football, so I think each World Cup will only get better and better for us. Hopefully it will happen during my time as a Socceroo and we'll qualify for the next World Cup with purpose, like Ange says, and do very well in it.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/06/15/mr-personality-franjic-not-frantic-big-game-build

Behich > Franjic

At least Franjic can cross a bit better, probably about a 3% chance of successful cross against Behich's 0.1%

Behich is better (or greater than) because he is (in your view) even worse at crossing?

I meant in general Behich is better but Franjic is better at crossing (only because it isn't possible to be worse at crossing than Behich).

• Like 1