Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

26 minutes ago, Chris p said:

HadĀ a look at his record on transfermarkt? Has barely played because of injury. Good player, like him, but no thanks. Otherwise we'll be building another wing on the Germano Treatment Centre.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

HadĀ a look at his record on transfermarkt? Has barely played because of injury. Good player, like him, but no thanks. Otherwise we'll be building another wing on the Germano Treatment Centre.

He has had serious injury issues that's true, but it's not his first team action you should be looking at. How often has he played in the U23s recently?

That's the side (rightly or wrongly) he has been considered for selection in.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

He has had serious injury issues that's true, but it's not his first team action you should be looking at. How often has he played in the U23s recently?

That's the side (rightly or wrongly) he has been considered for selection in.

That's all on transfermarkt. 14 matches in what they call "Premier league 2, Division 2." He missed rounds 1,2, 8,9,10 and 16. AsĀ far as I can make out there are 22 matches in the season and he hasn't played since round 20 on 13th March, so possibly he's missed more.

Curtis has just turned 24. With our history of injuries I'd be very wary of signing him. That was my main point.

I'd have him if we built a strong squad and his addition was seen as supplemental. Priority should be getting in another quality centre-half and potentially replacing Jakobsen unless we feel his calf injuries are past him come the end of the season.

Once that's out of the way then yes, I would consider Curtis Good if his wages were reasonable, but relying on a player with such a shocking injury record wouldn't be a smart move.

At the end of the day, there is probably very little chance of him coming here cheap. As far as I know from Newcastle forums and such he's on a relatively high wage over there. Nothing earth-shattering but still a fairly high figure for the A League. As much as I love Good, with his injury record I wouldn't be massively keen on having him back just simply because he will take up so much cap room. If the FFA hadn't brought in the Frank Lampard rule then he'd probably already be back in the A League on loan tbh.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

This season we've hardly had the same CB pairing for 2 games in a row. What we need is either a fit Jakobsen or a fit healthy experienced CB who can pair with Tongyik. We have Malik as a backup option so I can't see any benefit in signing Good, only risk

Perfectly adequate defenders we've let go who don't cost a fortune - Brendan Hamill, Jack Clisby, Klim Taseski....

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

Clisby was shit for us

I'd have said he was average tbh. Certainly gave better performances than Malik and Muscat have (aside from Malik's absolute blinders every 15 games or so).

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Perfectly adequate defenders we've let go who don't cost a fortune - Brendan Hamill, Jack Clisby, Klim Taseski....

Bit revisionist.

Hamill went overseas, so he wasnt really let go. Clisby was the forum whipping boy, and even though I thought he did ok as a full back, the games he played cb he was bloody dreadful.

Won't comment on Taseski as I didnt watch season one anywhere near as close as the rest of the seasons.

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Bit revisionist.

Hamill went overseas, so he wasnt really let go. Clisby was the forum whipping boy, and even though I thought he did ok as a full back, the games he played cb he was bloody dreadful.

Won't comment on Taseski as I didnt watch season one anywhere near as close as the rest of the seasons.

A simple Wikipedia search tells me he's been bouncing around in the NPL since we let him go (with a short stint in Sweden it seems), so clearly he's a world beater...

As BT states, that list is pretty revisionist. I personally would've held on to Clisby as a squad player but I believe there were some personality problems amongst that group of younger guys they let go (Mauk, Garrucio, Clisby).Ā 

Hammil went overseas and who knows what our cap situation was when he was available to come back.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Bit revisionist.

Fair enough. But in seven seasons wouldn't you hope that the club would actually progress? We could have had Hamill back, we actually chased Clisby to get him from Perth, and Taseski was good when I saw him. All young players, with an opportunity to improve. Instead in season 7 we have Muscat and Rose, two rejects from their previous clubs. Of course they're not CBs, but I'd make the same point about Wilkinson. AFAIK he actually wanted to stay with us but we let him go - perhaps we couldn't afford him, I don't know. We just don't seem to progress in our thinking. Anyway, that's the way I feel about it.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Fair enough. But in seven seasons wouldn't you hope that the club would actually progress? We could have had Hamill back, we actually chased Clisby to get him from Perth, and Taseski was good when I saw him. All young players, with an opportunity to improve. Instead in season 7 we have Muscat and Rose, two rejects from their previous clubs. Of course they're not CBs, but I'd make the same point about Wilkinson. AFAIK he actually wanted to stay with us but we let him go - perhaps we couldn't afford him, I don't know. We just don't seem to progress in our thinking. Anyway, that's the way I feel about it.

Of course you would hope that we'd progress, but the current system has shown that full backs are incredibly difficult to find in the A-League due to a) the salary cap and b )Ā lack of decent Australian options in that position. It's frustrating, but its also a common problem thats probably hardest to solve. As far as CB's go, I was happy with the list at the start as far Jakobsen and Malik/Chapman as the main options, with Tongyik and Malik/Chapman as the backups. You then had Rose and Muscat as emergencies if we really got hit by injury.Ā Arguably we should have taken another a visa CB but that kind of tells the young guys we have no faith in you.
Chapman left cos he was third choice and wanted more game time, fair enough, but we probably never replaced him with another genuine CB. And, had Jakobsen not had this horrid injury layoff, we prob wouldnt have needed one. It's also easy to say that what we needed, but finding a replacement CB that was going to be australian, cheap and most importantly, better than what we had is nearly an impossible task in January. IMO both Malik and Tongyik are capable CB's when paired with a general, but they dont work together because they are identical players. We didnt find that out until they actually played together.

As for Wilko, his family remained in Sydney for the second half of last season so he wanted to go back there. I was told by one of the other players that he told the club he'd only stay if we qualified for ACL and that money wasnt a major factor in the decision.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

History has shown you need 3 centre backs good enough to start and a 4th you can play if desperate.

In Jacobsen we have our No 1, if Tongyik improves, our No 3 and Malik is our No 4. We therefore need a starting centre back who can be first choice to partner Jacobsen or lead the defence if Jacobsen is out.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Chris p said:

Well i think the a-league is less rigorous than the championship and its not like he would be our most important defenderĀ 

curtis and hamil were our main center backs when before they went onto bigger things in the heart days. Ā they were solid, i would say the most solid our cb defence ever was, besides with kisnorbo at the back

edit: would probably give anything for aziz as well right now

Edited by Originalmeme
addition

16 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

curtis and hamil were our main center backs when before they went onto bigger things in the heart days. Ā they were solid, i would say the most solid our cb defence ever was, besides with kisnorbo at the back

edit: would probably give anything for aziz as well right now

I think that they were only "solid" when Madaschi was beside either of them

the 2 together was a bit of a worry

Ā 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Jacob Tratt has been released by Pheonix for family reasons and has returned to Sydney.
He can play CB and RB and has been pretty decent this season for the Nix.

I reckon he is worth a look for next season.

Yeah was just thinking this, thought he had a decent season. He's much younger than Muscat alsoĀ 

9 hours ago, haz said:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/positive-news-for-city-target-good-458117

Were looking at Curtis Good apparently. Seems to be a typical "forum rumour" a journalist has picked up.... Jeez can't wait till we sign Iniesta.

Fuck i love when people take a good forum rumour and report it as news lmao

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

I want to here you fellas opinion if Gamiero should be released as he has suffered three acl injuries and will probably not play. I like Gamiero but if he is taking up a spot and hasnt played for 2 seasons or even longer, then he should be released

IMO he will be released. Unsure whether Kuzi will be as well. We already have a third ACL (Brandan - and the club has so far been very coy over the precise nature of his injury and his likely return to football) and no club can afford to have three players signed to the seniors who are injured in this way unless we have ready made injury replacements lined up and approved by FFA.

In the A-League there is, unfortunately, just no room to carry injured players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

I want to here you fellas opinion if Gamiero should be released as he has suffered three acl injuries and will probably not play. I like Gamiero but if he is taking up a spot and hasnt played for 2 seasons or even longer, then he should be released

It depends on the medical report. I think that he's now done each ACL rather than the same one repeatedly. If his prognosis is good then I'd give him a 1 year contract to prove himself. Kuzi has another year on his contract to go I think

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It depends on the medical report. I think that he's now done each ACL rather than the same one repeatedly. If his prognosis is good then I'd give him a 1 year contract to prove himself. Kuzi has another year on his contract to go I think

Check the "Player Contracts" thread Bela. Both contracts expire on 31st May 2017.

Gameiro has done two ACL's in one leg (I think the left) and one in the other. The harsh reality of football is that he has very little chance of returning to A-League football. Arnold wanted to keep him, but on only a minimum contract; we offered him more.Ā Arnold has been proven an astute manager once again.

2 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Is it possible that he could stay at the club via the NPL or the youth team.

Are we still looking at Dylan McGowan, or did he sign a new contract? He's coming into form as a goal scoring CB atm.

Woundnt mind this defence.

-------------------New GK--------------------

-----Visa CB--Jakobson--McGowan----

Franjic---------------------------------New RB

1 hour ago, haz said:

Are we still looking at Dylan McGowan, or did he sign a new contract? He's coming into form as a goal scoring CB atm.

Woundnt mind this defence.

-------------------New GK--------------------

-----Visa CB--Jakobson--McGowan----

Franjic---------------------------------New RB

Commentators said in the match he's off to Scotland.Ā 

The a-league transfer process is just a joke, with mediocre players constanatly recycled, average players returning from failed overseas ventures, and young players with potential wasting away and missing their window of opportunity before disappearing into the abyss of lower division football.Ā 

Get rid of the salary cap, free up player restrictions and get a genuine 2nd division with a criteria for promotion (and relegation into the future).

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

I'm still somewhat doubtful about the signings of Delianov, Pierias and Genreau to the seniors for next season. Particularly Delianov - I find it difficult to believe that our reserve goalkeeper is going to be a 17-y-o who hasn't even made the City bench yet?Ā I've listed themĀ under Player Contracts but I'm not convinced that they are not still on Scholarship Contracts.

As it stands, we already haven't got a lot of room for new blood for next season.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm still somewhat doubtful about the signings of Delianov, Pierias and Genreau to the seniors for next season. Particularly Delianov - I find it difficult to believe that our reserve goalkeeper is going to be a 17-y-o who hasn't even made the City bench yet?Ā I've listed themĀ under Player Contracts but I'm not convinced that they are not still on Scholarship Contracts.

As it stands, we already haven't got a lot of room for new blood for next season.

I was under the impression they were going to be our three youth players that count outside the 21 or whatever it was, or has that rule changed now?

• jw1739 pinned this topic